• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First official clip from Netlfix's Death Note - Light Meets Ryuk

Blablurn

im actually happy they are changing things up

i watched the original story already plenty of times and i dont mind a new take on it.

apparently the japanese tv-drama which i havent watched much of is also kinda different?

i just remember from the first two episodes that light yagami was no evil motherfucker.

Does anyone not see what makes this scene so dumb and out of character for Light?

... it's that it's outside his damn house! Why would he ever do that? The L from the anime would be able to pinpoint this death to pretty much confirm Kira is Light. Once L starts suspecting him this death is all that he would need.

Wildo09

Does anyone not see what makes this scene so dumb and out of character for Light?

... it's that it's outside his damn house! Why would he ever do that? The L from the anime would be able to pinpoint this death to pretty much confirm Kira is Light. Once L starts suspecting him this death is all that he would need.

Hm, I agree with this. Kira would be super easy to figure out by the L in the manga.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't know about charismatic, but Light definitely knew how to play and trick people. He was a trustworthy person. Hell didn't he head the police department?
I mean his father was a police officer and manga goes out of his way to show that without the death note he likely would have ended up an alright person. Sociopathic sure but the same sorts of sociopaths you see in high levels of many fields. He was certainly a popular individual so to an outside observer who has no idea what he'a really like you could describe as such.

Gotta admit even though Death Note is one of the single worst anime properties of all time, Dafoe took that shitbrick material and elevated it into an oscar worthy performance.

I'm impressed, then again it is Dafoe. I love Dafoe.
Very edgy.

Still unsure what to think of this show. Would be interesting if TV Light I guess eventually develops into
the cocky shithead that Light is from episode 1.

Sai-kun

Banned
Looks real good. Also
decapitation
as his first kill, especially on some bully who's just pushing a girl around, and Light seems to know personally from school.

Damn this Light acts like a coward but he's savage as fuck

lmaoooo this is why im okay with this story being american though

japanese kira was like 'okay yeah i'll kill a someone who kidnaps kids' and american kira is like 'this asshole called me a nerd? he's fucking DEAD'

lmaoooo this is why im okay with this story being american though

japanese kira was like 'okay yeah i'll kill a someone who kidnaps kids' and american kira is like 'this asshole called me a nerd? he's fucking DEAD'

Yeah, this actually makes a lot of sense to me. I'm sure he will quickly escalate to wanting to "fix society".

SentryDown

I'm sooooo glad they changed this encounter from the super artificial version in the manga.

Mild spoilers in case you haven't read the manga :
Sure Light had already used the DN at that point and knew it was real but when Ryuk come he's surprised, fall of his chair and a second later goes super confident like "I'm not surprised, I was waiting for you". My reaction: ?! (and nothing in the next pages indicate that Light had any idea Shinigami existed at that point)

Arkeband

Banned
I'm sooooo glad they changed this encounter from the super artificial version in the manga.

Sure Light had already used the DN at that point and knew it was real but when Ryuk come he's surprised, fall of his chair and a second later goes super confident like "I'm not surprised, I was waiting for you". My reaction: ?! (and nothing in the next pages indicate that Light had any idea Shinigami existed at that point)

It made sense to me because he had to have deduced the book originally belonged to something or someone. Whether he deduced that was Shinigami is not clear, true.

How is it artificial? You're using a notebook with the power to kill people. It's clearly something supernatural and at some point the thing which left it there would come in contact with you. It fits just fine with logic and Light's character

Guess Who

Banned
JP Light: if I kill someone too close to me it’ll be suspicious as hell

US Light: what if I killed local bullies right outside my bedroom fuckin window

Man... this is the first time what I've seen from this adaptation bums me out. Here, Light is being pushed by Ryuk to use the Death Note. He's being corrupted.

That's not Light.

Light is an egomaniac. The Death Note is only the catalyst that brings out that side of him to the surface. Light has agency. Ryuk is neutral and is only there for the entertainment.

Oh well. It doesn't mean the movie will be bad, but it's disappointing.

SentryDown

It made sense to me because he had to have deduced the book originally belonged to something or someone. Whether he deduced that was Shinigami is not clear, true.

How is it artificial? You're using a notebook with the power to kill people. It's clearly something supernatural and at some point the thing which left it there would come in contact with you. It fits just fine with logic and Light's character

The logic is "ok", it might have come from someone who'd want to get it back at some point, but it's a huge horrific creature there, the first reaction is legit, the way it turns around in a second on the next page isn't (even Light does need time to endure this kind of heavy emotion as shown in the rest of the series).

I won't judge this until I see it. I disliked the anime, because it relied entirely on two characters being "super smart" (read: precognitive). The idea is interesting though.

This might be fun. Defoe is probably going to be amazing here, rocking that green goblin creepiness once again.

Arkeband

Banned
Man... this is the first time what I've seen from this adaptation bums me out. Here, Light is being pushed by Ryuk to use the Death Note. He's being corrupted.

That's not Light.

Light is an egomaniac. The Death Note is only the catalyst that brings out that side of him to the surface. Light has agency. Ryuk is neutral and is only there for the entertainment.

Light Yagami is an egomaniac. Light Turner isn't Light Yagami.

I'm telling you now it's better you accept that this is a different take on the anime/manga rather than a literal/faithful adaptation now, than later comparing and contrasting the film to the anime/manga then complaining about the differences/changes were made because it's an awful way to watch the film and you miss out on judging the film on it's own merits.

JP Light: if I kill someone too close to me it'll be suspicious as hell

US Light: what if I killed local bullies right outside my bedroom fuckin window

guys he's at school

unless his room is the size of a classroom and he has a bunch of tables there

ya'll are just making up things to hate now

That's not Light.

He put down decapitation. He's still unhinged, this version just speeds up the process for the same of runtime. Just because he's told how it works, it's still his choice

Well that then begs the question of why you're even adapting this story while completely changing it's main character.

Because the interesting premise (guy finds book with the power to kill anyone whose name your write down) isn't predicated on the original's characters at all. You could tell countless stories with this premise, and completely remove any of the original characters rather than adapting them differently, and it could still be compelling.

Yeah.

That being said killing someone right outside your school is still fucking stupid.

He's doing it for the first time and has no idea if it's going to work. Plus it looks like he thinks he's dreaming since he's still in disbelief there's a giant demon talking to him.

Yeah.

That being said killing someone right outside your school is still fucking stupid.

I mean

the 2nd time light yagami killed someone it was 5 feet in front of him while he was at a store

and by decapitation, it means that chances are L wouldn't connect it if the modus operandi becomes heart attacks

Kinsei

Banned
I mean

the 2nd time light yagami killed someone it was 5 feet in front of him while he was at a store

and by decapitation, it means that chances are L wouldn't connect it if the modus operandi becomes heart attacks

True but some dude chasing after a woman across the street and getting hit by a truck is a much more believable accident than a kid getting decapitated by a ladder outside the school.

It doesn't seem like heart attacks are going to be his M,O in this version going by the trailer.

TalonJH

I'm not sure about "this" Light in that scene but the overall feel seems awesome. I'm in. I kind of expected disaster but hoped for the best.

ibyea

Banned
William Dafoe is perfect for the role. Too bad the movie fundamentally misunderstand Light's character, which is that Light is a bored asshole with a god complex.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
IGN review backs up what the clip and trailer already hinted at. I was open to taking a different approach to the character, but it's a shame that Light looks to be horribly miscast.

Nose Master

Pretty sure that's just to establish light doesn't like to look weak or that he can be caught off guard. He didn't know or expect shit.

Top Bottom