• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Thoughts: Okami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Drinky Crow said:
And before you do the disingenuous thing and say "bubububububu Drinky you woulda bashed it for being on the Gamecube" remember who HATED the N64 but gave Ocarina of Time his highest score EVER, fags!

I remember you mentioning you liked the GC more than N64. Considering GC had a weaker first party catalogue, with a few notable third party games, I must inquire what tipped the scales in GC's favor for you? RE4?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Himuro, dude, you simply didn't want to like Okami. Admit it. You can defend shit like Shenmue and Yakuza -- apparently entirely because of theme -- but you'll produce ridiculously contradictory observations about a game that you somehow find threatening or because you want to score points against your fanboy nemeses. What the **** EVER, dode.

Dragona: Okami's dungeons are ace. As Capcom/Clover did with Minish Cap, the dungeons are more closely intertwined with the overworld, but they're there -- they're just less discrete and more atypical. They ****in' ROCK.

That said, I have a few complaints with Okami, as with all games:

1. Issun needs to shut his yap during those moments when pictures serve far better than text -- namely, boss introductions and quest closures. The intro WAS too damn long, but I feel ANY intro is too damn long in ANY game. Wind Waker's intro, shitty starting island and stealth dungeon 3 hours was almost intolerable, and far worse than Okami's pedantic intro plus tutorial hour-and-a-half. (There has never been a moment more effective in games of these type as was in Ocarina when Link enters a large chamber within the Deku Tree and sees that single alien eye peering out at him from the ceiling's mist before suddenly coalescing into MOTHER****ING GOHMA -- it was scary, it was perfectly executed, and it was BRIEF.)

2. Camera sucks, much like it does in the 3D Zeldas. I don't wanna see the main character's ass when I'm pressed up against a wall. You'd think SOMEONE woulda fixed it by now, but I won't expect a Japanese developer to do it. They haven't gotten a third-person action camera half as right as Insomniac or Naughty Dog have.

3. Saves take too damn long, and I'd like a few more points to save in the "overworld". I have a ****in' kid and need to stop on a moment's notice to shove in Mysteries of the Deep: Dolphins or Fantasia 2000.

4. What few mini-game sequences that do exist aren't stellar. The vines-to-logs sequence and the fishing were "eh". Neither were as stupidly aggravating as Wind Waker's lantern jumping (camera hijinks for the loss), "stealth dungeons", or sailing, though. I can't fathom the complaints about the wall guard weak point "games" -- I nailed 'em all on the first try. I rock.

Outside of that, I consider Okami largely unimpeachable and any complaints beyond those listed above nothing more than aggravated fanboy sophistry of the most disingenuous order. The game works spectacularly well as designed, and the brush system is brilliant re-imagining of the more traditional "tools" system found in the Zelda titles (and its third-rate clones). Best of all, it works perfectly within the context of the game and its art direction. I can't say I'm sorry that the Nintard brigade is threatened by it -- given that I've been saying that Capcom knows how to make traditional epic Nintendo titles better than Nintendo does these days -- but I also expected quite bit better criticism than this "wah wah I hate the brush" nonsense or worse, lameduck criticisms that are equally applicable to ANY 3D Zelda created. Gerrymandering over what consitutes a "fetch quest" or "exploration" is retarded -- if you want to the equivalent of Wind Wakers inane sailing, triforce quests, and the horrible baton motions, then...wait, there IS NO EQUIVALENT to that degree of terrible game design in Okami.

Well, I think that is decisive!

Unison

Oblivion said:
I remember you mentioning you liked the GC more than N64. Considering GC had a weaker first party catalogue, with a few notable third party games, I must inquire what tipped the scales in GC's favor for you?

GC games are certainly less of a blurry eyesore to look at.

My gaming life doesn't thrive on Nintendo or mascot content; to the contrary, most of my library consists of what fanboys might consider B-list games. The Gamecube had a lot more B-list (non-hyped, non-franchise, or niche quality) titles I enjoyed, such as PN03, Killer 7, Ikaruga, Viewtiful Joe 1/2 and several good multiplatform efforts of the sort the N64 never recieved.

I think I enjoyed all of maybe eight or nine N64 games: the two Zeldas, Ogre Battle 64, Paper Mario, Mario 64, Beetle Adventure Racing, Hexen 64 (shut up), Goldeneye and Mischief Makers. Of those, most were released in the first two years of its lifespan.

On the other hand, I've enjoyed a good 20 or so Cube titles. ****, with the release of Pokeyman's Mystery Leather Dungeon and Rocket Slime, I'm finally starting to warm up to the DS despite its hardware and library being vastly inferior to the PSP's.

Red Scarlet

That first post..that's the Himuro I know.
I liked it, sale +0.

Also, this thread is the forum's Spanish Civil War for the upcoming World War II (FF12 official US thread).

Bebpo

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
My gaming life doesn't thrive on Nintendo or mascot content; to the contrary, most of my library consists of what fanboys might consider B-list games. The Gamecube had a lot more B-list (non-hyped, non-franchise, or niche quality) titles I enjoyed, such as PN03, Killer 7, Ikaruga, and several good multiplatform efforts of the sort the N64 never recieved.

I think I enjoyed all of maybe eight or nine N64 games: the two Zeldas, Ogre Battle 64, Paper Mario, Mario 64, Beetle Adventure Racing, Hexen 64 (shut up), Goldeneye and Mischief Makers. Of those, most were released in the first two years of its lifespan.

On the other hand, I've enjoyed a good 20 or so Cube titles. ****, with the release of Pokeyman's Mystery Leather Dungeon and Rocket Slime, I'm finally starting to warm up to the DS despite its hardware and library being vastly inferior to the PSPs.

While I hate to forward this tangent, I gotta say Drinky is spot on here. I think I owned about 4 N64 games and rented/borrowed maybe another 4, whereas I probably found 20-30 GC games worth owning. The GC library was much more interesting and fleshed out compared to its N64 counterpart. Sure it wasn't as expansive as the PS2, but it was good enough.

MrDaravon

Amir0x said:
See, you cry when people actually debate your points. Then you try to attack the person, and when that doesn't work you want to leave.

So I say this: If you want to leave, ****ing leave. Don't be a bitch.

QFT.

I like Himuro, and haven't played Okami, and played WW for like an hour, so I feel I'm pretty impartial when I say that most of Himuro's first post seems pretty exaggerated/personal problems with the game. He's entitled to his opinion, but a lot of stuff there doesn't make sense or is just his personal take. Amirox and Drinky already did a pretty good job of pointing all that out.

datruth29

Amir0x said:
Also agree on Gamecube. Gamecube was way better than N64.
If it had a DVD Drive and didn't look like something your sister would carry on her keychain it probably would have sold better then the N64 as well. :(

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:
I never said I was leaving. I'm not crying over shit, I'm just sick of you and the fanboys in general.

Well it's nice that you're sick of some shit, but it's like they say: the real fanboys see shit on the wall where it don't exist.

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:
I think it's time to make a big ass post debunking Mr. Hyperbole I don't Play Games post.

Time to get into action. I didn't want to even talk to Amirox in this thread because it'd be redundant and similar to the Official Okami Thread of WEAKSAUCE but there is no use at this point.

If you make a post attacking a personal individual, fair warning, that is ban-worthy. If you can't keep it civil beyond your bitching, you shouldn't be here.

Bitch, you done got served. Feel that acrid, wet spray spattering over your sobbing features? That's Amaterasu -- you know, the star of THE BEST 3D ZELDA -- pissing in your fat dumb face because YOU AIN'T GOT GAME.

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:
Banworthy? :lol :lol A lot of the bullshit you pull is more than ban worth Mr. Mod. I think it's time to kick it up a notch. People complain about me when I'm "bitter" but I think it's for the best because otherwise, when I'm nice, I'm considered a bitch by the big Hyperbole King Mr. "Mod" AmiSux. :lol :lol

oh Himuro, what has happened to you man

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:
You, and gaf in general.

I honestly think you take things too seriously. I'm generally a serious guy, but over the past few weeks you've been completely ridiculous. If someone's 'hyperbole' - and note, not on my comments about Okami fall in this category since I actually feel this way about this amazing game - annoys you, just ignore it.

If GAF annoys you, why do you post here? I think you should take a step back.

You made a huge review, and I applaud you for at least explaining your points. But then in this thread you challenged people to address the issues you raised, and when multiple people do you say how you want to ignore them. That's the lame part, and I can't have respect for that sort of thing. That's silly.

Himuro said:
You're a ****ing idiot Konex II, no one cares what you think.

*slaps forehead*

You couldn't just stop :(

datruth29

Himuro
Banned
(Today, 10:11 PM)
Reply | Quote

Yeah, he had it coming with those last posts. He really went insane as the thread got longer. o_O

Himuro said:
You're a ****ing idiot Konex II, no one cares what you think.
Damn.

Alex

3.5/10

1984ms2.gif

MrDaravon

Amir0x said:
You made a huge review, and I applaud you for at least explaining your points. But then in this thread you challenged people to address the issues you raised, and when multiple people do you say how you want to ignore them. That's the lame part, and I can't have respect for that sort of thing. That's silly.(

EXACTLY. You can't post your own thought out opinions and completely disregard other people's valid thought out opinions and just start getting pissy and hurling insults.

Oh shit he got banned, nevermind :lol

mugwhump

Error2k4 said:
I love how Okami lovers cant come out with something to counter his points. except "there was no need for this thread!" heh.
You know, when you wrote this, the thread had only been alive for 18 minutes. :p

And Himuro, you didn't have to only highlight the criticisms. -_-

Kuroyume

Banned
This dude comes of like that Leguna guy in this thread with a long ridiculous review and all when there's already a thread.

datruth29 said:
Himuro
Banned
(Today, 10:11 PM)
Reply | Quote

Yeah, he had it coming with those last posts. He really went insane as the thread got longer. o_O

Geez, I didn't realize Okami is serious business.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Not this shit again.

Not only is it stupid, pointless, and not happening... it would be worse. Waggle is terminal.
what? You could waggle to shake off the hints on the screen! The innovation!

lachesis

Well, I'm with Himuro on this. I do think his criticism do have valid points to think over regarding this game, and it might not be the GOTY worthy material for some people, just like Yakuza wasn't really for everyone, albeit I loved the game very much like he did.

Sigh.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Alex said:
This is how super villians get started!

Wow.

See Ami? You aided in twisting Himuro into a deformed, bitter shadow of his former self. He went from making polite criticism to an enraged fanboy slaughterer. We may n ever see Himuro as he once was ever again.

And Drinky? Shameful. You instigated, and enjoyed it every step of the way.

I'm disappointed in both of you. Tsk.

MrDaravon

mr jones said:
Wow.

See Ami? You aided in twisting Himuro into a deformed, bitter shadow of his former self. He went from making polite criticism to an enraged fanboy slaughterer. We may n ever see Himuro as he once was ever again.

And Drinky? Shameful. You instigated, and enjoyed it every step of the way.

I'm disappointed in both of you. Tsk.

Typical Tuesday 'round here. Nothing to see, move along folks!

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
SailorDaravon said:
Typical Tuesday 'round here. Nothing to see, move along folks!

You joke, but imagine when he returns, wielding powers that can only come from the pit of a forsaken soul.

Be warned, Amir0x, even you can turn from the righteous path. And you hold far superior abilities. Use your powers wisely.

I think Himuro wanted to get banned at that point. :lol :lol

And RE4 is overrated. The controls frustrated me for a long while. Only after playing Mercenaries a shitload did I get proficient at the game. Plus the final boss sucked, except for the
rocket launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom