• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

I'm lowkey kinda pissed that they had Florence create the greatest lyrical theme song in Final Fantasy history (Too Much is Never Enough) and only feature it in the post-game main menu credits. That could have been incredible if it played during the ending somewhere tbh.

I agree, huge missed opportunity. When the soundtrack came out months in advance I was hoping to death they'd use that song meaningfully, but alas, no dice...

Best Luna
tumblr_ocpxsi3KQu1qdny4ho2_500.gif

I loved Luna's Kingsglaive look, and her outfits are incredible. I wish they'd been Luna's in-game outfits. Instead we got - a) plain white dress... b) white oracle dress that looks like a wedding dress... c) Vivienne Westwood's wedding dress that was actually the wedding dress... I wish she'd gotten to keep the the kinda side braid that she's wears in the gif, so good.

I'm lowkey kinda pissed that they had Florence create the greatest lyrical theme song in Final Fantasy history (Too Much is Never Enough) and only feature it in the post-game main menu credits. That could have been incredible if it played during the ending somewhere tbh.

I'm obsessed with I Will Be, it would have also worked really well over the scenic pans in the ending. I hope they use Too Much and I Will Be in the DLCs, at least, both are fantastic.

I loved Luna's Kingsglaive look, and her outfits are incredible. I wish they'd been Luna's in-game outfits. Instead we got - a) plain white dress... b) white oracle dress that looks like a wedding dress... c) Vivienne Westwood's wedding dress that was actually the wedding dress... I wish she'd gotten to keep the the kinda side braid that she's wears in the gif, so good.
I'm not huge on photorealistic art styles in games, but her Kingsglaive dress was definitely better than the one she got in the game.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Best Luna
tumblr_ocpxsi3KQu1qdny4ho2_500.gif

I couldn't pick a favorite, but I definitely like how Luna looks in Kingsglaive, too. Like a haunted Taylor Swift. There are certain angles where she's just breathtaking. Amazing how far CGI has come.
While i like both Luna in Kingsglaive and in Game, i prefer the less anime type look of Kingsglaive. She just looks like a really attractive and believable woman here.

Cloud7

Finished the story last night. I cried so much. The ending was one of the best I've ever seen. What an incredible journey. If only most of the characters had more development, it'd be one of the best of all time. Still...great game. Question...the bros are dead, right? The ending messed with my emotions so much.

Neiteio

Finished the story last night. I cried so much. The ending was one of the best I've ever seen. What an incredible journey. If only most of the characters had more development, it'd be one of the best of all time. Still...great game. Question...the bros are dead, right? The ending messed with my emotions so much.
The bros are alive. That's why Noctis tells them "I leave it to you." Noctis entrusts his kingdom in their care. Also, earlier in Insomnia, while running around, Noct asks Ignis if he can see any light, to know when the sun rises again. Ignis says yes, and Noct says "Good." Noct takes comfort in knowing his friends will rebuild the world they save, and enjoy the world.

And yeah, the ending made me cry too. First with Noct on the steps saying "Walk tall, my friends," then with Noct telling his dad's ghost to kill him (while the ghost hesitates and can't even watch), and then the whole camp scene, and then the wedding, seeing Noct truly happy in the afterlife. Just amazing. I've watched it like 10 times taking screenshots, and it's so good. Caps off the emotional roller-coaster of chapters 9-14 perfectly.

Seriously my favorite ending in a game, up there with TLOU and 999.

The Ultimania guide confirms that the ending is meant to be purposely ambiguous. Canonically we do not know if the bros are dead or if they are alive.

Director commentary states the ending of the game was left purposefully vague, so that the player could decide what happens in the end. It is left entirely up to interpretation.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227303878&postcount=13321

Probity

I want an option to play in an old Noctis outfit or something. I definitely prefer his end game appearance, and the Kingly Raiment doesn't look very good on his younger version.

Also, ouch. I accidentally started a ng+ as a joke to see if anything was different and didn't have a backup save for like 7 hours. I'm almost inclined to just actually redo it all so I can level up easier with less grind, but it is definitely discouraging.

Cloud7

The bros are alive. That's why Noctis tells them "I leave it to you." Noctis entrusts his kingdom in their care. Also, earlier in Insomnia, while running around, Noct asks Ignis if he can see any light, to know when the sun rises again. Ignis says yes, and Noct says "Good." Noct takes comfort in knowing his friends will rebuild the world they save, and enjoy the world.

And yeah, the ending made me cry too. First with Noct on the steps saying "Walk tall, my friends," then with Noct telling his dad's ghost to kill him (while the ghost hesitates and can't even watch), and then the whole camp scene, and then the wedding, seeing Noct truly happy in the afterlife. Just amazing. I've watched it like 10 times taking screenshots, and it's so good. Caps off the emotional roller-coaster of chapters 9-14 perfectly.

Seriously my favorite ending in a game, up there with TLOU and 999.

Yeah but what about the campfire scene? It has to take place after the final battle, right? I'm glad other people have experienced the emotions I have though.

Meowster

The Ultimania guide confirms that the ending is meant to be purposely ambiguous. Canonically we do not know if the bros are dead or if they are alive.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227303878&postcount=13321
He's trying to be as obscure as he can be.

Both interpretations do have thematic merit (though I personally think only one is really supported).

Just like Titanic.
Thanks. I uploaded it to imgur now.
I love it so much. I wonder how Tabata would have designed the characters if he could have. Which was probably for the best after everyone listen their mind over Regis and Luna changing. He altered Noct so many times that I can't help but feel he wasn't too happy with Nomura's original design lol.

Jonnax

Yeah but what about the campfire scene? It has to take place after the final battle, right? I'm glad other people have experienced the emotions I have though.

It takes place before it. It's Noctis coming to peace with what he is going to do.

Since he knows he has to sacrifice himself.to defeat Ardyn and whilst he has accepted that is what he must do, seeing his friends makes it really difficult.

If they were dead then the scene with Luna on their dream wedding day doesn't really work.

As well as Ignis blind in the afterlife, lol.

Neiteio

I used to be similarly confused, but the post-credits campfire scene is actually a flashback to the last night they camped together. The whole idea is that when Noctis goes into the citadel, his friends know he's going to die. We know that they know this, because of the post-credits campfire scene. If you rewatch the scene on the steps of the citadel (after beating Ardyn), it takes on new weight with this in mind. When Prompto sadly says, "No turning back now," he's referring to how this is the last time they'll see their friend.

Thanks. I uploaded it to imgur now.
This art is amazing. Any other good fan works out there?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Chairhome

I used to be similarly confused, but the post-credits campfire scene is actually a flashback to the last night they camped together. The whole idea is that when Noctis goes into the citadel, his friends know he's going to die. We know that they know this, because of the post-credits campfire scene. If you rewatch the scene on the steps of the citadel (after beating Ardyn), it takes on new weight with this in mind. When Prompto sadly says, "No turning back now," he's referring to how this is the last time they'll see their friend.

This art is amazing. Any other good fan works out there?
I watched a video in which the author (of the video) implies it is a ghost of Noctis, and you can tell cause he doesn't have his ring. I agree with this, because I don't believe there was anytime for them to camp between the time when the guys meet up again after the 10 years passed and when they reach the city.

I watched a video in which the author (of the video) implies it is a ghost of Noctis, and you can tell cause he doesn't have his ring. I agree with this, because I don't believe there was anytime for them to camp between the time when the guys meet up again after the 10 years passed and when they reach the city.

You literally camp right before you go to the citadel.

Anybody else super disappointed with this incarnation of Bahamut? Sucks he was not a usable summon and also was pissed he didn't Megaflare Ifrits pompous ass (yes, I realize leveling Insomnia probably wouldn't have been very practical, but still).

Anybody else super disappointed with this incarnation of Bahamut? Sucks he was not a usable summon and also was pissed he didn't Megaflare Ifrits pompous ass (yes, I realize leveling Insomnia probably wouldn't have been very practical, but still).
I'm hoping future patches make Bahamut and Ifrit summonable in the postgame for sure.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Nah, I just hate when they paste an actor/model's face into a character and call it a day.
Uh that's not how character model creation works. Even with facial scanning there's a lot that went into making her look like that. For instance retaining the hairstyle but making it look like actual hair and ofc the little micro-details that are seemingly avoided in favor of having a flawless doll in so many JRPGs.

joe2187

Banned
Long ass rant. Be warned

I hated everything after Altissia.

I wanted to have more adventure with the bros.

None of the emotional impacts every hit for me at all. Lunas death barely even phased me, because I was always confused at to what role Luna played and how exactly Noctis and Lunas relationship even played out since even in Kingsglaive it was shown that he spent like a couple of weeks healing with her and all of a sudden OUR DESTINIES ARE ENTWINED bullshit that happens offscreen or something.

She died, and then he turned into a super saiyan, and then the entire story turned to shit.

Gladio at least kept it real to try and salvage how shit everything got.

But then you just literally take a roller coaster ride through the rest of the game by passing what seem like some really interesting and amazing looking locales only for them to be just background dressings for plot purposes.

Prompto gets thrown off a train by noctis during a confusing cutscene only to be told what really happened by text in a loading screen...

At some point Shiva was killed by the empire....wait..what how? and when? and for what reason?

only not really because shiva is really Gentiana the whole time....so what....okay whatever.

Ardyn was the bad guy all along! OH NO but he was such a ....really shady asshole all along so...surprise?

We get to the Imperial capital....very easily (of course it's easy, because IT'S A TRAP) and it's empty as fuck. And just like the rest of the previous chapters you just gloss over the GIGANTIC IMMENSE city and the fucking STAR DESTROYER that's hovering above because...fuck it, that's not important or interesting at all. And then we are thrown into a dungeon that is the most boring and mind numbing shit I've played in any game ever with no weapons and forced to trot like a little girl.

At that point I didnt care what happened I just wanted the game to stop wasting my time. Oh and Revus is dead...sort of and he died fighting a bunch of random jobber MTs because thats...fucking stupid. So lets finish the rest of the dungeon

but no, the dungeon lasts forever, and you see nothing but endless corriodors and probably the lamest of all of the enviroments in the game.

Oh and the Imperials they were nothing, they were literally just toys for Ardyns schemes, because the 100 year war that spanned entire continents that was conquered by the Imperials were just raw material for making Demons.

And oh no, prompto has been tortured and imprisioned this entire time and all I've got to say is "imsorry" with absolutely no emotion whatsoever

Oh and Prompto is an MT...what is an MT exactly if prompto is one? Oh...the game never really explained that except maybe they're demons, or soulless machines or both or maybe clones...or....I dont really care?

Prompto shows his bros what he really is and then they all bro hug and say some cheesy afternoon special crap and can this chapter just end already? oh and there is a machine that can shut off the royal magic....conveniently.

After Noctis got absorbed into the stone I just gave up at that point. I just wanted the game to end.

And then Ten years later, The plot from the new 2016 ghostbusters happened to the entire world and the only one who can stop it is Neo...I mean Keanu Reeves....I mean noctis.

fast forward through some exposition and we finally get to the end, and you have to kill Ardyn two times, because the first time wasnt enough and then you get happy every after with Luna and Noctis in the afterlife staring at photo of a cup of noodles.

The ending with Luna made me hate the ending even more than I could have it just ended with them just outright dying.

Seeing the empty clothes of the diner girl in Galdin Quay after the apocolypse was more emotionally impacting than seeing Luna marrying Noctis in the afterlife.

I enjoyed the game immensely, and even platinumed it...but man...fuck that ending.

Orcastar

Long ass rant. Be warned

None of the emotional impacts every hit for me at all. Lunas death barely even phased me, because I was always confused at to what role Luna played and how exactly Noctis and Lunas relationship even played out since even in Kingsglaive it was shown that he spent like a couple of weeks healing with her and all of a sudden OUR DESTINIES ARE ENTWINED bullshit that happens offscreen or something.

She died, and then he turned into a super saiyan, and then the entire story turned to shit.

But then you just literally take a roller coaster ride through the rest of the game by passing what seem like some really interesting and amazing looking locales only for them to be just background dressings for plot purposes.

Prompto gets thrown off a train by noctis during a confusing cutscene only to be told what really happened by text in a loading screen...

At some point Shiva was killed by the empire....wait..what how? and when? and for what reason?

only not really because shiva is really Gentiana the whole time....so what....okay whatever.

Ardyn was the bad guy all along! OH NO but he was such a ....really shady asshole all along so...surprise?

We get to the Imperial capital....very easily (of course it's easy, because IT'S A TRAP) and it's empty as fuck. And just like the rest of the previous chapters you just gloss over the GIGANTIC IMMENSE city and the fucking STAR DESTROYER that's hovering above because...fuck it, that's not important or interesting at all. And then we are thrown into a dungeon that is the most boring and mind numbing shit I've played in any game ever with no weapons and forced to trot like a little girl.

At that point I didnt care what happened I just wanted the game to stop wasting my time. Oh and Revus is dead...sort of and he died fighting a bunch of random jobber MTs because thats...fucking stupid. So lets finish the rest of the dungeon

but no, the dungeon lasts forever, and you see nothing but endless corriodors and probably the lamest of all of the enviroments in the game.

Oh and the Imperials they were nothing, they were literally just toys for Ardyns schemes, because the 100 year war that spanned entire continents that was conquered by the Imperials were just raw material for making Demons.

And oh no, prompto has been tortured and imprisioned this entire time and all I've got to say is "imsorry" with absolutely no emotion whatsoever

Oh and Prompto is an MT...what is an MT exactly if prompto is one? Oh...the game never really explained that except maybe they're demons, or soulless machines or both or maybe clones...or....I dont really care?

Prompto shows his bros what he really is and then they all bro hug and say some cheesy afternoon special crap and can this chapter just end already? oh and there is a machine that can shut off the royal magic....conveniently.

After Noctis got absorbed into the stone I just gave up at that point. I just wanted the game to end.

And then Ten years later, The plot from the new 2016 ghostbusters happened to the entire world and the only one who can stop it is Neo...I mean Keanu Reeves....I mean noctis.

fast forward through some exposition and we finally get to the end, and you have to kill Ardyn two times, because the first time wasnt enough and then you get happy every after with Luna and Noctis in the afterlife staring at photo of a cup of noodles.

The ending with Luna made me hate the ending even more than I could have it just ended with them just outright dying.

Seeing the empty clothes of the diner girl in Galdin Quay after the apocolypse was more emotionally impacting than seeing Luna marrying Noctis in the afterlife.

I enjoyed the game immensely, and even platinumed it...but man...fuck that ending.

This is pretty much exactly how I felt. The whole game just completely falls apart in the second half.

There are plenty of games that have managed to make me emotionally invested and even cry, but FFXV is certainly not one of them. I've seen plenty of people praising the ending and I just don't understand what anyone sees in it.

Dimmle

I think I like the idea of the ending of FFXV more than the execution.

First, main character dying: always a good thing in my book. Second, the campfire scene was nice and seemed to be the only part of the ending that understood where FFXV has any trace of emotional resonance, the dynamic between the main ensemble.

Neiteio

You camp right before you go to Insomnia. Remember how you have an opportunity to cook one last meal? It happens automatically after leaving Hammerhead. The idea is the talk took place that night.

Also, they show Noctis putting on the ring when he arrives in the city, hence why he wasn't wearing it at camp. So the post-credits camp scene is a flashback to that night, and how the bros knew Noct was going to die.

And to the guy ranting in the other post about the "star destroyer," Ch. 13 takes place inside the one at Gralea, after you ascend the first elevator. And Ardyn's switcharoo with Prompto was easy to follow; it was obvious from the way "Ardyn" was talking and acting.

Second half of the game was amazing. Both halves are great, but the roller-coaster rush of memorable moments in chapters 9-14 were among my favorites in any game this year. So good.

Chairhome

You literally camp right before you go to the citadel.

You camp right before you go to Insomnia. Remember how you have an opportunity to cook one last meal? It happens automatically after leaving Hammerhead. The idea is the talk took place that night.

Also, they show Noctis putting on the ring when he arrives in the city, hence why he wasn't wearing it at camp. So the post-credits camp scene is a flashback to that night, and how the bros knew Noct was going to die.

And to the guy ranting in the other post about the "star destroyer," Ch. 13 takes place inside the one at Gralea, after you ascend the first elevator. And Ardyn's switcharoo with Prompto was easy to follow; it was obvious from the way "Ardyn" was talking and acting.

Second half of the game was amazing. Both halves are great, but the roller-coaster rush of memorable moments in chapters 9-14 were among my favorites in any game this year. So good.
Man, I have a terrible memory. I take it all back. Haha

Probity

I feel like too many people weren't going all in trying to find out information. The second half seems to try and take a lot of inspiration from The Last of Us or something in terms of extra storytelling approaches. Like when you walk around the train and read the newspapers or listen to the radio. They tell you a bunch of information that isn't actually vital to the main story - being the one about Noctis and the crystal. Stuff about Ravus' getting capital punishment bc of the leviathan disaster, the nights getting longer as analyzed by that one academic you do fetch quests for, etc. These things are nice to know but by no means vital information.

The same goes for Chapter 13. They explain why it's empty. There are letters and stuff around that detail how a disease broke out and couldn't be prevented. And then they realized it wasn't a disease, it was the results of the Empire's tampering with the breeding of Daemons. Then you realize everyone was turning into Daemons. Then you literally fight the emperor-turned-demon before you fight Ravus-turned-demon. Like of course nobody is around - they're all basically dead.

And hell, context clues can hint at a lot of it anyways - it is called environmental storytelling. We already knew the empire was hunting down the Astrals, and I'm fairly confident in saying that there was at least one instance where we're told about Shiva's death. I feel like there might even be dialogue about it at some point.

The second half isn't paced perfectly, I definitely agree, but the general story itself isn't as big of a shitshow as some people seem to be criticizing it. A lot of times it feels like some people are being lazy. If anything, the consistent emphasis on the emotional issues and the disarray of the party and the chaos of the world are better approached than some of the first half. The open world was nice, but there is DEFINITELY a lot to be desired in some of the early storytelling and the behaviors of the characters.

I like the whole game, and I think that at face-value the story is actually fairly strong. The execution definitely could have been better, but it's not bad. It's been mostly enjoyable for most people I've talked to about it, and it was for me. I haven't even seen the anime or the film, and I didn't feel lost on anything. This isn't The Lord of the Rings, we don't need the finite details of every single thing in this world. I'm fine with more information and welcome the changes in Ch 13, but the problem of the story and the second half isn't nearly as major as I've been reading.

Man, I have a terrible memory. I take it all back. Haha
Lol I had to go back and find a youtube video to be sure that i wasn't dreaming up the last camping moment,

And hell, context clues can hint at a lot of it anyways - it is called environmental storytelling. We already knew the empire was hunting down the Astrals, and I'm fairly confident in saying that there was at least one instance where we're told about Shiva's death. I feel like there might even be dialogue about it at some point.

They tell you shiva died like right before you see the ice area, at least thats when it was first introduced. And I dont remember them even coming close to saying or eluding that they were trying to kill titan before you fight him. I was incredibly confused when fighting him as to why the empire was helping me. Then we get to the ravus and ardyn scene in altissia then it became more clear that they were trying to kill the astrals. Then at some point later, after altissia i think, Gladio or Ignis mentions that the Empire has slain half of the astrals. What was that about?! I was left thinking for a while that they killed Leviathan and I couldnt use her as a summon or something and that the rest of the game I wasn't to get any other summons. Some story stuff really needed some help being properly explained.

Probity

Lol I had to go back and find a youtube video to be sure that i wasn't dreaming up the last camping moment,

They tell you shiva died like right before you see the ice area, at least thats when it was first introduced. And I dont remember them even coming close to saying or eluding that they were trying to kill titan before you fight him. I was incredibly confused when fighting him as to why the empire was helping me. Then we get to the ravus and ardyn scene in altissia then it became more clear that they were trying to kill the astrals. Then at some point later, after altissia i think, Gladio or Ignis mentions that the Empire has slain half of the astrals. What was that about?! I was left thinking for a while that they killed Leviathan and I couldnt use her as a summon or something and that the rest of the game I wasn't to get any other summons. Some story stuff really needed some help being properly explained.

I'm essentially forced to replay the story now anyways because I messed up my saves when messing around on New Game +, so I'll be able to get reminded at some point, but I really feel like there is a lot of information in the game already that's just not conveniently or outright stated. Regardless of how much I can guarantee about the Astral hunting, it isn't that important that we as players know. Say there is nothing to suggest they are trying to kill Titan or anyone else, it's completely fine to intend for the player to be as confused as Noctis when the Empire shows up trying to make a mess. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Now in terms of Summons and all that, I can confess I had no understanding of the parameters to use them or that they were a serious option until I found out by accident. There is a lot to be desired on certain things, and perhaps that includes the Astral-hunting side story. But at the end of the day, without the context, it could just be assumed that Ardyn is having the Empire kill them as an extension to his Daemon plot and all that. Even if that's not satisfactory, it really doesn't matter why the Empire is going about their business, even if there is hard-to-find info already present. At the end of the day the plot isn't about the Six, the Empire, or a lot of other things. It's about Noctis obtaining the power of kings and such for retrieving the crystal and rising to his unknown-until-the-end calling as King. He doesn't know a lot of the information, and we don't need to know all of it either. But in a lot of cases we do know so it isn't that big of a deal. Though I won't deny the DLC-baiting that was done, or some of the other issues that are being addressed in the patches already.

I won't argue about things needing to be properly explained either. I agree for the most part with that statement. A lot of things could have been approached better, and there could have been a ton of really interesting expansion to the main story with other inclusions - it just isn't there. Some of it will be addressed as time goes on, some of it won't. In the end I still think the main story is definitely fleshed out and easily understood, just that it has pacing problems. If you're concerned about the extra stuff, I can understand, but it also isn't 100% necessary or 100% absent either.

But at the end of the day, without the context, it could just be assumed that Ardyn is having the Empire kill them as an extension to his Daemon plot and all that. Even if that's not satisfactory, it really doesn't matter why the Empire is going about their business, even if there is hard-to-find info already present. At the end of the day the plot isn't about the Six, the Empire, or a lot of other things. It's about Noctis obtaining the power of kings and such for retrieving the crystal and rising to his unknown-until-the-end calling as King.

Well I mean you don't really find out about the daemons until way later, but you're right I honestly was completely satisfied with the explanation during the Leviathan trial that the Empire just wanted to kill the gods because they're evil. It made sense at the time and so I was happy having that minor motivation. But if I were to go through the game not even knowing that or having that motivation expanded on, it would be ridiculous. So to say that the game isnt about the plot of the Six or the Empire, while somewhat true, just sounds handwavey to me when they are pretty integral parts of Noctis' journey. But anyway I really do like this game a lot which is why I'm miffed there are points that could be better explained because I want to know more, reading the Cosmogyny passages or the Niflheim reports were exciting to me.

But also does anyone else remember one of the boyband mentioning the Nifs having killed half of the Astrals? What was that about? I seriously was stunned for a second having thought I just didn't pay attention. Was this just a lie the empire was spreading, or did me taking their power technically kill them since they only exist when I call upon them now? I'm actually curious to these answers.

Darksol

Long ass rant. Be warned

Pretty much my exact sentiments. I enjoyed the game despite the story, not because of it.

Grahamsprodigy

Neo Member
I don't like that I took the time to get to level 99 and there are still monsters that wipe my party out with one hit.

Also the Regalia-F is pointless except to get to the impossible dungeon.

In spite of that, I still found the ending a bit of a tear jerker. I managed to push the bizarreness of the last few chapters of the story out of my mind and focused only on the guys.

Hopefully the DLC won't all be terrible. I wanna know what Gladio was up to that made him want ramen so bad.

Probity

Well I mean you don't really find out about the daemons until way later, but you're right I honestly was completely satisfied with the explanation during the Leviathan trial that the Empire just wanted to kill the gods because they're evil. It made sense at the time and so I was happy having that minor motivation. But if I were to go through the game not even knowing that or having that motivation expanded on, it would be ridiculous. So to say that the game isnt about the plot of the Six or the Empire, while somewhat true, just sounds handwavey to me when they are pretty integral parts of Noctis' journey. But anyway I really do like this game a lot which is why I'm miffed there are points that could be better explained because I want to know more, reading the Cosmogyny passages or the Niflheim reports were exciting to me.

But also does anyone else remember one of the boyband mentioning the Nifs having killed half of the Astrals? What was that about? I seriously was stunned for a second having thought I just didn't pay attention. Was this just a lie the empire was spreading, or did me taking their power technically kill them since they only exist when I call upon them now? I'm actually curious to these answers.

I'm not intentionally trying to be handwavey. I don't disagree with you fully. I think that things could be more fleshed out or better explained and I would enjoy it. I really like the sort of universe that was created here and it feels really fun to be a part of. I'm as disappointed as many because there is so much potential for this to have been or be even better and it's unfortunate that we couldn't have that.

I'm just saying that a lot of gripes are a little nitpicky at times and a lot of the major issues people have aren't that big of an issue. I've got this huge thing going in the OT right now trying to explain that I think the story at face value is good and well made. I don't disagree with pacing issues and such, but I think that the whole is fairly good and a lot of gripes are just over the table.

Like yeah if we couldn't come up with a reason why the Empire was killing the gods it would be weird I guess, but given that we know (with no context) that we like the gods and that the Empire is hunting them - we have an established structure where we don't need to know anything else. If you're technical, we know as much as Noctis about that plot for a while. I'm at the point as it progressed that makes me feel like it was just an extension of Ardyn's work, seeing as the rest of the Empire was basically doing his stuff anyways. Also as important as it is to the overall story that Noctis is getting their favor, do we really need much more than "I need to collect the favor of the Gods for their strength to save my city and reclaim the crystal, but my nemesis, responsible for my father's death, is trying to stop me." That's not even the full story but without any other information you could take that and roll with it because that's basically what is happening.

Also I don't know what you're referring to with the quote, but maybe I'll come back to it eventually. Replaying the story will take a while though, so someone else will probably need to remember before then lol. I'm personally in the dark about the nature of summoning in this game. I don't know if the gods were sacrificing themselves essentially or anything like that. I only know the requirements for summoning because I looked it up. There is a lot missing there. I just kind of assume that they are like surrendering their mortal bodies when they give me their favor, and that they still exist in the Afterlife/spirit world fundamentally as creators. I'd like answers on this too if anyone has them lol.

Orcastar

I don't understand the bit about the Empire killing the Astrals either. Which three did they even kill? Titan and Shiva I guess, but what about the third? Was Ramuh already dead since you never actually meet him? Or did they kill Bahamut since he's just chilling inside the crystal? And how is Shiva dead if she's still running around as Gentiana? At what point did she "die"?

Also, what's the deal with Titan and Meteor? I remember Ignis saying at some point that the Meteor never actually hit the ground because Titan caught it and has been holding it up ever since. Yet when Titan "dies", the Meteor vanishes with him. Why? Was it a part of him? Does any of this have any relevance to the actual plot, or was the whole thing just an excuse to include Meteor in there somewhere because it's one of the things every Final Fantasy has to include?

Probity

I wish there was more of the game based in the diplomacy situation in Altissia. Taking the role as an actual king and talking to sort things out like a leader and politician felt really satisfying. It was the most rpg-like idea in the game other than ascension perks. I didn't even need real consequences, I just wanted more input in my interactions in the game. It felt really engaging.

So I just beat the game for the first time and here are some quick thoughts.

-Chapter 13 while bad wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. But fuck that certainly killed a lot of momentum for the game.

-The ending has to be one of the most tragic I've seen in an FF, not sure what everyone else thinks but I walked away with the impression that Noctis and his whole party was killed during the Finale.

-If you were to just list the story beats on paper and expand on them you would see the makings of a really great FF story. Unfortunately the way it's told leaves a lot to be desired. If I didn't have subtitles on I would have missed the fact that the Emperor was turned into a Daemon. How are they going to introduce something like Prompto being an MT and not address it or give more context to why his loyalties are with Lucis or even how his ass ended up in Insomnia.

- WTF happend to Cor and Iris?

- I wish we got to see Noctis and Luna spend more time together, for a love story to be one of the central pillars of this universe, it sucks that we barely saw the characters interact with each other. Sending the rest of the guys away while Noctis and Luna were off on their own would have been a great way to add some depth to their relationship.

-The friendship between Noctis, Ignis, Gladio and Prompto feels very organic. It reminds me of my relationship with my closest friends. We are so comfortable with each other that it's okay to cry to one another and seek comfort. It's alright to talk about your problems and how you feel. The relationship and interaction with the guys is one of the reasons why I think it would have helped to have had Noctis spend more time alone with Luna.

- Did Prompto get the Girl? I was rooting for him and Cindy.

-Ardyn was a great Villain who suffered greatly from the way the story was told. It seems there was a lot of personal pain he was suffering that motivated him to becoming a monster, it's a shame we didn't get a chance to explore that.

-Stand by me was such a fitting song. I cant get it out of my head. The OST was excellent.

All in all, I am thankful for Final Fantasy XV. It left me with some great memories and the friendship angle really hit home for me. I'll admit after FFXIII and MGSV (the worst entries in my two favourite game series) I was a bit bummed out with gaming. I played a ton of video games and I wasn't sure if it was fatigue or that I was growing away from the hobby but I just felt disengaged with gaming after playing those games.

I just didn't feel the connection anymore. But FFXV left me with more positive feelings than bad. It was nonetheless an emotional journey that has reignited my love for gaming. While it may not be the greatest game or Final Fantasy, it delivered. Square-Enix has taken one solid step forward to rebuilding the trust with it's fans.

When FFXV succeeded we were brought with some amazing Highs and when it stumbled we felt the lows. All in All, it was a great return to form and Im excited to see what Square Enix takes the franchise next. Especially since the monkey of VSXIII/XV is now finally off their back. They have a clean slate and a decade of turmoil to learn from. They have a lot to prove and some ambitious projects in the pipeline.

When they said to "Please Be Excited" I think this is what they meant. They know they fucked up hard and that the trust has been broken and it will take a level of consistency and Quality to regain that respect from fans. But if FFXV is any indication, I can feel the hype rising.

Top Bottom