• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire shuts down Chevron refinery in Richmond CA, may cause west coast gas price spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I saw the fire and smoke on my drive home from work yesterday shortly after the initial explosion, as I saw the initial smoke plume rising in the horizon as I crossed the Golden Gate, and I ended up driving right by the refinery as my usual route home was slower than usual (apparently due to people driving slower to watch what was going on). The smoke plume was apparently visible all the way from San Jose, and at one point blotted out the sun in parts of the East Bay.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Chevron-refinery-fire-may-raise-gas-prices-3769112.php

A fire at Chevron Corp.'s Richmond oil refinery may push gasoline prices higher today as it disrupts fuel output at the state's third-largest crude-processing plant.

Chevron's 240,000-barrel-a-day refinery shut its No. 4 crude unit after the fire Monday, Heather Kulp, a Chevron spokeswoman, said Tuesday.
The fire is out, she said, and the plant is maintaining a small controlled burn at the crude unit to relieve pressure. Other units are operating at unknown levels, Kulp said.

"We don't know how long the crude unit will be down, and they may have had to shut other refining units as well," said Andy Lipow, president of Lipow Oil Associates LLC in Houston. "I expect that if several units shut, gasoline prices will spike at least 10 cents today" in California, he said.

California-blend gasoline, or Carbob, in San Francisco gained 1.5 cents to 5.5 cents a gallon above futures traded on the New York Mercantile Exchange Monday, data compiled by Bloomberg show. It rose as high as 14.75 cents on Aug. 2 from a discount of 12 cents on July 18.

Carbob spot prices Tuesday may be 24 cents higher than yesterday and diesel may jump 4 cents, said Bob van der Valk, a petroleum industry analyst in Terry, Mont. He said BP Plc's Cherry Point refinery in Washington took four months to reach full operation after a fire in February.

"These increases will be passed along to retail pumps at California and gas stations as far north as Seattle," he said.

No estimate

Kulp said the refinery doesn't have an estimate for when it will restart the crude unit. The No. 4 crude unit has a daily throughput capacity of 257,200 barrels a day, according to an Aug. 11, 2011, document on file with the Bay Area Air Quality Management District.

Other process units at the refinery include a 64,800-barrel-a-day diesel hydrotreater, a 96,000-barrel-a-day jet hydrotreater, a 57,600-barrel-a-day naphtha hydrotreater, a 90,000-barrel-a-day fluid catalytic cracker plant and a 60,900- barrel-a-day isocracker, according to the document.

The fire in Richmond may have been caused by a leaking diesel line, said Melissa Ritchie, a Chevron spokeswoman. All employees at the refinery have been accounted for, and three employees were treated on site for minor injuries, said spokesman Brent Tippen.
Evacuation reported

The plant reported an evacuation after the fire broke out, a filing with the California Emergency Management Agency shows.

The Contra Costa County health-services department issued a shelter-in-place advisory for Richmond, North Richmond and San Pablo because of the fire. The agency recommended that residents stay inside their homes or the nearest buildings, bring pets indoors, close doors and windows, and make sure vents and fireplaces are closed.

As of 11:30 p.m. local time Monday about 200 people had sought services at the Doctors Medical Center in San Pablo, 5 miles from the refinery, according to the center. The people complained of respiratory problems and continued to arrive throughout the night, according to the statement.

110 years

The Richmond plant is about 110 years old, according to Chevron's website. Built on a peninsula of low hills rising from San Francisco Bay, the refinery became the West Coast's largest and most advanced upon its completion in July 1902. The refinery produces gasoline, jet fuel, diesel, lubricants and other oil products, according to the company's website.

Chevron shut a crude unit at Richmond on Nov. 14 after vacuum residuum, made up of heavy hydrocarbons, leaked from a bleeder on a filter and "auto ignited," Chevron said in a filing to county regulators following that incident. The unit was returned to service later that same month, two people with direct knowledge of the plant's operations said Nov. 29. A crude unit at the refinery also caught fire in January 2007.

The county's hazardous materials division was at the refinery testing air quality after yesterday's fire, according to a notice from the county health department. The plant released sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide, hydrogen oxide, sulfuric acid and nitrogen dioxide because of the fire, the state filing shows.

8rJzq.jpg

1lsOw.jpg

T33OB.jpg

q46fM.jpg

sR51I.jpg

RtQB8.jpg

2GHXo.jpg

ffvJ9.jpg

pigeon

Banned
I remember reading an East Bay Express article a few months back about this refinery being vital to Richmond's economy but also pretty bad for the actual people in Richmond. So I guess this is both the worst possible and the inevitable outcome.

Bombadil

Banned
Fuck them! This shit is a regular occurrence. I wouldn't put it past speculators to commit arson for their own gain. This is fucking stupid.

ezekial45

Banned
What a nightmare these past few weeks have been. The shootings, mosques getting burned down, and now this.

Fucking horrible.

deadlast

Why does the West Coast love to spike gas prices so much. If a butterfly farts you guys gotta pay another 10 cents at the pump.

Holy crap. Bay area gas prices are going to spike up high.
1) We already pay really high prices due to a quasi-monopoly around here.
2) Oil prices have been creeping back up. WTI is at 95.5 today.
3) This refinery fire.

BOHICA Bay area people!

I had a shelter in place warning last night due to this. Could actually smell the smoke too, very skunky odor. I seem to remember Chevron wanting to modernize this refinery and the city saying no for some reason, wonder what they think now....

pigeon

Banned
I had a shelter in place warning last night due to this. Could actually smell the smoke too, very skunky odor. I seem to remember Chevron wanting to modernize this refinery and the city saying no for some reason, wonder what they think now....

Probably "it's a good thing we blocked their refinery expansion for not doing an adequate environmental survey, or this would've been even worse."

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/92510/archives/2010/03/10/chevrons-richmond-refinery-to-stay-open

Seth C

May cause? Someone taking a dump on the sidewalk would cause a spike in gas prices. Let's get real here.

bjork

Only a .20 difference between what I paid in So Cal last night, and what it is today in Kahului. If we end up passing HI, that's bad.

I'm at half a tank on my corolla right now (it's a true commuter car at this point, only drive on weekends) and will probably just fill up to full and stick to my bike for work now.

I also was used to $3.55 regular... Not anymore obviously.

May cause? Someone taking a dump on the sidewalk would cause a spike in gas prices. Let's get real here.

lol. this one is actually related as the company is going to have to ship more gas to the West Coast.

Gas distribution is separated geographically.

Seriously folks... this is why I've made the decision that my next car is either a hybrid or full on electric (and ideally autonomous too :) ). Every year there is some failure/catastrophe at some refinery/station and we all collectively end up getting shafted at the pump. And guess what the end result is... massive profit INCREASES for the companies who experienced the failures/catastrophes.

da fuq, so even if I don't use Chevron the rest of the gas companies will bump up prices just cause?

edit: nvm

needs an updated version of the Bugs Bunny gif to saw off California instead
something something doesn't need coz of San Andreas fault ripping California, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom