• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition announced (iOS/And/W10), same plot, Fall 2017

Socivol

This game upsets me. There are other issues with the main game that we have been begging them to fix and yet nothing but they continue to develop things nobody asked for. Fix the story and fix the framepacing of the game on PS4 Pro!

Kyari

This game upsets me. There are other issues with the main game that we have been begging them to fix and yet nothing but they continue to develop things nobody asked for. Fix the story and fix the framepacing of the game on PS4 Pro!

There are likely far more people going to play it on mobile than own a PS4 Pro to be fair.

Toth

They are. This thing has been in development by a third party for 2 years.

CheckMate

Apparently we still one more "major announcement" that will shown in the next couple of days. According to Tabata it wasn't ready to show at the opening of gamescom.

Would only consider playing this on the 3DS. Otherwise, nah.

And like others have said, SE constantly milking a flawed game instead of fixing it is frustrating. If they're not gonna do it, then I'd rather we just move on to FFXVI or something.

Socivol

They are. This thing has been in development by a third party for 2 years.

They haven't announced a fix for either of those two things which is odd since they had that survey but haven't referenced it yet. Additionally when it comes to story issues as soon as the game came out they acknowledged them and haven't mentioned anything about them since Chapter 13 verse 2.

sappyday

It's stuff like this and the Kingsglaive movie that makes me mad. That money and resources could have been spent on the actual game.

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
It's stuff like this and the Kingsglaive movie that makes me mad. That money and resources could have been spent on the actual game.

It is indeed unfortunate. Part of me thinks they realized that this wasn't going to be as good as it gets so they decided to start experimenting with all kinds of different concepts like VR, mobile spin-offs, pocket editions, etc.

But yes, the stories of Kingsglaive (and Brotherhood, IMHO) should have been in the main game. It would have made the entire experience feel more expansive.

FinalAres

Apparently we still one more "major announcement" that will shown in the next couple of days. According to Tabata it wasn't ready to show at the opening of gamescom.
Prediction:
Final Fantasy XV: Definitive Edition, with details of the changes to the story which, whilst not being a total overhaul, will be enough to please many fans.

What is the point of this demake?! The standard game is barely a complete product so why? Why waste any resource on this (very ugly and appealing) project? Who even thought this was a good idea to sign off. Hate to knock a project but this one is just a funky decision all around.

hohoXD123

If only they put the effort into finishing the actual game properly instead of all these other FFXV endeavours (Windows edition excluded).

What is the point of this demake?! The standard game is barely a complete product so why? Why waste any resource on this (very ugly and appealing) project? Who even thought this was a good idea to sign off. Hate to knock a project but this one is just a funky decision all around.

More people own smartphones than consoles. Perhaps if it had been released at the same time as the console versions of FFXV it would have been better received, like DQ11's 3DS port.

True Fire

This will sell millions, making XV more profitable than XIII and XII despite lower console sales.

The standard game is a complete product. You can play it from beginning to end, and it's fully polished.

It might be ugly, but mobile is very appealing. There haven't been many AAA experiences on mobile, and it looks like the combat is mostly intact

13ruce

Banned
This is gonna be the teased Switch version isn't it? Lol.

Well atleast i can play bravely FFXV.
Played the console version on ps4 anyway.

This is actually kind of cool.
Thoughts on graphics aside, this reminds me of the 90's where they actually adjust a game to make it work well on a weaker console not just shoe horn it in.

I dig it.

Evildoomnerd

Neo Member
MY3d2if.png

I have no mouth, and I must eat Cup Noodles.

Mrbob

This looks so weird visually I want to try it out.

Not the same team that working on the console versions.

Jawmuncher

I fully expect this to come to switch. I don't say that in a mean way either. I expect this'll be a bit of a surprise to people with it's quality.

Arkeband

Banned
The standard game is a complete product. You can play it from beginning to end, and it's fully polished.

"Fully polished"? What does this phrase mean? It's been undergoing changes and fixes for nearly a full year now, it's still in the process of being "polished" and it's projected to have (and needs) a helluva lot more.

poncle

Wait, this isn't a joke?
They removed the only goods things FFXV had, graphics and OST, and made a game with all that remain?
Wow.

FinalAres

If this comes to Switch, I would hope it feels like a full FF game. Not as big as FFXV, but at least feel like a full game. At the moment it looks like a gimped, linear FF13 like experience.

DMONKUMA

If this comes to Switch, I would hope it feels like a full FF game. Not as big as FFXV, but at least feel like a full game. At the moment it looks like a gimped, linear FF13 like experience.

Might be similar to the remakes that were on the ds at least.

Z3M0G

Had to learn about this by a buddy forwarding Jim's reaction video.

I don't know, I find it looks surprisingly great!

Edit: with all the XV news lately, I need to finish the story before it gets spoiled... I already put 80 hours into the side quests...

True Fire

Linear XV might not be a bad thing. It should make the pacing more consistent.

Chapter 13 will be much better in the Pocket Edition, that's for sure.

FinalAres

Linear XV might not be a bad thing. It should make the pacing more consistent.

Chapter 13 will be much better in the Pocket Edition, that's for sure.
Oh yeah totally. I'm happy for a linear story, all the best Final Fantasies were. But I also do want it to feel open and explorable. Even if the Pocket Edition isn't like that, I hope they can open it out for Switch.

I had a thought.

I bet that diagram which had the timeline and the opening out of the triangle with high end (windows edition) and casual pocket edition, was supposed to have definitive edition in the middle. But they subbed it out for the comrades logo because it wasn't ready :p

Toth

I wonder if the game will be harder without all the side quests and optional stuff that help you be soooo overleveled. This may be FFXV hard mode! Lol

So is this gonna be the new skyrim? Being ported to everything

Boy if you think literally two ports is bad, you're gonna be shocked when you see how many times Final Fantasy 1. Or Final Fantasy 2. Or Final Fantasy 3. Or Final Fantasy 4.

But right now FFXV is sitting at the same number of ports as, say, FF13 (The two major consoles of the generation, a PC version, and a mobile version - though FF13 was just streamed to your phone rather than being rebuilt).

Eusis

A human being mentioned it to me. Said human being heard it from another human being. You know how it goes.
I thought you were supposed to have birds conveying the news, not humans.

I actually think this isn't too bad of an idea... I'd just rather have something like this for a game with a better story, and a better visual style.

Mailbox

I wonder if the game will be harder without all the side quests and optional stuff that help you be soooo overleveled. This may be FFXV hard mode! Lol

Weird fact about this, even a level 1 run in ffXV is easy.
I did a full level 1 run, and it turns out that weapon stats and equipment stats are the main contributors to difficulty (well... that and attrition through item spamming). Once you get good weapons, you can basically take down level 40+ enemies at level 1 no problem.

The only things leveling in ffXV does really is: Hp increases, Mp increases, Slight stat boosts, and summoning damage output (at level 1, summons are literally worthless).

The game is much more fun at level 1, admittedly, but its still mostly a walk in the park.

sn00zer

Id be illing to bet that this will be the most definitive version of the story since im sure many cut ideas can slip in here as they would not be nearly as difficult to implement.

Wagram

This game is just the perfect example of spreading yourself too thin. They could have made a tight and cohesive experience, but instead focused on so many different things that don't matter.

Bravely Fantasy XV

XV wishes it was half as good as Bravely.

Top Bottom