• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Review Thread [Second wave of reviews coming in]

Arzehn

Maybe someone has already mentioned this, but the reviews on the Japanese Amazon website are notably poorer than on the US and UK websites:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_s...&sprefix=final+fan,aps,281&crid=1XRABU2YOZ0QM

Not sure how representative this is of the broader fanbase in Japan, but more 1 star reviews than 4 & 5 star reviews put together does not look good.

There was actually a huge discussion on this on a Japanese blog recently about this, on how Japanese are more negative than the west.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20006151.html

Probably comes down to specific games however. Games where there's been big changes. Nomura > Tabata, turn based > action etc

This is not uncommon in Japan. That said the west does similar to games like CoD, but for other reasons.

MilkBeard

Maybe someone has already mentioned this, but the reviews on the Japanese Amazon website are notably poorer than on the US and UK websites:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_s...&sprefix=final+fan,aps,281&crid=1XRABU2YOZ0QM

Not sure how representative this is of the broader fanbase in Japan, but more 1 star reviews than 4 & 5 star reviews put together does not look good.
Having many 1 star reviews means disgruntled fanboys are swarming. I'd be more worried personally if there were an abnormal amount of 4s and 5s.

Edit: as of now, the metacritic has dropped to 83.

LordKano

I always found the amazon jp reviews to be strange, to say the least. I mean, they spammed the Monster Hunter 4G's amazon page of 1/5 stars because they changed a bit the systems of G-ranked missions (and by a bit I really mean just a bit). They're weird.

Btw it's at the same score as FFXIII now :D

There was actually a huge discussion on this on a Japanese blog recently about this, on how Japanese are more negative than the west.

Probably comes down to specific games however. Games where there's been big changes. Nomura > Tabata, turn based > action etc

This is not uncommon in Japan. That said the west does similar to games like CoD, but for other reasons.

can someone who understand japanese tell me whats the main reason for the negativity?

Adaren

Reminds me of Tales of Zestiria.

Incoming DLC featuring Luna wearing a new hat.

ZeroX03

Banned
53 reviews for this and TLG has 63 in a week less. Hmm.

83 doesn't surprise me, could see it drop a point or two more as reviewers who didn't have to rush come in. Game is the reverse of XIII in all the good and bad ways that entails.

Timeaisis

Honestly, this game has some serious issues. It's still fun, but it's hard to look past everything it does so wrong. I keep hearing the narrative is bad, and yeah it is, but there are much larger issues with the gameplay loop and the open world. I feel like half the game is me on my phone while the boys quietly drive around. It's far from engaging.

I'd compare the experience more to an MMO with some Final Fantasy peppered in.

Honestly, this game has some serious issues. It's still fun, but it's hard to look past everything it does so wrong. I keep hearing the narrative is bad, and yeah it is, but there are much larger issues with the gameplay loop and the open world. I feel like half the game is me on my phone while the boys quietly drive around. It's far from engaging.

I'd compare the experience more to an MMO with some Final Fantasy peppered in.

It has hit the same issues that most open world games do...Assassins Creed series has very repetitive gameplay, and thus the open world has very little depth. I do appreciate that the open world in this is largely great from an aesthetic perspective, if somewhat conservative for an FF game.

Hexa

So FF Versus and TLG finally manage to release, and they release within a week of each other and get the same metascore. What are the chances of that? o_O

eXistor

For me, the issues don't nearly detract enough from the core of the game, which is great. If you're playing it for the narrative, yeah, stay far away. For me games are never about story (unless it's a VN or something similar of course) and I hink the gameplay in FFXV is pretty great. I'm having a blast playing it and ater 45 hours I'm still excited to go back and play more (I'm at chapter 9 currently). All the things I wanted the game to do it does well.

gconsole

For me, the issues don't nearly detract enough from the core of the game, which is great. If you're playing it for the narrative, yeah, stay far away. For me games are never about story (unless it's a VN or something similar of course) and I hink the gameplay in FFXV is pretty great. I'm having a blast playing it and ater 45 hours I'm still excited to go back and play more (I'm at chapter 9 currently). All the things I wanted the game to do it does well.

Yeah that is all the good part about the game. Now it is time to progress post chapter 9 -and see if your perception about the game is still the samw.

I always found the amazon jp reviews to be strange, to say the least. I mean, they spammed the Monster Hunter 4G's amazon page of 1/5 stars because they changed a bit the systems of G-ranked missions (and by a bit I really mean just a bit). They're weird.

Btw it's at the same score as FFXIII now :D
Oh man they are brutal..

Google translating them out of curiosity and one guy wrote: "Is this FF? Degraded version of GTA right? Oh I'm sorry I was rude to Rockstar Games."

But yeah I came into this game blind. No Kingsglaive. No anime. Avoided almost all trailers besides the first few from way back and I gotta say I don't disagree with the complaints but I'm really enjoying it. A lot. A solid 8 IMO.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FFXIII, FFXV, and The Last Guardian are now the same score, lol.

I wonder how the game will score post-patch.

Rozart

I'm absolutely loving the game so far. So much so that it has pushed past Uncharted, OW and Dark Souls to be the current favourite top spot contender for my personal GOTY list.

But all this talk about chapter 9 and 13 are making me nervous now.

MoogleMan

I'm loving this game.
110 hours in (completionist).

I give it a solid 8.5/10.

My only gripe is the same I had with 12, though 12 had this to a lesser degree; the game seems to be 65% side quests and 35% story. Hunts are awesome, though I wish they had some backstory to each, character side quests (cindy, dino, vyv, etc.) are awesome and what most of the side quests should have been. The rescue and car repair quests are just meh. No real rewards for getting them all.

The optional dungeons are great.

I haven't spent this much time of a final fantasy game since 6 and 7.

Aren't these scores pretty good? How's the feeling here in this thread?

Personally I was hugely let down by the game but I'm glad for the team that the game got good reviews.

Astral Dog

Aren't these scores pretty good? How's the feeling here in this thread?

Personally I was hugely let down by the game but I'm glad for the team that the game got good reviews.
Yep i think if anything its commendable the team managed such a game in less than three years, you can tell if they had one more they would manage to release a truly great game,as it is FFXV , is a rushed, flawed but enjoyable experience and for that its a step in the right direction imo.

Unlike FFXIII wich was made in four years but ended up like polished garbage

Yep i think if anything its commendable the team managed such a game in less than three years, you can tell if they had one more they would manage to release a truly great game,as it is FFXV , is a rushed, flawed but enjoyable experience and for that its a step in the right direction imo.

Unlike FFXIII wich was made in four years but ended up like polished garbage

Yeah you really got to hand it to them. Despite my disappointment I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did.

It was a tough call for SE. I can sort of understand the higher ups urging the team to finish it quickly since they just wanted to get it over with (my guess).

It is amazing what a tranwreck the whole Fabula Nova Chrystallis-project was (and I'd consider XV to still be a ramification of this project despite ditching the lore). I'm just glad that this whole thing is done for good.

I don't understand the difference in critical reception beteeen MGSV and FFXV.
Both of them are beautiful looking games with amazing soundtracks, empty overworlds, repetitive missions and sparse story. The amount of parallels are staggering. How did MGSV get a free pass while FFXV gets penalised by the gaming media? (I love both games btw).

Meowster

Both of them are beautiful looking games with amazing soundtracks, empty overworlds, repetitive missions and sparse story. The amount of parallels are staggering. How did MGSV get a free pass while FFXV gets penalised by the gaming media? (I love both games btw).
I think XV probably would have gotten a "pass" in that regard if XIII and it's two sequels didn't happen. But I think critics were mostly pretty fair with this one. Some were a little harsh and some were a little generous but most were pretty solid. As a fan of XIII, that is the one that really got a pass by the critics.

ethomaz

Banned
Gameplay is perfect in MGSV... it is serviceable in FFXV and that counts a lot for the score.

Story is confusing, rushed and incomplete in both games.

PS. Down to 83 again... TLG too.

LordKano

Most reviewers didn't play the second part of MGSV.
It's still a better game though, with an incredible gameplay.

renzolama

They both got plenty of free passes...it just happens that MGSV gameplay is more compelling (for the average 2015-16 player) and polished than FFXV, hence the (actually very minor) score difference between them.

ethomaz

Banned
They both got plenty of free passes...it just happens that MGSV gameplay is more compelling (for the average 2015-16 player) and polished than FFXV, hence the (actually very minor) score difference between them.
I wouldn't call 93 vs 83 very minor difference.

Gameplay really shines MGSV ahead... it is really that great.

LordKano

PS4 version of Metal Gear Solid V has a 93 metascore against Final Fantasy XV at 83, that's not what I would call a very minor difference.

Wagram

I don't know how I would review XV to be honest. It's been a rollercoaster of fantastic ideas, some that didn't quite connect right, and downright bad.

Probably mid 70s though. I think that's fair.

I think the average of the reviews is fine. People can claim it polarized fans, but in all honesty. It really didn't. Most people enjoyed their time with it and it will not have the same stigma that 13 did to the series.

It's been two weeks. That honeymoon period isn't over friend. Just wait a few more. Honestly, I like XIII better.

Boke1879

I think the average of the reviews is fine. People can claim it polarized fans, but in all honesty. It really didn't. Most people enjoyed their time with it and it will not have the same stigma that 13 did to the series.

renzolama

PS4 version of Metal Gear Solid V has a 93 metascore against Final Fantasy XV at 83, that's not what I would call a very minor difference.

I wouldn't call 93 vs 83 very minor difference.

It is when you look at the weighted distribution of scores >= 80 across all game scores, but I doubt there's much point in going further down that rabbit hole. It's all subjective, so if that's a significant difference by your measurement standard than who I am to disagree.

ethomaz

Banned
It is when you look at the weighted distribution of scores >= 80 across all game scores, but I doubt there's much point in going further down that rabbit hole. It's all subjective, so if that's a significant difference by your measurement standard than who I am to disagree.
That makes no sense and nothing is subjective about that.

One received avg. 9 and 10s... the other avg. 8 and 9s.... that is 1 point difference between reviews... MGSV has 23 perfect scores that is more than all > 9 FFXV scores combined.

You are trying to make a 8 looks like a 9 or 10 lol

HeelPower

MGSV is a towering achievement in gameplay.

The game could have no story & be called "stealth simulator" and it would score in the 90s.

I am curious about this game.

The charme of the older games was the humour, lightheartedness and the fact that it didn't took themselves too serious. There wasn't much pathos, macho behaviour, content for the modern MTV generation (like songs from Leona Lewis) and silly dialogue like Snow in FFXIII with his 'here is your hero!' shit (which was so dissapointing after the great dialogues and classy behaviour of characters in FFXII, which I loved).

How is FFXV? Is it more like the older titles (or like FFXII) or is it more like FFXIII with a lot of pathos, macho culture and crap dialogue?

(this sharp contrast is something that possibly could ruin the FFVII remake. With the shift towards more realistic characters and possibly a desire to appeal to modern audiences, I fear that the game will lose a lot of its charm and lightheartedness and become a game full of macho behaviour, pathos and facepalm content)

GoDLiKe

Just finished the game. It's a solid 8.0, great game. The chapter 13 almost destroy the entire experience but anyway. I'll focus on the other quests now, although some of them are really repetitive. I can't wait to be able to fly with the Regalia!

Mik317

I'm not done w/ FFXV and I will never finish MGSV but MGSV is waaay more polished than XV (that is a lot of acronyms). It runs better, and doesn't have some of the jank ass shit FFXV has.

That is why

Nairume

Banned
I do think there is a quality difference between the two (as much as I like FF15, MGS5 is a better game), but there is a valid comparison point here in that both are very similar in a lot of ways, right down to being plagued by the same flaws.

That said, I imagine it certainly helped that MGS5 did not spend a decade building up a reputation as a running joke, nor did FF15 have the emotional finality caused by Konami's sudden heel turn and everything that we knew Kojima and his team ended up having to go through to get the game done making it all ultimately feel like Metal Gear was pretty much over.

Top Bottom