• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

rataven

Your level is fine. You can gain levels extremely fast when the time comes to need or want them. I would honestly rather face the storyline bosses for the first time when they are even a challenge than be 30÷ levels above where one should be making them a joke lessening the experience.

You can go from level 35 to 99 real fast when you need to. Why bother spending unnecessary time doing it? I was at level 45 facing the final boss and it was fine.

Ok that is good to know because I'm definitely not in a hurry to level up. But going from what I've read on here some folks are like waaaay super strong on par with the same chapter I'm on so I was beginning to think I was doing something crazy wrong.

I will say though that the level 42 Red Giants and Imperial Assassins are regularly sweeping the floors of Eos with my crew though, so I'd like to level up a bit more to give Noct and bros a fighting chance.

ViciousDS

Banned
2nd on this. My choc is level 8 (con-Kweh-Kulations) but he has this dash advantage that my chocobo can't even do. Then again I've only tried once. I can take him, I just know it.

beat all races at level 4 choco afair

sprint normal....when you run out stam hit drift.....right when your chocobo jumps when the drift is finished....hit the drift button again. This refills the stam bar like crazy if done right.

I did all races without using boosts at the camp, if you use the sprint boost at camp.....you would blow fuckers away

it was kind of foretold due to
her role as messenger and her ghostly appearance. We knew shiva was in due to promo material and a dead corpse didn't mean the end. She was hiding in some human form. Ardyn even recognizes her too before you find out. But other than assuming......you really just got a whoop......its fucking shiva!

Does Luna know Gentiana is Shiva? That's what I would have loved to see because Luna seems to journey to the six and possibly knows Shiva is dead, right? How does Gentiana become her messenger then?

GlamFM

Banned
First time posting in this thread.

I´m almost 30 hrs in and at chapter 8.

This game is slowly climbing on my personal GOTY list.

Don´t know why I love it so much, because so much about this game annoys me, but for some reason I do.

I still feel like I´m missing a ton of mechanics/content because there are basically no tutorials. In 30 hrs I bought 2 swords.
I´m still wearing the ring I got fairly early on because nothing seems better.

I´m spending my AP points on whatever because most of the time I have no idea what the abilities do.

It´s a weird game.

Wagram

That cutscene regarding
Jared
was hilarious. It's all dramatic and i'm like "oh that guy who had 15 seconds of screen time? Who gives a flying fuck?"

vareon

Finally finished Costemark. Was kinda anticlimactic because my boy Ramuh decided to show up in the boss fight lol.

Had to stop playing tonight because the game seemed in the verge of imploding. Camera glitch, some model loading glitch, and the design of the final part feels like the designers went mad. But the journey was fun. I like how even in the creepiest time like that the party had to say something to make it still fun.

I just reached the beginning of Chapter 2 back at Hammerhead, and I took some time last night to watch Kingsglaive again as well as play A King's Tale. I'm still loving the game, but I feel like I'm not using my AP properly. Is there an ability that I should be focusing on leveling up first?

Also, unless I missed something in Kingsglaive, who is
Cor?

Ourobolus

Banned
Post-game dungeon spoilers:

So far really disappointed with the sealed dungeons. Just the same thing, over and over. I guess the items at the bottom are nice, but you'd think they could have at least put in a little bit of effort and made them not the exact. same. cave network.

That cutscene regarding
Jared
was hilarious. It's all dramatic and i'm like "oh that guy who had 15 seconds of screen time? Who gives a flying fuck?"

Clearly the characters did to attack a whole ENEMY BASE to avenge him. Honestly though... he was a butler they knew or something in Brotherhood but the reality is that in game he has 2 mins of screentime and this part is just lol instead of sad. Yeah, it is really silly. Who seriously gives a fuck about Jared besides Talcott?

Ourobolus

Banned
I just reached the beginning of Chapter 2 back at Hammerhead, and I took some time last night to watch Kingsglaive again as well as play A King's Tale. I'm still loving the game, but I feel like I'm not using my AP properly. Is there an ability that I should be focusing on leveling up first?

Ignis' Regroup and Enhancement are essential, IMO.
Prompto's Gravisphere is nice since it frees up his second weapon slot for another tool.
Boost Warp Strike/Link Strike damage.
Boost non-HP party stats (Strength/Magic/Spirit/Vitality)
Get some of the exploration-for-AP nodes (driving the car, fishing, riding chocobos, etc.) - you can safely ignore the ones that give you XP for the same thing
General skills for your bros like Venom Fang and the ones that do deathblows when an enemy is vulnerable

The Trophies are a little disappointing. I got the Platinum a few hours ago but there's still so much shit to do in this game... I like to use Trophies as a checklist to make sure I do everything in the games I love. But here, I'm going to have to look up a guide online to make sure I haven't missed anything. There's not even a single Trophy for the secret dungeons...

I LOVED the in-game Trophies in FFXII. They were hard as fuck but very rewarding. I'll never Platinum FFX though, I'm not very good at dodging thunder.

tariniel

I finally started the game on Friday after watching Kingsglaive and Brotherhood and put in almost 17 hours over the weekend - for me that's a ton as I tend to play games in 1-2 hour chunks. I really like it so far, a whole lot.

The only thing I really dislike is that the same button is used for collecting/interacting and jumping. Too many times I'll walk up to something I want to pick up and just jump over it, and have to re-position. Also Ignis' voice when he says "I have discovered a new RECIPEHHHHHH" is really annoying.

I think right now I'm in chapter 6, I just
infiltrated a base to get back the Regalia after it was lost during the Titan battle. I summoned Ramuh at the base and holy shit that was cool. I've read in a few places that people didn't like the Titan area but I thought it was great, what about it did people not like?
How far through the game am I, percentage wise?

I have no idea if I'm going too fast or slow or whatever. How many more open-world zones are there? I have a lot of fun just walking around, doing hunts and finding random items and I hope there's at least 1-2 more than what I already have available.

I LOVED the in-game Trophies in FFXII. They were hard as fuck but very rewarding. I'll never Platinum FFX though, I'm not very good at dodging thunder.

I actually did the thunder dodging the last time I played the game when it came out on Steam, I was intending to get all achievements and then blitzball killed it for me. Way too much blitzball.

Pachimari

Eh, not really. That came out of nowhere and totally caught me off guard. Cool that it is like that but I would have appreciated a better explanation so I can feel connected to
Gentiana as Shiva. Gentiana is such an awesome character but she is in the game so little that I don't think she really pays off in the end. Wasted opportunity.
I find it cool none the less.

So I am at Chapter 13 and a
daemon is hunting me in the corridors. He cannot hurt me, and I cannot kill him. I guess this is a section where I am supposed to sneak by unnoticed but I don't know how to upgrade my security card.

Ignis' Regroup and Enhancement are essential, IMO.
Prompto's Gravisphere is nice since it frees up his second weapon slot for another tool.
Boost Warp Strike/Link Strike damage.
Boost non-HP party stats (Strength/Magic/Spirit/Vitality)
Get some of the exploration-for-AP nodes (driving the car, fishing, riding chocobos, etc.) - you can safely ignore the ones that give you XP for the same thing
General skills for your bros like Venom Fang and the ones that do deathblows when an enemy is vulnerable

Thanks. I just got Regroup last night and the "ride along" AP node. I've been trying to dole out AP regarding techniques evenly so that I don't leave a character gimped.

I finally started the game on Friday after watching Kingsglaive and Brotherhood and put in almost 17 hours over the weekend - for me that's a ton as I tend to play games in 1-2 hour chunks. I really like it so far, a whole lot.

The only thing I really dislike is that the same button is used for collecting/interacting an jumping. Too many times I'll walk up to something I want to pick up and just jump over it, and have to re-position.

I think right now I'm in chapter 6, I just
infiltrated a base to get back the Regalia after it was lost during the Titan battle. I summoned Ramuh at the base and holy shit that was cool. I've read in a few places that people didn't like the Titan area but I thought it was great, what about it did people not like?

I have no idea if I'm going too fast or slow or whatever. How many more open-world zones are there? I have a lot of fun just walking around, doing hunts and finding random items and I hope there's at least 1-2 more than what I already have available.

I'm at the same place as you!
I completely agree about the X button to collect items and jump, I pretty much jump 9 times out of ten on a first go lol

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Jared is the best Jared since Leto, but he combines Leto's impish charm with Michael Kaine's Alfred. The results are nothing short of masterful. WB, take note. Heck, Marvel, take note.

Adaren

The biggest problem I've found with the "X to pick up" is that, for some reason, it's highly dependent on Noctis' stance.

So say you're jumping along in a dungeon (because jumping is faster than running). You see an item. You jump to the item. The X prompt comes up, but by the time you hit it, Noctis is in the "crouching" part of his landing (which causes the X prompt to disappear). So, instead, you jump again. On the way back down, the prompt appears again. Hit X. Noctis crouches from landing instead of picking the item up. Jump. Rinse repeat until you manage to convince your brain that following the button prompt in the middle of the screen is not doing what it says it will.

It should be an easy thing for them to fix in patches, but it happens so frequently that I'm stunned they didn't catch it in testing.

Mikey Jr.

Any reason hi potion heals only like 800 hp versus the "fully heals hp" that it's supposed to do?

Bonus question, why cant I use items outside battle?

Second bonus question, why the shit can I only fast travel where the game says I can?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wait, hasn't the names
Biggs and Wedge
been in past titles too? I think I remember them from FFVII. Are they in all the games?

They have had cameo presence in pretty much every game since FF6. Though not any of the earlier games.

Adaren

Second bonus question, why the shit can I only fast travel where the game says I can?

I don't know, but if the game is saying you can't fast travel to a quest location, you can often still travel to a Parking Lot that's very close to that location.

I distinctly remember that the game wasn't letting my fast travel to quest objective in Lestallum, but it let me fast travel to one of the Parking Lots inside Lestallum (there were two Parking Lot choices; only one allowed fast travel).

I find it cool none the less.

So I am at Chapter 13 and a
daemon is hunting me in the corridors. He cannot hurt me, and I cannot kill him. I guess this is a section where I am supposed to sneak by unnoticed but I don't know how to upgrade my security card.

Your second and third spells can kill him. I haven't actually had to sneak past anything yet.

Hobbes211

Without spoiling anything please, am I supposed to get the
Regalia Type-F
through the story, or a side quest? I'm in Chapter 10 and I swear I've seen people talking about having it in Chapter 9.

Ourobolus

Banned
Any reason hi potion heals only like 800 hp versus the "fully heals hp" that it's supposed to do?

Bonus question, why cant I use items outside battle?

Hi-potion should max out your HP, but only to the point where your max HP has deteriorated (the gray portion of your HP bar, not the black).

Without spoiling anything please, am I supposed to get the
Regalia Type-F
through the story, or a side quest? I'm in Chapter 10 and I swear I've seen people talking about having it in Chapter 9.
Post-game

Golnei

Sucks that the only snow we get to see is maybe a total of 10 minutes of the damn game. Would have added more variety to the world.

Imagine the possibilities...

tumblr_n0v0wxr1ET1qz6f9yo2_1280.jpg

I definitely agree, though -
the World of Ruin had the potential to anchor a separate full game, and not delivering on even a tiny part of it when the majority of the required assets are already finished is so frustrating. I really hope they can manage to revisit it down the line - even if sequels are off the table, it shouldn't be beyond the scope of DLC, especially since it seems like the other DLC episodes will include areas not in the main game; while a World of Ruin chapter would use existing assets.

I have a question that I can't answer with Googling:

Do the secondary spell effects (namely Expericast) work when magic is equipped on your buddies? Or is it for Noctis only?

Here's how I did the Chocobo Races, easy.

Chocobo Level 9 is the last upgrade for the stamina bar, so getting that is useful, though probably not mandatory.

After completing the quests for the Chocobo Outpost proprietor, he gives you...Curiel Greens (forget the exact name, but it improves ALL chocobo abilities at camp - sprinting, galloping speed, and gliding).

Rest at a camp, feed your chocobo the greens, and then just go complete all of the races in one go. I left Iris in the dust.

Good tips, will use.

Anung

Un Rama
Bollocks to this. I'll do the grinding for the platinum later or wait for them to patch in NG+ and do it then.

Pachimari

I don't know, but if the game is saying you can't fast travel to a quest location, you can often still travel to a Parking Lot that's very close to that location.

I distinctly remember that the game wasn't letting my fast travel to quest objective in Lestallum, but it let me fast travel to one of the Parking Lots inside Lestallum (there were two Parking Lot choices; only one allowed fast travel).

Your second and third spells can kill him. I haven't actually had to sneak past anything yet.
But I can't use my third spell (R1+triangle) and the draining life doesn't do much either. In fact I've ran out of mp and is in stasis now. So me and that Uttu spider is just staring at each other..

Ourobolus

Banned
Bollocks to this. I'll do the grinding for the platinum later or wait for them to patch in NG+ and do it then.

Oddly enough I still have Fishing/Cooking left to do. I ran around wayyyy too much early on and Gladio maxed his skill second, lol.

Jeffrey

Think this might be one of those rare games that I kinda hate most elements of the game (characters, combat, sidequests, story, design decisions,music) that I'm still compelled to play away.

Just seems to scratch that 'solo mmo' itch I've missed. Great 'chill' game after work, when you don't want to think too much.

Man, I am kinda forcing myself to stop playing because I am still hoping for a patch that adds ability to just grab iris as a guest at any point post game.

Adaren

But I can't use my third spell (R1+triangle) and the draining life doesn't do much either. In fact I've ran out of mp and is in stasis now. So me and that Uttu spider is just staring at each other..

I actually picked up the Ascension node for "Gain MP when you dodge at the last second" for this part.

The R1 "kill everything" spell (the one that isn't Death and isn't Holy) can only be done at full MP. So run around until you get back to full MP, or pop some sort of potion to restore it, then cast the spell.

Death gets easily interrupted by most enemies, but the big spell has super armor, so you can finish casting it while you're getting hit.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Done with chapter 9
the death of Luna FMV was truly beautiful, even though we didn't know much of her at least through Noctis' pain we get a glimpse of what could've been. Leviathian fight was horrible btw, but the chapter was enjoyable overall if a bit rushed. Now into chap 10!

I felt like a creep because of how hot
older Talcott
was :|

Am I the only one?

I haven't seen him yet but judging from my Twitter feed....... you're not the only one
For awhile I thought they were slobbering over a 9 year old boy and I was like um, ew?

Have they mentioned anything about constant crashing? I haven't been able to get pass I think its chapter 9? or 10?

The part where you're on the train and defending it from the soldiers and what not and Noct is trying to get revenge on Ardyn
I mean everytime I reload the save it gets to the part where he starts chasing him then the sound goes out and then it crashes. Every. Single. Time. No matter what I do. It wound up corrupting my save data ( Which I wound up having to redownload from PS cloud, thank god for PS Plus uploading save data) But I cant get passed it.

It even altered other saved game data on my system. I've had to redl for other games after it crashed my PS4 multiple times. I haven't put back in, since.

Any ideas?

I've played about 25 hours of this game. I'm loving it. Honestly, for a long time now I had nowhere near as much interest in video games as I did when I was younger. You might laugh, but FFXIII was what killed my interest! FFXV is bringing it back as flawed as it might be.

Pejo

Finished the game over the weekend, and did a few post-game content quests/dungeons. Also finally watched Brotherhood which was ok, and Kingsglaive, which I loved.

Without a doubt, this is a top 5 Final Fantasy for me personally.

I loved the darker tone, and pretty much every one of the major characters (even Luna - after watching Kingsglaive).

Battle system is a lot of fun once you get it, like a more interactive but less granular FFXII system. The whole package was just really, really good.

I am really excited to see what they patch into the game, and the DLC that comes out. I didn't find Chp 13 to be nearly as bad as everyone else complained about, though it did go on a bit long.

There's a lot of room for exposition, and it definitely felt like there was a lot of opportunity for more game, and more explanation, and missing plot pieces. You can definitely see where the game would have gone, provided there was more time (lol) to work it out.

The 2 things I want to see patched in the most are:

More time in the World of Ruin. I think everyone agrees that we should have time with the guys besides Insomnia. I also would love to be able to use the timeskip character designs.

An accessory that negates the HP drain on the Royal Arms. I don't care if it drops from the hardest boss in the game, it'd just be nice to piss around with those weapons on harder enemies without having to worry about basically 1HKO'ing yourself, which I've done many times using warp strike with the Axe on a group of enemies.

Vexii

Be warned, people on metered internet connections (with PSPlus); the FFXV save data (on PS4 at least) is over half a gig in size, and will automatically be backing itself up whenever you put your PS4 into rest mode.

Just letting you know.

Adaren

All I want is FF XV-2 starring Iris, Gentiana and Aranea. They can even be a girl band for all I care.

Those personalities would work together surprisingly well...

I imagine that I'd like them more than the main characters of FFXV. >_> At least pre-Chapter 10.

LiK

I'm nearly at level 6 fishing and nearly level 9 survival but that bad barely moves anymore.

Fishing was the easiest to grind, imo. I got that first. Got Survival last. Used rubber band trick for it cuz screw running around for another 20 hours lol

Top Bottom