• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Aexact

Is there a dumbed down guide that just flat out tells you who to wed to which chick and which classes and skills to take? Because looking at the child list and possible fathers and skills and inheritances is just way too much information right now.

No.

Longer answer: Kids can play different roles and the optimal father for each role differs. Support roles as pair up or active partner roles will have different needs. There are better fathers for each role so you end up having to play favoritism on who gets the better dads for a role.

Buuuut
Next time through in like a few years or something when I run in through I wonder if it's possible to run a second gem crew with every character with galeforce

One straightforward method is to breed for Galeforce.
Miriel and Cherche's kids can't ever get Galeforce.
Marry Male Avatar, Gaius, and Donnel to either Sully, Tharja, or Nowi to get Galeforce on to kids that normally can't get Galeforce. Once those three are out of the way, the rest of the pairings should be easier to figure out.

If you're running Female Avatar (or Male MU doesn't want to marry the tomboy, crazy stalker, or tiny dragon), sub Vaike in the trio. He can't teach a girl Galeforce but he can pass her Armsthrift (not gonna lie, I love Armsthrift).

I think I fucked up somewhere. I'm at chapter 20 and pretty much every character is now next to useless except Avatar and Donnel (don't have any kids yet). Everyone else gets knocked to half or less HP when taking on most units it seems. The enemy tanks are basically immune to damage from even my magical units (though I admittedly have few of them).

What do I do?

No.

Longer answer: Kids can play different roles and the optimal father for each role differs. Support roles as pair up or active partner roles will have different needs. There are better fathers for each role so you end up having to play favoritism on who gets the better dads for a role.

Ok so why is there no dumbed down guide with:

Father for role you want child to play + mother.
Then a class + skill layout.

I think I fucked up somewhere. I'm at chapter 20 and pretty much every character is now next to useless except Avatar and Donnel (don't have any kids yet). Everyone else gets knocked to half or less HP when taking on most units it seems. The enemy tanks are basically immune to damage from even my magical units (though I admittedly have few of them).

What do I do?

More grinding yay!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

What do I do?

Easy thing to do:

Take out every unit except for avatar and donnel, pair them up with their S partners, walk forward and skip every battle. Repeat.

Draxal

What do I do?

Because it's dependent on the avatar; and the best father is usually the same for a decent amount of chars (henry to pass off sorceror to a kid/gregor because merc/myrmidon trees are awesome).

Couldn't a female unit just reclass to mercenary for arms thrift?

Or am I missing something here?

Vaike passes the mercenary tree down to a female kid, but doesn't pass it down to a male kid.

Aexact

I mean to Sully, Tharja, or Nowi's kids, if they don't have access to a dad that passes them Galeforce (if they're not marrying Male MU because he's marrying someone else or he's a Female MU in that playthrough) then they have access to Vaike as a dad who passes Armsthrift.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Because it's dependent on the avatar; and the best father is usually the same for a decent amount of chars (henry to pass off sorceror to a kid/gregor because merc/myrmidon trees are awesome).

Vaike passes the mercenary tree down to a female kid, but doesn't pass it down to a male kid.

Ah alright, I thought he was referring to it as a gender exclusive skill.

ohlawd

Shame about Helswath.

You definitely are. Only Cordelia, Severa and Flavia get the Mercenary lines by themselves.

Gregor and Donnel are the only ones who can pass down the Mercenary line anywhere. Vaike can pass down the Mercenary line to female daughters. MU is a no brainer.

Easy thing to do:

Take out every unit except for avatar and donnel, pair them up with their S partners, walk forward and skip every battle. Repeat.

I don't know what you mean by walk forward and skip every battle. Do you mean skip the battle animation? And the Risen on the map seem pretty weak for grinding. :/

This game is sounding needlessly complicated. Why is it dependent on the avatar? Why can't they provide a guide with all the combinations not dependent on an avatar since that is so variable?

My Avatar is a sorcerer. Do I need Henry to pass down Sorcerer?

Why can't I simply reclass my Avatar to whatever I want passed down?

What if I end up accidentally getting a kid with shit traits? Can I send them off to die and get a new kid?

Draxal

I don't know what you mean by walk forward and skip every battle. Do you mean skip the battle animation? And the Risen on the map seem pretty weak for grinding. :/

This game is sounding needlessly complicated. Why is it dependent on the avatar? Why can't they provide a guide with all the combinations not dependent on an avatar since that is so variable?

What if I end up accidentally getting a kid with shit traits? Can I send them off to die and get a new kid?

Well, it's dependent on the avatar since he's either the best dad or she's the best mom, and you have to adjust from that.

Anteo

Avatar passes down all of his classes to their child so Morgan can be any class as long as is not a opposite sex class, or a special class that he/she did not inherit (like Manakete or Taguel). The starting class of the child is fixed (except for Morgan).

You don't have to reclass your avatar to pass down a class, you do need to get a skill and equip it to the last slot to pass it down.

You Monster. That's like the guy who wanted to murder Cordelia to get a new wife.
The kid stat caps and avalible classes are fixed the moment you complete a S rank. Even if you could kill them and get them again, you would get the same kid with the same Classes/Stat caps. The things you can manipulate before recruiting them are their starting Stats and their 3rd and 4th skills.

ohlawd

Because the parents are the ones that decide what classes and stats the kid will have. Tons of classes man, kinda hard to make a detailed guide on what's best since they're all different.

If you really want a FE:A for dummies guide, here it is.

Give Galeforce to Owain, Brady and Inigo.

Can your female unit reclass into a Dark Flier? Do it.
If not, bench them but if they learn Sage? Do that. Or alternatively, do Sorcerer.

For males, leave them as Sage or Sorcerer.

Give them all forged Celica's Gale or Waste. Pair up Dark Fliers and Sages/Sorcerers appropriately. Be way of units with no Armsthrift as you could see their forged weapons slowly deteriorate.

That's it.

Draxal

Because the parents are the ones that decide what classes and stats the kid will have. Tons of classes man, kinda hard to make a detailed guide on what's best since they're all different.

If you really want a FE:A for dummies guide, here it is.

Give Galeforce to Owain, Brady and Inigo. Give Dual Support + to Laurent/Gerome. Give one of lancebreaker or deliverer to Yarne

Can your female unit reclass into a Dark Flier? Do it.
If not, bench them but if they learn Sage? Do that. Or alternatively, do Sorcerer.

For males, leave them as Sage or Sorcerer.

Give them all forged Celica's Gale or Waste or Nosferatu ... or Aversa's night if you have armsthrift and luck over 50 . Pair up Dark Fliers and Sages/Sorcerers appropriately. Be way of units with no Armsthrift as you could see their forged weapons slowly deteriorate.

That's it.

My additions in bold.

ohlawd

Just do Deliverer for Yarne.
1) lol Beast Killers
2) TSON and Lunatic+ in general has Hawkeye. That skill laughs at your -breaker.

Forget about Nosferatu or AN unless you're using a tank Sorcerer build that decimates on enemy turns.

All this stuff strictly for later DLC.

In-game, Sorcerer and Nos/AN are all you need to cheese the game.

Anteo

To further clarify:

The Starting class for any kid is fixed. The classes they can change to (read: use second seal) depends on their parents.

The max stats of the kids depend of their parents. Each unit have a modifier to their max stats.
For example, Lissa's modifiers are:
Str -2, Mag +2, Skl -1, Spd 0, Lck 2, Def -1, Res +1

So with maxed stats she will have 1 more Str than Maribelle asuming both are in the same class
(Maribelle modifier to Str is -3)

The kids inherit this modifiers, the final modifiers for the kids is the sum of the parents modifiers +1 (If morgan is a 3rd gen kid, he/she won't get the +1). If you marry Lissa with Vaike:
Vaike's Modifiers
Str +3, Mag -2, Skl +1, Spd +1, Lck-1, Def 0, Res -2

You would get
Str +2, Mag +1, Skl +1, Spd +2, Lck +2, Def 0, Res0

So knowing this, and knowing the classes that the parents pass down to their child, you can try to pair characters to get the best possible kid.

A usefull calculator

Draxal

To further clarify:

The Starting class for any kid is fixed. The classes they can change to (read: use second seal) depends on their parents.

The max stats of the kids depend of their parents. Each unit have a modifier to their max stats.
For example, Lissa's modifiers are:
Str -2, Mag +2, Skl -1, Spd 0, Lck 2, Def -1, Res +1

So at max level she will have 1 more Str than Maribelle asuming both are in the same class
(Maribelle modifier to Str is -3)

The kids inherit this modifiers, the final modifiers for the kids is the sum of the parents modifiers +1 (If morgan is a 3rd gen kid, he won't get the +1). If you marry Lissa with Vaike:
Vaike's Modifiers
Str +3, Mag -2, Skl 1, Spd 1, Lck-1, Def 0, Res -2

You would get
Str +2, Mag +1, Skl +1, Spd +2, Lck +2, Def 0, Res0

So knowing this, and knowing the classes that the parents pass down to their child, you can try to pair characters to get the best possible kid.

Not going to lie when put like that it does seem rather intimidating to read. Corn just gives us your avatar's str/weakness/gender and who you married Chrom off to. Somebody could whip you up a quick guide afterwards.

Just do Deliverer for Yarne.
1) lol Beast Killers
2) TSON and Lunatic+ in general has Hawkeye. That skill laughs at your -breaker.

Deliverer is a good skill but it sucks for Yarne most of the time as he's better off as a supporter than anything else. There's really no good skill that Panne hands him (worst mom for a son confirmed).

Just did the hotspring DLC. Do you not get a special conversation between your avatar and your spouse in this? I saw a video on youtube where the player had a special convo between the avatar and Owain (S rank) which is different from the one I had with Owain (S ranked with Gerome).

I tried playing the map again just with FeMU/Gerome deployed and I can't seem to get any conversation out of them at all. Is there a requirement you have to fulfill in the map for the conversation to become available?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Conversations differ a bit if you are married to Cordelia, Tharja, Chrom, Gaius, Severa, Lucina, Inigo, or Owain.

There are specific combinations for the conversations, you can't chat with everyone. For example, the avatar will only have conversations with the 4 winners of that dlc.

ohlawd

lol here, just do this.

Chrom x Olivia (pass Galeforce)
Lissa x Libra (pass Galeforce)
Maribelle x Henry (pass Galeforce)
Sully x Donnel (pass Aptitude or Counter - leaning towards Aptitude. Kjelle has no use for Counter as she learns both Aegis, Pavise, Sol.... she should never need it but it's the two best options)
Sumia x Frederick (last pairing left for Sumia)
Cordelia x Lon'qu
Cherche x Vaike (pass Dual Support+)
Panne x Gregor (Pass Deliverer or if you really want, Lancebreaker to deal with Beast Killers)
Miriel x Ricken (Pass Dual Support+)
Tharja x Gaius
Nowi x Kellam (Keep Nah as a Manakete or General with Helswath)

Guess you can do Sumia x MU if you want. MaMU can make any kid good.

For FeMU, she's not as flexible a parent as the MaMU. She's stuck with Chrom or a 2nd gen male to produce a 3rd gen Male Morgan.

Deliverer is a good skill but it sucks for Yarne most of the time as he's better off as a supporter than anything else.

Deliverer IS meant to be a support skill :p

Yarne strength shouldn' be wasted on support...tho that depends on the parent/setup.

Yarne needs Armsthrift imo. He's dead weight without it.

Draxal

Just did the hotspring DLC. Do you not get a special conversation between your avatar and your spouse in this? I saw a video on youtube where the player had a special convo between the avatar and Owain (S rank) which is different from the one I had with Owain (S ranked with Gerome).

I tried playing the map again just with FeMU/Gerome deployed and I can't seem to get any conversation out of them at all. Is there a requirement you have to fulfill in the map for the conversation to become available?

It's only for Owain/Inigo/Severa/Lucina has they were the top two of each gender for that poll (as they announce when the battle starts).

Deliverer IS meant to be a support skill :p

Deliverer isn't a great support skill as for him as he needs to be lead unit to benefit from the + movement, and he doesn't benefit from the the + movement in his best class (berserker) as much as it does for a flier.

ffdgh

Hmm Can't deny that for him and others without it. I love my forged armsthrift Alm's blade(20mt) and Hector's axe(22mt) Yarne <3

Edit: Oh yeah forgot about about dual strikes....carry on then.

Draxal

Yarne strength shouldn' be wasted on support...tho that depends on the parent/setup.

His str and Gerome's str are actually pretty great at support units. They hit really hard in the dual strike part and you don't have to worry about him getting attacked.

Gvaz

Banned
CAN'T. STOOOOOP. PLAAAAYING.

BDXE2bpCYAEICg8.jpg

Unlike the cakewalk Normal run, this one was beset with problems. Had lots of trouble in Chapter 6, died in Chapters 11 and 13, ran out of money twice while trying to buy/forge better tomes and had to restart against Grima at least ten times.

Also, I think the clock only shows the time at your last save point before Grima; since that fight took about four or so minutes (thanks unskippable animations!), it's more like 1:33.

Lunatic is most certainly going to require grinding DLC/Challenges to get max stats for both Chrom and Avatar, which will likely cause the time to go way up. Will shoot for two hours but I doubt that's going to happen.

An hour and a half? What?

Gvaz

Banned
You see those red units that keep popping up on the map? There. Also spotpass and dlc.

They're not really red. They're more of a reddish purple.

Buy Reeking Boxes, use them on top of world map locales, the enemies will always be a few levels higher than the original story map, so I wouldn't recommend opening one on top of a zone you just beat.

Reeking Boxes cost 500 on normal, and give you 2000 gold. Reeking Boxes on hard cost 4800 and only give you 1000 gold, 2000g if you're lucky.

demidar

Reeking Boxes cost 500 on normal, and give you 2000 gold. Reeking Boxes on hard cost 4800 and only give you 1000 gold, 2000g if you're lucky.

Wut. Normal really is easy...

Playing on Hard so grinding is a bit more difficult. Reeking boxes are out of the question so I'm relegated to Spotpass battles which are okay, especially since you can buy stuff from them as well. Battles are also scaled up due to being on Hard mode but it's okay, all of my most used units are in promoted class. The only thing you have to worry about is breaking weapons but event squares sometimes yield heroic weapons.

Oh I was wondering how procs are rolled. Was thinking about stuffing my avatar full of proc skills, Astra, Sol, Lethality, Ignis and Luna.

Oh I was wondering how procs are rolled. Was thinking about stuffing my avatar full of proc skills, Astra, Sol, Lethality, Ignis and Luna.

This is a very bad idea. Different skills have different priority than other skills. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but most of the time you'd get Ignis over anything else, at least.

demidar

This is a very bad idea. Different skills have different priority than other skills. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but most of the time you'd get Ignis over anything else, at least.

I know that only one proc can happen and happens independently of critical strikes, but I'm more in it for the novelty. Getting a proc almost every attack is hilarious to me.

Nope, you'll only get trash like Ignis if the better skills don't activate.

Lethality > Aether > Astra > Sol > Luna > Ignis > Vengeance

Top Bottom