• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally: Freeloader for Wii

Aeris130

Ninja Kn1ght said:
They just got back to me about discs with firmware updates. Holy shit ! It's the real deal!!

Well, it doesn't say that it works regardless of firmware, just that you won't be able to update your Wii ever again (not a good thing btw) in fear of rendering your FL useless.

But it's still fapping time. Will WFC work?

batbeg

Codemasters said:
Dear Customer

Further to your email we can confirm that on every occasion that the product is used when the disc is inserted in the console that it allows the usage of any imported Wii game discs and disables the console from been able to update its firmware, if the disc is removed after been inserted and reinserted this will again enable the console to update its firmware but still allow the usage of the any imported Wii game discs.

Regards

Quoted for the new page of partying and joyous gifs.

batbeg

1214jms.gif

batbeg

Oh snap, they're on an e-mailing craze or something!

It is dispatching on the 4th of March for those of us who ordered from them :D :D :D :D :D

EDIT:

dc8t1u.gif

God bless GAF, source of all my GIFs.

Aeris130

Jamesfrom818 said:
So...is it time to buy a second Wii? One to keep on old firmware and another to update?

Would'nt it be a lot smarter to simply import a US/JP one (depending on where you live) instead?

megateto

I am having real problems trying to understand the Codejunkies note. How does it exactly work regarding firmware updates?

luffeN

Aeris130 said:
Well, it doesn't say that it works regardless of firmware, just that you won't be able to update your Wii ever again (not a good thing btw) in fear of rendering your FL useless.

But it's still fapping time. Will WFC work?

either i misread it or you. it says "if the disc is removed after been inserted and reinserted this will again enable the console to update its firmware"

Wizpig

Dachande said:
As soon as this is released and someone tries US NMH on a PAL console, I'm so there.
Same here.
As for Smash Bros, i'll buy it PAL.
I mean, you must be kidding, are you willing to switch that damn Freeloader ANY TIME you wanna play Brawl?
Not mentioning the laggy Online play.

Ninja Kn1ght said:
They just got back to me about discs with firmware updates. Holy shit ! It's the real deal!!
Codejunkies said:
Dear Customer

Further to your email we can confirm that on every occasion that the product is used when the disc is inserted in the console that it allows the usage of any imported Wii game discs and disables the console from been able to update its firmware, if the disc is removed after been inserted and reinserted this will again enable the console to update its firmware but still allow the usage of the any imported Wii game discs.

Regards

Lol, judging by the english used I'm guessing their customer support is outsourced to India or something :lol

But regardless that is great news :D .

Aeris130

banKai said:
either i misread it or you. it says "if the disc is removed after been inserted and reinserted this will again enable the console to update its firmware"

Yeah, but that would mean that the firmware once again threatens to potentially screw up your consoles ability to support Freeloader. Which is the reason why Freeloader disables it in the first place, right?

So it's either Freeloader, or an updated Wii (starting from whenever the first FL-blocking patch comes out). Preferably, I'd have both by downloading patches from Datel whenever Nintendo tries to block stuff like this (unintentionally of course)

[Nintex]

Aeris130 said:
Yeah, but that would mean that the firmware once again threatens to potentially screw up your consoles ability to support Freeloader. Which is the reason why Freeloader disables it in the first place, right?

So it's either Freeloader, or an updated Wii (starting from whenever the first FL-blocking patch comes out). Preferably, I'd have both by downloading patches from Datel whenever Nintendo tries to block stuff like this (unintentionally of course)
enable the console to update its firmware but still allow the usage of the any imported Wii game discs.

Even after possible updates you can still run the freeloader.

Aeris130 said:

What I asked about was the risk of US games trying to install US firmware on my PAL machine and the risk of that damaging the console or preventing the games from running. I'm relieved that that won't be a problem. I suppose it is possible that new Wii firmwares could block the freeloader but they seem to think the disc will be able to withstand that. Smash Bros!!

Wizpig

Aeris130 said:

That's no problem, i won't update my Wii for the time being, then, when i'm finished with US No More Heroes, i'll update it because i won't need the Freeloader anymore.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wow, fantastic news!

But some of you are bloody vicious crying out for NoE's downfall in such a volatile manner. D:

itxaka

Defeatist
wow, this must be an scam. They are actually not delaying it as usual and shipping it in less than the time announced? Incredible for a datel product.

Mine is already preordered. MLB power pros!!! Finally!

alex1893

codejunkies said:
yes!

crazy_kermit.gif

mclem

Wizpig said:
Same here.
As for Smash Bros, i'll buy it PAL.
I mean, you must be kidding, are you willing to switch that damn Freeloader ANY TIME you wanna play Brawl?
Not mentioning the laggy Online play.
If Nintendo are dumb, they'll make it so the US version prioritises other US versions for online play without taking into account that there's a whole lot of country between Rhode Island and Alaska. Not to mention the 'PAL' version prioritising other 'PAL' versions which could include Australia. If they're smart they'll treat each potential connection as unique without making any assumptions based on the specific SKU in use and just work out the best one based on latency to that specific one.

Of course, it's Nintendo, and online. So both options are quite possible.

Thomper

As soon as Play-Asia or VideoGamesPlus or actually any place not requiring me to use a creditcard has this in stock, I will order. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, here I come!

CTLance

Oh mah gawd. I go offline for a few days and this happens? PL_oh_hell_yes.gif x 10k

I want to apply lots of Vaseline and tender love to whoever at Datel did this.

Awesome. Took them a bit of time, and I doubt Nintendo will be overly happy about it, but I don't freaking care. I just hope this version stays functional for long enough... *glares at Nintendo*

Do want, doubly so for that price.

batbeg

CassSept said:
The second its confirmed that this works with SSBB im ordering this.
SSBB in march mwahahahahahahahaha /cackle

And it'll be sold out.

And we'll laugh at you, oh how we'll laugh.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Do codejunkies charge postage? Because I think my order just f'd up and went through with £0.00 shipping charge. :lol

1 EF000595 Wii FreeLoader

Unshipped £9.99

SubTotal: £9.99
Tax: £0.00
Shipping: £0.00
Handling: £0.00
Grand Total: £9.99

This was an order from last night, haven't heard anything from them thus far.

Chris R

This is actually pretty cool. I don't see why there should be any problem with this, its not like we don't have to buy the game to begin with.

shas'la

I wonder if NoE will be confused by the lower than expected sales of SSBB, bastards.

But wont that encourage them to ignore euroland in favour of the US, or work on closer releases between the two territories? hmmm

TreIII

shas'la said:
I wonder if NoE will be confused by the lower than expected sales of SSBB, bastards.

But wont that encourage them to ignore euroland in favour of the US, or work on closer releases between the two territories? hmmm

Let's be honest though. The number of people who might actually end up going the route of the Freeloader will probably be still such a relatively low number, I doubt it will have that much of an effect in changing policies or what-have you.

I mean, unless I hear Datel exclaiming about how they got like 500,000+ sales in the PAL territories alone, then maybe that might be a different story...

Dachande

Fuck it, bought the Freeloader from Codejunkies anyway.

I'm tempted to email Rising Star and apologise for not buying their version NMH, but telling them they could've kept mine and probably thousands of other sales by not being pussies and releasing the proper version.

Ramenman

Please people, don't go thinking this will have a real impact on sales.

Just consider that fact : Even some PAL gaffers (by what I mean "in the know" people and not your casual gamer) have a Nintendo DS (by what I mean a totally region free console right out of the box) and still wait the damn wait to buy their games at a higher price in PAL version.

My point obviously being : Some gamers in the minority of people who know about import and its benefits don't use import when it's officially supported by their system.

So don't go thinking we'll all see Smash Brawl flopping in Europe.

[Nintex]

Ramenman said:

Just consider that fact : Even some PAL gaffers (by what I mean "in the know" people and not your casual gamer) have a Nintendo DS (by what I mean a totally region free console right out of the box) and still wait the damn wait to buy their games at a higher price in PAL version.

My point obviously being : Some gamers in the minority of people who know about import and its benefits don't use import when it's officially supported by their system.

This'll have zero impact, if I don't buy a Smash Bros. copy at my local store someone else will.

TreIII

Ramenman said:

That's what I was saying. As funny as it would be to see, the Wii Freeloader is not going to really have an impact on the status quo, any more than its GC father, or the GBA and DS's "region-free-ness" has. The few sales that may be lost because of hardcores going the importing route pale in comparison to the vast majority who chooses to just wait ever patiently for the game to arrive legit.

That's also the reason why I can't imagine NoE or any branch of Nintendo really seeing Freeloader as a veritable "loose cannon" that should be focused on squashing at all costs. If such a case were otherwise, Ninty probably would have been on Datel's asses years ago, just as easily as they got on Galoob for the whole Game Genie thing.

Ordered both this and US No More Heroes... I guess I'll get to see soon enough what's up with that thing...
And if, I say IF, everything works out alright... well, dancing gifs for everyone !

Top Bottom