• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV's soundtrack is probably the best mainline soundtrack ever

Wazzy

Banned
It's an okay soundtrack but it fails to evoke any memories of the game while previous OST's have fantastic placement. I know that's more of the games fault since the soundtrack on its own is a lot better but one of my favourite parts about previous soundtracks was associating themes with locations and events. VIII is one of my favourite OST's and I can easily remember big events that happen with every piece that plays such as Liberi Fatali being the grand opening, The Landing being the big upcoming and dangerous mission, Balamb Garden being a gorgeous floating military school, etc.

I will say the summon theme was good shit.

mieumieu

Would like to see Takeharu Ishimoto as the main composer in the next FF.

My mind would implode if this talentless hack writes for main FF. I would tell everyone I know to boycott the game.
He doesn't know what good melodies is AND he doesn't know what constitutes 'arrangement'. He's just plain bad.

Thoraxes

Hamauzu da gawd

He was a better pick for Final Fantasy than Shimomura. I wonder who will end up composing FFXVI, or the FFVII remake for that matter.

Anyone's guess at this point. Since he still seems to be working plenty with SE with remastering/arranging/orchestration/composing, i'd love to see him come back for another mainline title.

If he could channel his early works from the 90's, I could see him being the successor to Sugiyama on DQ after he passes, but I don't know if he'd want to force himself to write in that style given the freedom he has now. He certainly has the chops to emulate that stuff effortlessly.

Go_Ly_Dow

Good, but also a disappointing soundtrack.

A few standout tracks that I don't relisten to much as the game didn't resonate me.

My mind would implode if this talentless hack writes for main FF. I would tell everyone I know to boycott the game.
He doesn't know what good melodies is AND he doesn't know what constitutes 'arrangement'. He's just plain bad.

Haha OK. I absolutely loved his Type Zero OST and his originally composed Dissidia music. Didn't know some disliked him so.

Riposte

That would be XIII-2, or XIV (so I hear). I haven't played XIV.

XIV has several soundtracks, I think it's disingenuous to treat it as one. It would be like saying XIII, XIII-2, and LR have one soundtrack. Though I guess you could throw in a bunch of sub-series together and compare them.

I also adore XIII-2's. I'm a big fanboy of Mizuta's work, ever since FFXI and maybe even before that without knowing it.

jb1234

Please, tell us how you really feel. :p

(I don't like Ishimoto either. He's passable in rock genres but his orchestral music comes across as very amateurish.)

Thoraxes

XIV has several soundtracks, I think it's disingenuous to treat it as one. It would be like saying XIII, XIII-2, and LR have one soundtrack. Though I guess you could throw in a bunch of sub-series together and compare them.

I also adore XIII-2's. I'm a big fanboy of Mizuta's work, ever since FFXI and maybe even before that without knowing it.

Almost thought that link was gonna be a Rockman & Forte link, lol

fvng

[QUOTE="D";235180948]Say what you will about the game but the soundtrack is out of this world. Even the pieces that are situational like when you are approaching an enemy or the ominous tune that plays when you are in range of a powerful hunt just fits the task at hand PERFECTLY....and lets not forget the "yall mothafuckas gonna get it NOW" pre-summon track and the following "smited into oblivion" track that plays afterwards. Man SE came through with the witchcraft cause this fuckin' soundtrack is beyond dope

Lowkey a post-your-favorite-tracks-from-the-game thread

Favorite tracks (gonna list a FEW cause its too damn many)

APOCALYPSIS NOCTIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giI1sYmGOBk

Encroaching Fear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtSitDTwtIg&list=PLc_RJ2laVnkAdkzdK2w-BdiuPDIw5eyIZ&index=6

Stand Your Ground
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9t9aPriDts&list=PLc_RJ2laVnkAdkzdK2w-BdiuPDIw5eyIZ&index=7

Veiled in Black (Arrangement)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJoQ0KkHNCE&index=47&list=PLc_RJ2laVnkAdkzdK2w-BdiuPDIw5eyIZ

Imperial Infiltration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-D31ji_ob4&list=PLc_RJ2laVnkAdkzdK2w-BdiuPDIw5eyIZ&index=46

L2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXofC1VsxCA&list=PLc_RJ2laVnkAdkzdK2w-BdiuPDIw5eyIZ&index=42

Day's End Fanfare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SifY1N_b4Jk&list=PLc_RJ2laVnkAdkzdK2w-BdiuPDIw5eyIZ&index=9

Daemons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YevPwt7e_PE&index=24&list=PLc_RJ2laVnkAdkzdK2w-BdiuPDIw5eyIZ[/QUOTE]

Soundtrack is hype as fuck

tiva

Neo Member
i couldn't disagree more. i thought the soundtrack was completely forgettable, especially compared to previous ff soundtracks

Hedgey

A good soundtrack should be memorable outside of the game, stick with you. I can't even remember the battle theme after playing it on launch.
Listening to it on YouTube, I could probably place most of the tracks alongside a fantasy action movie, and they'd probably work fine. Nothing ever stuck out to me.

Final Fantasy VII, Jenova.
One Winged Angel.

You could name tracks by their name and for most players, the sound would instantly flow back into your head.
FFXV lacks any strong melody, and falls flat in my books.

I think most of the soundtracks in Final Fantasy are better overall, but Hellfire is right up there with Dancing Mad and One-Winged Angel for me. I'd be surprised if Hellfire didn't make it into the next Distant Worlds.

I'm also a big fan of Up For The Challenge, Revus Aeterna, and Magna Insomnia.

Arkeband

Banned
I found the vocals really weak in songs like Apocalypsis Noctis, and it doesn't help that some of the other ones were ones we already heard like ten years ago.

After playing Nier Automata, I realized how poor the OST for FFXV was.

Yoko Shimamura composed a better soundtrack for Radiant Historia.

It has some bombastic standouts coupled with ones we have known and heard for years prior to release, but I walked away from the game thinking that the soundtrack as a whole really did not stick with me. I can probably blame the poor utilisation of themes when the vast majority of the time was either quiet, on the radio/MP3, playing the same few (decent, but repetitive after so many hours) battle tracks, that basic Americana outpost theme and whatever the heck Lestallum is supposed to be. I actually enjoyed just AFKing at Cape Caem because that was a track that worked to truly immerse me into the environment. Florence's entries have been surprising stand-outs though, and in terms of vocal numbers, I actually prefer them to Somnus.

It doesn't help also that 2016 for Final Fantasy music to me was so dominated by FFXIV Heavensward's growing soundtrack. Soken, who you'd think is due to run out of steam soon despite winning that Guinness World Record for the most original tracks for a single game, remained consistent throughout with sheer variety, from everything in Alexander to all three stages of the Nidhogg fight.

PrismStar

It's a good soundtrack. But it's one of my least favorite mainline OATs really. I think I like it more than FFXII and that's it. I haven't played I, II or V though, so the ranking might change in the future.

It has some oustanding tracks, but overall I found it lacking.

I think FFVIII has the best one, XI and XIV too, but those are MMO's so is kinda unfair.

I found the vocals really weak in songs like Apocalypsis Noctis, and it doesn't help that some of the other ones were ones we already heard like ten years ago.

After playing Nier Automata, I realized how poor the OST for FFXV was.

Yoko Shimamura composed a better soundtrack for Radiant Historia.

Listened to the Nier Automata OST earlier today for the first time. Even though I haven't played the game before I gotta say it's one of most moving things I've heard in a while. Incredible OST that now has me ready to buy it asap to see what is accompanying these songs. As a fan of Nier 1 I'm surprised I have waited so long.

Yeah, it felt more cohesive than XV's OST. I'd play a FF scored by these composers in a heartbeat.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Listened to the Nier Automata OST earlier today for the first time. Even though I haven't played the game before I gotta say it's one of most moving things I've heard in a while. Incredible OST that now has me ready to buy it asap to see what is accompanying these songs. As a fan of Nier 1 I'm surprised I have waited so long.

Yeah, it felt more cohesive than XV's OST. I'd play a FF scored by these composers in a heartbeat.
It's the best Square Enix game in years.

Thabass

Not while Final Fantasy XIV exists. FFXIV's soundtrack is the best and it's not even remotely close.

That said, I love FFXV's soundtrack. But not going to beat XIV. Sorry.

silva1991

Bland film score with a couple of decent, but ultimately completely forgettable orchestral pieces. I liked the theme for Cape Caem, but even that is like a clearance aisle version of a song by Falcom's in house composers.

It's terrible. A lot of it isn't even Shimomura, which makes perfect sense.

Wait is this true? which ones ere hers? aside from the ones since the versus days.

dlauv

I liked the Skyrim rip off, a battle theme and a dungeon theme, but I don't think it compares to IX, VII, IV, XI, or XIV.

FFXV just kind of sounds like there's a layer of overproduction to it and the melodies are kind of "too predictable"? They just go where the ear expects too often, and when mixed with the smooth production, it becomes kind of -- I won't say forgettable, because it's not; but, the impression isn't as dramatic as others can be. I'm sure I sound clueless, because I am.

XV's OST is incredible, but I was a little annoyed at how they executed it in-game. So many tracks I feel like never get heard for long enough at all.

BotW has the same issue.

Geg

Please, tell us how you really feel. :p

(I don't like Ishimoto either. He's passable in rock genres but his orchestral music comes across as very amateurish.)

Man, We Have Arrived alone is better than all of Hamauzu's FFXIII ost

Lothar

Banned
The only FFXV song that makes sense to include among the best in the series is Somnus and you don't have that one?

BasilZero

I have to say I agree - its practically one of my most favorite OSTs in gaming if not the most favorite :p.

I'm a huge fan of FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX. FFXII and FFXIII's OSTs but XV's OST is just amazing.

I still listen to it almost everyday.

mieumieu

Not really. The song doesn't flow at all. It is stale. The orchestration is boring, with no dynamics, no harmonic variety. Having an orchestra and choir doesn't make a song good.

Compare it to Nox Aeterna (E3 2013 version) in FFXV and you immediately notice the difference. Or The Ragnarok in FFXIII where there are much more development of the basic idea.

jb1234

I listened to it and can't remember a single note. There's nothing that differentiates it from any number of choral/orchestral pieces that make a lot of noise but have little character or individuality.

That said, your hyperbole did get a belly laugh out of me which I desperately needed today so thanks for that.

Even i gotta admit it's not very memorable outside a few tracks plus that were lifted from Versus, Yet, the stuff from Versus sounds tiers better than the actual game soundtrack. I even found XIII's soundtrack to be better while i was driving the car. Anyways, X is the best.

rucury

Banned
I wonder how many here have given a listen to some part of the 14 soundtrack (there are more than 1)... Its quite amazing!

B.O.O.M

Haven't played the game but heard the OST. It's amazing. One of the best for sure. I also feel like Crisis Core OST is underrated. FFX and FFXII OSTs were also good.

Geg

Not really. The song doesn't flow at all. It is stale. The orchestration is boring, with no dynamics, no harmonic variety.
I disagree with all those things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I listened to it and can't remember a single note. There's nothing that differentiates it from any number of choral/orchestral pieces that make a lot of noise but have little character or individuality.

That said, your hyperbole did get a belly laugh out of me which I desperately needed today so thanks for that.

Nah, no hyperbole.

I was meaning to make a thread similar to this. SPOILERS AHOY.

FFXV has the best soundtrack of all the games I've played, except Witcher 3. It's certainly the best FF soundtrack. I know nostalgia geeks will kill me but I think FFXV just has an incredibly well thought out music. They really did a special job with using the soundtrack to drive the game. The first time you hear the Careening into Danger, you realize it's something special. I dont know, the music has a purpose to it. Stand Your Ground is the best Final Fantasy battle theme by far too. Nothing comes close (not even Laguna's Man with the Machine Gun or FFXIII Battle Theme!). The piano motif is just a delight to hear.

Until the final Homecoming chapter, the game felt a mash of ideas and setpieces strung together by an overall vision that worked really well in some places and not quite in others. However when Noctis returns to Insomnia and Somnus starts to play, I had tears welled up. Like, I didn't even knew I was this emotionally vested in the story! Last time I shed a tear in a videogame was MGS4 (I guess?).The 4 bros' journey finally coming to an end and I realized that I wont be with these guys much longer. Noct is finally ready to assume his rightful throne and he's wearing his dad's raiment and the ring of luci. Shit felt real, and Somnus just drove the mood completely. You know as well from conversing with Bahamut that Noct has to sacrifice his life to save the world, which made it all the more sad. The entire game came together at that point and you realize the responsibility that each of the 4 characters had became clear, at least to me. They were all willing to give up lives. Until Homecoming, FFXV was a 7 for me. It became 9 after I finished the game. If there were 2 or 3 more chapters in the vein of Homecoming, FFXV would have been a 10 for me. No contest.

There was a bit of discussion regarding the cover of Stand by Me. I thought it was incredibly well done and completely fit the game and the message it was conveying.

Overall FFXV is a flawed masterpiece. It's the best way to describe it. And the soundtrack is a huge part of what makes it a masterpiece. I really hope they make a XV-2.

There are a couple of stand outs for sure, but not even close for me. IV, VI, VII, VIII, X among others are all better. I do really love "Up for the Challenge" and the main battle theme though, but even those aren't better than songs in the same vein from the other entries.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It has the best battle themes since FFVIII, that's for sure.

Top Bottom