• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at THE FLASH [Extended trailer in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

So let me get this straight: Arrow is the start of a DC TV Universe where this new Flash TV show is connected to Arrow and there may possibly be more DC shows connected to these two? I hope the movies aren't connected, if this is the case.

I might have to watch Arrow now. To be ready for this new Flash series.

Arrow really is worth a watch all on its own. The first season is on Netflix if you have that.

So let me get this straight: Arrow is the start of a DC TV Universe where this new Flash TV show is connected to Arrow and there may possibly be more DC shows connected to these two? I hope the movies aren't connected, if this is the case.

I might have to watch Arrow now. To be ready for this new Flash series.

Do it, show is amazing.

The 2 episodes with Barry were already great.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
My impression: What was that shit?

*Scrolls through thread*

I guess you're all drinking that CW koolaid. :D

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Super speed is such an OP superpower. I don't get how The Flash exists and doesn't just solve every problem easily.

I'll watch anyway because Arrow is great.

My impression: What was that shit?

*Scrolls through thread*

I guess you're all drinking that CW koolaid. :D

ib0LhUmFw4il4e.gif

Wiktor

I was hoping for real trailer, but this was cool too. The superspeed looks ridiculously good by TV standards and Barry seems like complete riot to watch, which should feel nice when contrasted with much darker Arrow.

rexor0717

Those FX look great for TV. I enjoyed his character on the 2 Arrow episodes he was on, so I'm really excited to see this show.

.GqueB.

Banned
I love how GAF turn into a bunch of fashionistas when superhero constumes are revealed.

"Leik omg look how much the fabric bunches up when he lifts his arms. He looks so fat. They couldn't find anything more form fitting or what?"

Has anything ever showed a super-speed character (besides Incredibles) and had it not look terrible? Nothing against the show or anything I just can't remember ever seeing a show or movie with a super fast character that looked any kind of realistic. (Yes I understand how that sounds but you know) Has anyone seen the new X-Men film? Does that Quicksilver look any good? Maybe Avengers will get it?

JimiNutz

Banned
looks like a fan-made project.

zero production values, the whole sequence was really unimaginative

Agreed.
Really glad that some people in this thread liked it but that did nothing for me other than make me cringe.

If The Flash is in future DC movies will they use this actor?

Wiktor

So let me get this straight: Arrow is the start of a DC TV Universe where this new Flash TV show is connected to Arrow and there may possibly be more DC shows connected to these two?

The DC shows on other networks won't be connected, but it looks like those on CW will. They're also working on Hourman tv show and might do YoungJustice too. Plus there's always chance they will go back to Deadman now that Kripke is free after Revolution was canceled.

For a CW budget the suit looks all right. Not a fan of the red logo yet. Good use of the silly lighting bolt ears to keep his silhouette; helps get past the problem Cap's helmet had from The Avengers.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Agreed.
Really glad that some people in this thread liked it but that did nothing for me other than make me cringe.

If The Flash is in future DC movies will they use this actor?

WB hasn't openly acknowledged that it's in the same universe. Apparently if people like this Flash show, they will. Otherwise, they'll brush it aside as just a TV thing that's non-canon and get a different guy for movies.

They really should just use the TV show. Grant Gustin was super likable in his Arrow episodes. We'll see how he does in the spotlight.

Nyanmaruz

WB hasn't openly acknowledged that it's in the same universe. Apparently if people like this Flash show, they will. Otherwise, they'll brush it aside as just a TV thing that's non-canon and get a different guy for movies.
They really should just use the TV show. Grant Gustin was super likable in his Arrow episodes. We'll see how he does in the spotlight.
Suppose the CW and the DCCU will never cross. The weird thing right now is that WB/DC is going to have their Justice League movie around 2017 or 2018. Does that mean they are planning to end the Flash tv series before the movie comes out to avoid confusing the general audience? I don't think WB/DC wants to have 2 different sets of Flash characters going on at the same time.

Prompto

Banned
Has anything ever showed a super-speed character (besides Incredibles) and had it not look terrible? Nothing against the show or anything I just can't remember ever seeing a show or movie with a super fast character that looked any kind of realistic. (Yes I understand how that sounds but you know) Has anyone seen the new X-Men film? Does that Quicksilver look any good? Maybe Avengers will get it?
Reviews are calling Quicksilver the highlight of the new X-Men movie so I'm assuming they nailed his speed. Also (Winter Soldier spoilers):
Quicksilver looked great in the post credit scene of Captain America too.

Wiktor

The problem with superspeeds is that the character needs to be actually pretty slow to make it look good. Once you start aproaching ridiculous speeds the person shouldn't really be visible from normal human's perspective

Derwind

Speed effect looks terrible.

Almost worse than the blur used in Smallville. How is such a thing even possible?

I actually thought it was alright.. :(

Is there an example of speed effects that looks great?

Live action speed effects more precisely.

Also youtube reference would be preferable.

Note; If "Man of steel" is an example, I'd like to respond with mentioning while I'm no expert, I think the budget for a movie and tv show are a little different in terms of visual effects.

Now I should have prefaced by saying I'm not trying to play devils advocate but actually quite interested in seeing good speed effects. Gives me a bit more perspective to start arguing. Lol.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Suppose the CW and the DCCU will never cross. The weird thing right now is that WB/DC is going to have their Justice League movie around 2017 or 2018. Does that mean they are planning to end the Flash tv series before the movie comes out to avoid confusing the general audience? I don't think WB/DC wants to have 2 different sets of Flash characters going on at the same time.

They've used the excuse of "Well we had Smallville and Superman Returns out at the same time and no one was confused!" It's a stupid excuse in the modern era when people are expecting cross-universe stuff like that now.

Speed effect looks terrible.

Almost worse than the blur used in Smallville. How is such a thing even possible?

Tumblr_li7499K6Rd1qcvfsco1_500.gif

Spinluck

I think X-Men and Avengers 2 will do it well.

And of course, Incredibles 2 when that's out like 6yrs from now lol.

Technically TASM2 had super speed if you count the Spidey sense slowdown stuff.

Bold One

God I hope Grant gets to be in Justice League.

Batman? Brooding.
Wonder Woman? Phd in being lame and unlike-able
Superman? Serious and self-doubting.
Green Lantern? ???
Cyborg? ???
Aquaman? ???
Flash? Fanboying the fuck out.

fixed for infinite accuracy

Wiktor

They've used the excuse of "Well we had Smallville and Superman Returns out at the same time and no one was confused!" It's a stupid excuse in the modern era when people are expecting cross-universe stuff like that now.

I think it's ridiculous to assume people are just that stupid that having two versions of one character at the same time will make their heads hurt.
People might expect connected universes, but they had to be taught this. They can just as well be taught to accept two different versions of the same characters existing at the same time. Both concepts are used in comics and nobody has any problems with it. Especially since it's superheroes tvshows/movies. Those things get recast all the time, so it's already over halfway there to acceptance.

I gotta be honest, your answer is not very helpful. I was asking a sincere question. Replying with "Ummmm" and then an out-of-context GIF and no other information doesn't really help me find an answer. What is that GIF from? It looks like a video game? Is it a movie? Is there somewhere that I can see more of that in higher quality to make a better judgement?

I actually thought it was alright.. :(

Is there an example of speed effects that looks great?

Live action speed effects more precisely.

Also youtube reference would be preferable.

Note; If "Man of steel" is an example, I'd like to respond with mentioning while I'm no expert, I think the budget for a movie and tv show are a little different in terms of visual effects.

Now I should have prefaced by saying I'm not trying to play devils advocate but actually quite interested in seeing good speed effects. Gives me a bit more perspective to start arguing. Lol.

I actually take it back. Seems to be a case of rose tinted glasses as the footage on YT doesn't look nearly as good as I remember of looking at the time.

The footage from his first appearance is better, but not by much. Smallville effects haven't held nearly as well as I remember them being at the time.

DSFan1970

I gotta be honest, your answer is not very helpful. I was asking a sincere question. Replying with "Ummmm" and then an out-of-context GIF and no other information doesn't really help me find an answer. What is that GIF from? It looks like a video game? Is it a movie? Is there somewhere that I can see more of that in higher quality to make a better judgement?

He likely made the assumption that since you were in a genre thread you would get the genre gif reference. Most of us did.

Trickster

It's from the newest Superman movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom