• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Is it dumb not to use Frederick? He's so clearly above and beyond all my other units at this point I'm worried there's going to be an unavoidable story death to just fuck over new players who over-relied on him.

No, in fact it's better not to rely on him at all. He starts off pre-promoted with a late game weapon so he seems ridiculously strong at the start, but as soon as you start promoting other characters he gets left in the dust.

Frederick's best use early on is for giving pair up support to frail characters so that they can get a better share of the exp.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
And last major question for now, but you basically should take most classes only to level 10 and then class out?

That really depends on what your goal is. Given you're new at it, I'd say hold off on using Master Seals until level 20. Gets messy with class changing since that reverts your level though so you might not need to wait exactly until 20.

I'd link my second seal/master seal post, but I don't want to complicate things more than necessary.

Since you can grind in this game, it's not really an issue.
Unless you don't want to grind.

I'd always assume people would prefer the no-grind option. It's the path of least resistance and the most "proper" way to play it given most of the series doesn't let you grind, aside from obtuse methods like risky arena fights or boss abuse.

So my Olivia has max speed, but is a level 3 Dancer, what do I do. I feel like she can be a really useful character, but she has to be stuck as a dancer. :/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So my Olivia has max speed, but is a level 3 Dancer, what do I do. I feel like she can be a really useful character, but she has to be stuck as a dancer. :/

She doesn't have to be. She makes a good assassin, especially if you go through Swordmaster first for Swordfaire and Astra. She also has Dark Flier for Galeforce.

daakusedo

I don't know how long it'll stay like this but since chapter 8, it's getting easier with all the new members, I feel less pressured but enjoying it more cause the maps are bigger and crowded so there's still strategy and I'm not relying so much on luck for a guy to survive like in previous chapters, 5 or 6 where you were stucked in tiny areas and enemies came quickly at you on all fronts.
And I don't know what to do with all those wi-fi bonus characters, they are so many...
Something I wonder in the Anna 4th mission, if I had put someone where the thief escape, would he have been able to flee or be stucked in front of my character?

Bah I keep losing my cleric to the boss on The Secret Seller. Keep forgetting about his range. And sometimes the NPC ally either dies, or the village gets invaded. :/

daakusedo

So I could have stopped him and get back martialis...
I wondered cause of the wyvern reinforcements in a past chapter which I thought I could block but still appear on the map on the nearest free space.

Busaiku

I can't remember the map, but was it only 1 tile for exit, up against walls or something?
If so, then yeah, it could have gone towards another tile and exit that way.

But if that was the sole exit, then yeah you could block it.

So I could have stopped him and get back martialis...
I wondered cause of the wyvern reinforcements in a past chapter which I thought I could block but still appear on the map on the nearest free space.

I think if reinforcements appear out of a stairway or a fort, you could block them. If they just come in, well you really can't block that.

Thraktor

Question on one of the DLC maps:

I downloaded the Golden Pack there yesterday, and went into the first map in the pack (Golden Graffle or something like that). Anyway, despite being labelled as a one star difficulty, there were a buch of level 20 enemies on the map (alongside quite a few low-level enemies). I played a couple of other one star maps, which were fairly straight-forward to beat, and I was expecting more of the same here, but there's no way I'm risking my characters (mostly around levels 7-10 on base classes) against a buch of level 20s. What's the deal here?

Also, do people advise holding out on using class upgrades until the character gets to level 20, to maximise the total stat gains?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I downloaded the Golden Pack there yesterday, and went into the first map in the pack (Golden Graffle or something like that). Anyway, despite being labelled as a one star difficulty, there were a buch of level 20 enemies on the map (alongside quite a few low-level enemies). I played a couple of other one star maps, which were fairly straight-forward to beat, and I was expecting more of the same here, but there's no way I'm risking my characters (mostly around levels 7-10 on base classes) against a buch of level 20s. What's the deal here?

Also, do people advise holding out on using class upgrades until the character gets to level 20, to maximise the total stat gains?

None of the enemies on that map will initiate attacks, so you can ignore the strong ones. Same with the experience map, but NOT the Infinite Regalia map. Those enemies won't hesitate to kill you.

And yes, if you use a master seal at level 10, you will become a level 1 promoted unit. Promoted classes are assumed to be level 20 + displayed level, so you would be effectively level 21 (which impacts your experience growth) despite only having gained half that many levels.

I explained that more here. It's not really worth trying to do an ideal/"perfect" playthrough until you've gone through the game once or twice.

I downloaded the Golden Pack there yesterday, and went into the first map in the pack (Golden Graffle of something like that). Anyway, despite being labelled as a one star difficulty, there were a buch of level 20 enemies on the map (alongside quite a few low-level enemies). I played a couple of other one star maps, which were fairly straight-forward to beat, and I was expecting more of the same here, but there's no way I'm risking my characters (mostly around levels 7-10 on base classes) against a buch of level 20s. What's the deal here?

For the Golden Gaffe and the EXP one, all the enemies there are running towards the bottom of the map. They will not attack you (unless you block their escape in the EXP one), so you can choose which ones to fight and which ones to leave alone. You don't have to defeat everything as once either they all run away or the last one remaining dies, the map ends.

Thraktor

None of the enemies on that map will initiate attacks, so you can ignore the strong ones.

And yes, if you use a master seal at level 10, you will become a level 1 promoted unit. Promoted classes are assumed to be level 20 + displayed level, so you would be effectively level 21 despite only having gained half that many levels.

I explained that more here. It's not really worth trying to do an ideal/"perfect" playthrough until you've gone through the game once or twice.

For the Golden Gaffe and the EXP one, all the enemies there are running towards the bottom of the map. They will not attack you (unless you block their escape in the EXP one), so you can choose which ones to fight and which ones to leave alone. You don't have to defeat everything as once either they all run away or the last one remaining dies, the map ends.

Thanks guys, I figured there must be something like that, but I wanted to be sure.

McNum

Yay, beat the game. Or rather, I stopped grinding for supports and just went for a clear file.

So... endgame spoilers.

That final stage! I had hoped that would be where the final battle would be, but I didn't actually expect them to DO it. Awesome, just awesome.

And then I beat up, well, me with a Brave Sword... and Tiki. Well Lucina got to help. I was going to let Chrom kill it, but you know, Ignis happens. And then came the final choice. Do I temporarily stop Grima by letting Chrom kill it, or do I go for the mutual final kill myself? Where I'd been warned that I'd only return "if the bonds with my friends was stronger than Grima". Well, considering the theme of the game IS bonds I was willing to take the outside shot there. And at the end of the credits, sure enough. Respawn!

Is the other ending good?

So... now what? I still don't have all the children recruited, so I could go for that, and that Spotpass map opened up, too.

Or start up another file with a female avatar?

one_kill

Would I lose stats or dampen the growth of my characters if I used a second seal to reclass them to a base class to get more skills? For instance, from Hero back to Mercenary? That is, of course, after I max out a class.

Would I lose stats or dampen the growth of my characters if I used a second seal to reclass them to a base class to get more skills? For instance, from Hero back to Mercenary? That is, of course, after I max out a class.

No, but they'll be temporarily weaker for being in a base class due to the lower class bases and caps.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Finished my first playthrough on Hard/Classic.
Gold) Sumia
Silver) Chrom
Bronze) Panne

Took me a long time because I was grinding for skills/supports/children.
Sumia and Chrom were married and used as tanks a lot, so no surprise they got the most kills. Bit surprised at Panne getting Bronze though. She got most of her kills as a Dark Flier.

Off to grind more children! Laurent with General/Great Knight Kellam as the father means he has an unusual high amount of DEF for a Sorceror. More so than my Great Lord Chrom :eek:

ffdgh

400+ hours so far and I just noticed I've never bought, found or used a flux tome before... Always went right for nosferatu.

400+ hours so far and I just noticed I've never bought, found or used a flux tome before... Always went right for nosferatu.

Flux is pretty cool for someone who's never used magic before and is reclassed into a Dark Mage. Highest attack out of all the E ranked magic tomes, cost the same as a Fire tome with only 10 less hit than a Thunder tome.

ohlawd

The cleavage on my FeMU.
My goodness. And she has pink hair. I am dying here.

And her supports, as few as I have, seem to "flow" better than the Male MU's.

McNum

Get the children, get the DLC, start a female Robin run.
Everything.

Get the children, pair up the children, finish the game for the "true" ending, even if it's just some epilogues that are going to change...

The other ending has a very touching moment when your avatar "speaks" with your family

Aw, I missed out on a sweet family moment? Ah, well, Grima is dead-dead. How do YOU like Permadeath, Grima? Ha! *cough*. I might do the Chrom variant at some point to see for myself.

Having the Avatar come back was pretty obvious. Friendship is... a powerful force in Awakening, to the point where you can measure it in combat.

Hmm, wait a minute... The Avatar comes back in much the same way as he/she was found in the opening. But without Grima's mark. This makes sense, actually. What reappears is the Avatar as seen by everyone who knew him/her. The bonds became the new body for the Avatar.

Actually, it becomes even more fun if you think about it. What allowed the Avatar to get so close to everyone was that due to the amnesia, there had never been anything other than forging bonds with his allies. The same bonds that grew strong enough to take down Grima. And who is the cause of this amnesia...? Grima!

Nice job killing yourself, Grima!

Thraktor

And yes, if you use a master seal at level 10, you will become a level 1 promoted unit. Promoted classes are assumed to be level 20 + displayed level, so you would be effectively level 21 (which impacts your experience growth) despite only having gained half that many levels.

Thanks for this, I hadn't noticed it in your reply earlier. Is there any convenient way to come across second seals, or is it just dumb luck getting them in battles or finding them in shops? I seem to come across master seals more often, but it seems second seals are more useful to me at this point in the game.

Anteo

Thanks for this, I hadn't noticed it in your reply earlier. Is there any convenient way to come across second seals, or is it just dumb luck getting them in battles or finding them in shops? I seem to come across master seals more often, but it seems second seals are more useful to me at this point in the game.

You can buy both in regular stores after a certain part of the game.
Master Seals
ch12
Second Seals
ch16

Attack on Titan manga and Fire Emblem Awakening spoilers
You defeat Grima by going to the nape of the neck and slicing up his human host.

Just like the Titans are defeated by going to the nape where the human controller is and slicing up the human inside.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Japanese female 3 is the best :3

I can't tell who is who from the English set. And Wendee Lee almost never changes the range of her voice but I still can't tell this time :/

Yeah man. Female 3 with Japanese voice 3 is heavenly. I haven't checked out the English female voices :x

Is there a squeaky high-pitched girl/young boy voice in the JP version? Everyone's older sounding in the international one, which is weird because it doesn't fit the loli-sized avatars

Kincaido

Miyuki Sawashiro is our goddess :3

The voice glitch is pissing me off. I understand everyone's pain now :(

Yeah it's hella annoying. Make sure that you don't delete all your data on accident.

Is there a squeaky high-pitched girl/young boy voice in the JP version? Everyone's older sounding in the international one, which is weird because it doesn't fit the loli-sized avatars

2 sounds younger than 1 and 3.

Kincaido

Talking about the wipe all data option? Or is there another glitch related to changing voices?

Yeah, the wipe data option. Some people have done it when they were rushing to change the voices back after a reset.

Two characters dead so far and on chapter 9.

Death one: The dumb axe guy you start with (I think you start with him).

Death two: The mage kid that you meet with Mabelline.

First one I didn't see coming. The second I did, but I wasn't going to reset the damn event.

It's too bad Sugita couldn't have been a voice option for your Avatar.

So what, it'll be mostly Sugita talking to Sugita for a good chunk of the game?

Moonlight

Banned
So, remind me who's the most optimum partner for Lissa? I've been constantly pairing her up with Vaike for my past three or four games, but I'm starting to undergo the impression that there are better partners for her (and thus Owain).

Top Bottom