• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

Koozek

So I just beat the game for the first time and here are some quick thoughts.

-Chapter 13 while bad wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. But fuck that certainly killed a lot of momentum for the game.

-The ending has to be one of the most tragic I've seen in an FF, not sure what everyone else thinks but I walked away with the impression that Noctis and his whole party was killed during the Finale.

-If you were to just list the story beats on paper and expand on them you would see the makings of a really great FF story. Unfortunately the way it's told leaves a lot to be desired. If I didn't have subtitles on I would have missed the fact that the Emperor was turned into a Daemon. How are they going to introduce something like Prompto being an MT and not address it or give more context to why his loyalties are with Lucis or even how his ass ended up in Insomnia.

- WTF happend to Cor and Iris?

- I wish we got to see Noctis and Luna spend more time together, for a love story to be one of the central pillars of this universe, it sucks that we barely saw the characters interact with each other. Sending the rest of the guys away while Noctis and Luna were off on their own would have been a great way to add some depth to their relationship.

-The friendship between Noctis, Ignis, Gladio and Prompto feels very organic. It reminds me of my relationship with my closest friends. We are so comfortable with each other that it's okay to cry to one another and seek comfort. It's alright to talk about your problems and how you feel. The relationship and interaction with the guys is one of the reasons why I think it would have helped to have had Noctis spend more time alone with Luna.

- Did Prompto get the Girl? I was rooting for him and Cindy.

-Ardyn was a great Villain who suffered greatly from the way the story was told. It seems there was a lot of personal pain he was suffering that motivated him to becoming a monster, it's a shame we didn't get a chance to explore that.

-Stand by me was such a fitting song. I cant get it out of my head. The OST was excellent.

All in all, I am thankful for Final Fantasy XV. It left me with some great memories and the friendship angle really hit home for me. I'll admit after FFXIII and MGSV (the worst entries in my two favourite game series) I was a bit bummed out with gaming. I played a ton of video games and I wasn't sure if it was fatigue or that I was growing away from the hobby but I just felt disengaged with gaming after playing those games.

I just didn't feel the connection anymore. But FFXV left me with more positive feelings than bad. It was nonetheless an emotional journey that has reignited my love for gaming. While it may not be the greatest game or Final Fantasy, it delivered. Square-Enix has taken one solid step forward to rebuilding the trust with it's fans.

When FFXV succeeded we were brought with some amazing Highs and when it stumbled we felt the lows. All in All, it was a great return to form and Im excited to see what Square Enix takes the franchise next. Especially since the monkey of VSXIII/XV is now finally off their back. They have a clean slate and a decade of turmoil to learn from. They have a lot to prove and some ambitious projects in the pipeline.

When they said to "Please Be Excited" I think this is what they meant. They know they fucked up hard and that the trust has been broken and it will take a level of consistency and Quality to regain that respect from fans. But if FFXV is any indication, I can feel the hype rising.
Yuppp. I agree with many of your points.

Koozek

mQdrEsv.gif

This is cool. How many Techniques does she have? Haven't fought with Iris yet. I guess it's only possible in the chapter where you're driving to Caem with her?

Ishida

Banned
oh fuck didn't notice that. RIP.

Empty clothing also means that she didn't die, she became a Daemon. Even more tragic.

I wonder if Noctis' sacrifice at the end reverted the Daemons back to humans, or if the Crystal simply exterminated all of them.

Pantz

That's the only one I think.

Same technique, but if you use it on a magitek assassin or probably other human-like targets she'll do more of a solo head scissor type attack that one shots the assassins. With all the heals and everything I'd take her over Aranea in my party any day.

Twookie

Many great points here.

I too thought chapter 13 was going to be a lot worse than it was for me, but I can definitely see why people didn't like it.

Your last point resonates with me aswell, and that's the reason I'm very optimistic for the DLC and story fixes that coming for this game assuming these don't suffer from the same dev stress as FFXV allegedly did.

Will be exciting for sure to see where FF will go in the future.

How are they going to introduce something like Prompto being an MT and not address it or give more context to why his loyalties are with Lucis or even how his ass ended up in Insomnia.

- WTF happend to Cor and Iris?
The rumor is that they are going to have DLC for each member of the brotherhood, that will fill in their backstory some. In fact, the game made it obvious for Gladio, since he just up and left the party to do some mysterious thing and returned later with a new scar, and never explained it; I assume that's what the player will see during his DLC. And probably Promoto after his fall off the train. Not sure when Ignis' segment will be, I wouldn't think it'd be as short as the Altissia battle.

As for Iris, they do say in the dark world that she's up in Lestallum, I think they said she had become a demon hunter. Sucks they didn't show her in the end though.

Ferr986

Empty clothing also means that she didn't die, she became a Daemon. Even more tragic.

I wonder if Noctis' sacrifice at the end reverted the Daemons back to humans, or if the Crystal simply exterminated all of them.

ughh... I want to think she just ran off naked lol

Tabata what is your problem!

Same technique, but if you use it on a magitek assassin or probably other human-like targets she'll do more of a solo head scissor type attack that one shots the assassins. With all the heals and everything I'd take her over Aranea in my party any day.

Ah yes I noticed Aranea's Jump technice has 2 animations depending on mobs.

Cloud7

I used to be similarly confused, but the post-credits campfire scene is actually a flashback to the last night they camped together. The whole idea is that when Noctis goes into the citadel, his friends know he's going to die. We know that they know this, because of the post-credits campfire scene. If you rewatch the scene on the steps of the citadel (after beating Ardyn), it takes on new weight with this in mind. When Prompto sadly says, "No turning back now," he's referring to how this is the last time they'll see their friend./QUOTE]

What about when the game replays the audio from them pushing the car? When I first heard that, I thought Noctis ending the curse of Lucis also included them reverting the timeline and their journey would happen again but wouldn't be about what it was before. The land was restored and then Noctis and Luna married and everything was ok.

But then I noticed that the wall was still destroyed at the capital building. Ugh lol

Neiteio

What about when the game replays the audio from them pushing the car? When I first heard that, I thought Noctis ending the curse of Lucis also included them reverting the timeline and their journey would happen again but wouldn't be about what it was before. The land was restored and then Noctis and Luna married and everything was ok.

But then I noticed that the wall was still destroyed at the capital building. Ugh lol
The credits audio is just remembering your adventure. Same for the photos that play over the credits.

Hey, anyone have good links to the Florence songs in this game?

Gbraga

mQdrEsv.gif

This is cool. How many Techniques does she have? Haven't fought with Iris yet. I guess it's only possible in the chapter where you're driving to Caem with her?

It's the only one, but it has a 99% crit rate if you level it up.

I did a lot of exploring with Iris :D

Pretty much mirrored my thoughts. I went into chapter 13 with the expectation that I'd absolutely hate it. Eh, I guess it wasn't a great moment in the game, but overall I thought the hate was waaaaaay exaggerated.

And while the game is far from perfect, damn if I didn't love it. After the XIII triple threat, FF is finally back.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Woah, what happened to Ishida?

Anyways, the fact that we got to see Talcott instead of Iris or Araenea or even Cindy is criminal. What the hell were they thinking.

Edzi

Anyways, the fact that we got to see Talcott instead of Iris or Araenea or even Cindy is criminal. What the hell were they thinking.

I feel like Iris would have been the most appropriate given her relationship with the guys. Seemed weird to not touch base with her.

As far as Ishida goes, pretty sure he's gotten banned before. Kinda easy to guess why if you've ever seen him in an MGS thread, and to a lesser degree this one.

Ruff

I've seen a lot of mentioning that Lestallium was completed in the world of ruin world. I'm curious to see if anyone is able to glitch out of the galdin quay area and see if it's still in game to some extent.

I feel like Iris would have been the most appropriate given her relationship with the guys. Seemed weird to not touch base with her.

Because Jared.
I thought I would be going into post game but I don't know, I'm still not ready to return to do all the open world stuff. And NG+ isn't really appealing either right now. I think either the whole narrative post chapter 9 would need to be stronger, or the ending would need to be less tragic for me to jump right back in. I love the ending, but replaying a half baked story knowing I'm just moving towards the most depressing FF ending ever is..bleh.

So I'm replaying X-2, which is basically the opposite in every way possible.
It also has a higher metacritic score

Just finished the game. Is ther a FAQ or something, somehere? This thread has come a long way.

Yeah, I actaully hate Talcott and Jared. I wish they don't exisit, it won't change a thing anyway. Iris can take Talcott's 'part' while Cor can take Jared's.

I've played through and finished every mainline FF game (barring XI and XVI) and I have to say the final campfire scene where Noctis tells his friends "You guys are the best" has to be the best scene in ANY FF title. The way it was presented and delivered was just perfect. It managed to invoke an emotional response without being cheesy, melodramatic or over the top (unlike a lot of the other FF games). There wasn't a single proclamation of I love you guys or group hug and yet it managed to convey the bond between the brothers better than any of those things would have done. A huge well done to whoever wrote that scene and the actors who performed in it.
If Square Enix can continue writing scenes of this calibre then FF games will truly be the best.
Can anyone think of a better scene in any FF game?

ramyeon

I've played through and finished every mainline FF game (barring XI and XVI) and I have to say the final campfire scene where Noctis tells his friends "You guys are the best" has to be the best scene in ANY FF title. The way it was presented and delivered was just perfect. It managed to invoke an emotional response without being cheesy, melodramatic or over the top (unlike a lot of the other FF games). There wasn't a single proclamation of I love you guys or group hug and yet it managed to convey the bond between the brothers better than any of those things would have done. A huge well done to whoever wrote that scene and the actors who performed in it.
If Square Enix can continue writing scenes of this calibre then FF games will truly be the best.
It was really well done indeed. The voice actor for Noctis really nailed it when it counted. That scene and the confrontation with Ardyn were spot on.

"Off my throne, Jester. The king sits there."

It was really well done indeed. The voice actor for Noctis really nailed it when it counted. That scene and the confrontation with Ardyn were spot on.

This line made me realize that I wanted to spend another 25 hours with 30 year old "tired of this bullshit" Noctis. He and Gladious would probably be on the same page more often as well.

Guys I just finished the game and it's my 2016 GOTY. The afterlife ending cutscene moved me to tears (Few games have ever made me tear up... certainly no FF before had done it) and I let out a loud gasp as I realized the game was showing to me the goddamn title logo.

Heartbreaking, tragic, and amazing. Such a shame the storytelling suffered so much in the middle but fucking hell that ending!

FFXV may be my favorite in the series. I have to let things marinate but I do know it has:
A) the best fucking ending
B) the best climax
C) the best main party of characters. The connection and chemistry between these friends is second to none
D) the absolute, undisputed best FF main protagonist of all time and I will fight whoever tells me otherwise
E) the most handsomest FF character ever? I'm a straight guy but by the end Noctis was looking hot. Young 20 year old Bocis has nothing on 30something gruff Noct.

I need to think and let time pass but this could be my favorite FF. I need to think about it.

Also? My 2016 GOTY!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

The only scene I remembered that destroyed me at probably a higher level emotionally was when I was playing FFVII at the very first time, when Sephiroth stabbed Aeris. I was destroyed when that happened.

Too bad such a fantastic scene that really tug at your heartstring like that in FFXV is truly an exception, not the rule.

A thousand times YES! I started to tear up at the same time as Noctis and by the moment we saw him marrying Luna in the afterlife with the FF theme song I was bawling. The cherry on top was the logo reveal which made me loudly gasp when I saw it.

What an amazing fucking ending. I can't believe it.

Look at me. Im still all emotional.

oh fuck didn't notice that. RIP.

I noticed that as well. In Chapter 13 you will find random clothing all over the floors in some areas, including Iedolus' clothing on the throne which means that she turned into a daemon.

They definitely should have added more to the World of Ruin. Getting to go to Lestallum and see Daemon Hunter Iris, Cor and Cindy would have been great. They also hint at Aranea, Biggs and Wedge having their own armies going around which they never showed either.

The rumor is that they are going to have DLC for each member of the brotherhood, that will fill in their backstory some. In fact, the game made it obvious for Gladio, since he just up and left the party to do some mysterious thing and returned later with a new scar, and never explained it; I assume that's what the player will see during his DLC. And probably Promoto after his fall off the train. Not sure when Ignis' segment will be, I wouldn't think it'd be as short as the Altissia battle.

As for Iris, they do say in the dark world that she's up in Lestallum, I think they said she had become a demon hunter. Sucks they didn't show her in the end though.

It's not rumored, we know there is a dlc for each and where it is.

Gladio when he leaves the party (we know he fights some daemons in a cave, that's about it). Prompto when he falls off the train (his takes place primarily in Shiva's area, we know it's an area covered in snow at least). Ignis DOES take place in the evacuation of Altissia where he gets blinded.

The rest of the dlc is item packs and the multiplayer additions. It doesn't really leave any room for Iris, Cor or Aranea to appear in story roles.

As for the ending, Tabata wants it to be ambiguous, but Noct (and presumably all of the va) were given the direction to picture it as the afterlife.

LordKasual

Banned

How oh how did Ishida get banned

ironmang

Alright, I'm going to post here since this seems more active than OT right now. Is there anyway to fast forward to dawn without just letting my game idle for an hour? Sleeping at camp wakes me up at 9am regardless of when I go to sleep. And this spot is so out of the way that there's nothing to do while waiting until dawn besides setting my controller down and doing something else.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
As for the ending, Tabata wants it to be ambiguous, but Noct (and presumably all of the va) were given the direction to picture it as the afterlife.

Well then he failed miserably, lol.

Alright, I'm going to post here since this seems more active than OT right now. Is there anyway to fast forward to dawn without just letting my game idle for an hour? Sleeping at camp wakes me up at 9am regardless of when I go to sleep. And this spot is so out of the way that there's nothing to do while waiting until dawn besides setting my controller down and doing something else.

Naooope, gotta wait.

In post game camping will wake you up at 6 again and it does count as dawn.

NMFried

Just finished my first playthrough.

Looking at some of the points in the thread so far, I agree that the story is very, very tragic, even the reveal at the end with the logo changing just makes it all the more sad as "Stand By Me" plays and you realize everyone is dead...

But, I knew where things were headed when Luna bit it. I'm such a sucker for a tropey love story that I desperately wanted her to live, but I appreciated the nod at the end. I guess this really was their... final fantasy.

Also super sad that we won't get any sequels about the guys having scruffy dude adventures.

I chuckled at that line. He delivered it beautifully. I also would love to see more of old, gruff
and hawt
Noctis.

Anyone remembers how GAF hated Noctis' voice actor in that first English trailer? I certainly do. All those comments saying he was trying too hard to sound like Batman. How wrong were they.

As it turns out, as far as I'm concerned, Noctis is the best FF protagonist of all time. And even if you disagree I think we can all agree he was certainly the best acted by far.

jb1234

I loved it up until the bros responded to him. What they said didn't feel very authentic to me. Can't decide whether it's bad writing or just a bad localization.

JayEH

I chuckled at that line. He delivered it beautifully. I also would love to see more of old, gruff
and hawt
Noctis.

Anyone remembers how GAF hated Noctis' voice actor in that first English trailer? I certainly do. All those comments saying he was trying too hard to sound like Batman. How wrong were they.

As it turns out, as far as I'm concerned, Noctis is the best FF protagonist of all time. And even if you disagree I think we can all agree he was certainly the best acted by far.

Well he did sound like batman in the first trailer and demo even Tabata said it, that's why they changed the voice direction.

Edzi

and hawt
Noctis.

Nah, they were right and you have them to thank for the stellar performance we got since they actually had the VA redo lines.

Neiteio

Noctis is the best. <3

One quibble, though... In the final battle, when Noct and Ardyn first clash swords and knock each other into buildings, Noct goes from wearing his royal garb to wearing the black suit, and I'm not sure how. Continuity error?

Ruff

Noctis is the best. <3

One quibble, though... In the final battle, when Noct and Ardyn first clash swords and knock each other into buildings, Noct goes from wearing his royal garb to wearing the black suit, and I'm not sure how. Continuity error?

Probably did it on the sly so it matches the pre-rendered cutscene soon after the fight. However I'm sure you can wear any outfit you like at that point anyway, but I bet 90% of people roll with the Kings suit.

ironmang

Well then he failed miserably, lol.

Naooope, gotta wait.

In post game camping will wake you up at 6 again and it does count as dawn.

So I wait there unil 4 and the fish doesn't spawn between then and 10. LOL

Fuck side quests. Just going to finish the narrative and trade this unfinished shit in.

Neiteio

Probably did it on the sly so it matches the pre-rendered cutscene soon after the fight. However I'm sure you can wear any outfit you like at that point anyway, but I bet 90% of people roll with the Kings suit.
Ah, that's a good point. Pretty smart. I didn't even notice until replaying the final battle for the billionth time. So good!

Haunted

no waiting feature in the game. Only thing you can do is fight some random beasts to farm AP while you wait.

ramyeon

Noctis is the best. <3

The outfit actually falls apart all through that chapter. The cape gets ripped etc and at that point it all falls apart except the suit underneath.

Well whatever change they made they fucking nailed him.

#Noctis4BestFFprotagonist

Ray Chase also did an incredible job with Edgar in WoFF. It was really funny seeing him play two very different princes in two very different FF games in the space of a year. I was a bit concerned about Noctis in English at first, but he really stole the show in Chapter 9 onwards. Definitely one of my favorite FF leads.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So I wait there unil 4 and the fish doesn't spawn between then and 10. LOL

Fuck side quests. Just going to finish the narrative and trade this unfinished shit in.

Wait what?

The 2nd fishing sidequest yea? The one that you need to fish at dawn?

I got that fish *immediately* after I camped on the camp nearby.

ironmang

Wait what?

The 2nd fishing sidequest yea? The one that you need to fish at dawn?

I got that fish *immediately* after I camped on the camp nearby.

It was I third one I think at the vesperpool. Camping woke me up at 9 and 4 times I ran to the spot by the shop and it didn't spawn. Stayed until dawn at that spot and it didn't spawn. Then went to the spot where the quest was given out, waited until dawn, and it didn't spawn. Wasted like 2 hours because they couldn't be bothered to put a wait or sleep until x feature in.

In the credits right after the logos for the Tie-up brands (Coleman, Nissin, etc) they show a Sony Interactive Entertainment logo complete with the golden rhombus. That I saw on PS4. Does anyone know what appears on Xbox one? The Microsoft logo? Still Sony's logo? Nothing?

Jennipeg

The only scene I remembered that destroyed me at probably a higher level emotionally was when I was playing FFVII at the very first time, when Sephiroth stabbed Aeris. I was destroyed when that happened.

Too bad such a fantastic scene that really tug at your heartstring like that in FFXV is truly an exception, not the rule.

Reading reactions like this makes me feel dead inside lol. I think maybe I was just over it at this point and just wanted it to end. I'm sad that I didn't get the feels, getting overly emotional about fictional characters is one of my favourite hobbies.

I was in shock about Aeris, I didn't know things like that could happen in games at the time.

cripterion

Long ass rant. Be warned

I hated everything after Altissia.

I wanted to have more adventure with the bros.

None of the emotional impacts every hit for me at all. Lunas death barely even phased me, because I was always confused at to what role Luna played and how exactly Noctis and Lunas relationship even played out since even in Kingsglaive it was shown that he spent like a couple of weeks healing with her and all of a sudden OUR DESTINIES ARE ENTWINED bullshit that happens offscreen or something.

She died, and then he turned into a super saiyan, and then the entire story turned to shit.

Gladio at least kept it real to try and salvage how shit everything got.

But then you just literally take a roller coaster ride through the rest of the game by passing what seem like some really interesting and amazing looking locales only for them to be just background dressings for plot purposes.

Prompto gets thrown off a train by noctis during a confusing cutscene only to be told what really happened by text in a loading screen...

At some point Shiva was killed by the empire....wait..what how? and when? and for what reason?

only not really because shiva is really Gentiana the whole time....so what....okay whatever.

Ardyn was the bad guy all along! OH NO but he was such a ....really shady asshole all along so...surprise?

We get to the Imperial capital....very easily (of course it's easy, because IT'S A TRAP) and it's empty as fuck. And just like the rest of the previous chapters you just gloss over the GIGANTIC IMMENSE city and the fucking STAR DESTROYER that's hovering above because...fuck it, that's not important or interesting at all. And then we are thrown into a dungeon that is the most boring and mind numbing shit I've played in any game ever with no weapons and forced to trot like a little girl.

At that point I didnt care what happened I just wanted the game to stop wasting my time. Oh and Revus is dead...sort of and he died fighting a bunch of random jobber MTs because thats...fucking stupid. So lets finish the rest of the dungeon

but no, the dungeon lasts forever, and you see nothing but endless corriodors and probably the lamest of all of the enviroments in the game.

Oh and the Imperials they were nothing, they were literally just toys for Ardyns schemes, because the 100 year war that spanned entire continents that was conquered by the Imperials were just raw material for making Demons.

And oh no, prompto has been tortured and imprisioned this entire time and all I've got to say is "imsorry" with absolutely no emotion whatsoever

Oh and Prompto is an MT...what is an MT exactly if prompto is one? Oh...the game never really explained that except maybe they're demons, or soulless machines or both or maybe clones...or....I dont really care?

Prompto shows his bros what he really is and then they all bro hug and say some cheesy afternoon special crap and can this chapter just end already? oh and there is a machine that can shut off the royal magic....conveniently.

After Noctis got absorbed into the stone I just gave up at that point. I just wanted the game to end.

And then Ten years later, The plot from the new 2016 ghostbusters happened to the entire world and the only one who can stop it is Neo...I mean Keanu Reeves....I mean noctis.

fast forward through some exposition and we finally get to the end, and you have to kill Ardyn two times, because the first time wasnt enough and then you get happy every after with Luna and Noctis in the afterlife staring at photo of a cup of noodles.

The ending with Luna made me hate the ending even more than I could have it just ended with them just outright dying.

Seeing the empty clothes of the diner girl in Galdin Quay after the apocolypse was more emotionally impacting than seeing Luna marrying Noctis in the afterlife.

I enjoyed the game immensely, and even platinumed it...but man...fuck that ending.

This post sums up pretty much how I feel about this mess of a game. It's basically fuck this whole story for me.

Reading reactions like this makes me feel dead inside lol. I think maybe I was just over it at this point and just wanted it to end. I'm sad that I didn't get the feels, getting overly emotional about fictional characters is one of my favourite hobbies.

I was in shock about Aeris, I didn't know things like that could happen in games at the time.
It goes to show just how good the ending was because in spite of the multiple story shortcomings, plot holes, and a severely underdeveloped walking plot device who we never got the chance to get to know (Luna) I still got teary eyed and super emotional because what's there was satisfying and effective.

Better told stories in other games have fumbled in the ending and yet FFXV manages to tell me one of the most movingly tragic endings that a videogame has ever taken me on in spite of its storytelling failures. Because that campfire scene and that last cutscene that reveals the logo got me. And it got me good.

Costlemark. That room with the three Red Giants and the Nagani. What. How soul-crushing. I actually stumbled into that room TWICE because I took a wrong turn, and everything respawned. I just waited in a corner until Ramuh showed up and killed them all. I mean, geez.

Top Bottom