• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First pics of Banjo-Threeie

Status
Not open for further replies.
sp0rsk said:
I'm really confused by the LBP comparisons when there is big blue chomp chomp sitting in the first screenshot.

Actually the fact that there's a bear in a makeshift airplane in the first screen gave me a Tailspin vibe. Is it Banjo or Baloo?

pswii60

gofreak said:
I know, I'm just saying that I think if you give any game a cartoon-y look, and add camera effects and DOF, people would say the same thing..even if those are just some elements in the visual design.

The LBP aesthetic is directly borne out of the mechanics of the game, building stuff, and while there's some 'craftwork' elements in these shots, I don't think that's the overall intention of the design, it seems more general than that. I don't think people should be hopping all over it for that.
Yeah. I think it looks great, just can't wait to see it in motion and find out what this new 'never seen before' gameplay mechanic is.

Kameo still looks so outrageously amazing though, even now. And I'm reckoning that this is running on the next version of that engine.

Jasper

You know, maybe Rare have chosen not to make Banjo-Threeie into a platformer, because the Xbox/360 audience clearly don't like platformers (going by sales for other platformer titles on the Xbox & 360 systems).

After all these years since the MS buyout, Rare really need to start making money since basically every game of there's for the last few years has been a sales flop (except DK Racing DS), and maybe they have come to the conclusion that developing a bright, colourful platformer, fighting oversized carrots with faces, is not going to sell on a system that is most popular for the halo's & pgr's & bioshock's & GoW's...

pswii60

gofreak said:
I know, I'm just saying that I think if you give any game a cartoon-y look, and add camera effects and DOF, people would say the same thing..even if those are just some elements in the visual design.

The LBP aesthetic is directly borne out of the mechanics of the game, building stuff, and while there's some 'craftwork' elements in these shots, I don't think that's the overall intention of the design, it seems more general than that. I don't think people should be hopping all over it for that.
Yeah. I think it looks great, just can't wait to see it in motion and find out what this new 'never seen before' gameplay mechanic is.

Kameo still looks so outrageously amazing though, even now. And I'm reckoning that this is running on the next version of that engine.

Nolan.

sp0rsk said:
I'm really confused by the LBP comparisons when there is big blue chomp chomp sitting in the first screenshot.

I guess people are going for the ''look at the tree it's not just any tree''.

Dever

Banned
Looks good. There's something bothering me about it, but I'm not sure what. I do love the insane environments though, those massive gears look like they would be fun to climb!

Edit: I don't see how it is copying LBP, other than being colourful. Yeah, it has similar elements but it's not like that's copying.

batbeg

sp0rsk said:

I thought they were called chomp-omps? Or am I thinking of bomb-ombs?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That's seriously the first tripple post I've seen on GAF.

jett

D-Member
Looks all right. Those two screenshots aren't really showing me much of anything, but there seems to be some screwed-up LOD in Banjo in the first pic. :p

Crushed

Fry Daddy
BY THE GODS IT IS GLORIOUS

Yoboman said:
The whole fabrics and stickers, other crafts
1znv3ag.png

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
batbeg said:
I thought they were called chomp-omps? Or am I thinking of bomb-ombs?

I did a google check, there were chomp chomps and chain chomps, but I'm not really sure.

Anyway, as far as the screens are concerned, I assume the game is really early cause there doesn't seem to be anything in them?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Francias Castiglione said:
How about those of us who are interested do some speculating while those who aren't drown themselves?

Rare like to make us collect things right? I can see a Scrapheap Challenge style, with objectives being reachable only by specific means. Therefore you, as Banjo on foot, must travel through a hub world collecting parts and taking them to each map to assemble into a vehicle or contraption that will help you achieve your aims.

All I know is that the first thought I had when I saw the screenshots was that it reminded me of Diddy Kong Racing... I'm not saying it's one in any sense of the word (I'm not crazy), but I was reminded of that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
EverSoTrendy said:
The texture work is better than any game showed so far period.
... what?

TheOddOne

Jasper said:
You know, maybe Rare have chosen not to make Banjo-Threeie into a platformer, because the Xbox/360 audience clearly don't like platformers (going by sales for other platformer titles on the Xbox & 360 systems).

After all these years since the MS buyout, Rare really need to start making money since basically every game of there's for the last few years has been a sales flop (except DK Racing DS), and maybe they have come to the conclusion that developing a bright, colourful platformer, fighting oversized carrots with faces, is not going to sell on a system that is most popular for the halo's & pgr's & bioshock's & GoW's...

Atleast there not giving the platform genre the big fuck you and people will stop bitching that there are no playformers on the X360. Since when is trying = direct failure?

batbeg

pswii60 said:
You know, when you look at them together, they don't actually look that much like each other.

Honestly I didn't think they looked that much like one another until you pulled that out :lol

beelzebozo said:
looks pretty good, but why would i pay for this when i could just recreate it in little big planet

:lol

SPEA

Looks so awesome. And all the people claiming the copied LBP, do you realize how long Rare has been working on this game?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Amir0x said:
Anyway judging by the red lifesaver things, the vehicle transforms?
Maybe that's the new gameplay mechanic: you design the vehicle yourself! Propellers, wheels, seats, weapons, engines, etc., you find them or buy them (at Mumbo's Nuts [and Bolts]) and use them to create a customized vehicle that lets you access new areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom