• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First official clip from Netlfix's Death Note - Light Meets Ryuk

sephi22

Looks real good. Also
decapitation
as his first kill, especially on some bully who's just pushing a girl around, and Light seems to know personally from school.

Damn this Light acts like a coward but he's savage as fuck

Prompto

Banned
I'm still not expecting much from the movie but the clip was pretty good and Dafoe was great. I'll watch it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Light looks like a douche so maybe they are making some good creative choices. Doesn't sound like he was acting in the same room as Dafoe though

RedBoot

Ryuk pushing Light into it more than in the show is an interesting take

Yeah, manga Ryuk doesn't give two shits what Light does, while manga Light was very interested in trying it out (granted, this Light is too, otherwise he would resist more). Also worth noting that manga Light is only briefly startled by Ryuk, but quickly moves past it, while this Light is pretty freaked out.

Nothing wrong with any of that, of course, I'm open to what they want to do with the story and this clip sells it very well.

Gotta admit even though Death Note is one of the single worst anime properties of all time, Dafoe took that shitbrick material and elevated it into an oscar worthy performance.

I'm impressed, then again it is Dafoe. I love Dafoe.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I don't remember Ryukk encouraging Light to do anything, he just wanted to watch what Light was doing. It seems like they're trying to make Ryukk into an evil figure, can't say I'm a fan.

Yeah, manga Ryuk doesn't give two shits what Light does, while manga Light was very interested in trying it out (granted, this Light is too, otherwise he would resist more). Also worth noting that manga Light is only briefly startled by Ryuk, but quickly moves past it, while this Light is pretty freaked out.

Nothing wrong with any of that, of course, I'm open to what they want to do with the story and this clip sells it very well.

Ya I like the idea tbh. Light was way too cool with this crazy lookin' demon popping up in front of him in the show. I'm also down with Ryuk taking more of an active role from the get-go

Sou Da

I can't believe they didn't even use a prothestic for Dafoe or anything.

That first kill seems unusually cruel.

Kinsei

Banned
Dafoe is great as Ryuk. Wolff as Light on the other hand.

Why the hell is Ryuk the one that pushes Light into using the note? They are really fucking up Light's character.

I need to start divorcing this from my love of the anime, because it's clear they're going to be taking this in a different direction. Hopefully it turns out well, but we'll see.

BruceCLea

Banned
Dafoe is the best. And Adam Wingard is a great director. He reminds me of Sam Raimi. Check out You're Next and The Guest if you don't believe me. Such a talent and I hear he's an incredibly nice guy.

Kusagari

I definitely get the impression here that Light's going to start off thinking he's doing great things for the "little guy" everywhere and devolve into a megalomaniacal jackass.

Anth0ny

Dafoe is god. real life shinigami.

But I legit think they could have just had Ryuk look like this:

PeskyDependentCoral-size_restricted.gif

and it would have been just as effective and even a little less goofy lol

Dafoe is great as Ryuk. Wolff as Light on the other hand.

Why the hell is Ryuk the one that pushes Light into using the note? They are really fucking up Light's character.

Light Turner ≠ Light Yagami

The sooner you accept that, the sooner you can enjoy a different take on the anime/manga.

Dafoe is the best. And Adam Wingard is a great director. He reminds me of Sam Raimi. Check out You're Next and The Guest if you don't believe me. Such a talent and I hear he's an incredibly nice guy.

Really? I've seen both of those movies and I think he's a hack tbh. This doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought, and when it ended I did want to see what happened next, so maybe this time he'll grab.

I don't remember Ryukk encouraging Light to do anything, he just wanted to watch what Light was doing. It seems like they're trying to make Ryukk into an evil figure, can't say I'm a fan.

Different circumstances. In this one it seems this is lights first name written down. In the manga light already had written pages of names by the time he met Ryuk.

Boke1879

Well it's not totally adapted from the Anime.

I mean I'm not expecting much from this. But people need to accept that this is going to be different.

RedBoot

It seems like they're trying to make Ryukk into an evil figure, can't say I'm a fan.

He could also just be sort of a "devil on the shoulder" sort of character, which would be fine. If we aren't showing off the whole society of shinigami in this movie (I doubt they are) then there's not as much point in selling Ryuk as being different from other shinigami. Being tempted by a "devil" probably works better.

Again, this is not going to be a direct adaptation of the manga. We already got that in anime form, and we also got fairly faithful movie adaptations in Japan. This will be a US Death Note, for better or worse.

kirblar

Really not liking the change of light from the epitome of a privilege to a bullied kid.

Completely changes how you treat him and is in line w/ false narratives re: school shootings back in the '90s/'00s.

Light Turner ≠ Light Yagami

The sooner you accept that, the sooner you can enjoy a different take on the anime/manga.

Then why even use Light as a first name seriously you can't go halfway with something and expect people not to complain. Doesn't help that I dislike most of Wolff's acting in the things I've seen him in.

Kusagari

I have no problem with him giving Light this initial push.

I hope he doesn't keep advising him, so to speak, the entire movie though.

Anth0ny

Man, Light's first kill in the manga was some crazy fucker who took kids and teachers hostage.

Two dudes bullying someone on his driveway hardly seems death note worthy. jeeeeez lol

kurahador

Yeah. Light was the one who figure out how the note works and everything. This is going to be disappointing.

Top Bottom