• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition announced (iOS/And/W10), same plot, Fall 2017

Major FFXIV vibes here, send help:

nJSaYL8.jpg

And watch as your three other party members stand gormlessly in the big obvious AoE markers just like an average day on FFXIV!

True Fire

I wish Pocket Edition went full Lego, with high pitched voices and music. Treat it as a lighthearted remake, ya know?

The fact that this is 100% serious is kind of perplexing to me. Only Square Enix would greenlight something like this LOL

Weird fact about this, even a level 1 run in ffXV is easy.
I did a full level 1 run, and it turns out that weapon stats and equipment stats are the main contributors to difficulty (well... that and attrition through item spamming). Once you get good weapons, you can basically take down level 40+ enemies at level 1 no problem.

The only things leveling in ffXV does really is: Hp increases, Mp increases, Slight stat boosts, and summoning damage output (at level 1, summons are literally worthless).

The game is much more fun at level 1, admittedly, but its still mostly a walk in the park.

This is pretty interesting, I didn't realize it worked that way. I'm a little shocked summons even scale, I assumed they were just one hit kills on everything that isn't a boss level monster.

I actually really love Final Fantasy XV, but this...
giphy.gif

I think this is the most SE thing since that Louis Vuitton collab with Lightning in it. They could have at least made it look like past Final Fantasy games, like the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI. Either 16 bit or FFVII blockiness.

DMONKUMA

Yeah looking at it more it looks like their own version of the DS remake but for FFXV instead. Characters don't look too great.

Hmm, I'm actually really interested in at least trying out the free episode.

I've only played the demo for FF15 and I really disliked the combat in it, but the graphics could be amazing at times.
But this seems to have simpler combat (or at least less combat since it's not filled with sidequests), but you lose the spectacle the full game has.

I guess I'll go ahead and play the free episode on mobile, and then wait to see how the PC version of FF15 turns out before deciding which version I want to play through.

Koozek

Incidentally the main cast already had better chibi versions for the recent FFXV collabo in the Japanese mobile game "For Whom The Alchemist Exists":

Code:
[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vhLS9-K6GQM/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fyYSLtVPg6E/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yoq4_uapQpE/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/0106qu5a.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/miXqBsOm690/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG]

120v

this is actually a fairly ambitious project, assuming FFXV in its entirety is "downsized" a la DQ XI 3DS.

Kaizer

Banned
this is actually a fairly ambitious project, assuming FFXV in its entirety is "downsized" a la DQ XI 3DS.

Well they've already said it's only the main storyline, no sidequests & it's being released episodically, so I wouldn't expect it to be the "entirety" of the game downsized.

Mailbox

This is pretty interesting, I didn't realize it worked that way. I'm a little shocked summons even scale, I assumed they were just one hit kills on everything that isn't a boss level monster.

Surprised me at first too. The first time you see Ramuh only do a few hundred damage to enemies and none of them die, it breaks your spirit a bit lol

Incidentally the main cast already had better chibi versions for the recent FFXV collabo in the Japanese mobile game "For Whom The Alchemist Exists":

Weirdly enough, i actually dislike those chibi ones more than the pocket edition's ones.
They look cheap and stale, like a deviant art chibification of a character.

I prefer them going weird with art styles.

Shoulda used the BD artstyle if they wanted a mini 15.
Bravely-Default-11.jpg

Though i do agree with ^.
BD style would have been a better idea imo

Well they've already said it's only the main storyline, no sidequests & it's being released episodically, so I wouldn't expect it to be the "entirety" of the game downsized.

They said it will have sidequests, just not as numerous or even the same as the ones in the main game.

FinalAres

Actually they said there'd be 'different' sidequests (is that an error in the op?). Don't know if that's better or not.

Either way im very hopeful for the Switch edition.

Yokai

This actually looks ok but why bother making this FFXV? They already had to remake so many assets for it anyway, they may as well have made this a new spin off title or something -- like Final Fantasy Pocket series or something.

Well, maybe if you like FFXV and want to double dip? But honestly, I think the market for that is small enough that they should have probably focused on something all-new.

Mailbox

This actually looks ok but why bother making this FFXV? They already had to remake so many assets for it anyway, they may as well have made this a new spin off title or something -- like Final Fantasy Pocket series or something.

Well, maybe if you like FFXV and want to double dip? But honestly, I think the market for that is small enough that they should have probably focused on something all-new.

I think most of us are underestimating the mobile markets in various regions.
This was almost definitely an idea due to Japan's constant shift away from consoles and into mobile spaces.

This is likely to sell well in Jp, and depending on marketing will likely sell decently here.

I Probably won't be getting it since i'm not big on mobile gaming, and i plan on double dipping on the PC version, but i think this idea is kinda cool.

I would definitely like to see more mobile demakes of games, if only as a way to get people into the series or ecosystem.

Labadal

I find this announcement hilarious. Why? Before all this, I jokingly said that I wanted a 16 bit reimagination of FFXV on a portable gaming device. I got some of what I was asking for. Sometimes, it is better not to wish for things to happen.

KtSlime

Square Enix... I just want to print this picture out and mail it to all of your offices.
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/mobile/000/022/508/C7S0ouqVAAANACj.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I can drop it off there on my way to work this morning, but I don't think they will get it.

I think a version of the game on a platform people actually play will be good for the continued health of the brand.

Toth

The more I think about this the more I actually like it. I wonder if this was conceived when DQ XI 3DS was conceived because it's rather brilliant in reaching a huge audience.

Awesome.

If I ever decide to play Final Fantasy XV, it'll be this version.

I'm not too happy about the rumors of the iPad Mini being discontinued though.

And watch as your three other party members stand gormlessly in the big obvious AoE markers just like an average day on FFXIV!

You know how many times I've told people in XIV that standing in the red is a bad thing? Too often. :p

I believe Tabata said they started this pocket edition a long time ago. I may be misremembering but I think in an interview he stated this project started before XV even released.

The more I think about this the more I actually like it. I wonder if this was conceived when DQ XI 3DS was conceived because it's rather brilliant in reaching a huge audience.

When I first heard about this I was like "What? Wonder how that will work..."

After seeing some of the gameplay and the fight with Aranea, it actually looks pretty cool and fun. Some sites are even stating after playing they actually think it's pretty fun. So it can't hurt to try out the free first episode.

Koozek

I believe Tabata said they started this pocket edition a long time ago. I may be misremembering but I think in an interview he stated this project started before XV even released.
Yeah, it was the FFXV Lite that leaked together with Kingsglaive and Platinum Demo shortly before the Uncovered event last year (though Kingsglaive technically leaked even earlier on a Chinese site in September 2015).

Are you talking about a recent interview after the Pocket announcement?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Honestly, I'm liking the look of the basic XIV type gameplay more than the gameplay in XV. It supposedly covers the main story, but not the sidequest stories. None of the sidequests in XV even had stories really though. They were less fleshed out than the fetch quest stories in XIV, so the game's not missing anything by losing them.

Maybe it'll even have more story than the main game if it really does get its own quests, though they'll probably just also be throwaway quests.

If this comes to Switch I'll definitely play through it as my second playthrough of XV.

Yeah, it was the FFXV Lite that leaked together with Kingsglaive and Platinum Demo shortly before the Uncovered event last year (though Kingsglaive technically leaked even earlier on a Chinese site in September 2015).

Yeah, I remember that. This makes me wonder if there is any hope for Versus XV.

Yeah. He said it in a recent interview I am trying to find...

Mooreberg

Cannot be worse than the empire building game that came out not too long ago. That thing was like a bad parody of mobile gaming stereotypes except... real.

_Ryo_

...this doesn't actually look that bad. It'd be cook if it were on Switch, 3DS and Vita. Then every current platform could have FFXV. haha.

theofficefan99

Soooo no survey results? Or non-stupid announcements?

Honestly lol if this or the AC thing was the "awesome unannounced expansion" Tabata talked about back in Feb.

John Day

Tried the first chapter. I think the game is actually nice. Cool that voice work is directly from the original game. Combat is simple yet manages to do it’s work. Game doesn’t seem to have been a rush job (then again it’s been in development for a while).

I’ll buy it. Then again, I truly loved XV, cons and all. So you know, my opinion may be biased.

First chapter ends
at the hill after the invasion of Insomnia, when Cor calls.

Top Bottom