• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at a retail Switch game(Bomberman)

-shadow-

What's up with the complaints about plastic waste? Do we also do this for disc based games that can easily slim down to a slim jewel case size but they don't?

Ohhh, i like the inside art. Now we just need cartridges with some color or some glitter or some holographic art or something.

Unfortunate how empty this looks.
Since games don't come with manuals anymore, and with the Switch carts being so small, the plastic box is ridiculous.

edit: that's probably the reason all games will have inside art.

Reddaye

Banned
Love the art, and the overall look of the cases...but man oh man that's a lot of wasted plastic. I wonder why they chose to use the longer cases, and not something like the 3DS uses? To prevent confusion on shelves?

wrowa

Love the art, and the overall look of the cases...but man oh man that's a lot of wasted plastic. I wonder why they chose to use the longer cases, and not something like the 3DS uses? To prevent confusion on shelves?

3DS size would imply that the Switch is just a new handheld when it's supposed to be something new altogether.

Goli

3DS size would imply that the Switch is just a new handheld when it's supposed to be something new altogether.

You know, it'd be cool if they made a new type of box considering this. To set it apart from both traditional consoles AND handhelds, what if it had triangular boxes? or hexagonal ones?

Plum

You know, it'd be cool if they made a new type of box considering this. To set it apart from both traditional consoles AND handhelds, what if it had triangular boxes? or hexagonal ones?

Retailers would absolutely hate them if they did something like that lol

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So, like, some kinda toy?

Jawmuncher

The size of the box should've been more similar to vita.
But i get why the box is bigger. It's to ease people into paying $60 for a portable game. If these were the size of 3DS or Vita cases it would make people question why they're paying more.

sugarless

No more manuals. This industry...

Having worked on many manuals before and always gained satisfaction in seeing a little quality booklet as the result, I'm gonna miss them too. But I imagine the amount of effort that goes into writing, translating and laying out manuals, whether digital or physical, is increasingly seen as wasted given the likely rather small number of people who ever read them. Anything to reduce wasted effort overall can only be good.

Don't get me wrong, I speak as someone who reads through every digital manual on 3DS and Wii U, so I'll be glad to still have that at least.

Glass Joe

Having worked on many manuals before and always gained satisfaction in seeing a little quality booklet as the result, I'm gonna miss them too. But I imagine the amount of effort that goes into writing, translating and laying out manuals, whether digital or physical, is increasingly seen as wasted given the likely rather small number of people who ever read them. Anything to reduce wasted effort overall can only be good.

Don't get me wrong, I speak as someone who reads through every digital manual on 3DS and Wii U, so I'll be glad to still have that at least.

Sorry to be a bummer, but I read a digital manual for Switch games is NOT a requirement.

The cartridge format lives on.

Yes, I know it's technically a card, not a cartridge. Still, it's an evolution of the format. They're still carts to me and I love that the format has been in continuous use for 40+ years.

halfbeast

Banned

I know it makes sense, why bother putting effort in a manual, when the fanbase do a much better job with their wiki pages. but I do miss the days when you opened that case/box and the inside was just overflowing with stuff.

8bit

Knows the Score
I don't think I've seen a manual for some time, usually the included bits of paper are for free in-game hats or adverts for origin/ubi/squareenix tracking clubs.

cand

Maybe the case is big for the possibility of collections or bundles that come with more than one card?

For example I can see KH collection comming with 1.5 + 2.5 in one card and 2.8 on another. Same package.

shhhh no tears... only dreams now

Thatanas

The size of the boxes is also for marketing purposes. You want people to look at something, draw them in with cool / bright / enticing colours.

Can't do that with the smallest of cases.

entremet

The size of the boxes is also for marketing purposes. You want people to look at something, draw them in with cool / bright / enticing colours.

Can't do that with the smallest of cases.

Correct.

Also for those suggesting tiny cases, are you not aware of the concept of shrink? Many tiny things are in bigger cases to prevent them from being easily lifted by shoplifters (many who are also retail employees statistically)

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
I think the preowned business is what's holding that back tbh.

Retailers want cases for their preowned stuff.
Or maybe as sad as it is to hear the average consumer does not care. Hard to find any product in store that doesn't have ton of wasted packaging, except for food where shelf space is limited.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I hope the Switch has an eject button on it though (my Vita doesnt which is annoying).
I mean you probably just push the card in as in any card using system ever.
Edit wait no that's a lie.

Man. I want this digital to always have it, but I just love the box art and case design so much.
Maybe I can just buy a case off somebody.

entremet

Man. I want this digital to always have it, but I just love the box art and case design so much.
Maybe I can just buy a case off somebody.

The boxes do look nice, but this is also a portable system. I find the convenience of having all your games accessible on it more appealing.

Top Bottom