• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at a retail Switch game(Bomberman)

MrFortyFive

It does seem unnecessarily large but I get it given the marketing and anti-theft aspect. Love the red spine and interior art.

JCH!

How big do you think they should be?

Well that's a good question. 3DS size maybe? Maybe a bit (not much) bigger to make a distinction between handhelt/home system. Certainly not a box in which the actual product takes only 5% of the space.

This is both a handheld and a home console.

3DS games didn't reach $60 USD. Seriously, why are you complaining about a small, pretty package? It's smaller than Wii U's.

What the hell does the price of the product have to do with the case size? Do $250 SD cards come in monster boxes? Seriously, you're not making any sense.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well that's a good question. 3DS size maybe? Maybe a bit (not much) bigger to make a distinction between handhelt/home system. Certainly not a box in which the actual product takes only 5% of the space.

There is not a large difference in plastic used between these cases and 3DS cases.

Marketing is also important. If it's 3DS size, it could be confused for a handheld-only game. It needs to be a) different enough to catch the attention of a consumer and b) large enough to tell people that it's a home console.

Do $250 SD cards come in monster boxes? Seriously, you're not making any sense.

These are not "monster" boxes. They are quite small. They need to be able to advertise what the game is.

Mr-Joker

Banned
No more manuals. This industry...

No-one reads them anymore plus with tutorial and advancement of technology they can just add manual into the game itself.

I stopped reading manual around the Wii era and still don't.

Two things bug me. Why is are there clips for a manual above the cartridge if there's no manual,

Because Nintendo still incluces pamplets for other titles and promote the e-shop, they also include health warning and warranty.

and who the heck celebrates something's 33rd anniversary?

Because Konami missed Bomberman 30th anniversary and only made it for his 33rd because of Nintendo.

The N-Gage did plenty wrong. It was ahead of its time on a few things as well and It had a few fun titles.

It's funny because I remember the two things that would always come up when talking about the N-Gage were "side talking" and it's taco-like shape both of which seemed like hilarious/bad things at the time but people getting upset/annoyed by that stuff seems downright ridiculous in a time where people now hold tablet-sized phones to their face.

It's still funny to me that Konami actually released a game for Switch when everybody made jokes when Nintendo posted that partners chart.

Hope it does well, I love Bomberman.

HardRojo

Love these cases and the fact that there's artwork on the back is a great touch. Man I think I'll definitely be getting a Switch later next year, hopefully more games that appeal to me will have been announced and released by then, I think I'm starting to like the concept of the Switch.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
What the hell does the price of the product have to do with the case size? Do $250 SD cards come in monster boxes? Seriously, you're not making any sense.

For fears of theft, it's better for a small, high-priced product to be in a larger case. It's preferable for retailers, and collectors love large artwork too so it's never been a big concern once keep cases became a thing.

Nintendo is also trying to sell this as a full, premium home console with lots of full-priced games. Also, there'd probably be way more complaints if the cases were tiny anyways.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Multiplayer Bomberman can never not be fun. Don't believe the haters.

Couldn't give two fucks what it looks like or how many frames it runs at.

Bomberman was never about the graphics.

But it is about tight 4-directional controls, and the thought of not having a D-pad for this makes me shiver a bit.

But it is about tight 4-directional controls, and the thought of not having a D-pad for this makes me shiver a bit.
Yeah, that is a good point. I am getting a pro controller myself, so shouldn't be an issue for me. Also, I have no doubt Nintendo will release a dpad joycon. It sucks that it has to be purchased seperately though.

scamander

Banned
I don't really think stealing is a factor for the box size.
In Germany almost every new game is put into plastic cases which have an alarm on them which is removed when you pay.
So the actual box size doesn't matter

I'm from Germany and haven't seen those in years.

Mediking

I finally decided to add this to my Switch experience on launch day. I need something besides Zelda so I dont get burnout on Zelda.

Bomberman R looks interesting and hopefully this game will inspire Konami to do better.

Hopefully cute and charming stuff is everywhere in the game.

OmegaDL50

To tech folks, this cartridge thingie in 2017 it means what i think it does..No more piracy? in other words no free gms for bum peasant pirates?

No. Not at all. The 3DS uses game cards as well and there is plenty of piracy on it.

Give someone enough time to reverse engineer any piece of hardware and they will find a work around.

Some more Australian retailers are getting copies of Bomberman in. (This came from r/NintendoSwitch)

gbdY8EM.jpg

The OP said they've received these so early because they haven't been sent out by Nintendo's distributors, but by someone else. They also said they don't have any other Switch gear yet.

EDIT: quoted, didn't realise how massive that pic is

Jerm411

Was in my local GS yesterday and they had all their Switch placeholder stuff up and the promotional stuff....was actually surprised at how small the console packaging and box is. I don't really know what I expected lol but it threw me off at first...really like the game cases and the artwork and aesthetics I saw.

also

Banned
The size of the box should've been more similar to vita.
But i get why the box is bigger. It's to ease people into paying $60 for a portable game. If these were the size of 3DS or Vita cases it would make people question why they're paying more.

Shoulda gone with the 3DS style cases. Those huge ones make no sense.

Would be nice if they used a size like the 3ds cases. So much wasted space these cases are for such a tiny card
The cases look roughly the same size as PSP cases and going by Wikipedia, those are only 4.4% larger than 3DS cases in terms of surface area; 382.48 cm^2 vs 366.36 cm^2. Vita cases are notably smaller, though; ~13% smaller at 318.3 cm^2.
Of course it also depends on the thickness of the plastic and 3DS cases did have holes in them to cut down on the material even further, but that could still be introduced later in Switch's life.
I think the smallness of the game card and lack of manual is just making it seem like a bigger waste of plastic than it actually is as the size is more or less the same as that of the cases for DS, 3DS, PSP and a just bit bigger than Vita.

big_erk

I am really amazed at the number of people complaining about the size of the cases. I don't want tiny ass cases for my games. I collect my games and like to display my game cases. But it looks like most are missing the obvious reason. They want a standard size case for most applications. If one dev wants to include a manual or a poster, they can without having to make a custom sized case.

SD sized cases are impractical for retail, and plastering your games to a chunk of cardboard like most SD cards would look like cheap shit.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
SD sized cases are impractical for retail, and plastering your games to a chunk of cardboard like most SD cards would look like cheap shit.

Yeah, please god no. The vast, vast majority of physical purchasers do not want games to be packaged like SD cards. Many of the few complaining about good, decently-sized plastic cases don't even buy physical to begin with. I don't throw my keep cases away, and they're called keep cases for a reason.

Top Bottom