• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Thoughts: Okami

Status
Not open for further replies.

datruth29

Hey, is this going ot go down as a Classic thread? I really think it should go in a Psycology magazine. Perfect case of a mental breakdown.

Gigglepoo

I'm surprised their aren't more threads like this. All he did was describe the game and say "But that's boring!" over and over again. No game is unequivocally perfect.

"Tetris may have great graphics, but all you do is drop blocks. I don't lke dropping blocks. It could have worked so much better if there were tons of different shapes, but with only six different ones it gets old fast. The first time I had to wait for that long, skinny piece it was fun, but after that it was just lame. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not great. People will forget all about Tetris when Wetrix comes out."

datruth29

Gigglepoo said:
I'm surprised their aren't more threads like this. All he did was describe the game and say "But that's boring!" over and over again. No game is unequivocally perfect.

"Tetris may have great graphics, but all you do is drop blocks. I don't lke dropping blocks. It could have worked so much better if there were tons of different shapes, but with only six different ones it gets old fast. The first time I had to wait for that long, skinny piece it was fun, but after that it was just lame. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not great. People will forget all about Tetris when Wetrix comes out."
Actually, it sounded more like "THIS GAME SUXORS BIG TIME!! WHAHAHA!! ZELDA BETTER 4EVR YOU TOOLS!!!!! But it's still a decent game."

Actually, it was nothing like either of those things.

The first 3 pages of this topic are perfect. He just didn't react well to people's counterpoints.

I'm enjoying the game, but I can see the flaws he's highlighting. And I'm not the only one.

Tokubetsu

The lukewarm response to yakuza snapped something in his head. Okami's response tempted him to the dark side....this final thoughts thread was Anakin (Himuro) vs Amirox (Obi Wan)..It's sad it had to end tragically ='(

As bebpo said, I think FF12 and Twilight Princess will bring the apocalypse. THE END IS NEAR

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Tokubetsu said:
The lukewarm response to yakuza snapped something in his head. Okami's response tempted him to the dark side....this final thoughts thread was Anakin (Himuro) vs Amirox (Obi Wan)..It's sad it had to end tragically ='(

I believe this fits ironically well:

vgchaxdv9.jpg

MegaTen

Banned
datruth29 said:
Hey, is this going ot go down as a Classic thread? I really think it should go in a Psycology magazine. Perfect case of a mental breakdown.
:lol Over videogames of all things.

datruth29 said:
Himuro didn't a mental breakdown, this was a mental breakdown. The length that some people go to. :lol

There is so much random crap to do I can't see how this game can be boring. For instance I am trying to figure out why this old woman living in the mountains is chasing me with a knife trying to stab me.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
To me, Okami is Zelda for a special-needs child. Once you get past the aesthetics, it's just a watered-down clone with the worst of the DS-style control gimmicks slapped on top. This should've been so much better - the pieces are there, but this game needed a ton more design work on the content end. Oh, well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I really don't understand how having a painting mechanism makes it a "ds style gimmick."

It's an innovative way to solve the "menu system problem" that other games have. Is it just because you have to "draw" that it becomes a DS gimmick?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I really don't understand how having a painting mechanism makes it a "ds style gimmick."

It's an innovative way to solve the "menu system problem" that other games have. Is it just because you have to "draw" that it becomes a DS gimmick?
do you have to pause the game to draw?

Gigglepoo said:
All he did was describe the game and say "But that's boring!" over and over again. No game is unequivocally perfect.

The basis for most of Himuro's criticisms of games seems to stem from them being "boring", or having "archaic" gameplay e.g.:

Romancing SaGa

Himuro said:
Wow this game is boring.

Crawling in some boring dinosaur nests for like 2 hours zzz.

Wow this game is so flawed and boring.

Dynasty Warriors

Himuro said:
Wow, what a boring and highly repetitive game.

The whole game seems archaic and just plain boring.

Valkyrie Profile Silmeria

Himuro said:
And the fact that it sounds like a one trick pony doesn't help matters. One trick ponies. Yawn.

Looks like a disappointment total. Non conventional rpg -> traditional rpg

zzz

To me it seems more like a petty excuse to try and rationalize his philistine game design sensibilities against games with (somewhat) nuanced and niche gameplay systems.

My two cents.

Amir0x

Banned
Benadryl Hitman said:
There is so much random crap to do I can't see how this game can be boring. For instance I am trying to figure out why this old woman living in the mountains is chasing me with a knife trying to stab me.

I wouldn't call that part random :p

Y2Kev

Error2k4 said:
then how does that exactly solves "menu system problems"?

It's pausing only because there is no pragmatic way to do it otherwise. There simply aren't enough sticks on the PS2 control pad!

It does solve the juggling of items in the inventory problem, and it solves the having to assign an item to a button problem. These aren't huge issues, but I do like how Okami deals with them.

Say, for example, in Ocarina of Time, you have deku nuts, the boomerang, and deku sticks equipped. This is just hypothetical. You want bombs...you have to go to the inventory (which completely pulls you out of the game mechanically, unlike the brush), assign it to a button, and then use it. In Okami, you just draw it.

I like how the item management system is an integral part of the game mechanic.

Limedust

Drinky Crow said:
... Okami's dungeons are ace. As Capcom/Clover did with Minish Cap, the dungeons are more closely intertwined with the overworld, but they're there -- they're just less discrete and more atypical. They ****in' ROCK.

Okay, I'm a bit more compelled to play on, especially with the nod to Minish Cap. I forgot that Clover was responsible for that.

Something that tweaked me early was the possibility that the game was going to become a series of collect-athons (stray beads, mystery treasures, fed animals). I wasn't thinking so much Wind Waker as... Banjo Kazooie. *shudder*

Bebpo

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
mmmm, Bebpo and Shouta copied my initial sentiment of the FF12 thread. They are copycats.

What?

I didn't read the first few page or two of the thread because it was long by the time I found it, if you had a similar post there...sorry!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Y2Kevbug11 said:

I don't think it's a gimmick either... then again I don't regard the DS as a gimmick anymore either. But I disagree that it "solves" the menu system problem of the Zelda games because unlike the Zelda games you do have to pause the gameplay for every single attack. If anything, it slows down the action much more.

Y2Kev

jj984jj said:
I don't think it's a gimmick either... then again I don't regard the DS as a gimmick anymore either. But I disagree that it "solves" the menu system problem of the Zelda games because unlike the Zelda games you do have to pause the gameplay for every single attack. If anything, it slows down the action much more.

I don't think you have to use the brush for any attack. You can or you can not. On simple baddies, I usually do not.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I don't think you have to use the brush for any attack. You can or you can not. On simple baddies, I usually do not.
But then the battle takes longer to finish.

Red Scarlet

Bebpo said:
What?

I didn't read the first few page or two of the thread because it was long by the time I found it, if you had a similar post there...sorry!

:lol just being angry at you guys getting the credit.
Your tag got changed. :eek:

Sullen

MegaTen said:
I hate to use the term.. but he's what I'd call a "fake fan". Just someone that suddenly acts like they're into something to try and seem "cool" or whatever.

I've known him for quite some time, since before he began posting here, and he has basically always been this way. I'm alittle suprised he didnt go through his usual process of "Man, this game sucks." then 10 pages later going. "You know what? This game rocks!" in the Okami thread.

SantaC

Bebpo said:
FFXII will be the end of days for a great many I fear...

Maybe, but Zelda TP will end no one. Because criticizing a Nintendo game is not ban-worthy. Quite the opposite.

RegularMK

When playing the demo I was actually surprised at how little it actually let you play. What with all the text you're forced to read.

AniHawk

SantaC said:
Maybe, but Zelda TP will end no one. Because criticizing a Nintendo game is not ban-worthy. Quite the opposite.

I'm just worried that the majority of the shit will be between shitheads that buy the Wii version only and shitheads that buy the GC version only, and try to convince the other that their game is better, when everyone could be talking about how awesome the game actually is.

If there are legit complaints, then there are legit complaints. That's no problem. But I hope tries regulating that whole thing because it'll be one big ****ing mess.

agent069

Banned
Damn I haven't even started to play the game, and Himu comes and destroy the game :lol

WTF, heavy text, shallow drawing mechanics, easy combats, spoiled puzzle. It sounds really terrible, I hope Himu is exagerating things, I was so hyped for this game :(

Red Scarlet

AniHawk said:
I'm just worried that the majority of the shit will be between shitheads that buy the Wii version only and shitheads that buy the GC version only, and try to convince the other that their game is better, when everyone could be talking about how awesome the game actually is.

If there are legit complaints, then there are legit complaints. That's no problem. But I hope tries regulating that whole thing because it'll be one big ****ing mess.

I'll do my part (and not post in the thread at all). :)

SantaC

AniHawk said:

yup there will be a war betweem Wii and GC version. And in the middle of it, there will be Okami references and comparisons.

Wont end well I tell you.

Red Scarlet said:
I'll do my part (and not post in the thread at all)

I still haven't decided if I should participate or not when Zelda comes out. Hmm.

AniHawk

SantaC said:
yup there will be a war betweem Wii and GC version. And in the middle of it, there will be Okami references and comparisons.

Wont end well I tell you.

I think I'll probably stay off GAF for those three weeks, only returning to occasionally post my thoughts and impressions.

Otherwise I'll probably lose myself in a blind rage, leaving bodies in my wake so mutilated, they'll make Jak II look good.

SantaC

AniHawk said:
I think I'll probably stay off GAF for those three weeks, only returning to occasionally post my thoughts and impressions.

Otherwise I'll probably lose myself in a blind rage, leaving bodies in my wake so mutilated, they make Jak II look good.

:lol

Yeah. Maybe i'll do the same. Play Zelda for a week or so, and then come into gaf when most of the dust has settled.

SaitoH

Y2Kevbug11 said:

I don't understand the DS gimmick comment either.

Okami borrows Ukiyo-e (Japanese ink art) and Kiri-e (Paper cut art) for it's visual style and couples that with classic lore. Using your celestial brush just FITS the game conceptually. This isn't a tacked on mechanic, it's a core design decision and one that works quite well.

Agent069: Rent the game for a night and decide for yourself.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yeesh, chiming in super late, but while Okami does have some issues(too much talky, too much collecty, maybe too much drawing-y), what it does do well it does so in a manner befitting a classic.

Though I'm rubbing R1 brushstrokes far too often, I love trying to nail the secret patterns to earning demon fangs from enemies and doing so in as timely a manner to secure money rewards. It's a simple twist to swinging a sword that Zelda could really optimize and should. (Context rolling behind an enemy doesn't come close to what Okami delivers)

Buying hero upgrades through gameplay achievements is the one holdover from Zelda 2 Nintendo ought to have carried on. Leave it to a 3rd-party clone to finally deliver what I've been hoping returned for years.

Also, though not inherent to the Zelda design, opting to use the brush for all the tools instead of pause-menu shennanigans is a creative stroke. (Hey I just draw a hookshot!, or a bomb!) Frustrating to some, but I really dig on it.

Limedust

mugwhump said:
What, Clover? I thought it was Flagship?

Well, technically it was Flagship, but most of the main guys at Flagship who worked on the GBC and GBA Zeldas moved over to Clover to work on Okami like Haruhiro Tsujimoto, Tamio Oda, and Yoshifumi Yamashita.

Fady K

Hey guys, dont kill me for asking, but when someone is banned in GAF - there's no coming back?

No more himuro?

Amir0x

Banned
Fady K said:
Hey guys, dont kill me for asking, but when someone is banned in GAF - there's no coming back?

No more himuro?

why would you think we couldn't make temporary bans?

Nah, Himuro will be back.

Fady K

Amir0x said:
why would you think we couldn't make temporary bans?

Nah, Himuro will be back.

Oh, thanks for clarifying Amirox. How long does a ban last for anyway? Or does it vary from member to member?

In any case, I hope things dont ever heat up again like they did that day.

(I still wish he saw Okami's greatness the way many of us do)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom