• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at David Harbour as Hellboy

Apt101

He looks the part. I guess it's kind of difficult to get Hellboy wrong though - he's so iconic and original looking.

Qvoth

jesus that looks so much like perlman it's kinda unsettling
just from that picture i can already get a feel of the vibe they're going for the movie, definitely gonna be great

Ron Pearlman, while awesome, is also closing in on 70 years of age.

Even if he had wanted to reprise the role, I wouldn’t blame them for going with somebody younger.

Bishop89

Wow that looks pretty much the same.

Ron's version was great though, new guy has to get the personality right, and I can't imagine hearing anyone else's voice

Jombie

Looks cool; I like that his body doesn't look like it's made of latex. As much as I adore del Toro, I get why they wanted to take this in more of a horror-oriented direction.

Bold One

Damn, son

Xlz1iA4.png

dosh

The right hand of doom looks oddly angular. It's a weird choice. Everything else is great, down to that red color.

FyreWulff

it looks good but it also looks like they fired perlmen because they knew they could makeup someone to look like the perlman hellboy anyway for less money

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This just popped up on the official Hellboy Facebook page.

Send me to hell if old, etc.
Good.

DJodRG2WsAEl4p-.jpg

From Harbour's twitter.
Good.

Good.

I'm really liking what I'm seeing. I guess that Del Toro's vision was kind of closer to the comic in the sense that it mimicked Mignola's complex yet minimalistic art, but I always felt like the muscle suit looked like ass when uncovered. He didn't look menacing or freakish enough. And Hellboy is suppossed to be an outcast due to its demonic nature. Not exactly grimdark stuff, but most people should be afraid in his presence.

I'm also glad to hear about DDK joining the project. I've been a fan of him since Lost and he deserves better considering his departure from Hawaii Five-0.

Edit:

And as for Harbour the transformation is amazing! Here's a topless shot of him from Stranger Things S1:

c34ef00182cf1d897e9c41533c9edaa6.png
Something tells me I shouldn't be looking at pictures of him over Tumblr.

thenexus6

Incredible, I'm actually excited for a comic book movie.

I wonder did he actually get in that shape or is that some prosthetics / make up there. Dude is jacked.

Keasar

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Gonna still miss Pearlman as Hellboy though.
Or Del Toro. I just heard that Del Toro wasn't making this movie. What!?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'd say it's pretty shocking how different it looks under a different light.

I really hope nazis are shoehorned somewhere. I'm convinced Marshall can pull off the whole "mystic Reich" thing even better than Del Toro.

My body is absolutely ready for Harbour nailing this kind of Hellboy despite his more demonic looks

Please give me evil Nazi monkeys, either in this film of the sequel if it does bank.

Also, talking frogs.

dosh

I'd say it's pretty shocking how different it looks under a different light.

I really hope nazis are shoehorned somewhere. I'm convinced Marshall can pull off the whole "mystic Reich" thing even better than Del Toro.

My body is absolutely ready for Harbour nailing this kind of Hellboy despite his more demonic looks

Please give me evil Nazi monkeys, either in this film of the sequel if it does bank.

Also, talking frogs.
The books are also far more sinister than Del Toro's version. I really liked these movies, but they're missing a few important bits of what makes Hellboy, well, Hellboy. Like this:
The closeup when he says "Little tiny bones" is chilling, and I'd love to see that kind of stuff in Marshall's adaptation.

Also talking frogs.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Gonna still miss Pearlman as Hellboy though.
Or Del Toro. I just heard that Del Toro wasn't making this movie. What!?

Its Neil Marshall. He's a great fit and made some awesome horror and action films and episodes of TV shows. He made Dog Soldiers, Doomsday and directed a variety of TV show episodes namely the Battle of Blackwater in Game of Thrones. I have little worry he's gonna give us a great Hellboy flick.

Its Neil Marshall. He's a great fit and made some awesome horror and action films and episodes of TV shows. He made Dog Soldiers, Doomsday and directed a variety of TV show episodes namely the Battle of Blackwater in Game of Thrones. I have little worry he's gonna give us a great Hellboy flick.
You hype up Neil and don't mention The Descent? /s

He also did the Watchers on the Wall battle in GoT

Looking at his filmography, this will be his first movie since 2010. He's been doing TV episodes, GoT, Hannibal, Black Sails, Westworld, etc

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
neil marshall!!

he is a pretty great tonal fit here. i will miss hellboy and abe sapien's interactions from the del toro movies though--they felt like real friends who cared about each other. the scene in HB2 in which they get drunk together is the best scene in the movie.

Keasar

You hype up Neil and don't mention The Descenf? /s

He also did the Watchers on the Wall battle in GoT

Looking at his filmography, this will be his first movie since 2010. He's been doing TV episodes, GoT, Hannibal, Black Sails, Westworld, etc

I am unfamiliar with his work except for the mentioned Game of Thrones bits, guess I'll have to check them out (was gonna watch Westworld anyway).

I am unfamiliar with his work except for the mentioned Game of Thrones bits, guess I'll have to check them out (was gonna watch Westworld anyway).
Go watch The Descent immediately, one of the best horror films of the last decade

And then watch Dog Soldiers for the best modern werewolf movie

Top Bottom