• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Review Thread [Second wave of reviews coming in]

Griss

EUROGAMER said:
The plotting is quite bafflingly bad; nothing of note actually plays out in front of you for most of the game. In fact, most of the inciting events take place either off-camera or in Kingsglaive, the full-length tie-in feature film. Having watched both that and the Brotherhood anime, which also serves as a prequel to the game, I was able to follow what was going on, but I have a strong feeling anyone who doesn't go in armed with all that exposition will be at a distinct disadvantage. It seems as though Square Enix sensed this too, making a last-minute addition of quick cuts of Kingsglaive and the Omen CG trailer to a few key cutscenes, which truthfully feel like they will only confuse things further for anyone unaware of their origins, as they very clearly do not belong in the game. These moments of exposition should have been a priority and a case of show, not tell within the main event itself, surely?

Damn, this sounds like a complete fuck up right here. (Relating to the story only, not the gameplay.) Jesus christ. All those delays, and the plot is both dull and barely coherent?

Glad I watched Kingsglaive, I guess.

daveo42

Banned
20 hour main story

that's short

It's almost expected at this point because of how cobbled together and torn apart the story has been. Parts of the original scenario are still there, but ripped out into other productions while fitting anything past the opening into that original scenario fell kind of short because they didn't have a ton to go on.

Disappointed it is such a mess, but at least it's coming out and hopefully the side content will make up for the lack of a grander FF-style story.

yunbuns

Great scores tbh! Where is that Tabata hype gif?

nWl3qpB.gif

This is such a great gif holy shit.

Moz

I'm 25 hours into the game, please don't get too caught up on the main story length. You would have to ignore a wealth of enjoyable content to finish it that quickly, it's a well laid smorgasbord of things to do.

slash3584

Now the only thing left is to see if the next few pages will be filled with:

A) OMG 6? They don't know what they're talking about WTF lazy reviewers

or

B) 9? Yeah right. Conan told me everything I need to know about this shit fest of a game.

Reviewing a bit better than expected but some of the negatives are still rather poor to see and could massively effect my enjoyment. As always with reviews I take them with a pinch of salt.

jackal27

Banned
Genuinely glad to hear that the game is getting lots of 8s and is around 20 hours along. I miss games of that length. Still, the fact that a 20 hour game took this long to develop says a lot about this industry or modern game creation.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
As someone who hasn't bought into the majority of FF's stories (4, 6, 9 and 12 being the exceptions) I'm not too worried about the narrative failures, which seem more rooted in them relying TOO heavily on Kingsglaive and Brotherhood.

The Kotaku and Eurogamer reviews are quite excellent.

Boke1879

I'm 25 hours into the game, please don't get too caught up on the main story length. You would have to ignore a wealth of enjoyable content to finish it that quickly, it's a well laid smorgasbord of things to do.

Gonna quote this because you know people will focus on that 20 hour length knowing damn well they'll be doing other shit.

Top Bottom