• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINALLY! You can change your Xbox LIVE country

I'm in France. If I transform my GT into an US one, will I be able to use flixster/lastfm/whatever? Won't it be IP filtered?

Reminds me of a week ago when we had some EA sales. The XBLA version of NBA Jam is available everywhere but in France. Changing my region, would I be able to get it? If in three months I revert to a French account, I guess the game wouldn't be playable anymore? But if I'm offline?

I am so lost with those locks and restrictions.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
They actually had this feature but removed this in late 2011, the reasons they cited were that it was too much work and sometimes it just didn't work. They reimplemented this facility in September 2012 (I think...) and I think I was one of the very first people who have had their region changed (had it changed to UK), the only way to change it that time was to have it changed over the phone by calling their customer care.

Also, you will lose ALL the content that was associated with your account previously meaning you won't be able to redownload anything unless it was downloaded using the same console, I lost all of them.

You're wrong! The bolded is not true with the new system you retain your entire purchase history and can re-download everything as normal. With the sole exception being items that do not have a licensing/distribution deal in the region you migrated to.

You can re-download things via Xbox.com even, https://live.xbox.com/en-GB/Download/History

SourSamo

Just did this, I think I'm gonna shed a tear!
Been waiting 6 years for this to be implemented, worked in 5 clicks.
All purchases, points and remaining Live time has been brought over!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just did this, I think I'm gonna shed a tear!
Been waiting 6 years for this to be implemented, worked in 5 clicks.
All purchases, points and remaining Live time has been brought over!

It really did almost bring a tear in my eye, after so many years you pretty much give up hope of it ever happening. I'm especially blown away with how easy and fast it was.

Microsoft really waited until the last possible moment. I was going to kiss Xbox good bye next generation this year as my 10 year LIVE history would not have transferred over and without my gamer history I would have had no loyalty to pay for LIVE anymore. Now it's a no-brainer again, that gamerscore.

Magical Drop

Neo Member
Been waiting aaaaages for this but for some reason it won't let me migrate and keeps giving me

There’s a problem completing your move right now. Please check the Region Change Support Page to make sure it will work for you, and try again later.

None of the listed restrictions apply to me so I hope it's something to do with the current Service alert related to accounts.

8bit

Knows the Score
That's good to know.

I still wish they would make English available for all countries as an option.

I live in Switzerland and have to choose between German and French for Xbox Live content.

Yeah, was just considering doing it until I remembered I'd be stuck with a German dashboard.

MrBS

I just did this myself. I don't know what ever possessed me to go with an AU account in the first place, I have a US model 360. Anyway I now have my account setup for the US. Everything transferred properly, yes even achievements, more importantly purchase history, all DLC, my remaining time left on my gold sub (March 2014 lol) and points.

As far as I can see I've lost nothing going AU to US. A quick check and I can still use AU specfic app iview while logged in under my US account. The advantage is I now have access to the US store, I can purchase xbox live indie games and games & DLC exclusive to the US without issue. Good times.

Also it appears that this change is not global. Ie my microsoft account is still very much an Australian account, set up with my AU address but I now have a second option for a US billing address which I set up at time of transfer. Curious.

I guess I'll report back if anything is wrong but it seems the thing I've wanted but never asked for because I never thought would happen, has happend. I've transferred my AU account in its entirity to the US service. Goodbye AU price gouging forever.

I just did this myself. I don't know what ever possessed me to go with an AU account in the first place, I have a US model 360. Anyway I now have my account setup for the US. Everything transferred properly, yes even achievements, more importantly purchase history, all DLC, my remaining time left on my gold sub (March 2014 lol) and points.

As far as I can see I've lost nothing going AU to US. A quick check and I can still use AU specfic app iview while logged in under my US account. The advantage is I now have access to the US store, I can purchase xbox live indie games and games & DLC exclusive to the US without issue. Good times.

Also it appears that this change is not global. Ie my microsoft account is still very much an Australian account, set up with my AU address but I now have a second option for a US billing address which I set up at time of transfer. Curious.

I guess I'll report back if anything is terribly but it seems the thing I've wanted but never asked for because I never thought would happen, has happend. I've transferred my AU account in its entirity to the US service. Goodbye AU price gouging forever.

Let us know how you go. Always wanted a us account for indie games.

TheDanger

Banned
I just want to change to US to set my achievements back to English, the German translations are so ridiculous that it's not even fun to earn them.

Example for German speaking GAF:

Halo 3 achievement called Have fun respawning is translated "Viel Spaß beim Generieren".

I have my British account on a Japanese Xbox in Japan. Do I stand to gain anything from changing my region? For example, I use Japanese Hulu while logged into that account because I set up a Japanese silver account to download the app...

This is open to abuse, no? What if I change to the US to get cheaper Microsoft Points? Points in proper denominations too (what good is 500/1500, as opposed to 400/800/1600 etc).Surely Microsoft will be pissed at me, given the fact that they can see my IP. Is there a disclaimer or anything to deter this kind of thing? I think I'll stick with an alt account, rather than risk it on my main.

wrog

This is open to abuse, no? What if I change to the US to get cheaper Microsoft Points? Points in proper denominations too (what good is 500/1500, as opposed to 400/800/1600 etc).Surely Microsoft will be pissed at me, given the fact that they can see my IP. Is there a disclaimer or anything to deter this kind of thing? I think I'll stick with an alt account, rather than risk it on my main.
I live in Europe and use US account so they really don't care. But you can't buy or use anything (like Netflix or other US-only apps) that is IP blocked.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have my British account on a Japanese Xbox in Japan. Do I stand to gain anything from changing my region? For example, I use Japanese Hulu while logged into that account because I set up a Japanese silver account to download the app...

To illustrate how the Xbox regions system works, there are multiple benefits on being able to have the account based on the country where you live in

Features limited by account country - your Xbox menu will have UK apps such as BBC, Sky, iPlayer, 40D, Lovefilm only if your account is based in the UK, regardless of your IP address. So if you'd have a Finnish LIVE account and UK IP, you would not be able to see these apps. Obviously this is a huge benefit in being finally able to get the UK account.

Purchases limited by IP address - some publishers (looking at you, Capcpom) lock their content to the same IP address as the account. So if you had a Finnish account but lived in UK, you could not download certain items from the Finnish Xbox Live store because they detect you are physically in the UK. If you have an UK account and UK IP address, you could download the same item without a problem.

Billing address and credit card - buying points and subscriptions becomes problematic if you have an account with a different country than your home address. So say I had a Finnish account and lived in UK. My UK credit card would be unusable because the address check would fail. So to use a UK credit card you need to have an UK account.

Assuming that region limitations are required by content providers, Microsofts way of doing it actually a pretty elegant now that you can change your account country.

nOoblet16

You're wrong! The bolded is not true with the new system you retain your entire purchase history and can re-download everything as normal. With the sole exception being items that do not have a licensing/distribution deal in the region you migrated to.

You can re-download things via Xbox.com even, https://live.xbox.com/en-GB/Download/History
I wonder why I'm not able to make the old downloads work then, they do show up in download list but they don't work.

oatmeal

Banned
Seemed easy enough...but I boot up my 360 today and it's still CANADA!

I'm chatting with MS right now on their chat thing and they had me download my profile and redownload and it did nothing...

Even on Xbox.com my account says Canadian (English) at the bottom left. When I click US for that, it just refreshes as Canada.

Seems like this doesn't work as well as I'd hoped :(

Chittagong

Gold Member

I'm chatting with MS right now on their chat thing and they had me download my profile and redownload and it did nothing...

Even on Xbox.com my account says Canadian (English) at the bottom left. When I click US for that, it just refreshes as Canada.

that's odd. Mine FI => UK switch has worked without problems. I did have to reboot my Lumia for the changes to happen in Xbox Music and Xbox Games apps.

Hey sorry to resurrect this but i just did the same thing.

I got an email saying that MS will soon be moving to currency based purchases rather than points, since i have an Australian MS account but not an Australian Credit card i thought it best to change to my current region.

I followed the steps in the OP and changed to the UAE - everything said this was done.

I just logged in to XBL on my xbox and all the currency values are still in $AUD and i cant move my billing information to UAE, it still has only the Australian states.

Any idea why this didnt work even though on my PC it says it did?

Where can i also confirm my region change?

Top Bottom