• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI |OT| Ifrit Bleeds We Can Kill It

Are you playing in Quality or Performance mode?

• Quality

Votes: 274 59.8%
  • Performance

Votes: 184 40.2%

• Total voters

Valt7786

Fairly sure from what I've played so far my only negative with this is gonna be not being able to switch party members in combat.
Other than that, Yoshi-p saves the franchise yet again.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Amazing OT mortal mortal , great job.

I played for a few hours last night up to the point where I got the Garuda powers. Game looks and runs great. I've weened off of all of the "easy mode" accessories, except the auto-potion one - mostly because I haven't found any good stat boosting accessory to replace it yet. Really digging this game's vibe.

Hugare

Metro gave it a 3/5 (6/10)

Every review with a low score have something in common. Funny.

DIaACXp.jpg

Like clockwork

PS: I've played the game for 2h after the Demo, and I can already say that "Clive's incredibly slow realisation that maybe it might be a bad idea" is just bullshit

Last edited:

saintjules

Got the game early yesterday afternoon, but didn't start playing until late last night.

Shame about the unstable framerate in performance mode outside of battles as that seems to be OK (only in 3 hours or so). So for now I'm sticking to 30fps.

Just got to the forest (forgot the name) before I had to get to work Feels good overall so far combat wise. I think I'm trying to figure out and justify which moves to use on which opponent(s). It seems whatever I end up doing for now will kill enemies regardless of any situation. Nothing wrong with that, but I would eventually want to move on from just mindless button mashing (whenever I do it habitually).

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
47 people still going with performance mode despite being advised against it due to terrible picture quality and poor performance.
Great OT as always 👍

I ran through the swamp area last night and flipped back and forth and quality mode still feels way worse to me. You lose so much detail with the motion blur in quality mode when the camera moves around fast, I hate it. I don't really notice the drop in res that much from the distance I sit from the TV either, at least not as much as I can notice the poor motion performance.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I ran through the swamp area last night and flipped back and forth and quality mode still feels way worse to me. You lose so much detail with the motion blur in quality mode when the camera moves around fast, I hate it. I don't really notice the drop in res that much from the distance I sit from the TV either, at least not as much as I can notice the poor motion performance.
Any detail gain you get from motion blur being disabled is lost in the lower resolution.
But I respect that's how you want to play it.

Freeman76

So, is basically:
People playing the game: “This F/-)/**n game is so good
People not having a PS5: “Crappy console game doing 30fps and 720p”

Right??

I got my copy today with the Steelbook, this will be my first day one FF and my first FF.
Wrong

Although in 2023 you cant dislike something without everyone assuming you have some sort of 'anti-platform' agenda.

Some people dont like the idea of an action based FF game. Wtf is wrong with that? Much of the game is destroy enemies in a small/medium size location, watch some cutscenes, then do it again. For some people that's fine, for others they play FF for the RPG elements, managing your party, tinkering with gear, exploring the world etc etc so its understandable some gamers wont warm to this one.

FF13 was slated because it had no over world until chapter 15 (amongst other things) and the 'on rails' approach to a FF was almost universally hated, and yet suddenly with FF16 everyone loves it.

The thing is, the combat is brilliant and the world looks incredible, so if you like action games this is a wet dream.

LordCBH

I think Amazon is going to fuck up my delivery. It’s been at the facility in my town since Tuesday and it still isn’t out for delivery even though it says it will deliver today.

Kvally

Banned
Come on, I want to hear the deets! Game has been live for like 9 hours. I am at work and my copy is ready and loaded at home. I want to hear anything! Talk to me!

Can I delete the demo safely without it removing my save now?

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Let’s just say this game’s presentation is E P I C. Probably the most epic FF out there now.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Once again past the demo introduction and a little forward. The game's presentation is nothing short of amazing, probably the most FF thing I've seen in a while. All the trademarks are there plus so much more, especially coming from a FFXIV farm. You can easily see all the traits here down to the interface and game progression. If you dreamt of a single player FFXIV that's it, this is exactly it. And it's a super good thing because no one else right now understands better the strengths of this franchise than CBUIII. It's really an immersive experience with wonderfully written characters, strong mature presentation and visuals, an engaging battle system and that genius of Soken piecing all of it together. This will be a long wild ride!

Minsc

Gold Member
Any detail gain you get from motion blur being disabled is lost in the lower resolution.
But I respect that's how you want to play it.

Maybe fine detail yes - like textures and such - but large things like the branches on the trees, they just look like a mess at 30fps to me in motion, like the trees in the swamp, the branches just blur everywhere at 30fps, and you have them extending way outside the area of the tree, so it just looks confusing. At 60fps they still mostly retain their correct position and shape in motion. Maybe you can't see all the tiny twigs anymore at the lower resolution, but you weren't seeing them anyway in motion because of all the blur at 30fps either.

It's definitely a use-case too I believe, some TVs are way worse than other for 30fps content.

PanzerCute

Damn I can't focus at work, I feel like an 8 year old!

Just had an important client meeting in presence of my MD. Went well, but he told me after the meeting "you seem to be worried or to have something on your mind, is it okay?"

I felt like a moron and had to say "nothing serious, no worries"

The actual thing in my mind:

EhWqckb.gif

EnkviRu.jpg

IFRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Zheph

Damn I can't focus at work, I feel like an 8 year old!

Just had an important client meeting in presence of my MD. Went well, but he told me after the meeting "you seem to be worried or to have something on your mind, is it okay?"

I felt like a moron and had to say "nothing serious, no worries"

The actual thing in my mind:

EhWqckb.gif

EnkviRu.jpg

IFRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT
Lmao my man I had the same experience 30 minutes ago I got told I looked nervous smh

how can i not be f*cking nervous??? lets fucking gooo

Krathoon

FedEx says my Deluxe Edition is on it's way. It says it was in Tennessee at 8pm last night. I am in Missouri.

I suspect it is already in Missouri now.

Reactions: Isa

ebevan91

“Great news, Sub_Level! Your Walmart package is out for delivery and should arrive today.”

Oh My God Omg GIF by The Office
Mine is too, from Walmart. It’s supposed to be delivered between 10am-2pm and it’s almost 11am now. I get off work at 1pm so hopefully it’ll arrive around then.

Played the demo previously and managed to cram in about 4 hours last night. Out of town for the next week and a half so felt like I needed to get some good time in.

Dang. Game is epic. Game kicked into high gear and didn’t let up for like an hour and a half. Blown away.

Hugare

Pretty shocked quality mode is winning the poll. I have a LG C2 and still can't deal with the motion blur. Performance feels soooo much smoother.
Resolution drops to 720p during battles in performance mode

Its way too low, imo. Specially with FSR 1 making everything an even blurrier mess.

Once again past the demo introduction and a little forward. The game's presentation is nothing short of amazing, probably the most FF thing I've seen in a while. All the trademarks are there plus so much more, especially coming from a FFXIV farm. You can easily see all the traits here down to the interface and game progression. If you dreamt of a single player FFXIV that's it, this is exactly it. And it's a super good thing because no one else right now understands better the strengths of this franchise than CBUIII. It's really an immersive experience with wonderfully written characters, strong mature presentation and visuals, an engaging battle system and that genius of Soken piecing all of it together. This will be a long wild ride!
I 100% disagree. CBU3 is Matsuno stans and the MMO team. CBU1 is with Kitase and is basically the team responsible for VII/VIII/X/XIII/VIIR. That team, to me, understands what FF is. It’s comments like this that piss me off. You can praise the game without being like “CBU3 is the ONLY TEAM THAT UNDERSTANDS FF 😍” while talking about how it’s like an MMO that relies heavily on nostalgia in the same post.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Dustin from Sacred Symbols put it best. Every part of this game just screams "money". The production values are otherworldly.

Krathoon

That is the funny part about Square Enix. They are crazy rich. They acted like they had trouble making money with FF15, but they make these elaborate worlds with FF14, FF7R, and FF16.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
That is the funny part about Square Enix. They are crazy rich. They acted like they had trouble making money with FF15, but they make these elaborate worlds with FF14, FF7R, and FF16.
People love an underdog.

Speaking of FFXIV, I still need to play 6.4. Maybe I'll start tonight or tomorrow

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I 100% disagree. CBU3 is Matsuno stans and the MMO team. CBU1 is with Kitase and is basically the team responsible for VII/VIII/X/XIII/VIIR. That team, to me, understands what FF is. It’s comments like this that piss me off. You can praise the game without being like “CBU3 is the ONLY TEAM THAT UNDERSTANDS FF 😍” while talking about how it’s like an MMO that relies heavily on nostalgia in the same post.

I love CBU1 games too (I’m a fucking FFXIII royal knight remember?) but they’re literally stuck in early 2000s with their writing and can’t seem to get past that. Their audience is way older for that shit now and they can’t seem to be able to adapt to current times yet. They did put some efforts in most of FF7R but really didn’t last long. I think CBU3 reads the current audience better is all and in that, they have a better grasp of what it takes to deliver a good complete FF package.

Last edited:

Fabieter

It's not like some of the best final fantasy are pre vii. What is final fantasy about?

Did you play ff xiv?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
47 people still going with performance mode despite being advised against it due to terrible picture quality and poor performance.
Great OT as always 👍
Nah. Performance feels much better in combat, and outside scenarios when the camera is still, Performance has better motion clarity. The motion blur in this game is provably offensive and glitchy. Clive's model in particular has severe ghosting with any substantial camera movement. That's why despite the frame drops, so many people are still playing in Performance.

Example...
Graphics:
FF-Motion-Compare1-Zoom.jpg

Performance:
FF-Motion-Compare1-Zoom2.jpg

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The only good game on that list is VII. VIII is fun because it's utterly broken, so it's fun to exploit. The actual story is pretty terrible. X is bad, XIII is REALLY bad. And VIIR has moments of brilliance but isn't great.

Top Bottom