• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates' localization doesn't have the petting minigame

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggNife

Because she's a Treehouse employee who is a known feminist and GGers repeatedly attacked her for being the source of the "censorship" in Xenoblade X and Bravely Second despite not working on either of those games - In fact, her job isn't localization at all and she had no factor in those decisions

BTA

But she's not the only woman that works in the Treehouse. I know I shouldn't expect any sort of logic from those people, but that would be weird even for them.

She's openly a feminist, so of course they're going to aim for her. So there's the logic. It's shitty, harmful logic, but it exists.

Mortemis

Banned
I don't really think of this as thinning the game. One convo for a character and a creepy ass mini game aren't that big of a chunk of the game.

Maybe now we can talk about the actual game, and stop pretending that Fire Emblem is some kind of Dating Simulation?

If only.

No petting minigame!?

tumblr_nxvzznnN6r1rdybd2o1_400.gif

Sorian

Banned
This looks more silly/goofy to me than creepy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My thought as well. I'd heard people complaining about this for awhile, I thought it was actually something more. At least the magic powder drugging thing could actually be construed as creepy. This mini-game just seems fairly stupid.

Draxal

I'm fine with changes, but I'm really not a fan of content outright getting cut out.

I guess... even though I hate the content itself. Just feels iffy.

To make this content work in the states would take alot of effort for no payoff.

You'd have to rewrite all the lines, when this game's script is already incredibly large.

Then you'd have to negotiate with the actors/resses to dub those lines.

All for a minimal payoff.

Needs more blushing.

Can I pet 8-Ball?

TriAceJP

It's hilarious and really showed the weird anime trope slope Fire Emblem went down in recent years.

All it does is raise affection stats so it isn't too useful but damn me if my girlfriend and I didn't laugh our asses off rubbing peoples faces while they looked absolutely puzzled.

You guys are no fun.

I'm against changes like this, generally. Out of principle. But at this point, we know that this is what Nintendo does, and I'm less annoyed at it than I thought it would be. If you want games from Nintendo, this is just how it is.

I'm sure the game will be fine without it and it seems like the majority is in favor if it. I can just rub my Vita if I want that kind of stuff!

nothing i love more than seeing creepy anime fans whining and misusing the word "censorship"
It is "censorship." Not governmental censorship which should usually be seen with distrust, but it is self-censorship. And that kind of censorship is fine.

In this case, I'd even say it's great.

woopWOOP

Aw. It was really silly and pretty creepy, but I atleast wanted to try it once.

My Arthur will now forever be unpetted :[

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
You'd have to dub a ton of shit, that the voice actors/tresses might not want to do.

The dubbing should go as far as expressing "oooh" or "ahhhh".... I'm sure that's not the point.

Oh well, it is what it is but I want my Beach DLC!

Shameful.

Nyoro SF

Everyone called it. Won't miss it but I think the snip-snip is silly.

Does it matter for something you might spend 5 minutes on tops

What I was thinking, rather a silly unneeded feature, but still, removing it robbed us of some joy of the voice actors trying to trip their way over the lines though

Majukun

Considering

A) It was unisex
B) You couldn't touch any "sensitive" areas

I always had a hard time understanding why people cared about this at all. Like usually even if I don't care at all about a thing, I can understand why others might care one way or the other. Here I never understood it. Why does anyone care about this? Why is the default reaction to this being a thing that existed not just "shrug whatever"?

yep,same for me
can't understand why someone would want that in but also can't understand why someone would want that out

FluxWaveZ

To make this content work in the states would take alot of effort for no payoff.

You'd have to rewrite all the lines, when this game's script is already incredibly large.

Then you'd have to negotiate with the actors/resses for the line.

That goes for literally any perceived "minor" content in a game. What, do you suggest that small, rather meaningless mini-games in Japanese developed games should just get erased during the localization process because it's "too much effort for minimal payoff"? There's absolutely an argument for removing this, but that one is weak as hell.

Ahahahahahaha oh god I was joking.

They actually did it...

I'm eagerly looking forward to the dumpster fire that is Fire Emblem Fates threads about changes until the European release.

Edit: Oh wait, there isn't as much fire happening over this change as there was about the last one. I'm surprised.

jonjonaug

What did this petting mechanic actually do for your units in the Japanese version?

Did it affect any stats? Affection level? Etc?

I'm curious about this too. It seems like a way to game the system, particularly with the Conquest version of the game preventing grinding and certain characters having their development progress differently during the game if their support level is high enough from what I've heard. Or are there still ways to raise support/affection levels outside of combat besides this?

EDIT: Looking over that sentence again it's sort of unintelligable. What I mean is that this was my impression of the game from what I've read about it.

1. The Conquest side of the game limits/prohibits grinding. Meaning that you have limited opportunity to raise support levels.
2. Some characters can have bad things happen to them if their support level with the Avatar isn't high enough.
3. The face rubbing minigame can raise support level outside of combat.

Are there alternatives to #3 so that I can prevent #2 in Conquest if I don't use that character enough?

Sblargh

Banned
lol @ the kind of news this game generates.

I'm half-expecting the next news will be like: "Nintendo has confirmed that Fire Emblem Fates' localization will no longer contain the scenes of scat and canibalization, which were rendered in detail both graphically and in text on the original game"

BTA

Then you'd have to negotiate with the actors/resses to dub those lines.

And again, to do it right (or maybe at all, depending on how it's implemented?) you'd need to record all that dialogue in a specific mic setup to get binaural audio, so it'd be even more of an undertaking.

Village

This thing seemed a hell of a lot more goofy, than the date rape thing... that... that was bad. And the pat thing was unisex and stuff, but ey i'm not loosing sleep over this.

Pezking

I don't consider this censorship, because there are a lot of valid reasons for the removal. Most western players would have found the petting just weird. Maybe it would even have hurt sales numbers.

That being said, I like weird and "dumb" stuff in games, and I'm not easily creeped out by weirdness. So I'm a bit disappointed that we won't receive the uncut original version of the game.

Uh, wasn't this kind of important for character stat growth and stuff?

Might have to cancel my SE preorder if they're seriously going to be removing content like that.

Ahahahahahaha oh god I was joking.

They actually did it...

I'm eagerly looking forward to the dumpster fire that is Fire Emblem Fates threads about changes until the European release.

Edit: Oh wait, there isn't as much fire happening over this change as there was about the last one. I'm surprised.

Yeah, the people upset about this and the Soleil change are the vocal minority. Once the game is out, the rest of us will be too busy enjoying the fuck out of it to care.

What do we get in return?

The ability to play the game in English.

Korigama

Can't say I really care about this omission. Seemed rather oddly out of place to begin with (not even offensive, just strange and superfluous).

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Honestly this make me more excited for the game.

Same. I'm usually against changing games by removing content but on this one I'm perfectly fine with it being gone.

Yes I know that makes me a hypocrite. But in this case I'm okay with the label.

sensui-tomo

Does it matter for something you might spend 5 minutes on tops

Yes because the cheap ass in me cant abide in knowing there is a version with more content elsewhere. I can just import the japanese version though because there is a translation project already in way, they got the 2 routes done (working on 3rd route and dialog with units). It'd be like if FFX HD came out and we got the NA release while europe and japan get the International content. (now thats more than a stupid mini game) but its the principle that counts, If they make a new mini game however in its place that'd be fine as its now got new content in place of old content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom