• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Killzone: Shadow Fall review

Zakalwe

Banned
That sounds like a click bait review, as they have mentioned the unfathomable craziness around framerates...

What?

Framrates are an important issue when it comes to gaming, which is why it's such a hottopic. This is especially true for the FPS genre, where frame rates matter a little more due to the gameplay.

And as next gen offer better visual fidelity which frame rate improvements are a massive part of, them being a focus of the scoring is perfectly resonable.

GodofWine

8 is a good score, the game is selling like crazy, it will have the best SP of all the launch shooters and the MP will thrive.

Im ok with all of this.

Replicant

Hey look guys, they finally release direct screencaps:

killzone_988604b.jpg

killzone_988504b.jpg

killzone_988574b.jpg

Finally the compressed youtube bullshit is coming to an end.

Hmmm, delicious. It's a shame I SUCK badly at FPS.

waypoetic

Banned
How can Polygon give Gies that game for review? They should make their number one PS fanboy review Titanfall for Xbone. It's only fair :p

Kyleoty

Neo Member
Don't need a 10/10 to pick it up and see how a game built from the ground up for this hardware looks and feels. Can't wait to play it.... Knack on the other hand. It's up for sale if anyone wants it. :(

RooMHM

When 30 fps is phenomenal framerate and resolution disparity is voluntarily ignored you know this generation is off to a great start. It might be even worse than latest generation...

Coolwhip

Banned
Sony really fucked up with the launch line-up wich is absurd for a console focused on gaming.

It always cracks me up how quick people jump to these conclusions.

One reviewer gives an 8 and a Microsoft funded website gives a 5. Doom and gloom? They are NUMBERS given out by INDIVIDUALS.

This is not specific for Killzone though, I don't know if the game is any good.

peace

Neo Member
8 out of 10 is very good, or it should be. In terms of game play the Killzone games are a 7 out of 10, max, and I love FPS, so I wasn't expecting much more from this. It will be an experience to see what we can expect, graphics-wise, and I'd definitely buy the game.

Sony really fucked up with the launch line-up wich is absurd for a console focused on gaming.

You only have so many resources. If you are committed to supporting your current console full on, like Sony has (and Microsoft and Nintendo didn't), it leaves less resources for launch. Imagine The Last of Us and GT6 for launch.

You have to set priorities. The games will come eventually. This happens every launch.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Just finished watching gametrailers video review and it is what I expected, don't get the game for its single player, multiplayer is where it really shines.

Maulik

But how are these reviewers adequately reviewing multi player so quickly? Are they able to pass judgment just by playing a few controlled rounds with other journos in the span of a 48hour media event?

Elios83

Seems like a decent game which showcases the PS4 power.
It's still just a launch title. COD Ghosts had a similar reception and it's not like BF4 got universal praise either.

Parmenide

Heeeh? That's hardly on topic.
Killzone SF is a launch game and it wasn't well recived by the critic like Knack. I simply made a conclusion.
It always cracks me up how quick people jump to these conclusions.

One reviewer gives an 8 and a Microsoft funded website gives a 5. Doom and gloom? They are NUMBERS given out by INDIVIDUALS.

This is not specific for Killzone though, I don't know if the game is any good.
I don't care too much about scores, but every review so far have pointed out that the game is state of the art technically but is totally forgettable.
You only have so many resources. If you are committed to supporting your current console full on, like Sony has (and Microsoft and Nintendo didn't), it leaves less resources for launch. Imagine The Last of Us and GT6 for launch.

You have to set priorities. The games will come eventually. This happens every launch.
I understand this, but still it's a bit underwhelming.
I've already paid my PS4 and untill today i was confident about my choice, but now...

Its Xb1 fanboys who are hoping that their exclusives (Ryse, DR3 and Killer Instinct) will trump ours so they can have bragging rights.

It would be ironic though if Shadowfall ends up being the killer shooter app that gets more people to flock over to PS4.
You saying "our" means your part of the problem as well. These are videogames, not a warzone. Don't pick sides.

velociraptor

So we should stop complaining and stuck with low standards and shit? Because, things never change? I do feel like more people are more sensitive to how important a solid technical execution is for a great gameplay experience, native res and 60FPS being a part of it. PC gaming in a sense is the best teacher here. It's hard to go back to consoles, I was consoles only and while I feel like Sony did a great job all things considered, PS4 as no appeal to me so far, just because of framerate issues...

That said, the direct feed screenshots also have plenty of aliasing.

Well, that explains everything. So phenomenal > phenomal I guess. I can live with that.
Keep in mind Shadowfall's development began as as a 30FPS game. Who knows; perhaps the next game will aim for 60FPS across the board. I think the framerate is fine.

Dunlop

Its Xb1 fanboys who are hoping that their exclusives (Ryse, DR3 and Killer Instinct) will trump ours so they can have bragging rights.

lol

I wasn't expecting a revolutionary game as a launch title, plus Killzone would not be the game to do that.

Looks purdy, shows off the system and I'm sure I will have fun playing it

I see a lot of people here thinking all of a sudden this game sucks, others calling out some reviews ( your usual review thread) but I see something better. Could it be that game critics are finally being more harsh and awarding less high end score and actually using the rest of the scale? Its a bit early to come to this conclusion but I do hope.

velociraptor

Just had a look at metacritic. Holy shit, these reviews are horrible.

Killzone 2 = 91
Killzone 3 = 84
Killzone Shadowfall = 74

It can't be that bad, can it?

Top Bottom