• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

LiK

Made it to ch 13. I understand the hate. After the
poison section
I put the controller down for the night. It was only 8pm. I had only played about an hour. But I had enough. I'll pick it back up today. I just want to go back outside and fight shit.

Check if you have an accessory that negates it. I happened to have one and it made that whole section a breeze.

Adaren

So I got through quite a lot of Ch. 13 last night. I imagine I must be nearing the end. Just walked past the
throne in the cage

I can criticize this game as much as anyone, but tbh I'm not finding Ch. 13 that bad. The initial part was boring but not super offensive, and the swordplay is actually fun against some enemies (and absolutely shit against others; I feel like this chapter has great examples of situations in which the combat system works and situations in which it doesn't work).

It isn't perfect, or even that good, but it's definitely true that Ch. 13 >>>>>> barren open world autopilot fetch quests.

My general impression is that the game has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY better since Chapter 9. I know that's not the consensus here, but it make me look forward to finishing it up and writing up my thoughts.

Have they mentioned anything about constant crashing? I haven't been able to get pass I think its chapter 9? or 10?

The part where you're on the train and defending it from the soldiers and what not and Noct is trying to get revenge on Ardyn
I mean everytime I reload the save it gets to the part where he starts chasing him then the sound goes out and then it crashes. Every. Single. Time. No matter what I do. It wound up corrupting my save data ( Which I wound up having to redownload from PS cloud, thank god for PS Plus uploading save data) But I cant get passed it.

It even altered other saved game data on my system. I've had to redl for other games after it crashed my PS4 multiple times. I haven't put back in, since.

Valonquar

My general stance is that the game has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY better since Chapter 9.
giphy.gif

vareon

Okay, I'm in the everyone's favorite Costlemark Tower's puzzle floor.

Took one cube, it lead me to a room with Flans and one Red Giant plus a locked dungeon door. No other way but take the cube up again. Now I can't interact with any of the cube. Is this normal or glitch?

EDIT: Okay I can interact with one. I guess it's the only way?

JBwB

Okay, I'm in the everyone's favorite Costlemark Tower's puzzle floor.

Took one cube, it lead me to a room with Flans and one Red Giant plus a locked dungeon door. No other way but take the cube up again. Now I can't interact with any of the cube. Is this normal or glitch?

Normal.

At least one of the cubes should be able to be interacted with. Check again.

SHarris78

I want to over level as much as possible but also in as little time as possible. I can currently sleep at Galdin Quay and get to level 30, finish chapter 3 and level up in later chapters OR stay in chapter 3 and continue hunts/side quests/general battles. Which would be quicker?

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
Ventured into the Formouth Garrison Dungeon and I didn't get the prompt to summon
Ramuh
during the fight. It was going on for some time but still did not get the trigger.

Am I missing some requirements with regards to summoning or can you just not do it in dungeons?

Seik

Banned
Thanks guys.

So around lvl 70-90 and can take from 55 minutes to 2 hours! I'll make sure to have a lot of time to spare before getting to it. :lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I feel like I'm missing something with the combat in this game and it's bumming me out. I have tried both wait and active modes and I kind of just feel like I'm flailing around holding down the circle button most of the time. There are usually like 5 enemies at one time and I have no idea how I am supposed to dodge attacks from all of them. I also don't really know what the point of holding different directions during combos is(as in what is the damage difference/etc.). And short of flat damage and resistances I don't know which weapons I should be using.

Has anyone else sort of experienced this? Is there a way to remedy it?

There really isn't anything to "miss", its a very shallow combat system. Wait mode does offer libra(with pointless wait times to reveal weaknesses), but beyond using proper weapons for higher damage values, its a spam fest.

In groups, its wisest to warp out of the mix and try to engage one enemy at a time from the periphery(as cluster spam from enemies can be the most dangerous thing in this game, especially when all the shit on screen obscures your vision too), or you may get lucky with some parry hits and/or link strikes given how chaotic things get leading you to unexpected back attacks. You can also use certain partner attacks to help mitigate the nonsense like Glado's wide swipe. Magic too, but point-warping in and out is most often efficient and safe in those instances, but boring.

The analog stick attacks often follow similar rules.

Forward is a single-target lunge that does some solid damage in most cases, usually a good starter.
Back is often a way to gain some distance with a follow-through powerful charge attack(varies by weapon but Lance/Greatsword do this and are solid for opportunity strikes like when an enemy is knocked down).
Side swipes and neutral attacks just kind of do chain damage and slight wide hits but aren't as thoughtful in implementation. I find its all not very substantive, but you fight enough in the game that you start to get a feel for a a rotation in how you implement the stick into your combos, but don't really expect much strategy to their implementation beyond the surface level.

I know some posters adore the combat in this game, but I found there is little satisfaction in it, even when I decimate an entire platoon flittering through the air without being touched.

Pachimari

Wait, hasn't the names
Biggs and Wedge
been in past titles too? I think I remember them from FFVII. Are they in all the games?

Adaren

For combat tips, pick up the "Blink" skill in the Ascension tree. It lets you cancel your attack animations by dodging right before an attack lands, and generally makes the combat against more fun against single enemies with good attack animations.

It doesn't really fix the hot mess of fighting large groups of enemies, though. As far as I know, that always sucks. If you're struggling, you can just hold down L1, sneak around the battlefield, and fish for Parries / Blindsides (attack from behind) / Warp out and back in for healing + MP + big Warp Strike multipliers. It's boring and brainless, but it'll get you through pretty much anything.

Or just 1 shot everything with Magic before the fight starts. That works too.

LiK

Wait, hasn't the names
Biggs and Wedge
been in past titles too? I think I remember them from FFVII. Are they in all the games?

I forget which game they started using them but they were just a homage to Star Wars by localizers. Seems it's official now cuz I was playing with JPN VO and they mentioned them as
Biggs and Wedge
in Japanese by saying the names in Engrish. That was a surprise.

z1ggy

I'm at the chapter 13 atm and i can say that charpters from 6 to 12 were the best i got from the game.

The story telling is a total mess, every cutscene seems to be cut in half...

Jeffrey

So... should i be getting the aerial upgrades? I've been playing mostly on the ground...

Something about the dodge mechanic still irks me. Like if I'm swinging a slow great sword, and hold square, I will still get hit... but if I time square correctly I can cancel and dodge the attack? Is it due to that "time guard so it doesn't cost mp"?

Also is there any technique to determine what attack animations noct does with his O attacks?

Like with greatsword I've just been dodging and swinging. The O combo seems way too slow to be useful.

vareon

Oh holy shit now the camera bugged. Everytime I warpstriked it will stuck and I have to unstuck it by using item on one of the party. Just in time to face the last bit of mob, too.

Can I go back out, save, and enter again right to the boss? Costlemark Tower, btw.

RDreamer

Totally ran outta time.

The time thing is weird to me because the game doesn't lack content. It doesn't seem like there was a lack of time put it. It just seems like they allocated it in a fucking weird way. Or it feels like Tabata's team got in 2 years ago and decided to do absolutely no actual story/cutscene work and pieced together that while working fully on shit for after the game. It's really bizarre.

There are tons of dungeons and content here enough to fill a full game if they just paced things out right and allocated resources correctly.

alemmon

I am only in chapter 3 and loving it! This game has caught me by surprise by how much I am actually loving it. Really love the interplay between the 4 characters. Cant wait to see/play more.

LiK

Oh holy shit now the camera bugged. Everytime I warpstriked it will stuck and I have to unstuck it by using item on one of the party. Just in time to face the last bit of mob, too.

Can I go back out, save, and enter again right to the boss? Costlemark Tower, btw.

Someone mentioned that it fixed it for him when he used the Ignis' Regroup Tech. Try that.

PlayerOne

Banned
I have not gotten mine and this game already reached a 2nd OT.

Free shipping and being grouped together with Last Guardian. Sigh.

Skulldead

I'm at the chapter 13 atm and i can say that charpters from 6 to 12 were the best i got from the game.

The story telling is a total mess, every cutscene seems to be cut in half...

Yeah Like a surgical process , some of the cut scene were clearly made to be in the beginning of the storyline, but look like patch to be at end-game. Even the chapter 9 location look like it was made to be at the beginning of the game. Nothing seem to work, i sad.... it could be way better.

Ourobolus

Banned
I forget which game they started using them but they were just a homage to Star Wars by localizers. Seems it's official now cuz I was playing with JPN VO and they mentioned them as
Biggs and Wedge

FFVI was the first, IIRC - "Vicks" and "Wedge" in the original SNES translation.
FFVII - Biggs/Wedge as AVALANCHE members
FFVIII - as Dollet troops
FFIX - uh...I don't know if they were there?
FFX - Luca guards
FFXII - Guards outside of Nalbina (as "Gibbs" and "Deweg")
FFXIII - apparently B&W Outfitters is a reference to it?

Prompto

Banned
I just got to the chapter where everyone is bummed about Jared. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who didn't know who the hell he was.

ViciousDS

Banned
So what do we think the DLC's will take place in?

I'm guessing the 10 year time skip would be a really fucking good time for them to have the trio go out on their own adventure.

I remember them talking about Prompto even being able to handle monsters himself and maturing a lot before that final battle when you regrouped at hammerhead when it was night time all the time.

GAH.......I really wanted to see Lestallum during that time period damn it!!!!

I do find it quite amazing that you can play FFX for probably a couple hours and have more cut scene material than the entirety of FFXV

Sad too considering how amazing the CGI was for the last part of the game.....absolutely stunning

Biggs and Wedge

They were always official. They were in the original Japanese games rather than an invention of the localizers.

They first appeared in FFVI but were also retrofitted in FFI and FFIV in some of the remakes.

Holy shit at
Gentiana being Shiva! Super nice. She's so cool.

I'm loving this game right now!

Eh, not really. That came out of nowhere and totally caught me off guard. Cool that it is like that but I would have appreciated a better explanation so I can feel connected to
Gentiana as Shiva. Gentiana is such an awesome character but she is in the game so little that I don't think she really pays off in the end. Wasted opportunity.

Gbraga

So... should i be getting the aerial upgrades? I've been playing mostly on the ground...

Something about the dodge mechanic still irks me. Like if I'm swinging a slow great sword, and hold square, I will still get hit... but if I time square correctly I can cancel and dodge the attack? Is it due to that "time guard so it doesn't cost mp"?

Also is there any technique to determine what attack animations noct does with his O attacks?

Like with greatsword I've just been dodging and swinging. The O combo seems way too slow to be useful.

That is correct, when you time your dodge, you'll cancel out of your attack if you have Blink.

About which attack animations, you control it with the left stick while holding O, and you can also pause and press it again after Noct does a little backstep for a different attack. The greatsword has Tempest on the O, pause, O, which is really good against crowds. You can put it as part of weapon switching too, so you can hit them with a faster weapon, pause and switch to greatsword and press O again to go straight to tempest.

Aerial upgrades, depends on how much you enjoy aerial combat, I guess. But you definitely need at least one airstep before you know if you even enjoy it. I love it.

Any tips on beating Glad in the chocobo race?

Take a shortcut to the right over some rocks near the end.

LiK

They were always official. They were in the original Japanese games rather than an invention of the localizers.

They first appeared in FFVI but were also retrofitted in FFI and FFIV in some of the remakes.

Really? I thought I remembered a different origin for them from way back. Huh

Eh, not really. That came out of nowhere and totally caught me off guard. Cool that it is like that but I would have appreciated a better explanation so I can feel connected to
Gentiana as Shiva. Gentiana is such an awesome character but she is in the game so little that I don't think she really pays off in the end. Wasted opportunity.

I thought it was a cheap way to make her important.
It's like how they made Ifrit a villain just for the novelty factor but they forgot to give him any personality or motivation.

ViciousDS

Banned

it was kind of foretold due to
her role as messenger and her ghostly appearance. We knew shiva was in due to promo material and a dead corpse didn't mean the end. She was hiding in some human form. Ardyn even recognizes her too before you find out. But other than assuming......you really just got a whoop......its fucking shiva!

Really? I thought I remembered a different origin for them from way back. Huh

Yoshinori Kitase is a HUGE fan of Star Wars so they ended up in FFVI and Chrono Trigger and FFVII, and from then on I guess they became an FF tradition.

An interview in V-Jump actually jokes that the Biggs and Wedge from Chrono Trigger are the same as the ones in FFVI after they got warped by the first Esper, lol.

LiK

Yoshinori Kitase is a HUGE fan of Star Wars so they ended up in FFVI and Chrono Trigger and FFVII, and from then on I guess they became an FF tradition.

Good to know. This corrects my FF trivia. Some gaming editor back in the day gave me wrong info!

Grudy

2nd on this. My choc is level 8 (con-Kweh-Kulations) but he has this dash advantage that my chocobo can't even do. Then again I've only tried once. I can take him, I just know it.

I watched a quick vid and figured out the drifting trick. Basically press L2 during a sprint to slide which replenishes a little of your stamina bar and moves you faster than simply trotting. Even better if you can pull off a drift at turns for a good advantage.

Edit: Btw I beat Glad and the next 3-4 races with a level 2 chocobo without greens.

Ourobolus

Banned
Any tips on beating Glad in the chocobo race?

2nd on this. My choc is level 8 (con-Kweh-Kulations) but he has this dash advantage that my chocobo can't even do. Then again I've only tried once. I can take him, I just know it.

Here's how I did the Chocobo Races, easy.

Chocobo Level 9 is the last upgrade for the stamina bar, so getting that is useful, though probably not mandatory.

After completing the quests for the Chocobo Outpost proprietor, he gives you...Curiel Greens (forget the exact name, but it improves ALL chocobo abilities at camp - sprinting, galloping speed, and gliding).

Rest at a camp, feed your chocobo the greens, and then just go complete all of the races in one go. I left Iris in the dust.

Top Bottom