• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates' localization doesn't have the petting minigame

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulapik

While the English version of Fates still includes many relationship-building activities by way of robust castle functionality, Nintendo confirmed to me that petting is 100 percent out. A rep explained while also defending the original intent of the Japanese version:

“Yes, that is the case. You might have heard somewhat misinterpreted or exaggerated information about the Japanese original game, but even in the Japanese original version, we have not included any features which are considered inappropriate in Japan.”

I asked Nintendo for more information about specific changes—especially in regard to Soleil and other romances that take potentially localization-unfriendly turns—but Nintendo didn’t want to spoil specifics. They did, however, once again offer that making changes in the name of localization is not unusual, and that it’s happened with many of their games in the past.

http://kotaku.com/the-english-versi...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

BiggNife

I have no issues with this but I fully expect a gamergate shitstorm in about ten seconds

Expect to see lots of people blaming Allison Rapp even though she has nothing to do with localization

KarmaCow

On the one hand we're literally getting the less of the game.

But on the other, the petting shit was weird as fuck.

Wait...petting? As in, petting the characters?

There was a mode where you could tap character faces as they reacted to your "touch" on the bottom screen. Pokemon had this if you've played that.

rhandino

Banned
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSS!!!

percheD for the meltdowns!!!

X7HPWll.gif

I'm not usually the kind of person who says, "good" when things get are removed. That being said, I think the game is better for it. Didn't want to have to do this if it was required for min/maxing. Found it odd.

Ridley327

No surprise, since it was never featured in any of the footage of the game that Nintendo showed off in the west, even before the localization was finalized. Importers made it sound like it was a fairly inessential feature, too, so there's not much loss here beyond the incoming concern trolling.

Draxal

Thought that it was very likely that it was going to be taken out, but the ! mark in the recent amiibo video had me thinking that it might be in as that triggered a petting session in the Japanese release.

There was no way they could get all the voice actors to voice that stuff in the western release, just too much work for not enough payoff, and the petting stuff is incredibly boring in practice.

Eolz

So, which content will be cut next?
Harder and harder to justify their localization choices.

Guess it's the (ok) fantranslation and import for some people now.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Well that's odd. I understand not making it on the game cart but why not have it available as a DLC patch for those who want it?

KarmaCow

I'm not usually the kind of person who says, "good" when things get are removed. That being said, I think the game is better for it. Didn't want to have to do this if it was required for min/maxing. Found it odd.

Wait it actually affected stats? That's awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom