• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors Famitsu info: Characters, gameplay info [Up: Screenshots]

NeonZ

You agree with me so I'm not really arguing with you. But I will just say to the bolded that that is a poor reason (if it's a reason at all). Imagine if this was a Final Fantasy Musou game, and they said the characters would only be from FF13, FF15, and FF1. That's basically what this is like. FF1 is remembered fondly and honored for its place in the genre and setting up the rest of the franchise. FE1 is very much similar in that way. Now to give FE1 some credit over FF1, at least their characters have names...but it's not much better.

The FE1 cast, even many minor characters, get quite a bit of personality... in FE12.

This is also why a comparison with FF1 isn't really that solid. The FE1 cast basically covers 4 releases - and FE3 specifically still is the best selling FE game in Japan. It is unfortunate that the only one that made it out of Japan was FE11 though, creating this division.

So, what's the logic behind adding original characters to this?

Is the concept that non-fire emblem fans will be less afraid to buy it because they're not pulls from the series history?

I guess the idea is that they are point of view characters so they won't require the players to have knowledge of all the other games participating, since the characters will need to be introduced to them too.

Also, regarding those two, it's odd that both seem to wield sword & shield. I wonder if they'll actually share a single moveset, even though they're siblings rather than different genders for an avatar.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe after the end of all the DLC you'll have that many playable characters. But at the start expect half that if even that many.

Agreed. AFAIK, Hyrule Warriors ended with 29 characters, and that was after two iterations of the game and two seasons of DLC. Of course, Zelda as a franchise has way fewer characters easily translatable into a Musou game compared to Fire Emblem, but I'm thinking we're looking at a final roster size in the 20-30 range, maybe 35 playstyles max. At least, that's just my personal guess, and I'd be happy for it to be wrong.

NeonZ

Agreed. AFAIK, Hyrule Warriors ended with 24 characters, and that was after two iterations of the game and two seasons of DLC. Of course, Zelda as a franchise has way fewer characters easily translatable into a Musou game compared to Fire Emblem, but I'm thinking we're looking at a final roster size in the 20-25 range, maybe 30 max.

They've said that this game will have the largest starting roster for a Musou collaboration though, so that would place the initial roster above 16 characters (Dynasty Warriors Gundam).

Lunar15

Yeah, I think it's a safe bet that anyone with an Amiibo is getting into this game. Ike and Roy are pretty safe, and this makes the Alm and Celica amiibos a bit more worthwhile.

However, there's always the chance that these amiibos don't add characters...but weapons.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
They've said that this game will have the largest starting roster for a Musou collaboration though, so that would place the initial roster above 16 characters (Dynasty Warriors Gundam).

That's a fair point and one I was considering when I made my estimates. But I just realized that I miscounted Hyrule Warrior Legends's character count; it was actually 29 (I knew 24 seemed small!). Hyrule Warriors ended at 19 characters and 30 movesets with all of its DLC (pre-Legends), and Legends added another 10 characters and 13 movesets. So, thanks for inspiring me to recheck that!

With that in mind, I'm going to update my estimates to 20-30 (characters) and 35 max (playstyles).

Rutger

Banned
Just gonna chalk it up to him being able to hit near 100% crit rate with the right setup.

Wow, that game had some dumb stuff.

Sure, that's cool and all, but even without it his high crit rate, great avoid, and amazing hit rate make him not only fantastic at cleaning up mobs but also as a boss killer in a game where thrones are difficult for most to deal with. He shows up at the perfect time to carry your army when you need it most.

And I think you mean that game had some fun stuff! What's not to love about being able to buy all the boots for a unit!

TDLink

That's a fair point and one I was considering when I made my estimates. But I just realized that I miscounted Hyrule Warrior Legends's character count; it was actually 29 (I knew 24 seemed small!). Hyrule Warriors ended at 19 characters with all of its DLC (pre-Legends), and Legends added another 10. So, thanks for inspiring me to recheck that!

With that in mind, I'm going to update my estimates to 20-30 and 35 max.

I don't think we can use it as a point of comparison simply because Zelda had much fewer possible characters to pull from (and boy did they kinda dig in the bottom of the barrel for some of them) compared to Fire Emblem, which clearly has more characters than could fit in any one game. I mean you could devote a Musou entirely to the cast of a single game for FE.

Most Musou games have many more characters than HW did. So there's no real reason to expect FE Warriors will have that few. I mean, Dynasty Warriors 8 had over 80 different characters!

Something else to consider, HW countered not having that many characters by having some characters able to use multiple weapons, effectively making them play completely different. FEW is unlikely to do this and like most other Musou games just have each character have only one play style and move list. When all was said and done, there were 43 unique move sets in HW.

Draxal

Sure, that's cool and all, but even without it his high crit rate, great avoid, and amazing hit rate make him not only fantastic at cleaning up mobs but also as a boss killer in a game where thrones are difficult for most to deal with. He shows up at the perfect time to carry your army when you need it most.

And I think you mean that game had some fun stuff! What's not to love about being able to buy all the boots for a unit!

He's also the edgiest of the navarres which is a feat.

So, what's the logic behind adding original characters to this?

Is the concept that non-fire emblem fans will be less afraid to buy it because they're not pulls from the series history?

Nah its two fold.

1. KT gets some characters to co-own with Nintendo Int Sys (like Itsuki from TMS is coowned by Nintendo/Atlus).
2. The other is that it almost like acts a homebase, similiar to FE Heroes with the big three there and seeing other worlds. It doesn't work as well if you start of in Awakening land, then visit other worlds for example.

PK Gaming

He's also outright responsible for making earlygame HM bearable. Dude carries the team on his goddamn back until they can fend for themselves, and still ends up as a kickass frontline unit by the end. Fans tend to overhype their fav Swordmasters, but Rutger was the only one who lived up to the hype.

Rutger

Banned
He's also the edgiest of the navarres which is a feat.
Eh, I'd say that FE7 Karel manages to be more edgy.
He's also outright responsible for making earlygame HM bearable. Dude carries the team on his goddamn back until they can fend for themselves, and still ends up as a kickass frontline unit by the end. Fans tend to overhype their fav Swordmasters, but Rutger was the only one who lived up to the hype.

I always like to use the swordmasters in FE games, but Rutger really was one of the very few where I could truly say they were a part of my team outside of bias.

Eh, I'd say that FE7 Karel manages to be more edgy.

I always like to use the swordmasters in FE games, but Rutger really was one of the very few where I could truly say they were a part of my team outside of bias.
Karel in FE7 is by far the edgiest, I agree. Pretty much a psychopath. Rutger is awesome though, great character portrait too. Though he has less of a soft spot in my heart than Gonzales.

Draxal

Karel in FE7 is by far the edgiest, I agree. Pretty much a psychopath. Rutger is awesome though, great character portrait too. Though he has less of a soft spot in my heart than Gonzales.

Don't think Karel is surly enough to be edgey, but he def had the crazy murderer approach there.

Anyway, reddit has a cleaner translation of the famitsu article.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think we can use it as a point of comparison simply because Zelda had much fewer possible characters to pull from (and boy did they kinda dig in the bottom of the barrel for some of them) compared to Fire Emblem, which clearly has more characters than could fit in any one game. I mean you could devote a Musou entirely to the cast of a single game for FE.

Most Musou games have many more characters than HW did. So there's no real reason to expect FE Warriors will have that few. I mean, Dynasty Warriors 8 had over 80 different characters!

Something else to consider, HW countered not having that many characters by having some characters able to use multiple weapons, effectively making them play completely different. FEW is unlikely to do this and like most other Musou games just have each character have only one play style and move list. When all was said and done, there were 43 unique move sets in HW.

I agree about Zelda's and Fire Emblem's character pools being inherently different, which is why I set my range above what Hyrule Warriors ended at with its first run of DLC (19 vs. 20-35). However, I think you raise a really good point about weapons. I did forget to account for that! Since Fire Emblem characters could either have multiple weapons or each be assigned one playstyle, I do wonder what they'll choose. I see why you would anticipate they'll favor one-playstyle-per-character. If they did do that, I guess I could maybe see 40 characters, but I think it'll all depend on what the starting roster is. If the starting roster is something around 20, I don't think they'll double it via DLC without first releasing a sequel game. If they start closer to 30, then I think 40 is within reach. And all of that really is based on the assumption of A) DLC happening and B) it happening in a certain way. I could be way off on all of this.

I suppose the conclusion I've come to is that it's too early for me to make any assumptions about the total character count. I think I'll stick with my estimate of 20-30 characters when all is said and done, and if that ends up being exceeded, I'll be very happy. :) I hope you're right that I should be expecting more!

NeonZ

The article mentions that the concept of character classes will play a role here. Really, this could either result in a larger than expected line up, with some characters sharing classes/movesets, or a smaller one - if they actually use classes for class branches - effectively giving some characters multiple movesets through that.

Fandangox

The article mentions that the concept of character classes will play a role here. Really, this could either result in a larger than expected line up, with some characters sharing classes/movesets, or a smaller one - if they actually use classes for class branches - effectively giving some characters multiple movesets through that.

I mostly play the Samurai Warrior side of the games so I am not sure, but I think one of the recent Dynasty Warrior games did this. A lot of people speculated that is that would be done if there ever was a FE: Warriors game.

chara render
chara01_full.png
chara02_full.png
chara03_full.png
chara04_full.png
screens
also anna
1vNm2LzS_400x400.jpg

moonlight must be happy now lol

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The guy would be okay if his hair didn't look like an inverted artichoke.

If Anna isn't playable at launch and is only the shopkeeper, I bet she gets added as free DLC soon after launch. But I'd guess she's going to be one of the characters who belongs to this game's universe, just like she did in Heroes and just like Link/Ganondorf/Zelda did in Hyrule Warriors.

Is that the mother of the twins in the background?

I'm finding it strange they didn't wait til e3 for the info dump

Maybe they want to avoid an accidental "leak" like E3 2015. :p I'm hoping this means we'll get a few more character announcements at E3. We'll at least definitely get a proper example of the gameplay and how this game works.

This is minor stuff all things considered. Everyone expected Marth and nobody gets excited about original characters. I expect fan favorites at E3.

Yeah, I think/hope we'll get 1 or 2 of these. I just wonder if they'll be Awakening/Fates/Shadow Dragon favorites or not. Perhaps it would be Anna and maybe someone like Tiki.

Draxal

This is minor stuff all things considered. Everyone expected Marth and nobody gets excited about original characters. I expect fan favorites at E3.

They'll introduce one new char if anything, like when Hyrule warriors happened.

Riposte

Not surprised this game would have a disappointingly limited cast. The fact they shoved a boring fuck like Chrom to be the face of the reveal with a bunch of swords from just these games sets the tone. The only question is how lopsided will be in favor of sword-users, like Smash. Corrin being allowed to be in more videogames would be shocking.

Not surprised this game would have a disappointingly limited cast. The fact they shoved a boring fuck like Chrom to be the face of the reveal with a bunch of swords from just these games sets the tone. The only question is how lopsided will be in favor of sword-users, like Smash. Corrin being allowed to be in more videogames would be shocking.

You do know Chrom is really popular right?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Both of these pictures seem to be in the same place

So I guess she dies or something?

That seems like a good guess.

Are the twins royalty? And is Darios their father? He looks way too young to be their father, but my intuition tells me a father is more likely than a brother.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The n3DS version is going to look unfortunate compared to the Switch version given how well it seems to be turning out. I wonder how performance between the two versions will compare. I also wonder how sales will go. Clearly, the push for this game is on Switch, and I think most people will think of it that way.

Naw. Dario's is their trainer/Friend I think. Dad is already dead

Thanks! That makes his apparent age make more sense. The crown he's wearing perplexes me, though. Baseless thought: I wonder if he could turn out to be evil.

EDIT: Looks like he turned out to be the prince of a neighboring kingdom and acted as a big brother, training both siblings in different ways. That makes the crown and his age make sense.

Cerium

Anna would have made for a much better main protagonist. At least she's guaranteed to be included in some form.

55% chance he gets possessed.

They could conceivably fill a whole DLC pack with nothing but different Annas.

I fully expect at least a Fire Emblem Heroes pack with Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna.

Top Bottom