• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm ashamed to say I never really played a Fire Emblem game before but always wanted to and now a new one comes out and I can't play it till April :( But oh well that's better than no EU release at all :p

All I can say is that Nintendo never releases games on a day other than Sunday if they're big like Mario or Zelda. Why other games like Fire Emblem have to be released on a Monday escapes me, but I don't mind.

"Big" games do get Sunday releases - Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc. Also games that launch alongside hardware, including revisions.

They experimented once or twice with making all their games Sunday releases, I remember Sin & Punishment 2 in particular was one and they haven't really bothered with that since.

They also briefly experimented with Fridays as a release date (like with Kid Icarus) and I actually genuinely liked that. But it didn't seem to take off.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I have one week to beat FE10 and FE12. I can do it. I don't even want to think about the 5 3DS games I have just started as well.

Chrom

So they changed Mark's name into Morgan in the US version?

That seems odd.
Isn't that supposed to be a FE7 reference?

Yeah, they did change Mark to Morgan. I'd guess it's because they wanted a unisex name that sounded more like a name to other people.

We like to think that it is a reference to FE7 (it probably is). Either way, your Avatar is probably supposed to be more of an allusion to the FE7 Tactician anyway.

Animekatt

Can't wait for this. I have my preorder paid in full at Gamestop, so I'm looking forward to the artbook as well.

As this will be my first FE game, I have no shame in saying that I will be playing this on casual mode.

UmpOi.gif

Game of the Forever.

You can also get his son haha.

Wait, was the Spotpass Ike FE9 Ike or FE10? I hated the complete slab of meat that he turned into with FE10, looked MUCH better as a Lord in 9.

As for Mark -> Morgan thing, I still think they should have just let us name them. Makes half sense in the Japanese release, since they were usiing Mark, and thus alluding to FE7, but here we understand that there are no chicks named Mark. And given that half or more of the time Mark is a chick, it's just weird. But changing it to Morgan is a better name, though it loses the reference.

Takuan

Bought an XL over the weekend just to play this. It'll be my first FE game. Might start off in casual mode because I never liked losing units forever in SRPGS.

Busaiku

So I just wasted a question asking about DLC on Twitter, but have any plans been announced for more DLC?
Or was that it (for Japan)?

Yawnier

Banned
This game is coming out on my birthday, so I may or may not get as a birthday present to myself.

I still want to download the demo to see if this my type of game, because I haven't played a single game in this entire series before so I have absolutely no idea if it is my cup of tea.

I'm really hoping the DLC prices for this are good. Fire Emblem is my crack, so I know I'll be getting every single damned DLC regardless of anything (Alm was the only one I wasn't going to get, since FE2 is the only one I never played but WHOOP. DLC Class!), I just don't want it to destroy my bank account haha.

If they are at or just below the JPN prices that'd be great, but somehow I'm doubting that. Would be a nice super early birthday present.

Finally got around to playing the demo yesterday and it was very enjoyable. The non-gameplay graphics and cutscenes all look very nice in 3D. I wish they had made the bundle with a 3DS XL, I would have probably bought it, but I don't need another 3DS anyway. I will probably buy this game when it goes on sale since it doesn't come with any type of preorder bonuses though. My FE for the DS is still factory sealed.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wait, I just noticed this was a Monday release.
Darn it, can't play it till like night.

So weird. Not a big-game Sunday Nintendo release, nor is it a regular Tuesday release. I hope Futureshop doesn't go full derp and holds off until Tuesday to sell.

Thanks, breh. I'd feel bad if I did leave anything vague. For the spotpass though, they technically are skirmish, aside from the 6 campaign ones. From what I've read though, you can't actually recruit the other spotpass characters, can you? Conflicting reports said that you could, but they wouldn't have a portrait.
Let's see if I can explain it properly.

SpotPass teams--the ones you fight in skirmishes--include a leader character and up to 9 generic characters called "Outrealmers". You only recruit the leader character, that's true.

However SpotPass teams are released in groups of 10, so there are 10 leader characters to recruit every 2 weeks (going by Japan's SpotPass schedule). Furthermore there are 12 groups, so that makes 120 recruitable characters.

For example, the "Others" SpotPass group includes 10 legacy villains that you can recruit: Link.

Busaiku

Besides the 2 DLC classes, what others are sex exclusive classes?
I'm guessing Valkyrie is female only.
So weird. Not a big-game Sunday Nintendo release, nor is it a regular Tuesday release. I hope Futureshop doesn't go full derp and holds off until Tuesday to sell.

They've had a couple games come out on Fridays too, I think.

CSX

They've had a couple games come out on Fridays too, I think.

Pegasus Knight is female only.

Warrior/fighter/ whatever the first tier foot axe user is male only

NeonZ

Troubadour, Valkyrie, Pegasus Knight, Falcon Knight and Dark Flier are female-only. Barbarian, Berserker, Fighter, Warrior and Villager are male-only. Technically, Manakete and Dancer are female-only too, but that's more because they're limited special classes only available to some specific characters.

There are also spotpass skirmishes/"chapters" that consists of teams from older Fire Emblem games. Each spotpass sent out represents a game and you can actually recruit the leaders (main characters) by beating them or paying in-game money to have them join you. Note that these are also the same DLC characters later on, though they don't have the new character portrait/art.

Some corrections to the Spotpass information in the op...

At least, in the original version, there were overall 120 spotpass teams, while the number of DLC characters was much smaller. So, although the paid DLC characters generally all have free Spotpass versions, there are many characters who only have the free spotpass version, like Hector (FE7) and the Black Knight (FE10).

Also, regarding the differences between different versions of the same character, the spotpass characters use their old artwork, while paid DLC have new art, that's correct, but it's not the only difference. Paid DLC also have exclusive skills that their free versions can't get and sometimes even different classes.

Spotpass characters join through hiring in the main world map or choosing to fight against them there and beat them in a skirmish, like explained in the op. They only have a generic greeting line in the world map and a few battle and joining lines during the skirmish. The "skirmish" itself is a battle similar to the Streetpass team battle mentioned in the op, with the spotpass team being composed by the legacy character and 9 specific units fighting alongside them against the player's chosen party. Meanwhile, paid DLC characters come alongside actual new chapters, with bgms from past games, recreations of past maps, actual dialogue and interaction with the Awakening cast, and those chapters even involve other legacy characters in various roles as enemies or allied npcs, and sometimes have prizes like new skills and even the promotion items for the two DLC classes mentioned in the op.

RPGCrazied

Already have it paid off. Can't wait. I don't know if I'll be done with Ni No Kuni by the time I get it, but I sure am trying.

RyoonZ

Banned
Nice OP!
I've never played any Fire Emblem games before, this will be my first one. Too bad we don't have the Gamestop here so I can't get the bonus artbook.

blamite

Nice OP! The demo recently inspired me to go back to my Ambassador copy of The Sacred Stones, and I'm hoping to finish that soon so I can get right into Awakening afterwards. It's fun! I've had to reset a few more times than I would have liked to, so I'm contemplating shamefully playing Awakening on casual mode, but I don't think I could do it without hating myself for taking the easy way out. :lol

Wiz

Haven't played through a FE game on years, excited to get back into the series. I'm thinking about going through the game first on casual before I try classic mode.

Tiu Neo

Oohh, it's almost time :3

Hope it doesn't take too long for Nintendo to release it here. Could buy digital, but for this one, I want a physical copy.

EDIT: Oooh, Feb. 08 here on Brazil. I hope they don't delay this time. Bought.

Busaiku

Ah.
The Japanese artbook isn't the same thing as the pre-order bonus.

I imagine the Gamestop book will mostly or all be things from the artbook though.

Great op.

My preorder is ready. I REALLY hope I can get the artbook, but the store hasn't made any mention of any pre-order bonuses s I'm not keeping my hopes up, and since that store is the closest thing we have to Gamestop, if they don't get it then I doubt any other store will :/

I love Fire Emblem, but god I suck at them, the only one I've been able to beat is Sacred Stones >__>

GSR

Day 3, going by when GS said they'll have it in.

Looking forward to this way more than I expected, the demo was excellent. Will probably roll Hard/Classic for my first run.

Definitely looking forward to nabbing this off of the eShop. That demo was fantastic, and I say that as someone who's far from being a fan of the series. Tried both GBA entries and couldn't really get into them.

I'll be going with Casual mode, as permadeath doesn't really sit right with me. Glad to hear I won't miss out on any content because of it.

Soooo hyped. Finally time to get back into this series and I have a feeling I might like this game more than PoR.

Normal / Classic first time for me. The harder difficulties I'll probably only choose Casual. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom