• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors |OT| Now Everyone Can Ougi!

So do the characters that share the same weapon class have very different movesets?

Kinda worried that all the sword fighters for instance feel the same to play.

Gradivus

So do the characters that share the same weapon class have very different movesets?

Kinda worried that all the sword fighters for instance feel the same to play.
Not all, Chrom and Lucina share play style while Marth plays differently.

It all comes down to units having the same move pool, besides special attacks.

AEREC

Waiting on the US version but if I have 20GB free on internal memory and 6GB free on my SD card...the game will auto download to the internal memory right?

I think I ran into an issue a while ago where a game wouldn't download since I didnt have enough space on my SD card (but there was plenty on internal).

Neghis

Neo Member
Heard some people saying that aside from the meh roster it's the best playing and polished warriors game in a long while.

Nohar

Heard some people saying that aside from the meh roster it's the best playing and polished warriors game in a long while.

I want to see the receipts on that.

Anyhow, we will get in-depth reviews in not so long, so it will help us see what exactly this game has to offer. Koei has demonstrated they could spice up their usual recipe with their spin-off warrior games (such as Hyrule Warriors). This one allows to change characters easily and quickly in battle (something which I absolutely love), we are able to give instructions to our allies, weapon triangle, perma-death, dual attacks, etc. There are many good ideas added to that title, that's for sure.

But the rather small roster and, most of all, moveset-clones (aside from special attacks) when the roster is already small in the first place dampened my enthousiasm (and when I read that unplayable characters who should be playable in the future have, once again, already existing movesets, with the sole exception of Oboro, I'm disappointed).

Also, I'm curious to know how many different maps this game has. It was one of my issues with Hyrule Warriors, which could have used a lot more maps (something which was partially rectified with the Legends version, but I didn't double-dip and bought that one).

NeonZ

Also, I'm curious to know how many different maps this game has. It was one of my issues with Hyrule Warriors, which could have used a lot more maps (something which was partially rectified with the Legends version, but I didn't double-dip and bought that one).

I actually was disappointed by that aspect of Legends. Aside from one time of the day variation for each old map with a visible sky, there were only two new stages, a Great Sea one combining multiple Wind Waker islands and the combined Earth/Wind temple. From pre-release marketing, I thought the Great Sea was actually multiple stages, but it was just different areas of the same one.

Nohar

I actually was disappointed by that aspect of Legends. Aside from one time of the day variation for each old map with a visible sky, there were only two new stages, a Great Sea one combining multiple Wind Waker islands and the combined Earth/Wind temple. From pre-release marketing, I thought the Great Sea was actually multiple stages, but it was just different areas of the same one.

Wow. Color me disappointed. I thought they added much more stages than that.

Neghis

Neo Member
I want to see the receipts on that.

There's some impressions (and a lot of other info like translated support convo's) on the serenesforest.com warriors subforum.

Also how is roster small? It's bigger than most first in a series warriors games. I imagine you're comparing it to games like DW8 or OP pirate warriors 3 which have huge rosters but warriors games always build on the roster with sequels.

is there a way to quickly check no. of maps in musou generally other than trying to go to every single story chapter? I can do a quick check later

Waiting on the US version but if I have 20GB free on internal memory and 6GB free on my SD card...the game will auto download to the internal memory right?

I think I ran into an issue a while ago where a game wouldn't download since I didnt have enough space on my SD card (but there was plenty on internal).

I think there's an option where you can set default memory for game install? can't remember the switch settings

There's some impressions (and a lot of other info like translated support convo's) on the serenesforest.com warriors subforum.

Also how is roster small? It's bigger than most first in a series warriors games. I imagine you're comparing it to games like DW8 or OP pirate warriors 3 which have huge rosters but warriors games always build on the roster with sequels.

probably because clones exist I guess, so some people ends up grouping them together as single chara

fionel

Just got the game today. Answering my own previous question - split screen coop is 30-60fps in docked mode, 30 fps in handheld mode. Not too bad I'd say!

This information is old but it seam than Ike and Roy are out in this game, exept if there is a FEW 2 :(

https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/914002414755135488

To bad for Ike, he is the most popular character in the series worldwide and always is left out.

already saw some fan translations about that

From Official guide book's interview

summary

1.Each Dlc pack have 3 new characters, and in contrast of focus on rosters "canon,absolutely necessary" in the main game, they would more consider about DLC characters' popularity and interesting/fun elements.

2.DLC packs also consider add more types of unit.

3.Game's director hope add some more popular characters such as Ike, Roy in Sequel. (Means only if FEW2 come true i guess)

4.Add Lyn and Celica is the ideas of Nintendo/IS.

Mixed feelings about them already saving for a sequel. needs to earn that sequel first

Base Hyrule Warriors without updates or DLC had 13 characters and 20 unique movesets (21 with the Amiibo locked spinner - I'm not including the Master Sword in that count though, since it's just a powered up Sword & Shield style for Link).

Fire Emblem Warriors is launching with 23 characters, but out of those the OCs, Marth/Celica, Chrom/Lucina, Caeda/Cordelia/Hinoka, Leo/Elise, Takumi/Sakura/Anna are clones, sharing basically all of their normals, although having unique specials. That leaves only 15 completely unique movesets.

Also, out of the 4 npcs are that likely to be added to the playable character list before the DLC proper, only Oboro has an unique moveset. Navarre uses the same 2 sword style as Lyn, Niles is just another archer and Owain has an unique stance, but outside of that he's a Ryoma clone (and even takes Ryoma's stance mid-combo). The 3 villains don't have as much data according to the game rips, so they seem more unlikely to make it altogether.

So. quite a few characters on the roster are clones? disappointing

I don't know why people keep expecting something different from a first Warriors game. This happens literally every time. They have to build the framework and concepts and everything, which leads to a small roster. If these characters weren't clones, they wouldn't be in the game at all. I'd say its better having a larger roster where some of the characters are clones, then just having 15 characters in the game.

As with all Warriors series, if it moves on to a sequel, the sequel will end up a vast improvement, because the framework, concepts, and 15 (+DLC) movesets have already been created.

If you are basing things solely on Zelda, well, unfortunately, its Zelda, it is a unique beast that probably had the most funding of a Warriors game ever

I got the JP version and honestly its not as fun as Hyrule Warriors at all. It has support conversations, cutscenes, switching and strategizing from the HW 3DS port, but it still feels stale and not fun to play. Too many clones, too lean of a roster, too repetitive objectives, no charisma and, more importantly, no adventure mode to counteract all of that.

Kouriozan

Reading those impressions makes me sad, FE is like the IP that should have had a Musou game a long time ago and they manage to make it disappointing.
Better wait for Hyrule Warriors Empire/sequel.

Neghis

Neo Member
Reading those impressions makes me sad, FE is like the IP that should have had a Musou game a long time ago and they manage to make it disappointing.
Better wait for Hyrule Warriors Empire/sequel.

The only disappointing part is the roster the rest of the game is a lot of fun apparently.

T9lotKw.jpg

Friend of mine sent me these. wtf

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got my copy~
And just one minute in, I already made my first mistake:
I chose to use Rowan. :|
Somebody's gotta use the guy. >.>

What's wrong with that choice?

If you are basing things solely on Zelda, well, unfortunately, its Zelda, it is a unique beast that probably had the most funding of a Warriors game ever

If they can't match the quality of the previous game in the series (and I am going to compare Hyrule Warriors to any future Nintendo Warriors title, and I'm sure I'm not the only one), that's only going to hurt them in terms of sales.

I expect most people who were asking for FEWarriors as the next game after Hyrule Warriors were expecting it to meet the standards that game set

Up to Ch. 11 so far. Trying to blaze through it so I can shed light on a few things like map repetition.

make a new save file quick

It's too late; I already have Elise. :|

What's wrong with that choice?

From a gameplay standpoint? Nothing really. It's just that Rowan's not a waifu and gets flack chiefly for it. lol Additional flack is due to his hairdo and not being as cool as his sister. Actually, he's a bit of a dork. He's got spirit though, I'll give him that -- and spirit is fitting for a Warriors game. He's actually grown on me because of that.

The choice isn't that big anyways far as I can tell. Only affects up to Ch. 5 far as I can tell.

zulux21

I skimmed the OP but didn't see it.

Can the game be played co op with each person using a single joy con, or will I need a pro controller?

won't be playing until christmas, as I threw a switch on my christmas list for the heck of it, and my aunt said that if it could count towards me and my wife that she could do that (thus I need to get her a really nice gift this year lol). But need to know if I need to snag more controllers before then as this will likely be the main game my wife and I play on the switch for a while.

Quick questions:

Can you dodge cancel similar to Hyrule Warriors and Pirate Warriors?

What's the variety like in the History mode battles? Different objectives and stuff like HW Adventure mode?

I skimmed the OP but didn't see it.

Can the game be played co op with each person using a single joy con, or will I need a pro controller?

Yes, you can play with a single joycon.

Quick questions:

Can you dodge cancel similar to Hyrule Warriors and Pirate Warriors?

What's the variety like in the History mode battles? Different objectives and stuff like HW Adventure mode?

Yes, you can dodge-cancel. Not all moves can be dodge-cancelled though.

I've only done a tiny bit of History Mode, so I can't say much, but I've seen
- The usual capture forts and beat bosses
- Defeat as many enemies as you can within a certain amount of time
- Arena -- fight up to 6 rounds of 3-5 mini/bosses each (Pro tip: Don't do Round 6 without high-level units. The boss one-shot me despite them being at disadvantage, oof.)

Yes, you can play with a single joycon.

Yes, you can dodge-cancel. Not all moves can be dodge-cancelled though.

I've only done a tiny bit of History Mode, so I can't say much, but I've seen
- The usual capture forts and beat bosses
- Defeat as many enemies as you can within a certain amount of time
- Arena -- fight up to 6 rounds of 3-5 mini/bosses each (Pro tip: Don't do Round 6 without high-level units. The boss one-shot me despite them being at disadvantage, oof.)

Thanks, sounds good.

Shun

History mode is much better than Zelda Musou's adventure mode in terms of objective and things you can do in my opinion. Some of the shit you had to do in Zelda Musou was a terrible grind with some objectives forcing you with a character thats sorely under leveled and not fun to play.

You do need to backtrack and do the missions more than once to unlock Anna, but I rather enjoy how history mode is paced than have things be blocked off from not having an item and have to grind your way through.

Personally, contrary to initial pre-release impressions, I really love and enjoy Fire Emblem Musou.

The game plays well and looks better than I expected, and there is a lot of fun fan service throughout the game and seeing characters interact with each other without having to deal with terribly unbalanced gameplay is good.

The only real grind is getting supports done, but thats with every Fire Emblem game.

RedToad64

I just noticed that my Amazon Prime order for my copy is not coming on release day despite choosing the "two day free shipping" option. What am I doing wrong?

I just noticed that my Amazon Prime order for my copy is not coming on release day despite choosing the "two day free shipping" option. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing. It's just Amazon Prime being Amazon Prime

Watch my copy of Mario Odyssey pre-order ship in November

RedToad64

Nothing. It's just Amazon Prime being Amazon Prime

Watch my copy of Mario Odyssey pre-order ship in November
What's odd is that it says Mario Odyssey is supposed to be at my place on release day. If the Fire Emblem listing doesn't change then I guess I'll be contacting their support. :/

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Up to Ch. 11 so far. Trying to blaze through it so I can shed light on a few things like map rFrom a gameplay standpoint? Nothing really. It's just that Rowan's not a waifu and gets flack chiefly for it. lol Additional flack is due to his hairdo and not being as cool as his sister. Actually, he's a bit of a dork. He's got spirit though, I'll give him that -- and spirit is fitting for a Warriors game. He's actually grown on me because of that.

The choice isn't that big anyways far as I can tell. Only affects up to Ch. 5 far as I can tell.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the explanation.
Yeah, I don't like his hair either.
I'll have to make a choice eventually.

TheMoon

I don't know botw eventually got it and so did DW8. I really hope they do though because some of the english voices are pretty terrible.

BotW didn't "get" it, it always had it. It was a single-SKU game with all(!) languages on the card from the get-go. The only thing they added was an option to mix sub language and dub language which was a simple toggle. DW8 is also not a Nintendo game. This one is neither of these things.

Golnei

Anyone else a little bit disappointed that they decided against giving Celica the Rigain outfit for her promoted costume? The Princess class, like in Echoes, looks really similar to her base costume, and it'd have been nice to see it in higher detail.

I wonder if it was due to being a later inclusion - if the overclasses weren't finalised until later in Echoes' development compared to the main designs, they may not have been able to share the material in time, especially if Celica herself was a last-minute IS-mandated addition.

Neghis

Neo Member
BotW didn't "get" it, it always had it. It was a single-SKU game with all(!) languages on the card from the get-go. The only thing they added was an option to mix sub language and dub language which was a simple toggle. DW8 is also not a Nintendo game. This one is neither of these things.

Just compared it to the first ones that came to mind and seemed appropriate. Also never say never.

It's excruciating knowing that this is out but because I wanted the EU version I need to sit and twiddle my thumbs for another 2 weeks :eek:

Top Bottom