• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI |OT| Ifrit Bleeds We Can Kill It

Are you playing in Quality or Performance mode?

• Quality

Votes: 274 59.8%
  • Performance

Votes: 184 40.2%

• Total voters

PanzerCute

Work is over, game is installing, hype is through the roof.

Video Games Clap GIF by Call of Duty League
Out of topic but man that gif made me laugh so much hahahaha

Enjoy!

Aenima

Any option to toogle between targets? Or you gotta unlock and then lock to another one?
Pressing R3 circle between locked targets, but when thers alot of enemies i find it easier to just not use the lock on and phoenix shift in the direction of the target i want to attack using the left thumbstick in the direction where the enemy is, then i just use the target lock on the boss

This is the first japanese game I play with english dub, and I didn't even notice it. Really well done.
Loved that the game doesn't have high pitch anime girl. Dialogue is good too, it doesn't feel cringe like other JRPG.

Last edited:

SCB3

This is the first japanese game I play with english dub, and I didn't even notice it. Really well done.
Loved that the game doesn't have high pitch anime girl. Dialogue is good too, it doesn't cringe like other JRPG.
To be fair FF games are generally more Westernised than most JRPG's so it kinda fits in tone

Playing on Graphics mode (30 fps) and really loving the game's frantic combat and the more mature characters, writing and quality voice-acting which all help make me more invested in both the story and what happens to the characters. The game's linear structure and small areas navigated via a map actually remind me a lot of Dragon Age Origins on PC.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Have reviews said how long it is? I haven’t read s single one. Fuck, I can’t remember the last time I’ve read a review.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Have reviews said how long it is? I haven’t read s single one. Fuck, I can’t remember the last time I’ve read a review.
Between 30-40 hours seems like a normal play through. Several people reporting here and the review thread on GAF saying 35. I imagine more if you're looking to do all the side quests and max everything out.

Reactions: Isa

Flabagast

Playing on Graphics mode (30 fps) and really loving the game's frantic combat and the more mature characters, writing and quality voice-acting which all help make me more invested in both the story and what happens to the characters. The game's linear structure and small areas navigated via a map actually remind me a lot of Dragon Age Origins on PC.
I absolutely love the map. Clearly GOT inspired but it’s perfectly executed, and drop dead gorgeous, one of the best world maps ever.

It does make the world feel kinda small though lol, when you walk only 100m on a forest from point A to B and then realise it is represented by a massive distance on the map lmao

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
that seems low for a FF game, no?
Nah. Here's HowLongToBeat's average "main game only" playtime for the previous mainline games (minus 11 and 14 which are faaaar longer because they're MMOs)

1 - 16.5
2 - 23.5
3 - 17.5
4 - 22
5 - 32
6 - 35
7 - 36.5
8 - 40
9 - 39
10 - 46
12 - 40.5
13 - 48
15 - 28

35-40 hours puts this one in the sweet spot where 6, 7, 8, and 9 all are (ie, the best ones).

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Little Mac

Heard yesterday that the game can overheat launch ps5s that haven't been cleaned. Came across this YouTube video that may help my blue GAF bros.

Last edited:

Bkdk

One of the thing I found very weird about this game is that many of the best female designs are not main chars. Since the game other than some combat moves and certain boss fights are so much closer to Western RPG style, why not let the player to choose their romantic partners like other western RPGs anyway, it would likely make the non boss fight moments a lot better than what they have.

Nah. Here's HowLongToBeat's average "main game only" playtime for the previous mainline games (minus 11 and 14 which are faaaar longer because they're MMOs)

1 - 16.5
2 - 23.5
3 - 17.5
4 - 22
5 - 32
6 - 35
7 - 36.5
8 - 40
9 - 39
10 - 46
12 - 40.5
13 - 48
15 - 28

35-40 hours puts this one in the sweet spot where 6, 7, 8, and 9 all are (ie, the best ones).
Yeah, IMO these are very generous figures for just "main game only". These games can be long if you mess around and get off focus often, but if just following the main beat these games are not insanely long or anything. I just beat II, III, V, VII and VIII in the past months and those numbers don't reflect my playtime at all (those numbers are a lot higher, especially for V, VII, and VIII). Their number for FF III is the closest to my actual playtime for main game completion. I'd expect this to be a 20-30 hour game at best for just main game, probably more like 30-40 if you meander and get caught up in some shinies on the way. Who knows for completion though.

slade

I've played up to the end of the second demo part so far. Aside from the diversity stuff, I feel reviews were too generous. This is not a 9/10 game. IMO, more like an 8 at best. I never thought I would say this but I kind of prefer VII Remake's combat over XVI's.

On the plus side, the music is really good. That track that plays when you're in Cid's hideout seemed like it was straight out of a 90's fantasy series like Lodoss.

jshackles

Yeah, IMO these are very generous figures for just "main game only". These games can be long if you mess around and get off focus often, but if just following the main beat these games are not insanely long or anything. I just beat II, III, V, VII and VIII in the past months and those numbers don't reflect my playtime at all (those numbers are a lot higher, especially for V, VII, and VIII). Their number for FF III is the closest to my actual playtime for main game completion. I'd expect this to be a 20-30 hour game at best for just main game, probably more like 30-40 if you meander and get caught up in some shinies on the way. Who knows for completion though.
Another thing to keep in mind is that apparently this game has about 11 hours of non-interactive cutscenes. So - that's obviously going to pad out the playtime as well unless you skip them all.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
How does remote play work on phones? I think I may try and do this while upstairs or at work. I want to try and keep on it. It's got me thinking about it which means I have a lot of interest.

630 and Walmart is still "preparing". Starting to be convinced it's going to be a tomorrow thing... But wish they would say so that I don't hold out any more hope. Sigh. Last day before my wife gets back was hoping to really dive in tonight and early morning tomorrow! 😭 Ah well so be it.

Nankatsu

Game is super crisp and snappy. Like I said in the demo thread, performance mode all the way.

I can see some drops here and there but overall is butter smooth for me. And looks really good.

Combat is fucking awesome. When you go precision evade and parry, it really steps up a notch.

And the fight right after where the demo ended...

Happy The Office GIF

Last edited:
I replayed the intro portion (the demo basically) and another 4 hours or so and I really am having a great time. It's too early to say if it's going to be my favourite FF but I can clearly see that, for my tastes at least, it's the first GREAT single player FF that we have got since XII...and that was more than 15 years ago?

Performance mode is a mess though, I don't see how Yoshida thought we initially wouldn't need a day-1 patch...unless he never promised 60fps in the first place. Only other complaint I can have so far is that it's true that the RPG elements aren't really that big a deal this time around.

All in all, the story is great so far, music is awesome, voice acting is great, world is gorgeous and everything just feels right.

You know it's a great day when a new Final Fantasy comes out and it becomes an "event" like it used to before. Yoshi-P and Kitase have both managed to bring back Final Fantasy into greatness once again with 16 and 7 Remake project.

We eating good!

Love it so far - my only issue is when you talk to side characters the lip syncing/graphics there are a pretty a jarring step down from the rest of the game. Like the lip syncing is worse than a bethesda game in those moments. Other than that just doing the main quest largely, has been very fun/compelling

Luipadre

Played 4 hours, its awesome. Quality mode is great, looks and runs well and the HDR is just god tier. I think this might be the best looking HDR title out there. Also im digging the sidequests, yes its mmo fetch quest but i love the VA and the world building around them. English VA in general is superb

Little Mac

Can someone comment on the combat. Is it fun? Easy to learn?

I'm really interested in the graphics and story of the game but the DMC type combat looks overwhelming to me.

Hugare

I was thinking here: maybe those who are facing overheating problems are playing in Performance Mode

Everyone that play games on PC knows that when framerate is unlocked, it uses more from the GPU/CPU.

Maybe with the game caped at 30 it keeps the PS5 cooler

Just a thought

Sphere Hunter encountered overheating problems, and I'm 100% sure she is a 60 fps over 30 person

Lokaum D+

I'm really interested in the graphics and story of the game but the DMC type combat looks overwhelming to me.
REALLY GOOD, its resemble me more a God of War combat then DMC, really easy to get into

Last edited:

Teslerum

It is.

Since you aquire abilities throughout it actually has a nice learning curve and allows you to gradually learn moves and combine them.

Madflavor

Yes to both. It is really fucking good. Square has one of the best action games in their library right now.

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
This game is fucking insane. The quality of everything here is just off the charts. I came into it kind of expecting the story to be just serviceable but it is much better than I was expecting.

Game is a true next gen showpiece with its graphics. There are moments that I will just sit back and just take in the environment. Not only is it just visually stunning, the sound design is also incredible.

Ok enough gushing, back to playing.

Fedex still has not delivered my game. It says they are still delivering it.

I played through the rest of the demo.

Edit: Ah. The pricks changed it to Friday.
I'm right there with you.. Walmart has yet to update me. Still says today.. but I bet they will change it tomorrow around 9-10. Seems like it's a delivery from the store and not postal. I've had this happen once before. Mannn this sucks.

This game is fucking insane. The quality of everything here is just off the charts. I came into it kind of expecting the story to be just serviceable but it is much better than I was expecting.

Game is a true next gen showpiece with its graphics. There are moments that I will just sit back and just take in the environment. Not only is it just visually stunning, the sound design is also incredible.

Ok enough gushing, back to playing.
give it time

Nankatsu

I was thinking here: maybe those who are facing overheating problems are playing in Performance Mode

Everyone that play games on PC knows that when framerate is unlocked, it uses more from the GPU/CPU.

Maybe with the game caped at 30 it keeps the PS5 cooler

Just a thought

Sphere Hunter encountered overheating problems, and I'm 100% sure she is a 60 fps over 30 person

So far no issues at all on performance mode. But I'm still early in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom