• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman

Really? Haha, I'm sure my brother said the Wii one took him like 50 hours.

He was probably just playing slowly.

Looking forward to this (Moreso because of the upcoming MegaTen crossover), but man, they're screwing over EU with the wait. Typical NOE. :/

The Wii one is the longest one, I think it also has the most dialogue, and since you have multiple parties you spend a lot of time outfitting them, so that's no surprise.

I can't see anyone playing FE7 for over 30 hours though. The first 10 chapters are tutorials.

Looks great, but the SpotPass section sounds a bit unclear.

Especially the part where you mention the DLC characters. Also "skirmishes" is used by The Sacred Stones to refer to random battles and might confuse some players.

I think you could mention you can recruit up to 120 legacy characters from SpotPass, which would help to put it apart from the paid DLC.

Oh yeah, there's also a mixup between StreetPass and SpotPass in the last sentence.

(Apologies for the nit-picking!)

Lunar15

The Wii one is the longest one, I think it also has the most dialogue, and since you have multiple parties you spend a lot of time outfitting them, so that's no surprise.

I can't see anyone playing FE7 for over 30 hours though. The first 10 chapters are tutorials.

God, I spent so much time doing that. Especially before the last chapter when you're flush with cash all of a sudden and you have to buy everything for the rest of the game.

Mr. Fix

This GameFAQs reviewer said he played the game for 68 hours (including restarts) his first time through. He said he's slow at reading Japanese though, but that couldn't have added like 50 hours lol. Pretty sure it's longer than 15-20 hours, excluding Spotpass and DLC chapters.

I play with animations off, and the 15-20 range comes from any consecutive playthroughs of the older FE's. I'll update the OP if it's actually different.

Looks great, but the SpotPass section sounds a bit unclear.

Especially the part where you mention the DLC characters. Also "skirmishes" is used by The Sacred Stones to refer to random battles and might confuse some players.

I think you could mention you can recruit up to 120 legacy characters from SpotPass, which would help to put it apart from the paid DLC.

Oh yeah, there's also a mixup between StreetPass and SpotPass in the last sentence.

(Apologies for the nit-picking!)

Thanks, breh. I'd feel bad if I did leave anything vague. For the spotpass though, they technically are skirmish, aside from the 6 campaign ones. From what I've read though, you can't actually recruit the other spotpass characters, can you? Conflicting reports said that you could, but they wouldn't have a portrait.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
15-20 hours is all? Seriously? I swear I played Fire Emblem GBA for at least 4 times that length. That's disappointing.

You can burn through FE7 in 20 hours on one playthrough easily (although you probably won't your first playthrough). I'm sure side quest, streetpass battles and DLC will increase Awakening's playtime greatly, as will multiple playthroughs if you care about marrying different people and seeing support convos.

Javier

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If you're playing through Fire Emblem once, and then you shelve the game, you're playing it wrong.

Midou

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If you're playing through Fire Emblem once, and then you shelve the game, you're playing it wrong.

I can never play something twice back to back. No matter how much I like the game. I'm sure I'll go back to it eventually though.

Lunar15

Wait, does DLC + Spotpass mean that I could potentially have Ike and Hector on the same team?

I need this even more than I needed it previously, which was a lot. This almost warrants an avatar change.

Luigi87

Impressions sound absolutely fantastic.
I passed on the demo so I would experience this fresh (Never played a FE title) but it sounds beyond promising.

Chrom

Wait, does DLC + Spotpass mean that I could potentially have Ike and Hector on the same team?

I need this even more than I needed it previously, which was a lot.

Yeah. In fact, there's a DLC Ike and a SpotPass Ike, so you can have two Ikes if you want.

Lunar15

Yeah. In fact, there's a DLC Ike and a SpotPass Ike, so you can have two Ikes if you want.

UmpOi.gif

Game of the Forever.

Really can't wait for this. I'm a relative newbie to the series and the demo seemed liked just what I've been waiting for on the 3DS.

Midou

:lol

Maybe I should turn them on. It was a tradition with first playthroughs, though watching clips of the Japanese game had me feeling really impatient.

I usually turn them off when either

A) there is a super powered unit who is fighting 10+ enemies per turn

or

B) I am re-doing a map that has long turns with lots of enemies.

It feels super awesome when an enemy tries to attack one of your characters, misses or does no damage, then they counter with some super powered skill activating. So satisfying.

Effect

My only concern about "casual mode" is what happens in terms of story. If a character would appear in story scene after a battle had he or she lived but dies in casual mode do they still appear in the store scene? Or does the game treat them as if they had died for the sake of the story even though they can be used in the next battle?

My only concern about "casual mode" is what happens in terms of story. If a character would appear in story scene after a battle had he or she lived but dies in casual mode do they still appear in the store scene? Or does the game treat them as if they had died for the sake of the story even though they can be used in the next battle?
I heard they don't get endings if they died in casual mode.

Chrom

Characters don't really die in Casual. They just retreat.

I heard they don't get endings if they died in casual mode.

I don't believe this is true.

Midou

Well in other FE games, if a character needs to show up in an important story part, they 'retreat' from battle, but you just can't use them again.

Roman

I'm on my third fire emblem game in a row now, normally I get burned out of gaming marathons, but this shit is crazy addicting.

Is this your first time playing them? I found playing 2, 3 (before the remake) and 4 especially tiring in the past.

I'm conflicted. I want to play as a girl voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro, but I also want to waifu a young maiden. I will have to come to a decision before it comes out.

ultron87

I think I'm going to give this one a shot. Fire Emblem was always just the weird strategy game my roommate played for 60 hours. But I liked what I played for the demo and have some long trips coming up.

Is Monday the new weird day Nintendo releases stuff on?

Midou

Is this your first time playing them? I found playing 2, 3 (before the remake) and 4 especially tiring in the past.

Yeah. I started on 7 near end of December, then went to 9 and now I'm towards the end of 10. I was going to go to 3 or 4 after awakening, though probably not right away. I hear 1 and 2 are kind of eh, so planned to skip them.

Roman

Yeah. I started on 7 near end of December, then went to 9 and now I'm towards the end of 10. I was going to go to 3 or 4 after awakening, though probably not right away. I hear 1 and 2 are kind of eh, so planned to skip them.

Yeah sure, playing 7, 9 and 10 for the first time is an amazing experience, I was more talking of replays.

You can really skip 1 and 3 nowadays but 2 is curious for many reasons, it was one of those weird early Famicom sequels in the vein of FFII, Castlevania II and Zelda II where developers upended the tea table. It strongly influenced both Sacred Stones and Awakening, as it introduced maps and encounters on them. Furthermore, it's the first one with multiple parties you can switch between.

Chrom

Is Monday the new weird day Nintendo releases stuff on?

All I can say is that Nintendo never releases games on a day other than Sunday if they're big like Mario or Zelda. Why other games like Fire Emblem have to be released on a Monday escapes me, but I don't mind.

bonercop

So they changed Mark's name into Morgan in the US version?

That seems odd.
Isn't that supposed to be a FE7 reference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom