• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Switch announced, 2018, zero other details

2018. Meanwhile a new 3ds game announced for May. Great timing for announcement too. Very focused strategy here, Nintendo.

I think it's fairly obvious what their strategy is. You can get a 2DS for $99 and the install base is large, so Nintendo will continue to support it for another 12-18 months. This is exactly what they did with GBA when DS launched and (to a lesser extent) DS once 3DS was released.

Dryk

I did figure that they would prematurely announce a new mainline Fire Emblem for Switch without showing anything.

It's kinda like how they announced Smash 4 back in 2011.
It's really weird that this is how they announce their intent to move 3DS franchises to the Switch (as expected)

MoonFrog

Awesome, but I'd like to hear/see more. Especially with a series that I'm invested in and concerned about the future of.

The Gaiden remake (?) is good news. Nice to see step towards established protagonists again.

God, I hope it's good. Going from Radiant Dawn to Awakening was one of the biggest disappointments in my life.

Won't hold my breath, but I'm still hoping this is good.

I dunno. The fact they didn't even show concept art suggests this one's a ways off (mid/late 2018). I wouldn't expect more until late this year/early next year.

We could get a title and some art shown during their Digital Event at E3, but yeah, I wouldn't expect a trailer until this fall.

Hopefully they use the previous console games as a template rather than the recent handheld games. Good to hear confirmation but would have preferred finding out about this later on in the year.

I'm overjoyed to see the series so well supported only a few years after it was on the verge of death, but now seems as good a time as any for someone to whip up a version of that "sad Wii U outside the window in the rain" image with an Advance Wars case.

Anarky

Banned
I feel like this fully confirms for me that the Switch is Nintendo's console AND handheld going forward. A little part of me was worried they wouldn't put any handheld franchises on it but I'm glad to see I was wrong.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think it's fairly obvious what their strategy is. You can get a 2DS for $99 and the install base is large, so Nintendo will continue to support it for another 12-18 months. This is exactly what they did with GBA when DS launched and (to a lesser extent) DS once 3DS was released.

I'm talking about the timing of the announcement.

We're between the live conference about Switch and Switch launch. A very short period nonetheless. And they announced a new FE game coming in May for 3ds (while Switch has troubles filling the line-up) and a port of FE Warriors happening for 3ds (so losing 1 exclusive). It's like sabotaging your own launching campaign.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
This will be one of their big E3 gameplay reveals. The people expecting anymore than an announcement and rough date were always setting themselves up for disappointment.

Overall a great Direct.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Assuming a mid-late 2018 release that's three years in Japan from FE Fates, which was about the gap from Awakening to Fates.

Just about to post this. They'll have plenty of time to develop this game if it comes out Q3 or Q4.

Trago

I feel like this fully confirms for me that the Switch is Nintendo's console AND handheld going forward. A little part of me was worried they wouldn't put any handheld franchises on it but I'm glad to see I was wrong.

They are going to drop the 3DS like a bad habit in like a year. Switch will be the only Nintendo platform supported by Nintendo eventually. All those series which have had recent success on 3DS will come to Switch. Still waiting for Pokemon Stars and Monster Hunter.

Did you think they wouldn't make any more Fire Emblem games ever again?

If simply being aware that it will one day exist is enough for you to buy a console you could have made that decision the moment Nintendo started talking about the NX.

I didn't think they would release 3 Fire Emblem games in a year no.

Much less in the first year and a half of the Switch launch.

I hope I like this. I have tried like four times to get into this series through different games, and I like Strategy RPGs, but the story, characters, and combat system was just too boring for me. I hope this will try new things and the stronger graphical power can make it more visually appealing.

Slevin

Yes! I can finally play FE again. I wonder if they'll go with a similar "cel shade" art style as PoR or if they'll stick to something more like Awakening and Fates?

Why not mention it on the Switch event? This is already more information than whatever Yakuza guy or Suda51 came out to say in that goddamn conference combined!

YBdisk

2018? Low budget garbage story/world building confirmed. Sigh, keep the "whatever-service" to a minimum please. I can't take that shit anymore.

Kouriozan

They are making a new engine probably so it'll take time.
As long as I got 3 other FE games this year I'm really fine with this.

Top Bottom