• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

KePoW

Banned
How realistic is it to get through Lunatic without losing characters?

I've only played on Normal & Hard, and for Hard I had to reload a decent number of times.

Wondering if Lunatic is worth trying, but I don't like losing the story characters because I love the support conversations and personalities.

Busaiku

How realistic is it to get through Lunatic without losing characters?

I've only played on Normal & Hard, and for Hard I had to reload a decent number of times.

Wondering if Lunatic is worth trying, but I don't like losing the story characters because I love the support conversations and personalities.

Be prepared to reset a lot.

PBalfredo

So what's the best way to get a Dark Mage/Sorceror(ess) with Armsthrift? Cause I want a character that can use Mire and Aversa's Night all day, erryday!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the best way to get a Dark Mage/Sorceror(ess) with Armsthrift? Cause I want a character that can use Mire and Aversa's Night all day, erryday!

You can buy Mire from a spotpass team, I think.

Cordelia/Severa will get it by default since Cordelia has Mercenary and Dark Mage, but her magic growth is pretty terrible.

Aside from that, you just need to marry a character with Mercenary to a character with Dark Mage. Also, if Vaike has a daughter, he will pass Mercenary to her.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
65rMSki.jpg

This made me lol. There is another one that is better translated for the North American version and doesn't look like it was taken with a camera, but at the same time it looks like it was made with crayons.

http://i.imgur.com/8l0mGWf.jpg

McNum

I still kind of wish there was a playable Soldier class in the game with a Sentinel/General promotion. (Because Sentinel sounds better than Halberdier.) I've even thought long enough about it to come up with a set of skills it should have had:

"Dodge +10" and "Phalanx" (Avoid +10 per adjacent ally) for Soldier and "Impale" (4x damage, can critical, Skill/2 activation rate) and "Nihil" (Negates enemy combat skills) for Sentinel. Impale would be better than Luna and Astra, so it would need a lower activation rate. Especially considering a critical would be 12x damage. Would make Solder/Sentinel a somewhat defensive build, and Nihil is one of those skills you won't really miss, except when you're suddenly facing an enemy with Counter or Lethality.

But I just want my non-Great Lord on foot spear user who isn't a Knight.

PBalfredo

You can buy Mire from a spotpass team, I think.

Cordelia/Severa will get it by default since Cordelia has Mercenary and Dark Mage, but her magic growth is pretty terrible.

Aside from that, you just need to marry a character with Mercenary to a character with Dark Mage. Also, if Vaike has a daughter, he will pass Mercenary to her.

How many characters pass along Dark Mage as an inherited class to their children? Robin, Tharja, Cordielia, Miriel and Henry, right? Am I missing any?

Draxal

I still kind of wish there was a playable Soldier class in the game with a Sentinel/General promotion. (Because Sentinel sounds better than Halberdier.) I've even thought long enough about it to come up with a set of skills it should have had:

"Dodge +10" and "Phalanx" (Avoid +10 per adjacent ally) for Soldier and "Impale" (4x damage, can critical, Skill/2 activation rate) and "Nihil" (Negates enemy combat skills) for Sentinel. Impale would be better than Luna and Astra, so it would need a lower activation rate. Especially considering a critical would be 12x damage. Would make Solder/Sentinel a somewhat defensive build, and Nihil is one of those skills you won't really miss, except when you're suddenly facing an enemy with Counter or Lethality.

Bride !

But yeah i'd settle with having soldier as a special class with lancefaire as one of its abilities as well as having priate with axefaire as one of its abilities.

It is odd that Nihil isn't a skill in this game especially since how important skills are. Would want.

McNum

Bride !

But yeah i'd settle with having soldier as a special class with lancefaire as one of its abilities as well as having priate with axefaire as one of its abilities.
Well, part of it is that I want Nihil back, too. Should probably make a couple of skills exempt even from Nihil, maybe just have it guard against conditional skills and not passive ones. Also it's sad that Nephenee has to be a Knight in the spotpass content.

I am thinking that Cordelia's end class will be Bride, once she gets Lancefaire, and maybe give the Manaketes a dip there for Bond or something. Passive healing is nice.
It is odd that Nihil isn't a skill in this game especially since how important skills are. Would want.
I think that's exactly why it's not there. In Radiant Dawn, you either had Nihil for a few of the last boss fights, our you stayed way out of range for the fight. Black Knight's Eclipse would outright flatten people and the final boss reflected damage back on your with a half-strength Counter.

I would be okay if it was limited to a Parity skill, though. Choose to fight without the use of skills or terrain modifiers.

zroid

Banned
WHAT

YUUUUURRRROOOOOOPPPPPP

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┻

I think that's exactly why it's not there. In Radiant Dawn, you either had Nihil for a few of the last boss fights, our you stayed way out of range for the fight. Black Knight's Eclipse would outright flatten people and the final boss reflected damage back on your with a half-strength Counter.

I would be okay if it was limited to a Parity skill, though. Choose to fight without the use of skills or terrain modifiers.

It could be regulated as a skill% skill. Sometimes it activates, sometimes you get killed, lol.

PBalfredo

Now to figure out the other half of my breeding formula, how many first gen characters have access to Mercenary? Just Robin, Donnel and Gregor?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Impale sounds a little broken since it can crit. Would be very easy to abuse on an avatar, his kid, or spotpass/DLC character in combination with other skills. I think something like a "Rapid Strike" skill would work, which would basically make your weapon into a brave weapon when it activates - you hit twice at full damage and can crit, and each strike has a chance at a dual strike. Skills can't activate though, and like brave weapons it does deplete the weapon with each hit. Skill% at activation, Aether is skill/2 and this is not really as powerful due to no extra effects on each hit.

Nihil would be a nice addition, but a pure Nihil skill seems like it might break the game. Agree that Parity might work better just from a balance perspective, even though it's obviously not as good.

It could be regulated as a skill% skill. Sometimes it activates, sometimes you get killed, lol.

Thought about that. Or have it work 100% of the time, but it only works on active skills and not passive ones (so counter still works, but you would be safe from lethality, astra, etc).

McNum

Having a chance that your weapon acts as a Brave Weapon is weaker than Astra, though. But I guess a 12x damage hit, even if it's not that likely, is pretty broken. It's basically death by severe three digit damage. A plain 4x damage hit might be better, especially if Nihil is there.

Although if Rapid Strike would stack with a Brave Weapon's double hit already... A theoretical 8 hits. That'd be something.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The benefit of Rapid Strike would primarily be the usage of brave weapons, plus the added possibility of dual strikes.

Two maxed, limit broken characters with brave weapons, lead unit has rapid strike, you've got a solid chance of getting 24 hits in.

In that case it would be better than Astra, and arguably call for a skill/2 activation rate. Though without brave weapons and very good dual strike rates it's clearly worse than astra.

Synless

Ok, I picked this up from the BB sale and have never played this series before. What are some things I should know before I start? Any gameplay tips. The only tactics style game like this that I have ever played was FFT (which I loved).

Neiteio

Oh man.

The S-rank for Yarne and Fem Morgan.

So good.

SO GOOD.

On another note, you guys were totally right about Cynthia X Gerome being best.

IceIpor

The benefit of Rapid Strike would primarily be the usage of brave weapons, plus the added possibility of dual strikes.

Two maxed, limit broken characters with brave weapons, lead unit has rapid strike, you've got a solid chance of getting 24 hits in.

You mean like "Adept", from previous FEs?

Chrom

Ok, I picked this up from the BB sale and have never played this series before. What are some things I should know before I start? Any gameplay tips. The only tactics style game like this that I have ever played was FFT (which I loved).

Frederick. Use him sparingly, if ever.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You mean like "Adept", from previous FEs?

Exactly. Not sure how I forgot about that being in previous games.

Frederick is really strong at the beginning because he's already promoted. Consider him to be level 21. You primarily want to use him in emergencies and as pair up fodder early on because your other characters will grow a lot faster. Won't take long for the rest of units to catch up to him.

Unless you want to grind, focus on a core party of characters. Later chapters let you use around 12 or 15 units I think.

Reclassing, inheritance, and all that is complicated. Ignore the discussion of that stuff in this topic and just do whatever on your first playthrough, on normal and hard difficulties you don't need to take advantage of those systems to be able to beat the game, it's more important for the later, more difficult DLC. Once you have a better understanding of the game you can do a more optimal playthrough.

Noted. Also, I keep seeing people mention teams in here, what is that all about?

Spotpass teams, I assume? You can call some characters from previous games onto the world map and interact with them (fight, buy equipment, recruit).

I don't even want to try Lunatic/Classic, it would be a succession of one round resets.

Yeah, a lot of resets, but when you get to the Outrealm DLC stuff, you can do some stuff there to give you more breathing room like EXPonential Growth - it helps me a lot even though I don't like to grind too much. Sorry if someone has mentioned this before!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the deal with Tharja x MU (+mag, - res)?

Tharja doesn't seem to have access to Galeforce. What's she good for passing down?

Dark Mage? Pair her with a father who will pass down sage but not dark mage and give a decent (or at least not negative) mag cap. Would make for a good Sorcerer Noire.

Or pair her with Gaius, Donnel, or MU to give her Galeforce.

Tharja doesn't seem to have access to Galeforce. What's she good for passing down?

Eh, whatever you want really. Since you are pairing her up with the MU, the kids will basically have access to every female class so if you end up wanting something, you could always just grind for it.

Tharja's kid starts as an archer so you could pass down Lifetaker for the healing.

Draxal

Since the kids will be female it doesn't really matter what skill to pass down, it's usually the opposite gender parent that has to pass down an exclusive skill. If you had to pass from Tharja, I'd suggest Luna, so you don't have to go the Great Knight tree on Noire and Morgan. For MU you could pass down Counter or Zeal.

Draxal

Why not Dual Guard+ instead of Luna? DG+ is a great skill as well and it's lvl 15 instead of lvl 5 Luna.

In all honesty because while it's a great skill it's a support skill, the children of the mu are not going to be supporters, luna is probably the best damage skill unless you go vantage/wrath (which she can't pass vantage, and you're goign to get get wrath no matter what).

ohlawd

No, I just said that to keep the grinding of GK to a minimum.

Iunno about you but I had all the children of my MU go through ALL their available classes. Why? Don't ask me >_>

Luna is the best offensive skill in the game, bar none. I love that skill man, the rest of you need to love it too.

Loving the characters and their dialogue in this game. "Don't speak her name!" is a wonderful track and I loved playing the mission that featured that music. Wish there were more maps with that music but I guess maybe not since that gave the map a unique feel that began the final vengeful push towards the Plegian army.

Top Bottom