• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First placeholder price for Nintendo Switch - $329CAD (~$245 USD)

Doctre81

250 is way too much. I hope that's not what they are thinking of releasing it at.

kvKXd.gif

So 300 usd if I want a proper controller. And weaker than a xbone. Lame.
That's the problem with a hybrid device. If you just want a home console it is overpriced and underperforming. There is no way around that because it has to include the price of a screen and battery that you might never need, is stuck with a very small form factor, and requires an additional purchase of a standard controller. Nintendo should have at least offered up a lower priced console version that included a standard controller and omitted all the things you wouldn't need.

$250 is the sweet spot for this thing. Still cheaper than the PS4 and Xbone's basic versions, with far more functionality. If this thing has a great launch lineup I'm in.

statham

$250 would be the perfect price IMO. Its a casual friendly price, exp if they include Mario party type game, that focuses on multiplayer.

So 300 usd if I want a proper controller. And weaker than a xbone. Lame.
its a portable with its own screen, If its $250, thats quite amazing, , its powerful enough for any Xbox/PS4 ports, at 720p wwith maybe some slight downgrades.

That's the problem with a hybrid device. If you just want a home console it is overpriced and underperforming. There is no way around that because it has to include the price of a screen and battery that you might never need, is stuck with a very small form factor, and requires an additional purchase of a standard controller. Nintendo should have at least offered up a lower priced console version that included a standard controller and omitted all the things you wouldn't need.
Eh. I don't see the appeal of that. Just being underpowered in comparison to the PS4 and Xbone would be reason enough for people to skip, no matter the price. Having the portability is what MAKES the Switch, a feature that is much more useful and beneficial compared to the Wii U gamepad and the 3DS' 3D.

That really depends o what you get with it. Most consoles come with proper controllers nowadays. If this doesn't then nintendo dun goofed.
I think it's fair to assume it'll come with the Joycon Grip. It's what makes it feel like a home console when docked, and if Nintendo tried to ship without it, their marketing wouldn't make sense.

firelogic

The majority of posts are talking about how great the price is at $250 but there's no discussion regarding power. What kind of specs should we expect at a $250 price point? That's $250 with Nintendo making a tidy profit so it's not even a $250 piece of hardware. It's just odd reading how so many people are willing to buy it at $250 without knowing anything about it and thinking it's a great price. How do you know it's a great price?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The majority of posts are talking about how great the price is at $250 but there's no discussion regarding power. What kind of specs should we expect at a $250 price point? That's $250 with Nintendo making a tidy profit so it's not even a $250 piece of hardware. It's just odd reading how so many people are willing to buy it at $250 without knowing anything about it and thinking it's a great price. How do you know it's a great price?

I mean, I don't give much of a fuck about specs. $250 is the right price for "the next Nintendo machine" for me

Solobbos

CDon had the placeholder price up three weeks ago.

s4G5bUe.png

I'll totally bite at that price. Possible native 4K Nintendo IPs coming with a bang?

Doctre81

Umm How do you know?

mlclmtckr

Banned
But here in Canada games and consoles cost more than just the CAD equivalent of the American price. So maybe it's $200 for you guys?

Eh. I don't see the appeal of that. Just being underpowered in comparison to the PS4 and Xbone would be reason enough for people to skip, no matter the price. Having the portability is what MAKES the Switch, a feature that is much more useful and beneficial compared to the Wii U gamepad and the 3DS' 3D.
The only real mass market selling point of the Switch is the access to Nintendo games. People have mobile phones which are far better suited for being out and about. Besides the 'switch' feature is mostly just marketing. The Switch is really a mobile device. All the dock does is charge the unit and output to the TV.

As a home console the Switch is overpriced for what it does. A $199 or less version would be the perfect price for a home only version for people who are perfectly happy with the entertainment capabilities of their phone and have no desire to lug around another larger device.

I'm okay with that, but I worry it might not be very powerful at that pricepoint. Not expecting it to be a powerhouse, but I'm willing to pay a little more for premium.

Whompa02

Still too high for me. I see zero software that i'm interested in besides Zelda which I'll get for WiiU.

They need to show me something worth dropping money down for this thing...right now there's not too much.

Bgamer90

Banned

Because I don't care about specs to that level when it comes to a Nintendo console. I just simply care about if it will play Nintendo games better than the previous Nintendo console (it will) and if it will get solid/regular game support (which it seemingly will considering it blends home and portable gaming).

People that play AAA multiplats aren't moving to Nintendo regardless of specs. Nintendo as a brand hasn't been known for this type of gaming for almost two decades. I don't understand why people think that powerful specs would completely change that for Nintendo. Higher specs = higher price = (more than likely) too expensive for me to buy as a device that will only be used to play Nintendo titles.

I am wondering if most of the people saying $250 is the sweet spot bought a Wii U. Nintendo needs to move beyond its core fanbase. Remember, there were a lot of people on GAF defending the Gamepad for the Wii U, and we see how the value of that turned out in the view of the general public.

$249? That's way too fucking high to make me carry this thing around in my man-purse.
$69 or bust.
I already have two tablets and three phones not to mention all the Vitas and 3DSs that I own. Oh, and of course my laptop.
Can't even watch Blu-ray on that thing. Stupid ass Nintendo.
Why would I even play this outside with its 30 minutes of battery life? Also I would look stupid, what if anybody saw me playing that huge ass thing in the park? Oh, the embarrassment.
Hope Nintendo goes 3rd party soon so I can play their games on Xbox. I really like their games.

/s

$249? That's way too fucking high to make me carry this thing around in my man-purse.
$69 or bust.
I already have two tablets and three phones not to mention all the Vitas and 3DSs that I own. Oh, and of course my laptop.
Can't even watch Blu-ray on that thing. Stupid ass Nintendo.
Why would I even play this outside with its 30 minutes of battery life? Also I would look stupid, what if anybody saw me playing that huge ass thing in the park? Oh, the embarrassment.
Hope Nintendo goes 3rd party soon so I can play their games on Xbox. I really like their games.

/s

I honestly couldn't tell that was sarcasm without the spoiler tag.

Syril

I am wondering if most of the people saying $250 is the sweet spot bought a Wii U. Nintendo needs to move beyond its core fanbase. Remember, there were a lot of people on GAF defending the Gamepad for the Wii U, and we see how the value of that turned out in the view of the general public.

That's still $50 cheaper than what the basic version Wii U cost on release.

Wait /s means sarcasm? I thought it meant "seriously".

/s is for sarcasm

I'm gonna stay away from threads if it turns out to be more than $250 cause a lot of people will be disappointed.

In this case the tablet serves a real purpose..

I think $250 is a good price for courting the "casual" market but then you have full priced games which people who are used to mobile game prices just aren't going to like

Nanashrew

Banned

Wii U was $300 (white) and $350 (deluxe, black). $250 is fine. It's still competitive. $200 is better and even more competitive but may not be realistic, it's unknown.

Anyone wanting it over $300 USD is asking to kill the system. It's non-competitive, especially more so this late in the game.

Qwyjibo

$330 CAD would be too much for me for a Nintendo-only console. After the Wii U (which I own), Nintendo doesn't deserve a lot of faith.

IF this ends up being the price, I'll wait for the inevitable and, hopefully, cheaper revision 1 or 2 years after launch before considering the Switch.

Anyone know placeholder prices toys r us has put on consoles previously? Do they have a track record of being correct? Could help in seeing how likely this price is.

/s is for sarcasm
I know, I was just joking ;)

Just trying to hold a mirror in front of everyone's face who really and without a doubt think that $249 would be too much for this device.

I will gladly pay up to $349 even, although I hope I won't have to.
My personal sweet spot would be $299. $249 would be hella sweet and I would even think about buying two at that price.

I'll buy six. Three to keep and three to sell. Basing this on Nintendo's inability to stock at launch, I'll net zero out of pocket.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
$249.99 starting price is ace. That means it's probably on a smaller node which helps with pricing. It also means if it's starting at $250 at launch they could get it under $200 during the life cycle. Great news for Nintendo if true.

That's still $50 cheaper than what the basic version Wii U cost on release.

That's not the point. The point is that if everyone who says that the $250 is the sweet spot bought a Wii U, it shows that they aren't the ones who are price sensitive for Nintendo products. Those people had no problem with the price even though the general public did. The people that need to be convinced are the ones who did not buy a Wii U.

A common flaw I see in defending Nintendo is that the people doing it often assume they are the only market that matters. You see comments that contain some form of "I don't care what others say..." or "I love it no matter what". That's perfectly fine as far as personal testimonials, but adds little when talking overall market analysis.

I honestly had no idea people were expecting the switch to be so cheap. I'm hoping Nintendo can pull it off

That's not the point. The point is that if everyone who says that the $250 is the sweet spot bought a Wii U, it shows that they aren't the ones who are price sensitive for Nintendo products. Those people had no problem with the price even though the general public did. The people that need to be convinced are the ones who did not buy a Wii U.

A common flaw I see in defending Nintendo is that the people doing it often assume they are the only market that matters. You see comments that contain some form of "I don't care what others say..." or "I love it no matter what". That's perfectly fine as far as personal testimonials, but adds little when talking overall market analysis.

I think the mindset of the same people who paid more for a Wii U is different now and I believe most who say it's the "sweet spot" are considering the price it would have to be in order to be successful.

Top Bottom