• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Modern Warfare 2 Footage on TV today

Popularity of console shooters is inversely proportional to player counts over 16. MAG will sell worse than Resistance 2, even if it is the better game.

I'm really not familiar with Zipper so that game can go either way, but I hope that it lives up to its potential because it is theoretically far more ambitious and unique that anything in the past or on the horizon. It's odd that there is less breadth in multiplayer video games of the shooter sort than there is in fucking paintball.

That said, and in spite of all my ripping on IW for sticking to outdated formats, I appreciate the security in knowing that MW2 will, at the very least, be a kick ass multiplayer experience. While I'd like to see fundamental changes to the single player, I'd probably buy a reskinned COD4 for its MP.

J-Rzez

Guled said:
The budget for MW2 is most likely much bigger then MAG, and they have much more experience with next gen systems (2 tiles vs. 0 so far). CoD4 is considered by most to be the pinnacle of online MP on consoles. And they are making a full game instead of just an online game. And IW is more talented then Zipper, so its easily to think that MW2 will be much better then MAG. Actually, other then being a fanboy, or never played CoD4, I can't see why someone would think MAG would be better

To think that IW is more talented than Zipper when they're both proven? And you're giving a multiplatform developer, making the title for everything including the Atari Jaguar probably, an advantage over ANOTHER proven and successful developer that has went 1st party, is receiving significant backing, and is in a network of other AAA developers sharing all they've learned to date on the ONE machine they all work on? Not to mention focusing on ONE segment of gameplay, for the past 3+ years? You don't think that they both have some advantages here? Actually, other than being a fanboy, never playing anything other than CoD4, I don't see how someone can't think that it's possible MAG may end up bringing MP to new levels on consoles "IF" they deliver on their promises. And the previews have been pretty good on that, considering the game is 6 months away.

I'm not saying CoD6, MW2, won't be a good game, as the last was fun. I'm saying that there's going to be other shooters out there that may change the way online mp games on consoles are looked at. That they "can be" done on console too, not just PC. And who knows, maybe bring something new to the table that redefines shooters.

COD6 is going to be huge and the best selling title this Xmas hands down

I don't believe anyone is going to argue that.

Keikoku

Banned
Sonyfans really needed to bring MAG here ? MAG is the kind of game that will be forgotten two weeks after its release except by sonyfans, MW2 will be played until COD7 get released. Plus it will be far, far ahead of MAG in terms of quality. It's pretty much obvious.

Best campaign ever will be Episode 3 though.

Keikoku said:
Sonyfans really needed to bring MAG here ? MAG is the kind of game that will be forgotten two weeks after its release except by sonyfans, MW2 will be played until COD7 get released. Plus it will be far, far ahead of MAG in terms of quality. It's pretty much obvious.

And I'm sure that comments of this sort are somehow going to shut down the current discussion. This method of acting annoyed by the discussion, only to add your own two cents to the blend makes you look like quite the disingenuous character.

Keikoku

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
And I'm sure that comments of this sort are somehow going to shut down the current discussion. This method of acting annoyed by the discussion, only to add your own two cents to the blend makes you look like quite the disingenuous character.

Well this kind of lame discussions won't stop until the footage is released anyway... :lol

Keikoku said:
Well this kind of lame discussions won't stop until the footage is released anyway... :lol

They won't stop anyway and they certainly won't stop when you bait the opposition or attack the other game. Why is MAG even being discussed in this thread especially when they will almost certainly play nothing like each other simply based on the player count alone? There is a whole other thread for that game.

Keikoku said:

One way of making certain that the discussion stays pooping along is to partake in it. Which you did. As usual, you are a key part of the problem.

Stoney Mason said:
They won't stop anyway and they certainly won't stop when you bait the opposition or attack the other game. Why is MAG even being discussed in this thread? There is a whole other thread for that game.

To some extent I think it's alright to talk about other games even in game specific threads, but it seems like it always takes the shape of attack vs defense. I'm very happy that Zipper is shooting for the Big Game thing, but that's squarely because I think it will complement the MP experience that I assume that MW2 will offer. I'll have to read some earlier responses to understand where the discussion started, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't via an attempt to make MW2 seem less interesting.

AltogetherAndrews said:
To some extent I think it's alright to talk about other games even in game specific threads, but it seems like it always takes the shape of attack vs defense. I'm very happy that Zipper is shooting for the Big Game thing, but that's squarely because I think it will complement the MP experience that I assume that MW2 will offer. I'll have to read some earlier responses to understand where the discussion started, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't via an attempt to make MW2 seem less interesting.

I knew as soon as I clicked on the thread it would be fanboys wars. Which is especially silly for games that aren't even out. There is nothing to compare outside of vague speculation on each title.

MAG is a title with a lot of promise but it certainly has nothing to do with "First Modern Warfare Footage on TV today". Same applies to Halo 3 or whatever game of choice somebody wants to fight over. We already have enough battle threads without every thread about a specific game getting into this battle wars. Especially when nobody knows anything concrete wise on either title.

Stoney Mason said:
I knew as soon as I clicked on the thread it would be fanboys wars. Which is especially silly for games that aren't even out. There is nothing to compare outside of vague speculation on each title.

MAG is a title with a lot of promise but it certainly has nothing to do with "First Modern Warfare Footage on TV today". Same applies to Halo 3 or whatever game of choice somebody wants to fight over. We already have enough battle threads without every thread about a specific game getting into this battle wars. Especially when nobody knows anything concrete wise on either title.

Just be thankful that there isn't a bunch of animated gifs to go with the off topic posts.

I hope that I'm not stirring the shit too much, but isn't saying that CoD4 runs at 60FPS on consoles kinda like saying that my comcast downloads at 16Mb, or that PS3 games render at 1080p native? Sometimes sure, but often not.

Top Bottom