• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Alan Wake: Night Springs Screenshot [XBLA, Revealing December 10th At VGAs]

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
want to be excited, but alan's look and that enviro doesnt look like the AW i love. and a nail gun? please dont zombify this.

raviolico

looking forward.

just finished the original + the 2 DLCs last weekend. good, good stuff...but i`m the only one who liked the two extra episodes less than the main game?
i mean this whole "caged into the weird dark realm stuff" felt a bit over-overdone for my taste

scently

Really looking forward to this. Alan Wake is one of those very few games that I have played twice. And that's a really short list.

So it's going to be a comedy this time around.

YCS1x.jpg

Dries

I will buy any game related to Alan Wake, my personal GOTY 2010. So here, Remedy, take my money away from me..

Just started playing The Writer a few minutes ago and wow, I havent played any AW in close to a year and these first few minutes remind me why I love the IP so much in the first place

I'm hoping this is based off of the content that was original shown in the Alane Wake Intel demo. Being that this is night springs, I expect the game to be more psychological, like twilight zone, and less stephan king in nature.

It'd be awesome to hear him referencing twilight zone and outer limits like he did king in the original.

kneePat

IdreamofHIME said:
What's the size limit on XBLA now? and what can they really do with that space?

It is a technical limit of 2 GB. But I'm sure if they needed more space you could see more parts (and more money.) To give you an idea about what they can do with the space, Shadow Complex is 835 MB.

wwm0nkey

IdreamofHIME said:
What's the size limit on XBLA now? and what can they really do with that space?
2GB for XBLA and I dont think there is a limit on GoD games.

So really they can make it 1/3 of the length as the first one.

pakkit

Banned
They released Crysis 1 on GoD...I could easily see this next Alan Wake title being an "EP sequel" compared to the LP full-release.

derFeef

BlazingDarkness said:
Pretty shitty reveal picture
Hm. Alan Wake has a few issues and two of them are samey environments and that the combat has very little variety. With this screen we get a new setting even with a desert / Vegas-like environment and a new weapon to boot which is already pretty different to the weapons we have in the main game. Plus the dope outfit and some new colors.

They nailed it as far as reveal pictures go :)

derFeef said:
Boom!

http://i.imgur.com/Q2QwR.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Looks great, but what the hell is going on with the torch. O_o

*EDIT*

[QUOTE] * Night Springs is 15 miles away. Could the aim of the game be to reach Night Springs?
* New clothing. As if you didn't notice that.
* The torch seems to be a little brighter than usual. New battery model perhaps?
* The nail gun in his hand. Alan is gonna nail some Ta- um... yeah.
* There's a watch tower to the far right of the image. Could it hold some significance? There was a watch tower in episode three. Could it be the same one, and if so, are Bright Falls and Night Springs closer than you may think? Could Night Springs be more than just a TV show Alan wrote for once?
* Motel must hold some significance of some kind, surely.
* Some people think Alan looks a little younger. Maybe its just the way he was 3D modelled? What do you think?
* Seems like Alan has a long road to travel on. Maybe there's multiple path ways to a destination leading off from that road?
* While he's holding a nail gun, it's unclear what else he is holding in his right hand. Looks like a mirror from a car... hmmm?
[/QUOTE]

Grabbed from the official forums.

Maybe this dlc string will have us explore Alan wake older work and stuff.
Like nightspring or other gigs barry got for him. You know now you have a thing like ass creed you can just plug in a other character with a different bloodline to have some new areas. They can now just plug in different works or literature alan supposedly wrote.

http://alanwake.wikia.com/wiki/Night_Springs

derFeef

Speedymanic said:
Looks great, but what the hell is going on with the torch. o_O
It's a bit bright ^^

* Night Springs is 15 miles away. Could the aim of the game be to reach Night Springs?
Very weird, since Night Springs is a TV show with video and boardgame spinoffs (the old gods are playing that in one scene.)
* There's a watch tower to the far right of the image. Could it hold some significance?
There was a watch tower in episode three. Could it be the same one, and if so, are Bright Falls and Night Springs closer than you may think? Could Night Springs be more than just a TV show Alan wrote for once?
Looks more like a radio tower to me.
* Some people think Alan looks a little younger. Maybe its just the way he was 3D modelled? What do you think?
It's just the way he is lit, but he looks a bit weird for sure, but it's not Mr. Scrach I think.
* While he's holding a nail gun, it's unclear what else he is holding in his right hand. Looks like a mirror from a car... hmmm?
It's the ammo clip for the nailgun.

edit:
MikkiRMD posted that on the Forums. The wait is going to be painful :(
Guys, I just want to say up front that we probably won't be able to answer your questions about this. You all know we've got the VGA thing coming up, and we really want to make sure we don't spill anything before that just so that we don't ruin anything we have planned, so that means I'm pretty much gonna keep schtum. Hope you understand!

edit2: I also found those observations by ryamkajr pretty great
1. Obvious desert setting vs. forest.
2. "Diner" missing letters - "dver" - "Diver" - more Zane?
3. Desert Shore - implying body of water (whether literal or figurative) - tying into the whole lake/ocean thing. Same with "Night Springs" - water theme.

Bluth54

Didn't Barry say that Night Springs Alan Wake's first professional writing job? Maybe the game is set at that point in his life, which is why he looks younger.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Very interesting on what's going on in that image, and how did Alan get there? Hurry up December 10th, Alan Wake is coming home :)

ArjanN

In case anyone is still waiting for a MGS Rising picture from Game Informer: it's not happening.

Jim Reilly replying to a someone asking about it on twitter :

"@jimreillyJim Reilly

@zanzibarpl We're only doing teasers for games that haven't been revealed already. Sorry for the confusion."

Biggzy

JonCha said:
Cannot wait. Does the engine look better or what?

Doesn't look different from that screenshot. However the IQ looks improved from what I remember of Alan Wake and it's not because it's a bullshot as look at that neon light there's aliasing around it, so it's definitely in-game.

derFeef

Biggzy said:
Doesn't look different from that screenshot. However the IQ looks improved from what I remember of Alan Wake and it's not because it's a bullshot as look at that neon light there's aliasing around it, so it's definitely in-game.
I really doubt we get a smooth IQ like that. I would be happy though if they improved the engine a bit and maybe raised the resolution. The game was gorgeous, but blurry.

Biggzy

Backfoggen said:
They released bullshots like that prior to the release of Alan Wake as well.

And like I said look at the neon sign and even look at the lamppost. If this is a bullshot then it's not a very good one.

Top Bottom