• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First official clip from Netlfix's Death Note - Light Meets Ryuk

Decapitation seems like the perfect way to get into it. At that point he seems like he is in disbelief and the reality of the situation hasn't hit him, he isn't sure if he is dreaming. The truth will hit him hard from the start and he'll have already crossed the line with no way back.

Yup. Lights first kill in the manga, he was flipping through channels thinking who should die, and just wrote down the criminals name in disbelief. He wasnt even to sure of the notebook to begin with, originally laughing it off.

Jocund

Light's character is so different in this.

Smug handsome genius who's at the head of the class vs a loser punk who's picked on.

Manga Light's second kill is when he writes down the name of the biker as dying in a car crash when the biker is harassing a girl, and then actually feels sick at first because he thought it was too far compared to the hardened murderer he killed first while assuming the Death Note was a prank. Netflix Light decides that a bully should die by decapitation.
In this scene, Light thinks he's dreaming. He might not be aware of the gravity of his situation until after dude gets his head severed.

Also, do y'all want Light to be an asshole or not

Trey

isn't murdering someone via decapitation for shoving someone around and stealing a school book already taking it too far?

I feel like they've already fucked up one of the main dynamics of the original story, which was "Is Light wrong?" His whole mission was to rid the world of evil, and at first he was only writing down the names of truly vile, evil mother fuckers.

the original anime (I can't speak toward the manga) very early on answered the question of "is Light wrong?" Yes, he's wrong as hell, and is clearly a megalomaniac. the drama is seeing how he'd go about his unilateral murdering while LMN were hunting him down.

the anime never honestly struggles with the moral perspective that maybe this asshole with a god complex is actually a good thing, because L is immediately positioned as having the moral authority.

so it's not like the movie changing Light's personality is a betrayal of a "the greater good" angle.

Magwik

Banned
Ryuk pushing Light into it more than in the show is an interesting take
It's a take I wanted from the original. At least the idea of it getting into the hands of a nobody, or your average kid. I mean I love most of the original, but it's a nice take so far.

chrono01

LMAO at him choosing decapitation as his first kill, making the girl witness it as well. Dude sure goes from 0 to 100 pretty fast.
Yeah, this made me laugh. I was expecting something like "heart attack", but nope! Decapitation! It was especially strange since he seemed so apprehensive about it prior and then quickly went full-on psychopath.

As mentioned though, I'm definitely going to give this a watch for Dafoe's Ryuk, seems like a really cool adaptation of him.

RedBoot

Then of course he starts to lose his mind and goes too far. But anime/manga Light would never kill someone for something so petty.

Well, to be fair, manga Light kills "Lind L. Taylor" for basically taunting him.

I always saw manga Light as simply having a messiah complex and seeing himself above everything, but he was always just a step away from basically just being a petty killer. Just look at how desperate he gets during the events with Naomi Misora.

Granted, none of that necessarily applies to this Light.

Also you guys keep forgetting that whilst Ryuk never pushed Light to kill anyone, Ryuk did do Light favors and would keep pushing him to get Eyes, to the point where during his encounter with Naomi, Ryuk just laughed and laughed giving light the hint that she didnt give him her real name.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Gonna go out on a limb and guess that the reason Light chooses something as gruesome as decapitation here, is that he doesn't actually believe anything will happen.

Khezu

SPIDERMAN

Also, I like the change to light, and I hope they do nothing but continue to shit on him and make him look like the most pathetic little weasel ass punk he is.

Magwik

Banned
Also you guys keep forgetting that whilst Ryuk never pushed Light to kill anyone, Ryuk did do Light favors and would keep pushing him to get Eyes, to the point where during his encounter with Naomi, Ryuk just laughed and laughed giving light the hint that she didnt give him her real name.
Taking half of Lights life benefits him though. Dude was a scholar and in super good shape, he was probably on track to live well past 80. Ryuk only cared about himself and being entertained.

Crossing Eden

SPIDERMAN

Also, I like the change to light, and I hope they do nothing but continue to shit on him and make him look like the most pathetic little weasel ass punk he is.
Here here
Yzma-Kronk-high-five-Emperors-New-Groove.gif

Nothing wrong with Ryuk being charismatic, but it sucks that Light has to lose his charisma and smugness in this adaptation.

I want to see how they handle both characters when the movie releases.
Light wasn't charismatic.

ERotIC

Banned
I don't remember Ryukk encouraging Light to do anything, he just wanted to watch what Light was doing. It seems like they're trying to make Ryukk into an evil figure, can't say I'm a fan.

Yeah, turning Ryuk into the instigator is a... strange choice.

_Ryo_

Ryuk being the initial push into making Light a murder makes this version of the story objectively worse. It ruins Light's character and motivations. Terrible. :/

MechaX

Light's character is so different in this.

Smug handsome genius who's at the head of the class vs a loser punk who's picked on.

Manga Light's second kill is when he writes down the name of the biker as dying in a car crash when the biker is harassing a girl, and then actually feels sick at first because he thought it was too far compared to the hardened murderer he killed first while assuming the Death Note was a prank. Netflix Light decides that a bully should die by decapitation.

Now that I think about it, Light is literally the bullied real life high school student that carries around a fake Death Note with pretty fucked up deaths, but somehow hasn't gotten suspended yet.

I forgot the dude who did The Guest and You're Next was making this. I suddently have hope again. With experience of his earlier stuff, i'm really hoping for the director to just flip the entire thing on itself and do some crazy ass twists. Im kinda hoping for him to instead of making him the handsome school-elite genious sociopath, make him the type of edgy shitlord loser that would think Light was the coolest dude ever.

Like a straight up middle finger towards the chuuni part of the fanbase, would be so good.

HeatBoost

Some dubious shit going on with the changes to the moral alignments given Ryuk's "Come on, do it Spider-man!" antics but it seems like it might be entertaining. I hope they don't make him an "evil" presence. His moral ambivalence is part of what makes him a fun character.

That being said, is he always going to be shit out of focus or mostly in shadow? Part of my enjoyment of Death Note was seeing a horrifying gothnerd creature do mundane shit. The juxtaposition was high-llarious

I wasn't even necessarily saying it was worse, I was just saying that Light's character is a major part of the story's tone and themes, and making him outwardly what he always was deep down changes the tone dramatically.

It's changing Light into the kind of kid who read Death Note and legitimately admired Light, which is an interesting idea, but I wonder how well that actually works in practice.

edit: also as others have pointed out, Ryuk is completely amoral in the source material but even he gets surprised by how ruthless Light can be and his only stakes in Light's success are entertainment and apples, so having him actively try to push Light into it changes a lot

Ryzaki009

I don't remember Ryukk encouraging Light to do anything, he just wanted to watch what Light was doing. It seems like they're trying to make Ryukk into an evil figure, can't say I'm a fan.

"trying"? Ryuk dropped the death note for a laugh. He was always an evil bastard. He was just more hands off before.

Skab

Some dubious shit going on with the changes to the moral alignments given Ryuk's "Come on, do it Spider-man!" antics but it seems like it might be entertaining

That being said, is he always going to be shit out of focus or mostly in shadow? Part of my enjoyment of Death Note was seeing a horrifying gothnerd creature do mundane shit. The juxtaposition was high-llarious

Yeah this is really bothering me.

Dafoe is great, but this scene already has the characters doing things they wouldn't actually do, if staying to to the source.

Kinda turns me away tbh

Ryzaki009

Here here

Light wasn't charismatic.

He was one of the main points of his character was how someone so pleasant and charming was a psycho all along. It gave a really interesting contrast to L who in comparison was repulsive and rude but for all his faults was less of a shit than Light was (barely mind but still).

brawly

It would look way better without those weird orange LED thingies in his eyes. And I'm not happy at all with how he's presented here. Making Light kill people.

Yeah, this made me laugh. I was expecting something like "heart attack", but nope! Decapitation! It was especially strange since he seemed so apprehensive about it prior and then quickly went full-on psychopath.

As mentioned though, I'm definitely going to give this a watch for Dafoe's Ryuk, seems like a really cool adaptation of him.

i mean. would you believe it would be true? he's already seeing a demon in front so he may as well play along. could be an elaborate dream of his.

Crossing Eden

Now that I think about it, Light is literally the bullied real life high school student that carries around a fake Death Note with pretty fucked up deaths, but somehow hasn't gotten suspended yet.
This is the direction they should go for. Like 100%.

Uhh, yes he was. That's one of the defining tropes he has in the manga.
He was one of the main points of his character was how someone so pleasant and charming was a psycho all along. It gave a really interesting contrast to L who in comparison was repulsive and rude but for all his faults was less of a shit than Light was (barely mind but still).
There was nothing pleasant or charming about him. The guy he pretended to be was as boring and bland as humanly possible. Like what was something that he did that was genuinely charismatic? Because it certainly wasn't the way he ate potato chips. Or having good grades.

Oddish1

I wasn't even necessarily saying it was worse, I was just saying that Light's character is a major part of the story's tone and themes, and making him outwardly what he always was deep down changes the tone dramatically.

It's changing Light into the kind of kid who read Death Note and legitimately admired Light, which is an interesting idea, but I wonder how well that actually works in practice.

edit: also as others have pointed out, Ryuk is completely amoral in the source material but even he gets surprised by how ruthless Light can be and his only stakes in Light's success are entertainment and apples, so having him actively try to push Light into it changes a lot

It kind of does feed into a western idea of sin as a temptation from an outside source. Whether that's a bad thing or not depends on how it's handled.

Khezu

I forgot the dude who did The Guest and You're Next was making this. I suddently have hope again. With experience of his earlier stuff, i'm really hoping for the director to just flip the entire thing on itself and do some crazy ass twists. Im kinda hoping for him to instead of making him the handsome school-elite genious sociopath, make him the type of edgy shitlord loser that would think Light was the coolest dude ever.

Like a straight up middle finger towards the chuuni part of the fanbase, would be so good.

It's what I'm rooting for.

Just make Light the biggest edgelord loser possible.

Boke1879

This is the direction they should go for. Like 100%.

There was nothing pleasant or charming about him. The guy he pretended to be was as boring and bland as humanly possible. Like what was something that he did that was genuinely charismatic? Because it certainly wasn't the way he ate potato chips. Or having good grades.

I don't know about charismatic, but Light definitely knew how to play and trick people. He was a trustworthy person. Hell didn't he head the police department?

Arkeband

Banned
"I don't remember this scene!" people continue to say even though they've been told this is a different story.

(dafoe is great - Light's acting started out super hammy in this scene but got slightly better)

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
"trying"? Ryuk dropped the death note for a laugh. He was always an evil bastard. He was just more hands off before.
I wouldn't really call him evil, he was a death god that got bored and decided to spice things up by dropping his notebook into the human world. He just wanted to see what would happen if someone picked it up and used it. He's a god, it doesn't matter to him if bad things happen to humans.

RedBoot

I like to refer to that as "serious humor," since the authors use that term in Bakuman and even use an example from Death Note to illustrate it. But yeah, it's pretty amusing, but also probably not going to show up here since they're probably going more thriller with this. The apples will probably be the extent of it.

Top Bottom