• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Red Steel 2 trailer!

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I dig the art style. It was kinda' PoP. I dug the look of the baddie.

This game could be cool, but I'm really suspicious of it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
scitek said:
You can't compare sports games where everything is being done in a very strictly controlled environment to an open-world first-person adventure game, though.
for control interpolation? sure you can. it's just data being read by the system and at the same data rate actually.. just more precise. there might be a small hit with motion+, but I doubt it would even be noticeable.

Now if you tried mapping animations 1:1 or something that's a different story... but even there, there's plenty you can do that just isn't quite 1:1 that would still be a huge improvement over the first and certainly a "next-gen" style leap over QTEs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just want to say, Red Steel 2 is not open world. This made clear in the ONM interview.

scitek said:
You can't compare sports games where everything is being done in a very strictly controlled environment to an open-world first-person adventure game, though.

The game isn't open-world. It's been mentioned several times.

scitek said:
They'll probably make the fights 1-on-1 again so they'll be done in a completely controlled environment.

The scans showed two different screens showing two enemies with swords, and the player attacking with a gun in one screen and a sword in the other.

The interviews also talk about how they want you to rely on your sword instead of your gun, and how you can press the Z Button to lock-on for circling. That means that it's not like the first game, where they forced you into fixed circling with a "sword enemy" at the end of a shooting session.

I know Ubisoft has a lot to prove with this game, man, and it could very well be another big disappointment, but you're not even looking at the info.

I hate Wii commercials and trailers. I don't want to see the dumbass playing the game laughing and smiling. GTFO OF MY TRAILER MAN.

markatisu

scitek said:
You can't compare sports games where everything is being done in a very strictly controlled environment to an open-world first-person adventure game, though. Like I said before,

You just proved my point that "anyone arguing that nobody could have incorporated M+ this fast does not read any inteviews apparently. "

Its not open world, had you read the interviews you would know that and therefore it makes M+ easier to implement.

stewacide

Really dig the art style: cleverly avoids the need for real lighting while keeping the poly' count very low. Clearly this is a high-rez render, but I think it'll be reflective of the real thing.

scitek

EmCeeGramr said:
The interviews also talk about how they want you to rely on your sword instead of your gun, and how you can press the Z Button to lock-on for circling. That means that it's not like the first game, where they forced you into fixed circling with a "sword enemy" at the end of a shooting session.

Ah, I didn't know they had said that. I've only seen the info that was summarized from the NP article a few days ago.

borghe said:
for control interpolation? sure you can. it's just data being read by the system and at the same data rate actually.. just more precise. there might be a small hit with motion+, but I doubt it would even be noticeable.

No, I'm referring to the way the AI has to react to your actions and, well, everything. It's not just a new control device you can shoehorn into a game of this type. You have to design the entire game around it or it could be a disaster.

A sports game with M+ implemented isn't so hard to do because, not only is it a controlled environment with very little going on elsewhere, it's also known exactly how the opponent is expected to and should react. A highly stylized fictional sword fighting game with exaggerated physics, etc. just seems like a much more complicated task as you're basically making it up as you go.

They still have to take into account things like not having feedback when swords clash, etc. It's not like anything they've ever done before, and the pure incompetence they showed with the controls in the first game just doesn't have me believing this team can get something that's inarguably much more complicated right.

I mean, just the fact that Red Steel was as inferior as it was (as far as controls were concerned) to Call of Duty 3 has had me scratching my head ever since the Wii's launch. How could a mid-C-list team at Treyarch get it so much more right than what's supposed to be an A-list-team at Ubisoft?

ksamedi

I wonder how they are going to handle the camera control. I think it will be lock on based but ONM said something about hitting multiple enemies at once. They must have some other system intact as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
UbiSoft to CVG on the trailer
Update: Ubisoft has told CVG that this is a pre-production trailer, was for "internal use only" and was never intended for a general release. It couldn't make any further comments over the content of the trailer, including the mention of its "Destination PlayStation" event at the start but, as we said below, we doubt PS3 owners have any surprises in store.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
scitek said:
Yeah, and the thought that the same team that brought us the first game can be clueless enough about the direction they want the sequel to go to want to scrap it completely and start over just because some new hardware is introduced, makes me chuckle.
Let me stop you right there.

4.jpg

RE4 was started over 3 times before we got that. Never judge a game because the team decides to upend development to start fresh.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Apenheul said:
You can get a per-vertex DOT3 if you enable a hardware (fixed pipeline) light, the light-term then is the result of the dotproduct of the vertex normal and the normalized light direction. This light-term you can use as an interpolator in a TEV stage.
ah, ok. i thought you were talking of per-pixel dot3, implying that i was missing something fundamental about the TEV : )

btw, IIRC, there was a way to use the EMBM matrix transform to fake some per-pixel dot ops there, but that's dot2 + offset, and apparently one of the terms (the one coming through the matrix) would be constant per draw. still, i vaguely remember somebody using it for something non orthodox.

Shaheed79 said:
Let me stop you right there.

4.jpg

RE4 was started over 3 times before we got that. Never judge a game because the team decides to upend development to start fresh.

Holy shit, an actual decent capture of RE4.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
blu said:
ah, ok. i thought you were talking of per-pixel dot3, implying that i was missing something fundamental about the TEV : )

btw, IIRC, there was a way to use the EMBM matrix transform to fake some per-pixel dot ops there, but that's dot2 + offset, and apparently one of the terms (the one coming through the matrix) would be constant per draw. still, i vaguely remember somebody using it for something non orthodox.

Off topic, but do you guys know what kind of motion blur Retro uses with the Metroid Prime games?
I was just curious since turning left/right ingame causes a horrible texture smear on our family's Toshiba HDTV.

Anyways, I hope it turns out well. I enjoyed the first, even with flaws. :)

I really have to say, if this is even half as good as the trailer from a gameplay standpoint, this could very well be my GotY.

Please don't screw this up Ubisoft.

swerve

cvg said:
Update: Ubisoft has told CVG that this is a pre-production trailer, was for "internal use only" and was never intended for a general release. It couldn't make any further comments over the content of the trailer, including the mention of its "Destination PlayStation" event at the start but, as we said below, we doubt PS3 owners have any surprises in store.

SCE to Ubisoft: So we've got this PS3 motion controller, what games can you bring for its launch?

Ubisoft: Well, we're developing a motion controlled sword game for Wii. Check it out.

SCE to Ubisoft: K, cool, bring some footage to destination playstation could you?

Ubisoft: Sure, we'll bring the E3 video over.

Kenka

swerve said:
SCE to Ubisoft: So we've got this PS3 motion controller, what games can you bring for its launch?

Ubisoft: Well, we're developing a motion controlled sword game for Wii. Check it out.

SCE to Ubisoft: K, cool, bring some footage to destination playstation could you?

PS3 port ? Two indications (720p and PlayStation stuff) are probably not relevant enought ot point towards an evidence but... yeah, may happen.

swerve

Kenka said:
PS3 port ? Two indications (720p and PlayStation stuff) are probably not relevant enought ot point towards an evidence but... yeah, may happen.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting that the video is *evidence* of a port. I was more suggesting a reason why it would have been shown at Destination Playstation. There is no other reason that I can see for showing a Wii game at an SCEA meet than to propose bringing that game, or something like it, to PS3.

ToyMachine228 said:
I hate Wii commercials and trailers. I don't want to see the dumbass playing the game laughing and smiling. GTFO OF MY TRAILER MAN.
Pretty much. Only thing I hate more is the big flashing buttons and waggling wiimotes on screen telling me what to do...as if its hard to figure out :lol

swerve

TurtleSnatcher said:
lawlz at everyone hypothesizing it will come on a Sony system...

Did you read what we were saying? I'm not expecting RS2 on PS3. My thoughts are simply that they would have shown that to SCEA to give SCEA a flavour of what they can do with the new controller.

It's a little unusual for an independent publisher to show work in progress for one system - especially one which hasn't been even properly announced - to the platform holders of another. There must have been a purpose to it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
vanguardian1 said:
Off topic, but do you guys know what kind of motion blur Retro uses with the Metroid Prime games?
I was just curious since turning left/right ingame causes a horrible texture smear on our family's Toshiba HDTV.
i have no idea. was there any motion blur outside of cutscenes to begin with?

wsippel

Banned
swerve said:
Yeah, I'm not suggesting that the video is *evidence* of a port. I was more suggesting a reason why it would have been shown at Destination Playstation. There is no other reason that I can see for showing a Wii game at an SCEA meet than to propose bringing that game, or something like it, to PS3.
Maybe it wasn't shown at Destination Playstation, but during Destination Playstation. In a Ubisoft hotel suite or somthing. Similar to AMDs hotel suite presentations during some Intel event (IDF or something) each year. The audience is there after all, so why not take advantage of the situation, even if it's not directly related to the actual event.

swerve said:

Pretty much.

Raide

swerve said:

Its more likely to be

Ubi: Here are some of the products we are working on.
SCE: Looking good...ohh, whats RS2?
Ubi: Take a look. Its internal footage only, so no leaking it ok!
SCE: Promise! :D

Apenheul

blu said:

Hmm, I'd have to give it more thought. The Indirect Texture Unit (EMBM) enables you to do dependent lookups per-pixel, but for the moment I cannot imagine a trick using a lookup that gets you a dotproduct with the lightvector. Interesting idea though. Unfortunately I don't have anything to do with GameCube or Wii anymore.

bdouble

John Harker said:
so... it's a pre-production trailer, eh? So the game just went into actual production after February 09? yea ok

What? No. This was probably made soon after they found out about M+. As the video says "for internal use only".

schlew

I find it odd that Ubisoft is saying that this footage was not for public consumption, yet in the Nintendo Power article, they use screen grabs from that video (as well as shots that are I assume in-game, unless they're from an as of yet unreleased extended version of this internal footage).

Anyways, I find this game's history pretty interesting. It's funny to know were the title not to have been pulled from its original developer, it still would've been a big departure from RS1. I hope the game is in good hands, I don't want all my anticipation to go to waste.

EatChildren

schlew said:
I find it odd that Ubisoft is saying that this footage was not for public consumption, yet in the Nintendo Power article, they use screen grabs from that video (as well as shots that are I assume in-game, unless they're from an as of yet unreleased extended version of this internal footage).

Screen grabs are likely from a different build, possibly the 'real' build. I know it's identical in what's going on, but the gun model is different in each. I don't see why they'd bother replacing JUST a gun model in a bullshot trailer, and then give them screens of that.

Screenboy

im guessing it was internal as in saying to employees: 'this is what we're aiming for' and if theyre close theyll just re-use the bald-smiler crap with ingame stuff.

Top Bottom