• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally: Freeloader for Wii

[Nintex]

shuri said:
so they havent tested it yet with Smash Bro, which was one of the few games worth importing so far, and one of the biggest wii title ever? Something is fishy

AVOID.
I don't think they had a Japanese version and the US one isn't out yet.

x3sphere

shuri said:
so they havent tested it yet with Smash Bro, which was one of the few games worth importing so far, and one of the biggest wii title ever? Something is fishy

AVOID.

Who says they didn't? I doubt they would release this knowing it does not work with SSBB. If you are skeptical better just wait until people actually test this thing out.

Ramenman

banKai said:
maxconsole wrote this because of play asia

Of course they did.

Damnit, codejunkies IS datel, the manufacturer, you'd think they know better about their stuff than some newsite.

http://uk.codejunkies.com/Products/Wii-FreeLoader__EF000595.aspx

Play ANY region of Wii or GameCube game on ANY Wii.

You don't get more official than that.

I don't mean to be mean, but seriously read that maxconsole story. "the images are likely not to be final". Wut. It's not like it's "in the works" or what and they put out a render for happiness. The thing is shipping tomorrow, it already exists. Why would they bother showing is a "non final image" if the real package is already done ?

Still, no offense meant, but this 3 versions thing is (for now at least) nonsense.

Anyway, ordered No More Heroes from dvdboxoffice. I'll also wait to see if the US Brawl works on PAL console before buying, as nothing is sure right now.

PseudoKirby said:
and why the hell cant they make a 360 one, why only damn nintendo Consoles?

Wii is a lot like Gamecube internally. Lols aside, apparently it's very similar in the way you access memory and...so forth. I remember reading some master hacker saying the differences between the two consoles were quite slim.

Bildi

PseudoKirby said:
and why the hell cant they make a 360 one, why only damn nintendo Consoles?
If you are speaking as a PAL gamer, Microsoft's PAL releases are frankly excellent in comparison to Nintendo's. I can't recall any XBox or 360 title I wanted where you had to wait nine months for a PAL release, or it never got released at all. Especially when it comes to the 'big' games.

Only generations of unrelenting and systematic abuse can create sufficient demand for a product like this to be successful.

Rlan

I'm only worried that Smash Bros might 'require' the update in order to go online. Has that been established if you can go online regardless?

TreIII

Rlan said:
I'm only worried that Smash Bros might 'require' the update in order to go online. Has that been established if you can go online regardless?

Supposedly, at least for the JP version, they were able to go online on both US and PAL Wiis. And I would think that if the update was utterly necessary, such a thing would have been impossible...

Bildi

TheGreatDave said:
Rock Band of course being the one, infuriating exception.
Bildi said:
I can't recall any XBox or 360 title I wanted where you had to wait nine months for a PAL release, or it never got released at all.
;)

But yeah, while there are some exceptions, we're treated very well by Microsoft in comparison to other regions. I find it especially ridiculous that Nintendo-published sometimes suffer the most gigantic delays.

rdellw

Guys, i'm pretty sure the Smash Bros update is needed for the game to even run, im wary about freeloader working with it, but you never know.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Rlan said:

I can play online on my copy of Smash, Friends only for now but that could be because no one else in AU is on at the same time as me.

Hopefully even being in Australia will allow me to get the Freeloader and test it quickly for everyone, I even bought NMH to test too.

kamikaze

A Link to the Snitch said:
Is there any incentive for an American gamer to get, besides "early releases"? Any good, import-friendly, not-coming-to-America games?

naruto gnt ex 2 and gundam: ms sensen 0079 are the two imports i've played the most on my japanese wii that aren't coming out here. i'd throw in pawapuro wii, too, but since mlb power pros came out here it's not a big deal.

other than that...it's been kinda thin so far for japanese wii exclusives. it was nice not waiting for no more heroes and brawl, though.

I'm definitely getting Naruto GNT EX2. I might order Gundam 0079 and Dekotora in the future. I might also get US Brawl, but I'm not sure.

I'll still get PAL NMH, but I'll get the US game once it goes on special on play-asia.

Pachael

VOOK said:
I can play online on my copy of Smash, Friends only for now but that could be because no one else in AU is on at the same time as me.

Hopefully even being in Australia will allow me to get the Freeloader and test it quickly for everyone, I even bought NMH to test too.

Is this confirmation that this works?

VOOK

Pachael said:
Is this confirmation that this works?

Hang on let me be clear, I have the JP version and I can play with other people with the JP version via Friend Codes. Thats all for now.

Pachael

VOOK said:
Hang on let me be clear, I have the JP version and I can play with other people with the JP version via Friend Codes. Thats all for now.

I see - I thought you (just) had a Pal Wii.

VOOK

Pachael said:
I see - I thought you (just) had a Pal Wii.

Hang on :/

I have a PAL Wii, running the JP Smash and I can play online with other JP Smashers.

A Link to the Snitch said:
Is there any incentive for an American gamer to get, besides "early releases"? Any good, import-friendly, not-coming-to-America games?
You could import the unfucked version of Naruto.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
So the Freeloader is now confirmed to work 100%, at least on offline games?

EDIT: Nvm, thought VOOK had the Freeloader already.

Teknoman

Metal Gear?! said:
You could import the unfucked version of Naruto.

Or DBZ BT3 with the authentic music soundtrack if you really like the japanese music from the DB-DBGT series as a whole.

Nocebo

VOOK said:
Hang on :/

I have a PAL Wii, running the JP Smash and I can play online with other JP Smashers.
What? PAL wii plays JP smash? Is this without modding? I could've been playing smash all this time? I'm gonna kick myself.

Burli

Pringo
I love all this paranoia that people have about the product. First it's "Does it work on all regions of wii's?" then it's "but will the updates break it?", then it's "does Smash Bros SPECIFICALLY work?".

Actually, no I don't, because I'm paranoid too.

Ordered the freeloader, Smash Bros. and No More Heroes, so if they didn't work, I'd be out of about £75.

However, I really think that datel are the real deal here, they wouldn't manufacture and produce a product without covering all the angles, and it looks to me like they've also got the customer service to back it up if their product is eventually blocked (sending new freeloaders free of charge etc). Plus, who's to say that Nintendo will even bother trying to block this product at all, if not for awhile?

Can't wait for someone to get smash bros and a freeloader so we can bloody rest easy..

P.S. Has anyone's Freeloader shipped from codejunkies yet? It's the 4th.

batbeg

I haven't had an e-mail confirmation of my order being shipped, but I fully expect it by the end of the day.

Nocebo said:
What? PAL wii plays JP smash? Is this without modding? I could've been playing smash all this time? I'm gonna kick myself.

No, he probably means on a modded Wii.

Mine still says In Process / Unpaid / Unshipped.

Is it the same for everyone else? Hopefully that'll change soon. Normally companies don't ship until after around 3pm.

kottila

Burli said:
I love all this paranoia that people have about the product. First it's "Does it work on all regions of wii's?" then it's "but will the updates break it?", then it's "does Smash Bros SPECIFICALLY work?".

Ordered the freeloader, Smash Bros. and No More Heroes, so if they didn't work, I'd be out of about £75.

However, I really think that datel are the real deal here, they wouldn't manufacture and produce a product without covering all the angles, and it looks to me like they've also got the customer service to back it up if their product is eventually blocked (sending new freeloaders free of charge etc). Plus, who's to say that Nintendo will even bother trying to block this product at all, if not for awhile?

Can't wait for someone to get smash bros and a freeloader so we can bloody rest easy..

Why didn't you just wait a week, until someone tried it?

Nocebo

batbeg said:
I haven't had an e-mail confirmation of my order being shipped, but I fully expect it by the end of the day.
Alrighty, thanks.

No status update on my order either (ordered from codejunkies website).

Aurelius

Order Number: xxxx
Order Time: 04/03/2008

Current Status: In Process
Payment Method: Credit Card
Promotional Code(s):
Special Instructions:

Qty: 1
SKU:
Product Name: Wii FreeLoader
Unit Price: £9.99
Shipping: £4.50
Handling: £0.00
Grand Total: £14.49
1 x No More Heroes NTSC - Wii (In stock usually ships within 24hrs) 0% 33.33EUR

Sub-Total: 33.33EUR
Tax (0%): 0.00EUR
Worldwide NL : 0.1 lb(s): 4.99EUR
Total: 38.33EUR

There will be blood. :)

CorwinB

Burli said:
and it looks to me like they've also got the customer service to back it up if their product is eventually blocked (sending new freeloaders free of charge etc). Plus, who's to say that Nintendo will even bother trying to block this product at all, if not for awhile?

Not that I don't trust them, but if the Freeloader works because of a security flaw in the Wii OS and Nintendo patches it, then they could very well be out of luck in developing a new one...

VOOK

batbeg said:

Bingo

luffeN

Ramenman said:
Of course they did.

Damnit, codejunkies IS datel, the manufacturer, you'd think they know better about their stuff than some newsite.

http://uk.codejunkies.com/Products/Wii-FreeLoader__EF000595.aspx

You don't get more official than that.

I don't mean to be mean, but seriously read that maxconsole story. "the images are likely not to be final". Wut. It's not like it's "in the works" or what and they put out a render for happiness. The thing is shipping tomorrow, it already exists. Why would they bother showing is a "non final image" if the real package is already done ?

Still, no offense meant, but this 3 versions thing is (for now at least) nonsense.

Anyway, ordered No More Heroes from dvdboxoffice. I'll also wait to see if the US Brawl works on PAL console before buying, as nothing is sure right now.

no offense taken :D its just that some of my friends believe them.. and posted it on another board.. ;)

Nocebo

God I can't wait to get my hands on this thing, I keep refreshing this thread / my email box for traces of updates :(

Xapati

Burli said:

Nintendo released an update that made the old version of Freeloader not work anymore. There's no doubt they'll do it again.

batbeg

broadwayrock said:
Freeloader is available at dvd.co.uk for £9.99 delivered (Non-UK Shipping Surcharge: £1 for those who want to import it)

They also list the release date as 14/03/2008.

It damn well better release on the 4th. They sent me this:

30j1h55.jpg

Xapati said:
Nintendo released an update that made the old version of Freeloader not work anymore. There's no doubt they'll do it again.

Which has already been brought up in the thread a few times. What supposedly happened was the update they put out was to stop piracy, and due to the way the old Freeloader worked it just happened to block that out too. Nintendo had no reason to fix what they accidentally broke, as they definitely don't give a shit about Freeloader.

Magique

batbeg said:
Which has already been brought up in the thread a few times. What supposedly happened was the update they put out was to stop piracy, and due to the way the old Freeloader worked it just happened to block that out too. Nintendo had no reason to fix what they accidentally broke, as they definitely don't give a shit about Freeloader.
This could also be a excuse Nintendo could have used; the only way to legally disable a freeloader with firmware updates for them is to ''accidentally'' block it out with one.

kottila

Magique said:
This could also be a excuse Nintendo could have used; the only way to legally disable a freeloader with firmware updates for them is to ''accidentally'' block it out with one.

Are you saying that it would be illegal for Nintendo to block the Freeloader?

Banned
VOOK said:
I've put your name next on the list, but I have to weigh up which one comes first to work out the shipping etc.

cool, thanks. How much is it before shipping?

D.Lo

Magique said:
Except it was true - it's Datel's own fault, as the Action replay allowed GameCube piracy via the GCN SD memory card adapter. Nintendo blocked a piracy enabling device which unfortunately used the same technology as the Freeloader to boot.

Dascu

Hmm, though I ordered it on Sunday, it still says "In Process/Unpaid/Unshipped". Now, it's the "Unpaid" part I'm wondering about. Did I do something wrong, or is it just taking some time before the transaction registers?

Top Bottom