• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at a retail Switch game(Bomberman)

Oregano

Or maybe as sad as it is to hear the average consumer does not care. Hard to find any product in store that doesn't have ton of wasted packaging, except for food where shelf space is limited.

True but there's obviously a reason we went from cardboard to plastic after the GBA.

Plum

Looking forward to seeing the inside of the Zelda case. Whether it's those Japanese ones posted before (which, as they seem to be for advertising, seems unlikely) or something else it's bound to be good.

mrk8885

Banned
The boxes do look nice, but this is also a portable system. I find the convenience of having all your games accessible on it more appealing.

Agreed. Getting Zelda digitally due to the special edition, and that will just live in my system. Otherwise im going all digital except for major nintendo 1st party releases like mario, etc. I'll probably stick to digital for kart.

I know this game gets some hate here but I can't wait to buy it!

I think me and my friends we will have a blast with it
Multiplayer Bomberman can never not be fun. Don't believe the haters.

Couldn't give two fucks what it looks like or how many frames it runs at.

Bomberman was never about the graphics.

deoee

Buy Digital

I do in fact, buy 90% digital.

It's still a shame because the boxes will be produced nevertheless. I know other companies have similar sizes (and it's shitty too, PS1 boxes were the best size imo.) but they at least have to fit a BD so it's not AS much of a waste as this abomination is :D

Yukinari

Again its astounding that we're seeing more stuff about the Switch not directly from Nintendo.

By the time this system launches we'll see everything it has to offer solely from translated interviews, leaks and fan feedback, not from Nintendo itself.

entremet

I do in fact, buy 90% digital.

It's still a shame because the boxes will be produced nevertheless. I know other companies have similar sizes (and it's shitty too, PS1 boxes were the best size imo.) but they at least have to fit a BD so it's not AS much of a waste as this abomination is :D

Again, it's not just marketing, which is a big component. We're a visual species. It's also for loss prevention. Tiny boxes are easier to steal.

Petrae

Huge-ass case for a tiny game and literally nothing else. I could see it if there was a manual or a tiny poster in there (Bomberman's anniversary, and no poster?), but this is just a serious waste of plastic.

deoee

Again, it's not just marketing, which is a big component. We're a visual species. It's also for loss prevention. Tiny boxes are easier to steal.

I don't really think stealing is a factor for the box size.
In Germany almost every new game is put into plastic cases which have an alarm on them which is removed when you pay.
So the actual box size doesn't matter

entremet

I don't really think stealing is a factor for the box size.
In Germany almost every new game is put into plastic cases which have an alarm on them which is removed when you pay.
So the actual box size doesn't matter

What's the smallest case size though? That will answer your question. Also shoppers aren't the only ones who steal, but employees. Who puts those alarms on the cases?

If you're expecting a case the size of credit card, that will never happen both for loss prevention and marketing.

Rizzi

Two things bug me. Why is are there clips for a manual above the cartridge if there's no manual, and who the heck celebrates something's 33rd anniversary?
I really miss physical manuals. :(

grim-tales

Why is that annoying? You push the card in a bit, and it pops out....just like 3ds, DS, digital cameras, etc.

Oh yes you're right. My bad, thats not that bad but when you put the cover back on after insertion... say you then want to put a new game in. It's tricky to take off.

entremet

Two things bug me. Why is are there clips for a manual above the cartridge if there's no manual, and who the heck celebrates something's 33rd anniversary?

Let's be honest, did you ever read physical manuals?

I loved them in the SNES days. Most were full color. But since the 360 days, they've been shrinking and mostly in B/W with horrible layouts.

If you want some amazing manuals, Japanese PSX manuals are the bees knees.

Bluth54

I'm sure there are clips for a manual because Nintendo is making one type of box and its there for anyone who wants to put a manual in the box.

Pinky

Banned
Maybe it's my age showing, but it still amazes me that a massive game like BotW will squeeze into a tiny, little card like that.

I mean, look how far we've come...

549023-snk_009.jpg

It tickles me. :p

jackal27

Banned
These carts are adorable the cases are real slick. I still think the carts are too small personally, but keeping them in cases should help.

Again its astounding that we're seeing more stuff about the Switch not directly from Nintendo.

By the time this system launches we'll see everything it has to offer solely from translated interviews, leaks and fan feedback, not from Nintendo itself.

I wonder if maybe this was one of the ideas going into the launch. Don't talk a lot about it, and let fansites, newsites, etc talk about it and reveal things. There's a ton of talk about the Switch going on right now in the lead up to launch and Nintendo hasn't had to say a single word.

To tech folks, this cartridge thingie in 2017 it means what i think it does..No more piracy? in other words no free gms for bum peasant pirates?

How small exactly would not be a waste of plastic while also being visible at a retail store?
Considering the retailer in question is likely to have an empty box on the shelf which you hand to the counter any size would do.

Personally I'd have liked small disposable packaging like SD cards but that brings up matters of people losing carts (maybe make an official storage case like they used to have on Club Nintendo for DS games) and also how much info the box has to cram on it will be practically unreadable. Similar things can be said for same aspect ratio but 3DS packaging size.

jonno394

I'm not sure if the Japanese one was placeholder, but the interior artwork on the Austrailian one definitely looks worse...

For reference:
C3LraD9UYAA_bKC.jpg

I'm pretty certain they were just promo boxes to act as advertisements for the games and what they did, hence why a lot of them had "open/check inside for more information" printed on the front.

Tansut

I'm bothered by the cart slot being at the bottom instead of the center. It's ultimately an irrational issue to have, but it's still there.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm bothered by the cart slot being at the bottom instead of the center. It's ultimately an irrational issue to have, but it's still there.

There's holding things for paper stuff above it.

I think the BOTW one looks superb, it looks like someone made a Ghibli poster with Link on it, it has such atmosphere.
I want a poster of it SO. BAD. There are a bunch of BotW posters out there but I haven't found a single one that uses the art from the box. I want to frame it and hang it on my wall in my living room.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Uhh I don't think any company has gone out of their way to show the inside of a game case lol

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Last first-party Nintendo manual was Super Smash Bros. For Wii U I'm pretty sure.

That is an awful waste of plastic

I strongly disagree, Switch games are $40-60 USD as an average. The cases need to be large enough to discourage theft and serve as promotional material for the purchase.

Why the hell are the boxes so big? I don't get why we need huge cases for DS-size cartridges.

This is both a handheld and a home console.

3DS games didn't reach $60 USD. Seriously, why are you complaining about a small, pretty package? It's smaller than Wii U's.

Top Bottom