• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates' localization doesn't have the petting minigame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone who has played the Japanese version surmises that it's been cut for voice acting costs, not because of content. Apparently a ton of voice acting is available in the Amie mode.

Shame to see it go though.

this is gonna be like the fatal frame thread where some claim to like this and don't give a shit about the game lmao

EleGiggle.png

Seems like a weird feature in the first place. What exactly did it have to do with Fire Emblem? I mean, there were enough complaints about the "waifu simulator" aspects (personally, I really enjoyed the relationship building stuff) but this is a bit over the top.

I don't even look at it as a censorship thing even though that is most certainly Nintendo's reasoning behind it. My reasoning behind it is that it probably should not have been a part of the game in the first place.

Tohsaka

it's nintendo cutting content they think will put people off from their own game.

and that's fine because it's shit. cutting shitty content will never be a bad idea, too many games are bloated with excess junk anyway.

I think it's more like they didn't want to spend money paying the dub voice actors to record all that extra dialogue.

Draxal

Without a doubt, but in some ways the context is different. Even the creators have admitted to changing the dialogue to fit more with "modern" tastes. The focus was a tad different than what FE4 was doing. The Avatar also personalizes it, making it so that you yourself are finding a wife/husband, thus playing up to the player a bit more.

However, I'm ultimately agreeing with you. Marriage has been in almost every game since four, since characters often got married at the end of the game. Children were present before, and technically even FE6 was about the children of pairings from FE7. Definitely all things that have existed before. The difference, however, is how it's been focused on, the tone in which it's being used, and the ways the game emphasizes relationships is far different than it's been in previous games. This is where the contention is. People just haphazardly attribute it to the specific mechanic, not how that specific mechanic is executed.

I actually think the Avatar's a great touch, the lords in these series are generally 15-18 year old males, by including the avatar we're able to include both genders and make the game more inclusive.

However ... the avatar was introduced in FE7 (albeit non playable form), and not 12, and there's definetly a self insert fandom there with Marc/Lyn.

I thnk you already see the point I'm trying to make, and I do understand your point (and hell if you look in the community thread ... I'm for the change as I think it's very much linked to the perception that this series is pandering).

It is clock based, actually. You can do a lot of stuff in your base without ever having to fight.

Derp, you're definitely right.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
They should have made it optional, or give the fans who want to use it some way to access it. It's something that I'd use for 10 minutes and then ignore, but some people enjoy this kind of stuff.

Edit: Actually, not wanting to dub the lines is a pretty good reason, and Nintendo would never use the original Japanese VA's even if they included face petting as an unlockable.

redcrayon

I just hope that removing large swathes of content from games doesn't become a trend. Rather people just ignore optional content they don't like instead of advocating for its removal.
Does this minigame really count as 'large swathes of content' out of a game where the meat of it is three 30 hour+ SRPG campaigns? Sure, it's something being removed, but it's not exactly a 'large' part of the game.

I can't say I'm bothered either way if they include it or not in the EU version, really. It seems innocent enough (if a bit odd), but if it's included I'll probably try it once out of curiosity then ignore it, as it really isn't why I play Fire Emblem. There's three campaigns to play, that's more than enough actual game for me without worrying about 'content' like petting my troops. The troops I like get promoted and equipped with better gear, that should be reward enough for them!

Javier

I'd actually love to see this, purely for the full 'localization' effect.
Honestly, if they are going to cut a feature, at least give us some sort of replacement so that the gameplay feature is not gone completely. Cutting the whole thing with no way to compensate is just BS.

TriAceJP

Someone who has played the Japanese version surmises that it's been cut for voice acting costs, not because of content. Apparently a ton of voice acting is available in the Amie mode.

Every character has multiple lines of dialog, so yeah. There's quite a bit.

Ridley327

I think that was also the same reason why Tetra's Trackers was dropped from the western release of Four Swords Adventures, so it's not new territory for Nintendo

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

That makes the most sense.

I would rather it not be in the game in the field place. I hope all versions of future games do away with it. Just like I want all future Monolith Soft games in all regions not to have revealing swimsuits be a valuable for 13 year-olds.

Greddleok

this is gonna be like the fatal frame thread where some claim to like this and don't give a shit about the game lmao

EleGiggle.png

I care a ton about Fates. Fire Emblem is one of my favourite series ever, and while loss of this (it's not censorship, come the fuck on) isn't a deal breaker, I was really looking forward to some weird anime antics.

aeolist

Banned
You mean localization efforts? Int System didn't (presumably) decide to cut this.

There's a difference between devs cutting stuff for whatever reason, and localization changing things for a different region.

Not saying its inherently good/bad or passing judgement, but it's not the same thing.

nintendo owns everything about this, it's their game. fire emblem is a collaborative effort between int sys and nintendo. they're cutting bad content from their own game.

Funny how this same argument works against you as well.

the question was "why can't i have what i want" and i wouldn't be whining about this still being in the game if they'd left it. i would just say "well they made a game that has something i don't want in it". there wouldn't be any room to make the argument that they were in any way obligated to cut it, the way people are saying it's somehow wrong or immoral for them now.

Honestly, if we're going this far, NOA should remove all manaketes from the game as they are a thousand times more offensive than face petting.

The picking and choosing of what dumb offensive content remains and what dumb offensive content stays is very annoying to me.

Then stop supporting them?

while we at it, is this game getting dual langagues?

Every character has multiple lines of dialog, so yeah. There's quite a bit.

I can confirm that there's a ridiculous amount of dialogue.

I think that was also the same reason why Tetra's Trackers was dropped from the western release of Four Swords Adventures, so it's not new territory for Nintendo

Yeah, this is the vibe I've been getting from those I know who've played the Japanese version.

This is a cost cut. Still sad, because I believe some of the extra same-sex intimacy was only available in petting mode.

while we at it, is this game getting dual langagues?

I don't remember Nintendo of America clarifying that.

This actually makes it worse.

Now aside from the mini-game itself interesting VA dialogue is gone too.

Good job NoA!

Unfortunately, I don't think most other people have considered it, either. Everyone's so quick to say "fuck that, it's creepy and I don't need it," and yeah, I understand that the feature can be kind of weird, and I understand how it can seem unnecessary to straight individuals who already have the option to marry any character of the opposite sex, but it's so much more limited for people who are attracted to the same sex. I thought having this mini game was really cool because it allowed them to include intimacy between characters of all genders separate from the marriage feature so there'd be no need for controversy over gay marriage, but apparently this petting feature is even more controversial than that. I mean, that's cool that the extremely limited instances of gay marriage in the game are being accepted so well, but LGBT individuals are still getting the short end of the stick here. We could have had it better, but nope, gotta remove that bonus content from the localization just because people bitched about it. =/
I wish some people in this thread could see it this way but most just think it's "panty shots" on girls.

Well that's seems lame.

aeolist

Banned
I hope you realize that this completely rely on your tastes, and you wouldn't agree with someone saying the same towards the removal of content you liked.

i wouldn't respond to it the way that people are responding to this. i wouldn't be calling it censorship, because it isn't.

a developer removing something i liked from their work would be disappointing, sure, but i would have no claim to ownership or any level of control that would push me to act the way people are acting about this. it's absurd.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, this is the vibe I've been getting from those I know who've played the Japanese version.

This is a cost cut. Still sad, because I believe some of the extra same-sex intimacy was only available in petting mode.

They did a cost cutting move on FE? I thought FE due to Awakening was now one of the bigger franchises on the 3DS.

L95

TBH, I bet it's a little bit of both, there is a lot of VA for the feature, way more than Awakening's confessions. (And this game also has confessions, separately from said minigame)

GamerJM

Banned

This makes sense. On one hand it's not good to see these kinds of changes made from localization projects (I still want Tetra's Trackers to this day), on another hand I'm glad we get these games localized at all (see FE12), so if these are the kind of changes that have to be made in order to get the game out on a budget then that's perfectly fine.

This is getting worse! I really can't be on side on the side who okay with this change now.

Neiteio

Unfortunately, I don't think most other people have considered it, either. Everyone's so quick to say "fuck that, it's creepy and I don't need it," and yeah, I understand that the feature can be kind of weird, and I understand how it can seem unnecessary to straight individuals who already have the option to marry any character of the opposite sex, but it's so much more limited for people who are attracted to the same sex. I thought having this mini game was really cool because it allowed them to include intimacy between characters of all genders separate from the marriage feature so there'd be no need for controversy over gay marriage, but apparently this petting feature is even more controversial than that. I mean, that's cool that the extremely limited instances of gay marriage in the game are being accepted so well, but LGBT individuals are still getting the short end of the stick here. We could have had it better, but nope, gotta remove that bonus content from the localization just because people bitched about it. =/
I suspect NOA is nervous about controversy over a male protag touching male characters. It's one thing for there to be a few LGBT relationships in the story, but the visuals and interactive elements of physically touching those characters' faces is where hate groups could drum up some kind of controversy, i.e. "Nintendo pushes gay agenda" coupled with footage of face-touching. So NOA just removes it altogether.

I really doubt they were concerned whether people would be creeped out by male-female relationships in a game.

At any rate, this is 2015. They shouldn't be worrying about these things.

But was the "petting minigame" the only way to see the models at any time?

Honestly, I don't care about the act of petting itself, but I want to be able to look at the models whenever I want.

I'm the guy who started a thread on model viewers in games, you may recall!

So I wish they wouldn't censor the game like this. Rather than cut it altogether, maybe they could modify it so you just talk and don't... uh, touch.

(This won't happen) but it would be nice if they gave us a "first person option" for viewing conversations involving Corrin ala Ace Attorney.
Though in Fire Emblem 15, I hope they keep the standard portrait formats, but make live models/sprites and animate them like in the Ace Attorney Investigation games.

tumblr_inline_ntq195hPkh1s2ar8w_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom