• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noooooooooooooo. Ill head to town tommorow to check out some other stores like Saturn and BartSmit. hope they dont dissapoint. btw do you know any Dutch stores that also has the Artbook with the copy of the game in the Netherlands?
Checked Bart Smit's and Intertoys' sites and they don't even have the game listed. I don't think that bodes well.. They usually have their sites updated in time for bigger releases. Free Record Shop had is listed as a pre-order yesterday and an expected delivery of two-three weeks.

Didn't NOA fuck up the US release like this too?

It's about the only game I'm interested in for 3DS. Was going to buy it on hype today, but no stock anywhere...

LayLa

EU here, just played the first couple of hours on hard/classic.
really impressed with the production values, even the menus seem super polished. the amount of customisation you can do via the options is also impressive.
feet ..... yeh. has there been any explanation for this?

Chrom

Checked Bart Smit's and Intertoys' sites and they don't even have the game listed. I don't think that bodes well.. They usually have their sites updated in time for bigger releases. Free Record Shop had is listed as a pre-order yesterday and an expected delivery of two-three weeks.

It's about the only game I'm interested in for 3DS. Was going to buy it on hype today, but no stock anywhere...

Oh yes.

pariah164

I just saw the artbook EU got.

Why does EU get all the fancy pre-order bonus things? :< *thinks her own artbook is rather cheap, now* Dammit NoA! *fistshake*

Chrom

EU here, just played the first couple of hours on hard/classic.
really impressed with the production values, even the menus seem super polished. the amount of customisation you can do via the options is also impressive.
feet ..... yeh. has there been any explanation for this?

Yes, actually. 8-4, the team that localized the game, had asked this question to Intelligent Systems in an interview that was held in January.

8-4: Speaking of doing something difererent, we have to ask a question a lot of the fans are wondering -- what happened with the feet? (laughs)

Kusakihara: (Laughs) Well, they're there...they're just...omitted a little bit.

The idea was to add a unique sort of deformation to the characters. As for why it ended up like this... At the start of the project, we weren't entirely sure how many bones and joints we'd be able to use in each character model. As it is now, there's a joint at the knees, and then there's nothing below that for the ankles and the feet. This makes it a bit easier to apply animation to models as well. We found out afterward that, with the 3DS, we had more than enough CPU strength available to flesh out the models a bit, add real ankles and so on. We were like "Well, if there's a next time, maybe there'll be more ankles..." (laughs)

We thought we could make it something that would work well with the characters, but now I'm not so sure. (laughs) So it's hard to give a real reason for it, but...well, I think it's kind of cute, though! (laughs) Isn't it? They look like they're wearing high heels. Aren't high heels the big fashion these days?

8-4: Did you get any feedback about this from Japanese players as well?

Kusakihara: Yeah, some people focused on the feet a lot. (laughs) I think if this was a game that involved people kicking and such, we would have put in real ankles. Instead, you're using handheld weapons for the most part, so we figured we could sort of omit some of the detail down there...

Yokota: We did get feedback about that in the playtesting sessions, but by that point it was like "Well, we can't do much about that now." (laughs)

Kusakihara: A lot of people seemed really preoccupied with the feet... Ah, well. (laughs)

Draxal

I just saw the artbook EU got.

Why does EU get all the fancy pre-order bonus things? :< *thinks her own artbook is rather cheap, now* Dammit NoA! *fistshake*

Well, both are garbage compared to the ultra special Japanese one that you can buy, only problem is that in's moon language.

Link Man

Banned

Those digital sales.

m0t0k1

Sigh i don't like to go digital. Also i still have some vvv coupons to spent. But indeed this doesnt bode well. I saw on the eshop that somebody has posted 5 star review for Fire Emblem on the dutch eshop that lucky basterd :p

Chrom

So basically....they were lazy towards the feet. I'll agree they're cute in a weird way lol.

In a way, yeah, they didn't want to go through that trouble apparently late into the development. Supposing there will be another Fire Emblem game for the 3DS, I expect they won't do this again.

I decided to visit some stores today to see if perhaps they already had the game one day in advance.
Mediamarkt was already selling the 3DS XL bundle ,but I didn't see normal copies.
They told me they only had one separate copy ,but they couldn't find it.... until I spotted it between some other new games they didn't put on display yet.
Guess I got lucky.

Still. It kinda worries me that they only got one copy and would have to wait until next week for more.

Heads up for us Dutchies; GameMania won't receive enough copies because Nintendo doesn't have enough stock available. My copy won't arrive until next week :(

So it's not just Mediamarkt with the lack of stock.

Noooooooooooooo. Ill head to town tommorow to check out some other stores like Saturn and BartSmit. hope they dont dissapoint. btw do you know any Dutch stores that also has the Artbook with the copy of the game in the Netherlands?

I didn't get any artbook. I guess we dutchies won't be getting it...

Moff

if you pair up two characters, the one behind never gets any xp, at least as long as their bond is too low and he cant do dual strikes, is that right?
so I need to switch them regularly for best results, right?
its useless to pair up a ranged and a melee, correct?
forging is useless, too, right? unless you're incredibly rich

Chrom

if you pair up two characters, the one behind never gets any xp, at least as long as their bond is too low and he cant do dual strikes, is that right?
so I need to switch them regularly for best results, right?
its useless to pair up a ranged and a melee, correct?
forging is useless, too, right? unless you're incredibly rich

Dual Strikes can occur within any Pair Up group, the chance is random but it improves with better bonds. When the secondary unit does attack, they do earn experience points, but never as much as if they were the primary.

Dual Strikes disregard range, so an Archer can use bows to Dual Strike even if the primary is attacking an adjacent enemy.

Forging can be useful if you can afford it.

Dual Strikes can occur within any Pair Up group, the chance is random but it improves with better bonds. When the secondary unit does attack, they do earn experience points, but never as much as if they were the primary.

Dual Strikes disregard range, so an Archer can use bows to Dual Strike even if the primary is attacking an adjacent enemy.

Forging can be useful if you can afford it.

Plus dual strikes just look cool.

Nakayumi

So I was reminded today why I hate buying physical games in stores. Went to the local gameshop after hearing the game hit the shelves, but the guy behind the desk was being a smug-ass bastard. I could tell he had it, and having working in a gameshop myself, I know he could've sold it. I wasn't about to start begging him though, but since I had some spare credit at this particular store I wanted to get rid of I decided to get €65,- worth of e-shop points instead.

This will be my first digital full-game Nintendo purchase. Have to admit it feels a little weird, but I already switched to digital with Steam and PSN, so it's the logical next step. And as Fire Emblem will be one of those games I wanna have on my console at all times, it's probably more convenient to have it digitally as well.

Only 3 more hours before it unlocks, can't wait to play it!

Any recommendations on difficulty level? This will be my first Fire Emblem game, but I have played through all Advance Wars games before. I like a challenge and I don't mind characters dying I think, since it will add to the drama.

Add Stahl to my death pile, he wasn't going strong enough for me to bother resetting for, he will be sort of missed, hmm 3 perma deaths already, at this rate how are the ladies going to have enough male partners to go around?
Fun game though, I finally feel as if my core units are getting strong enough to not crumple to pieces when the action heats up, Chapter 7 coming up next, still holding out for some kind of axe user to fill the void in my merry band of misfits.

Moved to Gaming for the benefit of our European bretheren.

And, we're back!

There are 3 separate saves....tho that's still not enough for me and playing on casual gives access to two battle saves that are used to save while playing a chapter.

Tell me about it. I'm going to hate myself for some time after having to delete my first playthrough, since I need the open space for a new female run for ALL THE SUPPORTS EVER.

Who's going to do the OT2? OP's banned :(

If no one else wants to do it, I can do a quick c+p/edit or whatever for OT2.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So I was reminded today why I hate buying physical games in stores. Went to the local gameshop after hearing the game hit the shelves, but the guy behind the desk was being a smug-ass bastard. I could tell he had it, and having working in a gameshop myself, I know he could've sold it. I wasn't about to start begging him though, but since I had some spare credit at this particular store I wanted to get rid of I decided to get €65,- worth of e-shop points instead.

This will be my first digital full-game Nintendo purchase. Have to admit it feels a little weird, but I already switched to digital with Steam and PSN, so it's the logical next step. And as Fire Emblem will be one of those games I wanna have on my console at all times, it's probably more convenient to have it digitally as well.

Only 3 more hours before it unlocks, can't wait to play it!

Any recommendations on difficulty level? This will be my first Fire Emblem game, but I have played through all Advance Wars games before. I like a challenge and I don't mind characters dying I think, since it will add to the drama.

I think you'd be fine with hard/classic. From what I've heard, normal is too easy, and lunatic is a pain in the ass (personal experience). Hard is reasonable.

-Horizon-

FE_pre-sell_booklet.jpg
Such an awesome preorder, I am cry we never got that (that hard cover) ;-;

Chrom

Anyone want to throw out any ideas for a new OT subtitle for OT2? Kind of hard to top Lord of the RNG.

Just so we're clear, I'm only just asking. I'm not working on OT2, but I don't think I'd mind doing so or helping out.

Oxx

Anyone want to throw out any ideas for a new OT subtitle for OT2? Kind of hard to top Lord of the RNG.

Just so we're clear, I'm only just asking. I'm not working on OT2, but I don't think I'd mind doing so or helping out.

Something about feet. Y'all are obsessed.

Shahadan

In any case I really think a new OT would be welcome for newcomers, this one is probably gonna scare/spoil people, no?

Not my call, but that was my 2 cents.

Spike

I have received my copy today. So excited I haven't played a Fire Emblem game since Shadow Dragon. I just put it on my 3DS from the starting intro movie I was blown away. Yusuke Kozaki did an amazing job on the new art style of the game, it's also familiar from the no more heroes games that I love so much.

Ok now I better go and play some. I almost forgot to mention that I received a pre order bonus with my copy. It was this beautiful artbook. Enjoy.

FE_pre-sell_booklet.jpg

Can you please post some scans so we can see what they included?

Why does NoA suck so much? :mad:

In any case I really think a new OT would be welcome for newcomers, this one is probably gonna scare/spoil people, no?

I agree. We can do waifu wars in OT3!

I've yet to be bothered about the feet, It just reminds me Wind Waker style feet, maybe that game got me used to it.

OT2 is all about those PAL reinforcements.

Oh man, working PAL reinforcements into the title would be awesome.

McNum

Well, Casual Mode is called Newcomer Mode in the European version, I think. "Lord of the RNG" is going to be hard to beat for a subtitle, though.

Shahadan

I pm'd duckroll to know if making a new thread now would be ok.
I'd be honored to do one, and since the OP is REALLY well made, maybe a copy/paste is the best solution anyway. I doubt Mr Fix would be against that.

Edit : unless of course someone has been preparing something ^^

I pm'd duckroll to know if making a new thread now would be ok.
I'd be honored to do one, and since the OP is REALLY well made, maybe a copy/paste is the best solution anyway. I doubt Mr Fix would be against that.

Edit : unless of course someone has been preparing something ^^

You're welcome to make OT2 since no one else seems gun-ho about it and that means less work for me.

wait a minute, sometimes two characters attack after each other. this is not the same as a dual strike?

and something else: sometimes a character attacks twice, why is that?

That's dual strike.

Attacking twice is either through having a brave weapon or the character has 5 more speed than the enemy.

zroid

Banned
We should just use the one that was narrowly beaten out in the voting for the first subtitle

Fire Emblem |OT2| Tactical Waifu Action

Chrom

wait a minute, sometimes two characters attack after each other. this is not the same as a dual strike?

and something else: sometimes a character attacks twice, why is that?

Dual Strike refers to when the secondary unit attacks right after the primary unit.

Every unit is able to attack an additional time if they are faster than their opponent by 5 Speed or greater, or if they are wielding a weapon like a Brave Axe. This doesn't apply to Dual Strikes, which are single attacks that always follow the primary unit's attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom