• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reactions to The Fate of the Furious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Press review screening just let out at CinemaCon, and it sounds like they've done it again. Best superhero franchise stays winning, can not wait, I love this saga of cars and family and am so down for this new trilogy they have planned
Colliderfrosty said:

GermainLussier said:

ErikDavis said:

slashfilm said:

sUQvzJjTswBx.gif

Boke1879

Just gonna say this. Gotta give to the people that started this franchise and to those who keep producing these movies.

Because straight up when I went to the theater and saw the first two movies. I NEVER thought they would get to this point.

7 felt like a damn mess but it was still pretty fun.

Since Fast Five this has been the most entertaining movie franchise out at the moment (unless Apes counts, it's only been 2 so far)

glad to hear this is apparently continuing that hot streak after another director change. Justin Lin needs to come back though or get to work on Space Jam 2 right now.

Just gonna say this. Gotta give to the people that started this franchise and to those who keep producing these movies.

Because straight up when I went to the theater and saw the first two movies. I NEVER thought they would get to this point.

It makes absolutely no sense how that turned into this

Arkeband

Banned
The trailers for this have looked like they're competing for the biggest and most stupid movie ever made, so it actually being good is kind of funny in and of itself.

Syriel

Sometimes to have to embrace the absurdity.

As soon as they realized that they were making big, dumb, action flicks and didn't try to shy away from that, they ended up with really awesome big, dumb, action flicks.

When popcorn movies try to be serious, they fail. When they just try to be fun, you get things like this series. :)

DBT85

Yep, have to give credit where it's due. To go from stealing dvd players to having submarines bursting through the ice, nobody ever could have predicted that.

Can't wait to see it!

Boke1879

I know we had this convo in another thread, but you're right. It makes no fucking sense. The series should have ended after the 2nd movie. I even understand Tokyo Drift. Spinoff and it showcased another racing culture.

But after that? I have no idea how it turned into this.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
i am gonna skip this one. i cant remember wtf happened in the last movie. Statham disappointed too. With Han and Paul Walker gone, the series needs new blood and Statham isnt doing anything for me. The rock can only do so much.

they needed a tom cruise or another A list actor like Will Smith. I guess they went for Charlize Theron but she will be just as limited in the villain role as Statham was in the last movie.

My guilty pleasure. The acting is soap like and the action goes cheesy but it's played with such a straight face that I can't not enjoy it. Expect Vin Diesel to have his goofy action moments.

Jacce

Banned

Seems to be a pretty similar evolution to what happened to James Bond in the 60's and 70s.

First two Connery Bond films were low budget serious spy thrillers. It continued to get more and more absurd till we got crazy laser battles in space.

FairyD

Yes!

I was a little let down from FF7 compared to FF6, but FF8 seems to be on track to be good.

I really like the direction the series has taken. It's evolved into a fun action series that doesn't take itself too seriously.

I've never seen any of these films. I don't give a shit about cars or car culture so I always assumed they weren't for me. Plus I don't like Vin Diesel in general (his Groot performance is okay).

Given these things, which of the films should I start with?

7 was so terrible that I'm extremely leary about this one. I wasn't especially crazy about 6 either, though it was a masterpiece of cinema compared to 7. Hope 8 is good!

I've never seen any of these films. I don't give a shit about cars or car culture so I always assumed they weren't for me. Plus I don't like Vin Diesel in general (his Groot performance is okay).

I would start with 4 (it leads directly into 5, the best in the series, and at least in tone is a bit of a soft reboot that got us the current movies), but you should at minimum be familiar with 1's story because much of the plot is concerned with what happened there.

Last entry sorely missed The Rock, until the end. Hope he's a bigger presence.

If I'm remembering correctly, his scenes during the end weren't originally there. Due to Walkers untimely passing, they managed to use additional reshoot time to fit in more Rock.

With this, his schedule was clear.

icespide

Banned

I think it's okay to just start from fast five and ignore the previous films

Kaizer

Banned

The first one lol, just watch them all and marvel at how the insanity slowly ratchets up each film until Fast Five explodes the franchise to new heights.

probably Fast Five if you really don't give a shit about car races or culture.

Though the first is worth a watch as an introduction to La Familia and BBQs and the best one before the series moved towards becoming an over the top action franchise.

Quick

Banned
I'm already in. Watching all 7 FF movies last year made me a believer.

Start from the beginning to fully appreciate how the series eventually changes, but you can't go wrong starting with Tokyo Drift either imo.

I'd just start with the first one, they're all entertaining when you know ahead of time it's not going to just be about street racing after the first 3. Also they kind of unexpectedly start to lean on you knowing the characters, especially in Fast 5 when they just drop like 8 people in a room who only had one or two appearances before and expect you to keep up now that they're the main cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom