• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at Chris Evans as Captain America

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Super Soldier Serum (or whatever it's called) can turn a small and skinny man into a strong and fit dude, why doesn't the government start with a strong and fit guy? Then they might get a mini-Hulk or something much more impressive and intimidating.

Good trailer. I'm not a Johnston fan at all, I mean his last two movies were Jurassic Park 3 and The Wolfman, but I get a really good vibe from this.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Summary Man said:
If the Super Soldier Serum (or whatever it's called) can turn a small and skinny man into a strong and fit dude, why doesn't the government start with a strong and fit guy? Then they might get a mini-Hulk or something much more impressive and intimidating.
If it fails you won't be losing a valuable asset?

Blader

Summary Man said:

It's an experiment that may or may not work, and may or may not kill the guy. You wouldn't use a strong and fit soldier for a guinea pig, would you?

And if you saw The Incredible Hulk, you'd see what happens when they give the serum to a military guy:

MovieAbomination.jpg

Summary Man said:
Because a weak man knows the value of strength ;)

Looks good, looking forward to this. And Thor. More to Thor actually.

markatisu

Summary Man said:

more impressive and more intimidating but also less controllable

I also think the govt would be more interested in taking the weak and making them into the strong instead of taking strong and making stronger. There is a drug for that its called steroids

GhaleonQ

Yeah, the floating head wouldn't work even if they did it better just because (although Evans has, potentially, the face of an innocent weakling) his jaw and neck are noticeably muscular. He should have cut weight before pumping up to look emaciated.

That said, it's totally awesome that he's just a big slab of meat, a la the action start of 1910s-1950s film. It's perfect, and the design fits into the stylized version of the period. I like it a lot.

Nesotenso

Summary Man said:

I think the rationale given in the trailer is that Dr. Erskine (Stanley Tucci )chose him because he was weak prior to the experiment and thus he will value the power, responsibilities that come with it more.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Summary Man said:
why doesn't the government start with a strong and fit guy? Then they might get a mini-Hulk or something much more impressive and intimidating.

look what happened to professional baseball.

Has anyone seen Norton's Incredible Hulk? Tim Roth's character, Blonsky is injected with the SS serum and he doesn't bulk up. But he does become ripped and sweats like a hooker in church. WASSUP WIT DAT??

Nesotenso said:
Watching this in HD now, and there are definitely a couple of "skinny Steve" shots that could use another pass (at the 0:45 and 1:00 marks, for example). But in other shots, he looks really REALLY believable, like in the alleyway fight or talking with Bucky or in the lineup getting talked to by TLJ. They've still got until June/July to clean up the rough spots, so I think they'll be able to pull it off.

Has anyone seen Norton's Incredible Hulk? Tim Roth's character, Blonsky is injected with the SS serum and he doesn't bulk up. But he does become ripped and sweats like a hooker in church. WASSUP WIT DAT??
Two words: Vita. Rays.

Blader

bangladesh said:

The serum is just one part of the whole process. Never mind the one in TIH was a replica, not the original thing.

bangladesh said:

They inject him with the serum but don't perform the entire process that it's only a part of.

sharbhund

Summary Man said:

It won't make you superhuman, it will just take you to the peak of human athletic potential, so everyone that receives the injection would be as strong and fast as Captain America, no matter what they were before.

As for why the serum had a different effect on Tim Roth's character, my understanding is that the technology behind the 'Vita-Rays' chamber was lost after it was used on Steve Rogers.

I thought this looked pretty awesome, personally. Something about skinny Cap is off though. I think it is just his same voice coming from the body. It doesn't look bad, but it bothers me for some reason. Hype level +1.

Blader5489 said:
It's an experiment that may or may not work, and may or may not kill the guy. You wouldn't use a strong and fit soldier for a guinea pig, would you?

I'm sure there would be tons of willing applicants for such an experiment, even if there was a possibility of death. The draw of becoming superhuman would be a major temptation for many people, and it's not like the military would be devastated to lose a single man, no matter how strong he may be. :) Regardless, what I said was only in jest (partly, at least), and it won't stop me from watching (and hopefully enjoying) this movie.

And if you saw The Incredible Hulk, you'd see what happens when they give the serum to a military guy:

MovieAbomination.jpg

Purely out of curiosity, but what's the difference between the super soldier serum used for Captain American and for the Abomination? The Abomination was created by injecting liquid, correct? In the comics, is there a difference between the two methods which might explain why one man turns into a monster? And did the Abomination take more than the recommended dose? I honestly can't remember...

But like I said, it's no big deal, just something I thought of. :)

EDIT: Seems like some of my questions were answered while I slowly typed this post. Haha.

Nesotenso

Spike Spiegel said:
Watching this in HD now, and there are definitely a couple of "skinny Steve" shots that could use another pass (at the 0:45 and 1:00 marks, for example). But in other shots, he looks really REALLY believable, like in the alleyway fight or talking with Bucky or in the lineup getting talked to by TLJ. They've still got until June/July to clean up the rough spots, so I think they'll be able to pull it off.

Agree with you word for word. The lab scenes look believable but some other scenes as you point out, look off.

Solo

psykomyko

Okay skinny Cap looks ridiculous because they overstated his scrawniness. That mofo looked smaller than some junior high school kids. There's skinny and then there's freakishly small skinny.

Otherwise it looked pretty fun. And surprising indeed, but I'm not getting my hopes up until I see the full film. Johnston is so bad.

This summer's not looking that good, but First Class will probably be the best of the bunch.

Talon

The trailer's pretty meh, but I'm pretty excited about this movie. I'm a sucker for anything set prior to the 70s anyways. World War II + Superhero nonsense.

I'm there.

Solo

Talon- said:
Solo, I think it's 'cause we're not comic nerds.

Just movie/tv nerds.

Perhaps. But using my example of Star Trek - I had never watched a second of any Star Trek series nor seen any of the movies, nor did I have any interest in the reboot, until I saw that trailer. To me, that is a great trailer, when the images, editing and music can come together and turn something that you had no interest in seeing into something you can't miss.

Frankly, none of these 4 summer superhero flick trailers have done that for me. GL was underwhelming despite my continued hype for Campbell to deliver, Thor looked terribad, X-men relied far too heavily on the older films, and Cap's trailer just kind exists.

Solo

Discotheque said:
The music was definitely a huge factor in that Star Trek trailer.

Without question. Thats why I consider cutting a great trailer something of an artform. A poor selection can tank a trailer while and inspired choice can make it unforgettable.

New trailer exceeded lots of expectations, that's for sure. Gives an idea of what's to come and hopefully doesn't give away great sequences.

Solo said:
I just don't understand GAF at times...

For an example of a great recent trailer, look no further than Star Trek - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ETDE0VGJY4&feature=related
If you want to go a bit older (and even better), ROTK - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAI7w0vTqBM&hd=1

THESE are great trailers, worthy of watching multiple times. But this one? I just don't understand GAF at times...

Dude, don't try so hard. Just leave the thread and let people enjoy the trailer. Why rain on their parade, anyway?

Solo

Littleberu said:
Dude, don't try so hard. Just leave the thread and let people enjoy the trailer. Why rain on their parade, anyway?

I'm not raining on anyone's parade. I'm just genuinely curious as to what would inspire such a reaction from this trailer. But fine, fair enough. I'll leave
and go to the other CA thread :lol

Screw the haters. I am so jazzed for this movie. Of course, I have been a Captain America fan for most of my life, so I am somewhat biased.

I like that they seem to be driving home the transformation aspect of it, showing it is his character that makes him a true super solider, not just the serum.

I got just a tease of what I am really wanting, which is Cap beating Nazi ass. Now I want more.

Slayven

Summary Man said:
Purely out of curiosity, but what's the difference between the super soldier serum used for Captain American and for the Abomination? The Abomination was created by injecting liquid, correct? In the comics, is there a difference between the two methods which might explain why one man turns into a monster? And did the Abomination take more than the recommended dose? I honestly can't remember...
In the comics Cap got the serum and blasted by vita-rays. The serum by itself will actually make you more powerful then cap but the serum will start to break down and cause you to go insane unless you get vita-rays to stabilized the serum.

Rentahamster said:
If the process worked so well on Cap, why didn't the military make like a thousand more Super Soldiers? Or did they?
Possible movie spoilers, definite comic spoilers:
Dr. Erskine, the scientist responsible for inventing the Super Soldier serum and creation process, is gunned down by a Nazi spy shortly after Rogers is transformed and the laboratory is partly destroyed in the ensuing chaos. Since Erskine didn't trust his government handlers fully, he kept parts of the process to himself and never committed them to paper, making Rogers the program's first and only successful result. Other scientists would try for decades to recreate the process with limited success, and a government program dedicated to recreating the Super Soldier would ultimately yield (among others) Weapon X aka Wolverine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom