• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Gears of War 4 Beta Gameplay

XBIGYLDN

Neo Member
It's less than a week till the beta, would be surprised if they announced that footage as pre-alpha and then took a sudden u-turn.

Where did you read this? I must have missed it.

Confirmation that the digger was gone was in the gameinformer interview with Rod. As far as the Retro the only thing I've seen that says that it may not be there is that there was a piece of concept art that had a character holding what looked like a Retro but someone that works at TC confirmed that it was just for reference I think.

Instead of complaining about graphics in a shitty youtube video of a game in beta, you should discuss the potential issues with the size of the map. It looks way too big for a Gears game. I hated the bigger levels in 3, and I'm pretty sure most people do. It's definitely not something that fits the Gears style imo. Hopefully most maps will be smaller than this one.

Also, 60 fps for Gears multi is a must. It's so much better than 30 fps. I've wanted 60 fps for Gears since the first game, and now we finally have it. It's awesome!

Instead of complaining about graphics in a shitty youtube video of a game in beta, you should discuss the potential issues with the size of the map. It looks way too big for a Gears game. I hated the bigger levels in 3, and I'm pretty sure most people do. It's definitely not something that fits the Gears style imo. Hopefully most maps will be smaller than this one.

Also, 60 fps for Gears multi is a must. It's so much better than 30 fps. I've wanted 60 fps for Gears since the first game, and now we finally have it. It's awesome!

I don't mind big maps. The general feeling within the community is, like you say, smaller maps are better.

But for every Checkout, Mansion or Trenches I don't mind a Sandbar or Fuel Depot.

Retro isn't confirmed one way or the other as far as being in the game.

Ink and Digger are the only weapons confirmed to not be returning because they essentially use little Locust creatures as the ammo/grenade and they're all dead.

leeh

I don't mind big maps. The general feeling within the community is, like you say, smaller maps are better.

But for every Checkout, Mansion or Trenches I don't mind a Sandbar or Fuel Depot.
You don't like fuel depot? Really? Is this a common view? It was one of my favorite maps.

Thabass

Seems like Gears 3. Not joking about that. It doesn't look any different than what other games in the series looks. I don't really care much about graphics, but those are pretty bad.

I like that it has the same gameplay as the others, but...it just seems like they haven't made any updates to it at all.

Still, will check it out closer to launch...but I don't have the highest hopes right now.

L4nnist3r

TL;DR

The video in op is early internal alpha footage with no shadows and low textures. Everyone freaked out thinking it was the actual beta.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature...has_verified=1&client=mv-google&layout=mobile

Here is real footage from the actual beta

This doesn't look too hot neither.

tzDilOu.jpg

WadeitOut

So we can get a gauge on the intelligence level here...people do in fact realize the beta test is for gameplay testing and not for visual performance testing, right?

aBarreras

Seems like Gears 3. Not joking about that. It doesn't look any different than what other games in the series looks. I don't really care much about graphics, but those are pretty bad.

I like that it has the same gameplay as the others, but...it just seems like they haven't made any updates to it at all.

Still, will check it out closer to launch...but I don't have the highest hopes right now.

just bbecause a 10 minutes clip of a pre-alpha build?

So we can get a gauge on the intelligence level here...people do in fact realize the beta test is for gameplay testing and not for visual performance testing, right?

Hahahaah how much are Epic Games paying you? You really think the game's gonna look any better when it launches? Let's see how many other games have gone from sub HD to 1080p from beta to launch. Yeah, thought so. Epic should have jumped to PS4 when they had the chance.

/s

nib95

Banned

It will very likely improve visually, but I doubt there will be any substantial improvements enough to completely change the look or perception. I don't think games like Titanfall or Halo 5 for example saw extraordinary changes from their BETA's to their final versions either. Though with 6 months left, I suppose Coalition could break the mould and vastly improve the graphics, but I doubt it. Bare in mind I'm talking about the Beta here, not the pre-alpha build.

faint.

Gears 3.5 would be perfection (bugs fixed, OP stuff like the mantle kick nerfed, etc.). I don't see how someone can be a fan of gears and not want it to remain true to the formula. Judgement tried that and look how garbage it turned out.

Gears 3.5 would be perfection (bugs fixed, OP stuff like the mantle kick nerfed, etc.). I don't see how someone can be a fan of gears and not want it to remain true to the formula. Judgement tried that and look how garbage it turned out.

I concur. Gears fans are lucky the devs are staying true to the series unlike Volition did with Saints Row. I envy ya'll so much *wipes tear*

ShogunX

You're making the assumption that everybody in this thread is a fan of Gears and haven't just swung on by to criticise what they can.

I mean whilst it's obviously perfectly fine to worry about the changes or lack of to Gears 4....we get hands on with it in a few days time. If the beta is a smooth, fast and flowing game that remains true to the Gears formula and can maybe even improve on it then the graphic talk will become secondary just like it should. Save the eye candy for single player and prioritise performance in the multi.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Not very pretty. Is it just me or does it look even worse than Ultimate Edition multiplayer? Visuals reeeeeally took a hit to achieve 1080/60.

Preach.

That traditional gears formula is magical.

Not very pretty. Is it just me or does it look even worse than Ultimate Edition multiplayer? Visuals reeeeeally took a hit to achieve 1080/60.
This is the thing that makes me kinda confused. Ultimate Edition looked pretty dang good in multi for a 60fps game and yeah this is 6 months away but the leaks prior to Gears Ultimate were what? Like 4 months prior to release and they looked about as good as the final product.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums/e9b54fc61eb74ad783d533ca502b0132/threads/gears-of-war-4-beta-early-access-key-distribution/ff863133-5177-4c44-816c-abb5f9f4cfd4/posts

Hello Gears Fam!

The Gears of War 4 Beta is on the horizon and I wanted to give a quick rundown on how code distribution will be occurring starting on April 18th. As you guys know, this is a real beta and not a marketing beta for us. We need to test backend, gameplay and more within this beta. Due to this, we are planning on releasing early access codes out in waves to ensure we can have a stable backend for players during the early access period.

We plan on sending out codes to users who played Gears of War: Ultimate Edition in chronological order from the date they first played. For example, if you played on the first day the game launched, you will most likely receive your code on the 18th. Players that jumped in toward the tail end of the deadline (April 11th) will probably fall toward the end of the distribution.

Code waves will increase in size after the first day and stay consistent for each day after that. Our goal is to have all codes out to users by the end of day Thursday.

There will be beta rewards in the Gears of War 4 beta for participating. You will be reading more about that before this weekend. The beta rewards will not be tied to any specific dates so that everyone can earn the rewards before launch. We will also have an FAQ up during the beta that will answer a plenitude of questions.

Lastly, we are planning on doing a livestream on Friday April 15th where we will be playing the beta with some special guests. We will also be giving away tons of keys during the stream and winners can start playing the beta THREE DAYS EARLY starting on April 15th at 3pm PT! You will also have additional opportunities to win keys throughout that weekend. We will have more information to share on the stream shortly so stay tuned!

We are looking forward to you all jumping into the Gears of War 4 Beta and we value the feedback during this period. Please make sure to sign-up for our new Gears Feedback Program to help us make a better Gears! https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/gears-feedback-program

See you all in the beta!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damn right.

Pez, and any other Coalition dev reading this - continue what you're doing, which is sticking to the Gears 3 formula and improving it. It's the best formula multiplayer-wise, Gears isn't my favorite MP shooter game right now for nothing.

End of embargo date inching closer and closer, can't wait.

Moofers

Damn, I just got my Gears Xbone bundle three weeks ago. I probably won't get a beta code until the last day or something. Fuck. I specifically jumped on because I knew the beta was coming.

I dont think it looks terrible, but yeah Id have to agree that it doesnt look great either.

I think the reason people may be a little upset is that the expectation was for this game to the xbone's graphical showcase the same way the franchise always has been. But based on this gameplay this game wont come anywhere near Quantum Break. Id say COD BO III looks better than this actually.

But it'd be much more fair to wait for a single player demo at E3 before coming to a conclusive judgement. I'll wait until then. I like Gears for the single player anyway.

Mufc1427

I dont think it looks terrible, but yeah Id have to agree that it doesnt look great either.

I think the reason people may be a little upset is that the expectation was for this game to the xbone's graphical showcase the same way the franchise always has been. But based on this gameplay this game wont come anywhere near Quantum Break. Id say COD BO III looks better than this actually.

But it'd be much more fair to wait for a single player demo at E3 before coming to a conclusive judgement. I'll wait until then. I like Gears for the single player anyway.
The campaign is going to look significantly better than the multiplayer since it runs at 30 fps and no at 60 like the multiplayer portion.

R3TRODYCE

Nice, I started playing GowUE the day before it released so I should get in fairly early. I hope the beta sells me on Gow4.

aBarreras

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

Oooooh, I missed this as I posted - signed up already.

Expected, but now as I don't have an XB1 yet, I'm gonna miss out on beta rewards - unless having the beta downloaded on your Gamertag is enough I might actually miss out on this, oh boy.

And most importantly, it's so reassuring and smart to see that they have implemented this Feedback Program for fan & community feedback. The Coalition is really keeping my faith in them high for Gears 4, I love it.

Top Bottom