• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI |OT| Ifrit Bleeds We Can Kill It

Are you playing in Quality or Performance mode?

• Quality

Votes: 274 59.8%
  • Performance

Votes: 184 40.2%

• Total voters

Draugoth

Gold Member
iAmuSdt.jpg

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
Resolution drops to 720p during battles in performance mode

Its way too low, imo. Specially with FSR 1 making everything an even blurrier mess.
Yeah you know what, my bad. I made up my mind way too soon. Another 90 min of playing and im starting to realize even when just exploring the frame drops in Performance are horrible. Shame theres no chance I could hold off for more patches to fix these things, but as of now I think I am gonna roll w Quality for the next few hours and see how it is.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yeah you know what, my bad. I made up my mind way too soon. Another 90 min of playing and im starting to realize even when just exploring the frame drops in Performance are horrible. Shame theres no chance I could hold off for more patches to fix these things, but as of now I think I am gonna roll w Quality for the next few hours and see how it is.

Im planning to do Quality for first playthrough then Performance for NG+ & the Bloody Palace-esque mode.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I tried Quality again after all the tech reviews but went asap back to performance… I don’t know somehow 30fps with me makes it look everything even more fuzzy and dirt than sub HD. Can’t take it when I have a choice.

Last edited:

Katatonic

47 people still going with performance mode despite being advised against it due to terrible picture quality and poor performance.
Great OT as always 👍
I had mentioned in another thread that after playing the demo in both modes, that quality was the way to go, but nah Performance mode still looks better to me.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
To answer the poll, I’ll be playing in Quslity mode like most games

My copy should arrive either tomorrow or Saturday. GameFly games can take 1-3 days for me.

Reactions: Isa

Minsc

Gold Member
I tried Quality again after all the tech reviews but went asap back to performance… I don’t know somehow 30fps with me makes it look everything even more fuzzy and dirt than sub HD. Can’t take it when I have a choice.

Did you try playing around with the motion smoothing settings on your TV? I feel like the answer probably lies in there, turning them on to max, I've seen some posts about TVs being able to run TotK to a smooth looking 60fps feel, maybe the same is needed for this game too. I definitely find the detail to be better in performance myself on my TV, at least during the interactive sections where you're moving around a lot.

• Triggered
Reactions: TGO

Dynasty8

Did you try playing around with the motion smoothing settings on your TV? I feel like the answer probably lies in there, turning them on to max, I've seen some posts about TVs being able to run TotK to a smooth looking 60fps feel, maybe the same is needed for this game too. I definitely find the detail to be better in performance myself on my TV, at least during the interactive sections where you're moving around a lot.

I might have to toggle with some of my TV settings as well. My VRR is currently off...reason being it makes this annoying static sound anytime it's on while a console (both PS5 and Series X) are on. I've tried to get rid of the noise, nothing seems to work.... But will turning on VRR really make a big difference?

What other TV settings should we look into as well?

Wpx

Neo Member
Quick question, is Benedikta the same women from the beginning that favored Joshua and didn’t like Clive? Is that his mom or step mom or something? Feel like I missed something.

vpance

It's very playable with motion smoothing on, if your TV doesn't add much lag. Definitely the way to go over quality mode on its own.

• Triggered
Reactions: TGO

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
Quick question, is Benedikta the same women from the beginning that favored Joshua and didn’t like Clive? Is that his mom or step mom or something? Feel like I missed something.
That is not Benedikta. The woman is Clive and Joshua's true mother. It has yet to be explained (from what ive played so far, about 5 hours in for me) why she is such an over the top bitch. Though there are a few theories out there.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
Yeah. Clive's mom does not like him because he was not chosen by an Eikon. She is a real jackass of a mother.

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
Yeah. Clive's mom does not like him because he was not chosen by an Eikon. She is a real jackass of a mother.
And also seemingly ambivalent to Joshua's death. She doesn't seem to be grieving in the least bit in that last scene of the prologue, raises some questions.

No spoiler stuff. I have played a lot of games this year, this is by far the best game I have played. The story is ridiculously good. I just got to the part where you finish
Martha's questline the nuance in the story telling is so good.
AuDmog0.jpg
mNgodo9.jpg
AKHFX7l.jpg

These are all in game, I'm trying to not use photomode. When you don't see the UI it is due to where you are in the game it pops up as you move further into the area.

Last edited:

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
No spoiler stuff. I have played a lot of games this year, this is by far the best game I have played. The story is ridiculously good. I just got to the part where you finish [/SPOLIER] Martha's questline
the nuance in the story telling is so good.
AuDmog0.jpg
mNgodo9.jpg
AKHFX7l.jpg

These are all in game, I'm trying to not use photomode. When you don't see the UI it is due to where you are in the game it pops up as you move further into the area.
Your spoiler text is broken just a heads up.

EDIT: Seems fixed now

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Why are people playing on quality?
It seems to come down to whether a person is more sensitive to frame rate drops or intense motion blur. It's kind of a pick your poison situation. A patch with better frame rate in Performance mode, and a slider and/or a toggle for motion blur in Graphics mode would be the bee's knees.
---
On a different note, the music in the Hideout/former Fallen base is amazing. So folksy. Wouldn't be out of place in a Witcher game.

Minsc

Gold Member
I might have to toggle with some of my TV settings as well. My VRR is currently off...reason being it makes this annoying static sound anytime it's on while a console (both PS5 and Series X) are on. I've tried to get rid of the noise, nothing seems to work.... But will turning on VRR really make a big difference?

What other TV settings should we look into as well?

VRR will have no effect on stuff below 48fps, so for quality mode that is 30fps it does nothing. I don't really care to turn on all the image smoothing myself because it applies it to the entire input, so then I'd need to turn it off anytime I play a different game.

Exentryk

Put in about 5-6 hours. The game does go down a few gears after the demo. The Hideaway hub area is pretty small, with not much happening there. The side quests have been really bad. The scenarios The overworld map to select your locations seems like a bad idea to me. They should have at least gone the FF12 route with zones so the world feels connected. Right now it doesn't feel cohesive at all. The performance has also been rough on frame rate mode. The RPG mechanics are very very light.

Other than that, the game moves at very high pace and the story just keeps going. The character graphics are really good and feels like CG at times. The cutscene and voice work is great. The combat is also fun enough, but it's getting to a stage where I need some more Eikons as it is getting stale. It's worth mentioning that the enemies are designed very well and they all telegraph their attacks properly.

So yeah, story and combat are good, but the rest could be better. Still, I'm enjoying it a fair bit.

Minsc

Gold Member
Put in about 5-6 hours. The game does go down a few gears after the demo. The Hideaway hub area is pretty small, with not much happening there. The side quests have been really bad. The scenarios The overworld map to select your locations seems like a bad idea to me. They should have at least gone the FF12 route with zones so the world feels connected. Right now it doesn't feel cohesive at all. The performance has also been rough on frame rate mode. The RPG mechanics are very very light.

Other than that, the game moves at very high pace and the story just keeps going. The character graphics are really good and feels like CG at times. The cutscene and voice work is great. The combat is also fun enough, but it's getting to a stage where I need some more Eikons as it is getting stale. It's worth mentioning that the enemies are designed very well and they all telegraph their attacks properly.

So yeah, story and combat are good, but the rest could be better. Still, I'm enjoying it a fair bit.

From what I read it picks right back up after the lull and goes even crazier. Overall it's supposed to be the most over the top cinematic (I guess maybe there's a better way to describe) game released from them. But yeah, the big action moments from the demo come back full force and keeps up more or less to the end afaik.

They took the Dragon Age or Balder's Gate approach to zones I see. You have to select them on the map.

Square has quite a lot games that do the same thing - like Final Fantasy Tactics for example.

The combat is not clicking with me. The game feels way too similar to XIV, that's both good and bad. It's good because I really liked my time with XIV. It's bad because I've already played XIV and this feel like way too much of XIV is being forced into a main entry Final Fantasy. The story is good so far, the graphics are nice. It's just everything else feel stale and very mmo like minus the rpg elements, Items and upgrades. I just got my first real upgrade after 6-7 hours of playing and I just don't feel any excitement to use it. I'll keep playing, I just hope the game opens up soon and the combat gets better with more abilities.

Sleepwalker

It just dawned on me that I can play on performance mode when remote playing to my steam deck and not miss out on stuff and then go back to quality on my 65 inch qd oled.

Talk about superior creative choice, thanks square!

Last edited:

SCB3

Time to jump in, cannot wait, do I miss anything from continuing from the Demo?

Also, I dunno why must be the Souls player in me but I keep presseing Circle to dodge

Last edited:

Flabagast

Yeah it is a very straightforward experience, almost barebones in a way (at its core it really feels like a PS2 game) but that’s what makes it so good in comparison to all the overbloated copy pasted open world games.

+ it must have the most epic battles of the history of gaming

Last edited:

dDoc

So, whoever has played a bit already...is the combat really super easy? Is there an option to start on a harder difficulty right off the bat?

Played around 8,9 hours non stop.
Game is amazing. I can say this is my GOTY despite some nitpicks. And I'm not even fan of FF series.
The story,music,visual are top notch.
Gameplay is good and have a lots of depth with Eikon system but the basic skill/attack is limit.

Last edited:

10v12

I am ~7.5 hours in (from the very beginning of the game), and
holy shit Garuda vs Ifrit was sic. Fantastic fight choreography, and fuck burning her alive was brutal

But the BEST thing I am finding out in the game is that ALL enemies/bosses have VERY clearly telegraphed attacks (at least so far). This is one of the things that annoys me most in some other games.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Got in 1.5 hours. Some solid build up. I'm not buying these games day 1 all the time but it feels good so far. Controls were a little awkward but some adjustment (control settings) helped. Great presentation and the initial build is good (to me).

mortal

Gold Member
Time to jump in, cannot wait, do I miss anything from continuing from the Demo?

Also, I dunno why must be the Souls player in me but I keep presseing Circle to dodge
Type B layout actually allows for dodging with the circle button instead.
Although it takes some time acclimating to if you've been playing in Type A for some time.

oalJsIm.jpg

Like some, ever since the demo dropped I've been experimenting with all 3.
Would recommend anyone to try them all out to see which is more suitable to your play style.
Especially as you continue to gain moves and Eikonic feats.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Even on a quote small screen unquote like a 32'' 4K monitor, the Quality mode is vastly superior. Performance's near constant slowdowns are much worse than a locked 30.

• Thoughtful
Top Bottom