• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV's soundtrack is probably the best mainline soundtrack ever

Final Fantasy music post-Uematsu hasn't really been that memorable for me. I can't say about the online ones because I haven't played them but after FFX, everything has just been some sort of orchestral blob coalescing together. Not one stood out to me, unlike past FFs which have Terra's Theme, Celes' Theme, Theme of Love, Aerith's Theme, Fragments of Memories, Over the Hills, etc.

So no, hardly the best.

FStubbs

Final Fantasy 6 and 7 in terms of soundtracks were the peak for the series IMO. I'm back and forth on which is better.

It's really good for sure. But out of all the FF games I've played (all of which took place in the last 6 years), I'd say the ranking for me is VII > XIII/XIII-2/LR>XIV>VIII>XV>X>IX

MrDenny

FFXV had some great songs, but they're also quite a few weak tracks imo.
I still think VIII has the best soundtrack, followed by X and VII.

Socivol

XV is by far my favorite. Apocalypsis Noctis is probably my favorite song in the whole series. The problem I had with it was so many of these songs are under utilized.

I agree. It's quite easily my favourite soundtrack of the series and probably for all videogames in general.

Funnily enough, both Nier Automata and Persona 5 are both right up there too. It's been a good period for great soundtracks.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Up For the Challenge is fantastic.

The rest.... not really the best overall soundtrack. Not in this series with so many sublime soundtracks.

I had a mad love affair with alll three XIII soundtracks, especially XIII-2. I'd consider that the best FF soundtrack if you put a gun to my head.

But TBH I'd still choose VIII above XV.

wtd2009

I do enjoy a good handful of FFXV tracks on their own, some of them are among my favorite in the series. however, i find ffxiii to be among the most consistently memorable and melodic of the series,and that's why I like it the most.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
XV has a looooot of really good tracks I dig. Not sure if its the best but the ost earns its place among a lot of the other greats.

Agreed OP. In terms of the amount of songs I listen to and enjoy, XV has most beat. Other soundtracks are fantastic though, but there will be only a handful I will listen to outside of the game for the others.

Ravus Aeternia, Song of the Stars, Hellfire, Luna, Noctis, Somnus Ultima, Magna Insomnia, Wanderlust, Apocalypsis Noctis, Apocalypsis Aquarius, Veiled in Black, Bros on the Road II, Ardyn I & II, Invidicus, Labranthyne, Tenebrae, etc. So many great ones.

But if we include spin-offs I love Crisis Core the most. Ishimoto is the best!

Risev1

It's a great soundtrack but it suffers from two major problems:

1) It's usage in game leaves a lot to be desired. Many boss fights have the same track. There are only like 2 exploration themes, and even then they barely ever play. Also, The usage of the vocals version of Somnus was very poor.

2) The majority of the best tracks were ones we've heard years in advance. As such, by the time you've heard them in the game, they just can't leave the same impression anymore.

cordy

Banned
Very noticeable that's for sure, fit the vibe of Noctis and exactly what he represents. It stands out to me. I'd say it's biggest strength is consistency but at the same time some can say that's a weakness since every single track doesn't stand out. Just depends on where you sit with it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
"Hey guys can we all come to a consensus on the best Final Fantas-"

Everyone: "Nope!!"

Squire

Banned
Bland film score with a couple of decent, but ultimately completely forgettable orchestral pieces. I liked the theme for Cape Caem, but even that is like a clearance aisle version of a song by Falcom's in house composers.

It's terrible. A lot of it isn't even Shimomura, which makes perfect sense.

Nope. Considering the best songs on the FFXV tracklist are from Nier:Automata and FFX.

It's honestly a small justice that they put in a piece from Nier. Anyone that blows forty hours on Kurt Feaxbain and his posse deserves that game.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
The battle and world map themes in particular are up there—I find myself humming to them every once in a while. I believe most of that was Shimomura?

I wasn't too keen on a lot of the other songs. The later town, city and many of the location themes just felt like it was... there. At worst they became repetitive.

The game could've used its music a lot better too; it's very inconsistent and you get the impression that the OST is thin.

Overall I like it, but I definitely prefer the previous games' OST. I love Hamauzu and Uematsu's work.

jett

D-Member

HeelPower

Probably one of the very weakest in the FF series.

Apart from a few battle themes,there's really nothing here.

I don't expect much of the XV music will ever feature into Distant Worlds concerts.

Arguing over which ff has the best ost is like arguing which of your children is the best. The whole franchise has incredible music.

Squire

Banned
It's good but IX and X are definitely better. XIII may be too.

I'd say definitely. The music is easily the single best thing about XIII. The game was middling, but the OST was my personal favorite of last-gen.

XII is fantastic, too. The orchestrated versions they did for the remaster have all sounded phenomenal so far.

I only like a few songs to be honest. Variations of the theme while fighting Magitek troops, Hellfire, and Ravus Aeterna are my favorites. But I find myself skipping through the mundane songs in the OST like Altissia and the other "town" themes. Never was a big fan of Yoko Shimomura. Would like to see Takeharu Ishimoto as the main composer in the next FF.

Top Bottom