• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at Chris Evans as Captain America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

X-Frame said:
I don't understand this.

There's so many bodybuilders and athletes that don't have to be on the verge of puking in order to get Cap's chamber scene body -- and with Evans having almost unlimited resources such as advice, food, sleep, etc I don't see that being much of a problem unless they waited too long before getting Evans to train.

Bodybuilders and Athletes only train and train and train though. They don't have other jobs to do unlike the rest of us who have 9 to 5 jobs. Actors' schedule is presumably even more demanding than 9 to 5 jobs. They have to memorise their script, rehearse, and wake up early in the morning (as early as 3 or 4am). From what I read, they basically only had a few months to train Evans before the film started shooting. During that point, I assume Evans mostly just train and maybe rehearsed his script. But after film started shooting, to actually train as heavy as pre-shooting time was probably deemed unlikely by the producers as they need Evans to be healthy and ready at all times. So he probably had to just go into maintenance mode once the movie started shooting.

MisterHero

Teh Hamburglar said:
usa-weekend2-570x570.jpg

*masturbates furiously to fantasies of 3 way*
one step closer to the movie where Superman wields both Cap's shield and Mjolnir

YEEEESSSSS

t6qts8.jpg

Teh Hamburglar said:
Why does Superman need a shield? Hes freaking invulnerable.

Not against a kryptonite gun. I don't understand why he doesn't wear some kevlar given that it would weigh absolutely nothing for him and would offer him some protection against being stabbed or shot with kryptonite.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Teh Hamburglar said:
Why does Superman need a shield? Hes freaking invulnerable.

to block stuff that could actually wreck him...magic, the lanterns beams, kryptonite blasts, darkseids eye blasts...etc etc he's invulnerable to conventional human weaponry come on now.

spongebob-imagination.jpg

DonasaurusRex said:
to block stuff that could actually wreck him...magic, the lanterns beams, kryptonite blasts, darkseids eye blasts...etc etc he's invulnerable to conventional human weaponry come on now.

spongebob-imagination.jpg

So basically whatever the story requires of it. Superman has survived all kinds of crap without lugging a shield around. Thats just silly.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
H.Cornerstone said:
So I had always thought that weapon x program in the comics was a secret canadian organization. Did I mis-read something?

Originally it was a secret Canadian government attempt at having Canadian super soldiers as part of an international superhuman arms race basically.

It got retconned into being a US project though at some point.

MisterHero

Teh Hamburglar said:
So basically whatever the story requires of it. Superman has survived all kinds of crap without lugging a shield around. Thats just silly.
it's like the opposite of when Thanos killed everyone except a somewhat mere human (Captain America)

i call it the Inverse Survival Probability of a Superhero

Batman can defeat everything and is but a human, surviving makes him more interesting
Superman can actually survive everything but dies because it makes him more interesting

the more super you are the more likely you will die

back to the Avengers, wielding Mjolnir is kind of silly too since Superman completely overpowered it while Thor held it lol

Lebron

Teh Hamburglar said:
usa-weekend2-570x570.jpg

*masturbates furiously to fantasies of 3 way*
All they would need to do is throw in Brad Pitt and Idris Elba and I would have to rethink my life choices.

Still, winning.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Teh Hamburglar said:

What are you talking about , either way the shield is indestructible, and superman while highly durable is not, so why not have it , he's a smart guy he'd find a use for it for sure. And or batman would be like...give that shit to wonder woman dumbass.

Suairyu

Banned
Salvor.Hardin said:
Not against a kryptonite gun. I don't understand why he doesn't wear some kevlar given that it would weigh absolutely nothing for him and would offer him some protection against being stabbed or shot with kryptonite.
That'd...

well, damn, that does indeed make far too much sense for comics. In fact, that's a fucking perfect idea.

Suairyu said:
That'd...

well, damn, that does indeed make far too much sense for comics. In fact, that's a fucking perfect idea.

But how much do you want to bet that if Snyder implemented something similar in the upcoming film, there would be a huge outcry from enraged fanboys?

Suairyu

Banned
The Outsider said:
But how much do you want to bet that if Snyder implemented something similar in the upcoming film, there would be a huge outcry from enraged fanboys?
I... I dunno. If done the right way, with a knowing wink to the audience, it's just the sort of things fans could get behind.

It's like Bill Hicks and jokes about the American south. Bill Hicks loved the American South. It was his home. He loved it more than any man has a right to love it. And because he loved it so much, he saw all its faults and could be frank about them. And so a massive chunk of his material was specifically making fun about the American south.

Fans of comics should, mostly, fall into that category. I know most comics fans on GAF would.

The question is, would the vocal minority fall into that "I love it but can see it for what it is" camp, or would they be giving the huge outcry you theorise?

I just don't know. I want to believe the former. I wouldn't be surprised at the latter at all.

Fatghost said:
Originally it was a secret Canadian government attempt at having Canadian super soldiers as part of an international superhuman arms race basically.

It got retconned into being a US project though at some point.

the former would be so much more interesting...

Arment

The Outsider said:

Kevlar is much bulkier and harder to hide underneath a suit like Clark does with the tights.

Suairyu said:
I... I dunno. If done the right way, with a knowing wink to the audience, it's just the sort of things fans could get behind.

It's like Bill Hicks and jokes about the American south. Bill Hicks loved the American South. It was his home. He loved it more than any man has a right to love it. And because he loved it so much, he saw all its faults and could be frank about them. And so a massive chunk of his material was specifically making fun about the American south.

Fans of comics should, mostly, fall into that category. I know most comics fans on GAF would.

The question is, would the vocal minority fall into that "I love it but can see it for what it is" camp, or would they be giving the huge outcry you theorise?

I just don't know. I want to believe the former. I wouldn't be surprised at the latter at all.

Arment said:
Kevlar is much bulkier and harder to hide underneath a suit like Clark does with the tights.

To be honest with you both, I wasn't really thinking about the logistic nature of such an addition to the suit. I was more referring to the general Snyder backlash everyone seems to have, and how this would serve as yet another vehicle for it to continue.

Personally, I think it'd be interesting to implement something like that into the suit. But I also think that since the suit itself is so iconic, you don't really want to drastically alter the look, which something like this has the potential to do. So if it were up to me, I'd leave things well alone given this is a comic universe, although I could stand behind it in a film if it was implemented for practical purposes, and not based on aesthetics alone.

Suairyu

Banned
Arment said:
He's a spaceman with technology far in advanced of our own. Bullet-proof vests are typically just multiple layers of really tight-knit weave, stab-proof vests usually have a layer of that ballistic material gel-thing in them. I'm sure he can design a slim-fit version.

Salvor.Hardin said:
kryptonite gun
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the only reason Superman gets shot with any projectile, kryptonite or otherwise, is because the writer wants him to. Realistically, a kryptonite-tipped projectile would have to be moving at a ridiculously high ballistic speed to avoid having Superman see the projectile, recognize it as being kryptonite, and move safely out of said projectile's path faster than the eye can blink.

Even Luthor's kryptonite shiv from Returns wouldn't have worked had Superman not been standing on a continent composed partially of kryptonite and generating a large radiation field. His abilities were already compromised.

Spike Spiegel said:
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the only reason Superman gets shot with any projectile, kryptonite or otherwise, is because the writer wants him to. Realistically, a kryptonite-tipped projectile would have to be moving at a ridiculously high ballistic speed to avoid having Superman see the projectile, recognize it as being kryptonite, and move safely out of said projectile's path faster than the eye can blink.

Unless the bullet is coated in lead. He wouldn't be able to distinguish it apart from a regular lead bullet.

Edit: Now one might make the argument that by coating the kryptonite bullet in lead, it would not really affect him because the coating would effectively seal the harm of the kryptonite within, but wikipedia proves otherwise:

The surface of lead bullets fired at high velocity may melt due to hot gases behind and friction with the bore

Salvor.Hardin said:
Unless the bullet is coated in lead. He wouldn't be able to distinguish it apart from a regular lead bullet.

Edit: Now one might make the argument that by coating the kryptonite bullet in lead, it would not really affect him because the coating would effectively seal the the harm of the kryptonite within, wikipedia proves otherwise:
So the lead jacket of the bullet melts as it's leaving the barrel, exposing the kryptonite core, and we're back to Superman realizing a chunk of kryptonite is coming at him? Or the lead jacket stays intact but softens on impact with Superman's skin, preventing the kryptonite core from penetrating the surface?

Spike Spiegel said:
So the lead jacket of the bullet melts as it's leaving the barrel, exposing the kryptonite core, and we're back to Superman realizing a chunk of kryptonite is coming at him? Or the lead jacket stays intact but softens on impact with Superman's skin, preventing the kryptonite core from penetrating the surface?

I would assume the melting process of the lead coat is slower than the time it takes from the barrel of the gun to Superman's body. And because the lead is just a coat and not a shell, the detrimental effects of kryptonite would presumably stay in tact, presumably enough to puncture his skin.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
What if you blind Superman with a strobe light attachment that emits red sunlight radiation and then shoot him with a kryptonite bullet.

Salvor.Hardin said:
I would assume the melting process of the lead coat is slower than the time it takes from the barrel of the gun to Superman's body. And because the lead is just a coat and not a shell, the detrimental effects of kryptonite would presumably stay in tact, presumably enough to puncture his skin.
Wouldn't a thin lead coat be more likely to melt away or break apart as the bullet exits the muzzle, exposing the kryptonite core even faster?

fallengorn said:
What if you blind Superman with a strobe light attachment that emits red sunlight radiation and then shoot him with a kryptonite bullet.

Well then you're going to have an absurd story line like this:

spider-man.jpg

I actually do love this comic.

Edit: I guess I should explain that reference. Lex Luthor fires a gun at Spider-Man which irradiates his costume with sunlight similar to that emitted by a red sun, countering some of Superman's powers.

Spike Spiegel said:
Wouldn't a thin lead coat be more likely to melt away or break apart as the bullet exits the muzzle, exposing the kryptonite core even faster?

Someone with a better understanding of physics than I do could probably solve this, but I don't think the time between the bullet being shot and Superman getting hit would be enough for the heated molecules to react enough to tear the coat away.

MisterHero

I doubt any sort of Kryptonite is going to make Superman's skin lose its immense density, and sometimes it's proposed that his costume is made of Kryptonian materials so even that would be invulnerable

now I'm kinda sorry I derailed the thread from Cap lol

mr stroke

Funky Papa said:
Maybe he didn't want to get himself juiced to fuck like bodybuilders and athletes (who happen to have very short careers).

Many actors get some "temporal help" for their most demanding roles, but there are risks. Hair loss, bad temper, acne, swollen belly... Evans is smart for not risking his naturally great body.

who says Evans wasn't juicing? Guy has always had a great physic but was never that bulky, if he got that yoked in a couple months I would be stunned if he wasn't on something(along with the work outs and personal chef)

OmniGamer

Chris Evans didn't just go from Not Another Teen Movie to this in a flash...he was noticeably more buff a couple of years ago in The Losers.

I recall on interview with Will Smith around the time of I Am Legend that his trainer likes him to maintain a pretty good "baseline" physique, so that if a movie role requires him to bulk up, he can get there relatively quickly.

Platy

His shield is ..... damaged ?

Salvor.Hardin said:

Because Superman biggest problem is that he already has too FEW flaws ....so it is kinda hard to cheer for someone who is gonna win so easily =P

Loxley

So, apparently this awesome poster was given to the film's crew in a limited number, and won't be available for wide release :( :(

I love the nod to this:

Bleepey

Loxley said:
So, apparently this awesome poster was given to the film's crew in a limited number, and won't be available for wide release :( :(

I love the nod to this:

I was wondering if they'd have a nod to that in the movie,

Salvor.Hardin said:
I wish this movie didn't looks so much like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

This summer has not been kind to comic book movies.

Thor and X-Men both scored better than expected. Both have done pretty well at the box office as well. Only Green Lantern appears to be a bomb so far. Also, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was a really fun movie. I have no problem with any similarities this movie bears to it.

Nesotenso

Salvor.Hardin said:
I wish this movie didn't looks so much like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

This summer has not been kind to comic book movies.

If anything its going to be more Raiders of the Lost Ark and Castle Wolfenstein like.

Tizoc

I really hope this movie does well (I'll keep whispering this before the movie starts).
I have nothing against showing Steve's life prior to becoming Cap since that was actually used in a recent miniseries by Ed Brubaker (which was pretty good IMO).
Oh and for anyone who has read the spoilers about the Avengers movie
do you think we'll see those 'expatriates' cameo in the movie?
One thing I hope they do right is have Cap not be a liability to the soldiers; as in everyone thinks he'll get them killed but he saves the day on say their first mission together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom