• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Revolution Name Announced: Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think it is a pretty dumb name but who cares? I'd buy it on day one if they named it the feces machine.

jarosh

wiiiiiiiiiii

laughdog3.gif

Taker666

I can't believe any english speaking part of Nintendo thought this was a good idea.

I'm going to play with my wee.

My wee is white.

Have you seen the wee on the television?

How much does wee cost?

:lol

xBigDanx

ugh...

I can just picture it now:

NOA: Guys, you really don't want to name it that.

Nintendo: Yes we do, Look at the way it looks, it expresses us perfectly.

NOA: No. You *really* don't want to name it that.

Nintendo: Do you think we listen to stupid American? You know nothing of English American! We know English! We know English so well that Brain Age does not recognize the English pronunciaton of blue! Now go back to America and be our bitch!"

NOA: Uggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Marconelly said:
It's probably pronounced Why - I, not Weeee (that would be beyond retarded)

Which gives anti-fans even more laughing ammo of course (I can see comments like: Nintendo, Whyyyy aren't we 3rd party already again!?)
:lol ...took long enough

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
These reactions remind me of when the revmote was first shown. however this is much funnier.

Oh, my, fucking, god. I cannot believe Nintendo is this fucking stupid. I thought they wanted to appeal to an oldier audience this time around? Do they seriously believe anyone over 10 is going to buy a console named Wii? Even ten year old boys might hesitate.

Beowvlf

Banned
I predict that over the next couple of years many people will jokingly call this console the Nintendo Wii Bother. It'll only get worse if it doesn't do that well.

Nintendo walked right into this one. The name is laughably poor IMO, and artficially limits the demographic appeal. Bad move on Nintendo's part.

lo zaffo

I love to be here in this very special moment: just got Nintendo Wii teaser directly requested from their Jap HS. Wow

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
:lol That's the stupidest name I've ever heard! No one can pronounce it and however they do try it, it still sounds stupid!

Wii....:lol God that's horrible. Probably good in non-English countries, but seriously Nintendo, wake up.

AdmiralViscen said:
We can't call it a Revmote now. It will now be a Wemote Contwol. Fucking Elmer Fudd.
:lol Weegle wand!

"Hey mom, can you buy me a Wii for Christmas?"

"Guys, wanna come in my house and play some Wii?"

"Check out my Wii!"

It doesn't sound natural.

Amir0x

Banned
This is just... wow. I mean, this has to be a moment of just awe. I think they personally worked with DrinkyCrow to get this title tapped out. How could it be any more perfect? Seriously. The joke possibilities are endless. Nintendo WII WII. Nintendo WII WAGGLE OUR WANDS. Nintendo WII DON'T SUPPORT TECHNOLOGY. This is probably both the worst and best names ever created. Boy I love pre-E3!

ghostmind

SuperPac said:
I like it. It's not the name of a game system. It's an iconic name like iPod. The more I think about it, the more I think this is the right choice.

(Although I would've loved it if they'd gone with Nintendo Entertainment System instead.)

iPod does not sound like you are going to wank off...

Drakken

Introducing ... Wii.
As in "we."
While the code name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer.
Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else.
Wii will put people more in touch with their games ... and each other. But you're
probably asking: What does the name mean?
Wii sounds like, "we," which emphasixes this console is for everyone.
Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what tlanguage they
speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.
Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the
image of people gathering to play.
And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video
games that sets it apart from the crowd.
So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you.
Because, it's really not about you or me.
It's about Wii.
And together, Wii will change everything.

Ponn

Banned
"Together Wii will break down the walls that seperate gamers from everyone else"

hmmm...hmmm...not with that name you're not.

Oh god why have you forsaken us Nintendo. You're were on the right track, everything looking peachy then...then...its the lunch box handle all over again. Except worse. I can't walk into EB now and ask to preorder a "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Mashing

I'm speechless.

The logo is nice (and the video) but that's about it. I'm going to continue calling it the Revolution. That's a nice name compared to this shit.

Wii or Wii do you forsake me Nintendo?

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
SuperPac said:
I like it. It's not the name of a game system. It's an iconic name like iPod. The more I think about it, the more I think this is the right choice.

(Although I would've loved it if they'd gone with Nintendo Entertainment System instead.)

It's starting to slowly grow on me, but come on... "Wii"?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I can't laugh goddammit I'm in the library :(..................

:lol :lol :lol :lol

IJoel

:lol

Well, it sure is original... and REVOLUTIONARY!

That said, let's not forget how ridiculous the 360 name sounded back then...

... but dammit... Wii? WTF...

DrEvil

not a medical professional
It's interesting, I'll give it that...

It's starting to grow on me too, I mean, I loved revolution.. saying "we" sounds stupid, but the actual spelling and look of the logo is kind of cool.

It'll make sense eventually, just like GameCube.

Speevy

Banned
This little Shiggy went to market. This little Shiggy stayed home. And this little Shiggy went wii, wii, wii. all the way to E3.

DCX

DCX
Wow...Wii, unique...worst name ever i must say...man who knows, hope people treat it as a serious form of entertainment and not a gimmick.

DCX

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I'm pretty sure this stands for

WIRELESS INTERACTIVE INTERFACE

But this name is really quite poor for the English speaking market - where it means "us" and "piss" - and the French market - where it sounds like "yes". This could have terrible marketing repercussions

what a fucking stupid name. who the hell does nintendo's marketing? don't the brilliant game designers at nintendo ever get angry for their marketing department making it impossible to convince people to ever play the great games they make?

Ponn01 said:
"Together Wii will break down the walls that seperate gamers from everyone else"

hmmm...hmmm...not with that name you're not.

Oh god why have you forsaken us Nintendo. You're were on the right track, everything looking peachy then...then...its the lunch box handle all over again. Except worse. I can't walk into EB now and ask to preorder a "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
Maybe you can be less ridiculous and ask for a "w-2-i" :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom